Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I ran one years ago, middling turnout but that was when GiP was in infancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly I never minded Yorktown. As long as you have a car it's fine. If not, then may god have mercy on your soul.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Find a friend!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Go hang out with Grover

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

Didn't you actually do this?

Yes, more than once.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

My OSC called me and let me know to be in trops at Coast Guard island on December 1 because i'm getting advanced.

I will triple verify this poo poo tomorrow, but I have no reason to distrust him.

Edit: I will also be rocking the Winter Blues because that uniform is sweet as gently caress.

Surprise Mast, calling it right now. What have you messed up recently that might be blowing back on you?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Extending billets with training would be great, especially since some stuff, like Hvy Wx Coxswain can take a long time ontop of the normal stuff.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Two of the guys I Was stationed with last are cops here, first thing I did was check to see if it was them, thankfully it wasn't. Thankfully also the cop that did get shot (in the back, no less) is stable.

I made a joke on the CG Meme's page which BLEW UP with people getting super infuriated.

edit: word on the street from some folks around here is the shooter was down in VA, and was an IT being discharged (no consensus if it was a tour is up discharge or a get the gently caress out discharge). His ex (a girl and a coastie) moved in with another girl coastie and were shacking up, and thats why he came back shooting.

This terminal lance is accurate, I can only imagine we'll find out in the coming weeks: http://terminallance.com/2012/01/23/terminal-lance-174-breaking-news/

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

Sounds about right for an IT.

RIGHT!?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I hear y'all are not getting paid, maybe?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Haven't heard anything official from my chain or anywhere else, still would have to go to watch regardless.

I'm just seeing lots of stuff flying around facebook.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

They're Harpoon Launchers, looking at them not on my phone, so I bet someone took the fact that the WHEC's had Harpoons (for one glorious moment) and stuck them on the MEC

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dolphin makes a "hard landing" at SFO. Looks like everybody's alright, but that's a hell of a hard landing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQmllwTKtqU

A completely unbelievable story if not for the fact that it happened. 36500 is still around too, which is impressive (albeit maintained by the aux).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's been years since I read the book, remind me again about the cook's death?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

He gets chrushed between the lifeboat and the tanker. The book also mentions that years later Webber meets the cook's widow and kid. :smith:

Oh for some dumb reason I was thinking the cook at the station, herp derp. I imagine they'll still have him die but probably won't show the gruesome death.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Melthir posted:

What the gently caress is up with these god drat nonrates with anthropology degrees that some how think the college makes them special. I just had one ask me not to call him a dude because he identified as gender neutral. :wtc:

I hope you laughed in his stupid face. Maybe talk to him about otherkin or something less silly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Oh, couple days ago was the anniversary of Coastie Goon Calvert killing himself, popped back up on my facebook memories. Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

krispykremessuck posted:

On this day 4 years ago you creepily attended a funeral for someone you never met.

Eh, he was a Coastie, a Goon, and we were internet friends. I felt close enough to justify it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

On a side note, this is making the rounds:

I guess they can't afford a deck force or something?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 25, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

An ETC and a SN from my last unit shared this, kinda wanted to point out if I cherry picked a picture from the cutter it would also look like rusty pile of white poo poo.

But like with all dumb poo poo those two share I just ignored it and moved on with my life.

We never pulled into homeport looking that bad, in fact I know of at least 1 time we waited to set special sea detail until some of the deckies cleaned poo poo up. Especially bad when you consider the Bertholf is a pseudo-flagship for the fleet.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Back in my day ... deck force ... pride ... something something. I'm just kidding, I was an OPS BM, I didn't pick up a needlegun until I was at a station and only then to hand to hand to a BM3.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ElMaligno posted:

Hand to hand needle gun battles sounds like the type of stupid poo poo i need in my life.

I'm not even going to edit that typo out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Love these paintjobs for the 100th whatever it is

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This is the only one that kinda makes me shudder:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

depends on what school you transfer the credit hours to. Different places accept and deny different things. you really won't know what you'll keep and lose until you have them send a sealed transcript to your school.

i kept about 60 credits from mine. also got to skip college phys ed and the freshman "wash your rear end" health class.

I was able to argue a few of my military credits into skipping a US Constitution type requirement. Most schools are pretty flexible if you find the right dept chair and talk to them like a human being.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

#learntofuckingfloss

I'm still fighting with the VA about how bad CG dental was when I got out. Just got my senator involved but even he's stonewalling me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

Maybe if you hadn't eaten your way out of the CG, your teeth wouldn't have been so bad.

That might have been preferable. Although I don't know if weight programming out would have meted an honorable so maybe not.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

UWBW posted:

What do Coasties do when they aren't out saving lives? Sit around reading books? Serious question.

Also, I've heard Officers are given a poo poo-ton of work, and the job is hard as hell until you get up the food chain. What exactly does an officer do that enlisted men can't/won't?

Preventative maintenance, training, working on qualifications, training, hiding from your boss while looking busy, makework, painting things that got painted less than a year ago, training, etc. It varies wildly, but a lot of the focus is getting fully qualified to fill your billet, then the day to day work of staying qualified, and qualifying others, training to save lives/do the mission, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does one of you guys have access to SAROPS? I am working on a research paper and I recall seeing or having access to some sort of chart that essential laid out how far you could see a PIW from X distance in Y sea state. Maybe as a guideline? I looked through the addendum to the national SAR manual but am coming up dry. I am hoping to be able to cite something other than myself and personal knowledge.

I never played with SAROPS but would that or one of it's manuals/references have that sort of table?

edit: well AS I posted this, I found the table. Huzzah!

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 1, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Good because I wasn't about to go in and help you.

I figured the guy who just got qualified would have known it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

All I saw was your name and that you were asking for something and had a blanket denial statement typed out.

OK? I'm glad you posted that I guess

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know what, I totally forgot you guys existed.

Keep on keeping on I suppose :shobon:

A real metaphor for the existence of the Coast Guard in general.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The best part of the Coast Guard losing your DD-214 is that your remaining copy is the only one that exists, the worst part is having to explain to employers that yes you served and this copy of a copy is the only copy.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin was stationed in Woodshole and I was stationed (and still live) one town over.

The area is decent, about an hour to Boston, traffic in the summer but plenty to do if you like beaches, boating, summer poo poo. Pretty dead off season but again not so far from a major city as to be a desert.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dude just get a flight suit, throw OS(1,2,3 etc) on it and rake in the ladies. Tell them you're a P-100 pilot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just got back from a three week deployment for the Red Cross in Houston and honestly it's one of the worst big cities I've ever visited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I hope Annies is still there. The absolute worst strip club I've ever visited, one of the chiefs from NMLBS was dating the only attractive stripper there. I have vague memories of riding around in the back of her pickup truck screaming coxswainly with said chief, drunk as hell.

• Locked thread