Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Elendil004 posted:

Oh, couple days ago was the anniversary of Coastie Goon Calvert killing himself, popped back up on my facebook memories. Fair Winds and Following Seas.

On this day 4 years ago you creepily attended a funeral for someone you never met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Man gently caress you

lmao

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

And yet you felt the need to express your bitter saltiness to the coast guard in the dumbest way possible.

I got zero saltiness toward the Coast Guard, Elendil, QP, or you, bud.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

lol good time to pick up dwo

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

to be fair studying for the swe can be a total crapshoot and depends highly on whether your study program aligned with the course-writer's whims. the 2011 bmc swe looked like my 2006 sk1 swe for example

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Oh I know, it simply doesnt excuse the massive ammount of whinning I am going to be hearing.

gently caress 'em dude. I wrote the number one test for SK1 when I made it and didn't study at all, and the people bitching at me when I told them I didn't was fuckin nuts. I was getting unsolicited e-mails from random rear end people about it. my advice to people then and now was "know your job" :smuggo: optional

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

Thinking about applying for the UK engineer exchange anyone done it or know of anyone who has done it?

just apply for it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Cool. Good luck, that sounds like a rad program.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

Looks like I'm going to England.

Congrats, dude.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

edit: Oh, and now doing your PCS travel claim through TPAX is going to be a thing...because really, the YN's had one loving job after they disposed of all their other duties, so they decided to stop doing the one travel claim they had to do, so now it will be on you. I guess they do weigh-ins and bitch about that 2 months out of the year.

they're gonna roll it into sk dude. I'm so glad I left

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

gently caress it. They will either learn, get out or make use of the suicide hotline. Can't be any worse than these retards we have joining for the bonus. Retards are retards.

yes it can. it can always be worse

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Crash74 posted:

45k bonus!

is that what its up to for cooks now

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

So I have a mostly useless undergrad, I'm a firefighter / hazardous materials technician but I'm not paid to do those things. I am more interested in operations and management than the actual technician work, but enjoy all of it. Unfortunately I'm stuck in the hole of being trained but not experienced outside some pill counting and ems jobs. Mostly I'm a guy who is voluntarily between careers and wants a mid level supervisory tier job, but I'm also married with a house and poo poo so welp.

Today I got it in my head to look at military side of the disaster response / preparedness / safety and inspection career path instead of the civilian side, and I know coast guard does a bunch of that stuff. I don't want to talk to a recruiter yet because my experience when I was considering enlisting before is that recruiters are more persistent than debt collectors once they have your info.

I realize everyone is generally salty about their .mil jobs but if you don't mind humoring me, do jobs in environmental protection and hazmat safety and such exist at the officer level in the CG? How about for reservists? Should I just pursue a highly competitive GS job harder? Is this complete idiot thinking?

I realize this is a thread for guys who are already in but I don't see a recruitment / questions for dudes who have not made decisions yet thread.

Go talk to a recruiter. The relationship between recruiters and potential recruits for the CG is usually inverted from your past experience. Especially if you're a white male. Do not enlist.

RE: Civil Service - veteran's preference can help you get your foot in the door, but unless you're planning on going Civil Service for the CG, your experience may not be as portable as you would probably like to think. If you're already considering this path as some part in the future, just start now. Start applying -- the veteran's preference thing isn't as big of a deal as people want to make it (unless you're talking about a VRA which is non-competitive). Look for career ladder positions that you're interested in. This will pay off far more down the road if you start early than taking a commission or committing the heinous crime of enlisting with a degree.

It sounds to me like you want to walk in the door as someone's boss, which is a recipe for disaster.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

I thinking (hoping) that with my experience in the GS equivalent of storekeeper or yeoman

What was your series? 03XX, 05XX, 11XX? I was a Storekeeper for 11 years, and it was never open for direct PO entry, and I've known precisely one YN1 to come in direct-entry, and he was a yeoman in the Navy that did a lateral service transfer. Were I you, I wouldn't pin my hopes, prayers, or aspirations on that. To state this most simply: Direct-entry would have to be endorsed by the RFMC as well as the manning bean-counters in Topeka. I've been out for a few years at this point, but I feel confident in saying that while those aren't insurmountable problems, the likelihood that you specifically bring something to the table that the RFMC would want to go to bat for a direct entry reservist is very, very slim. Storekeeper specifically as a rating was never undermanned on the reserve or active component side while I was in, and I really, really doubt it would be now.

That said:

De Nomolos posted:

1. It's listed on the recruiting website. I've talked to a recruiter and they also mentioned it.

2. No. I'm no longer GS. I like my private sector civilian job I have currently in another city in Virginia. I want to apply for a reserve billet at Portsmouth or Elizabeth City.

1. Lots of things are listed on the recruiting site. You worked at HQ for how many years? Have you checked if direct entry actually applies to the Storekeeper rating? I don't mean checking with a recruiter. I mean checking actual policies and procedures manuals? I'm rusty on instruction numbers, but accessions used to be under COMDINST M1000.2, so you'll want to check there, or its equivalent. It will likely cover the entire process and accession authority that would allow you to enter directly as a Petty Officer.

2. What paygrade is the reserve billet at E. City?

e: Not to say you shouldn't try, but you should know what you're up against.

COMDTINST M1100.2F 6.E.2:

quote:

Storekeeper (SK)
3 or More (Years Experience)
High school or business school graduate.

Full-time business or accounting experience in such positions or fields as supply chain management, inventory management, logistics, data transcriber, supply clerk, purchasing agent, contracting officer, or accounts payable clerk (or may substitute at least two years of full-time experience, plus one year – 36 quarter-hours – of college-level study in a related field).

The sticking point here will be your job title/PD while you were at HQ -- specifically related to the last two numbers of your series. If you were an XX01 series, it's probably going to be harder to explain the nexus between your series and the supply chain management, etc. unless your PD is/was very specifically related to those subjects. Also this program carries a minimum age requirement of 27.

If you meet all those requirements and for some reason still want to be a Storekeeper, then by all means: apply.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 15, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Not selling yourself short on a rating would be picking an actual no-poo poo thinking rating, like IS, IT, ET or AET. If you've got the ASVAB to be in any of those ratings, why go SK? What part of being a Storekeeper (or Yeoman) do you think you'll like? The cold reality of being a reservist is that short of deployments, you're never going to be left in charge of anything or really left to work on anything except for things people trust can't be hosed up, or GMT. Mostly GMT. I used to have like 10 reserve SKs that I was in charge of creating projects for.

The prior active duty guys got some real work depending on what they'd dealt with while they were active. The pure reservists, including some civil service folks got filing tasks or inventory. Essentially, sit in the corner and color. If it was during their two-weeks and I was going to be around a bunch to supervise them I might let them have a shot at accounts-reconciliation, but even then I was there hand-holding them every second of the day, and definitely not because I wanted to or because it was my style of management.

Working at headquarters gave you a taste of the Coast Guard, and likely a super-idealized taste. The field, especially on the military side looks a lot different while you're wearing the blue suit. If you don't want to sell yourself short, my advice would be to investigate commissioning opportunities prior to any enlistment opportunities. If you're looking for a bigger-picture type career with some mid-level management experience, that's likely your best bet.

Listen, I don't want to come across as the guy telling you not to join up if that's what you think is the right thing to do. If it really is, there are better opportunities to serve within the Coast Guard. Consider all your options, and don't lock yourself into a bad rating because that's the closest thing you can peg your experience to. Especially if it's something silly like: I don't want to go to bootcamp.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Id never think that whatever I'd do WOULDN'T involve bootcamp. That's silly. Commissioning in CG would require (likely) medical background or prior service from what I understand. I'd love to take the ASVAB and score high for IS. I got the job doing SK work after getting laid off in 2010 and it was the best thing ever to get that, but it wasn't my dream or anything. I'm still doing my research on all this. And yes, HQ did probably give me a skewed view (best job environment I've ever had, miss it all the time) and yes I figured it would make sense to seek a rate similar to my GS job. Are you saying that's not the best way to approach? Is my approach too narrow?

HQ is the best kept secret in the Coast Guard. The Finance Center is the place Storekeepers go to die. I think you're pre-emptively narrowing your search based on past job experience. That's rational and natural, but what I'm trying to say is it's probably not necessary. Unless the Direct Petty Officer program is literally your only path to accession, I think you'd be better served to look at the other ratings first. Go take the ASVAB, see if you can make it into IS or something. IS/IT weren't ratings when I joined, but if I were doing it all over today, those would be the way I go.

There's a benefit to joining as a reservist in that whatever ratings are open to reservists, you get turbo'd to the top of the "A" School list as soon as you finish bootcamp. Keep that in mind before you decide on SK. As far as commissioning opportunities go, take a look at the recruiting manual (COMDTINST M1100.2F) and see if there are commissioning programs available to you. nwin is an actual commissioned officer so he'd probably know more about this stuff than anyone else here. I think any of us that were or are in would caution you against just going with what a recruiter is probably telling you.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Should I be saying "thanks but no thanks" if E-3 is the best they can start me at, or is that going to vary by job? Looking at this from the perspective of a 31 year old who's been working since 18 in some sort of job with (mostly pointless) responsibilities.

The bigger question here is what responsibilities do you think a non-deployed reservist is ever going to have? At best your drill days will pay for themselves/Tricare. You're likely to spend a whole lot of those drill days completing the various required online briefings about sexual assault and preventing the heinous crime of underage drinking. I don't know what the time-in-grade requirement is for advancement from E3 to E4 is in the reserve, but active side it was 6 months. You're not going to be spending a long time at that paygrade, or really any paygrade.

I'm 31 now and can't imagine going back, and I went into the CG at 17. So trying to frame it from that perspective, I don't exactly understand wanting to join up at 31. I especially don't understand wanting to go into a rating that won't net any sort of meaningful skills outside of going back to Civil Service, or integrating into the active component.

I will say that even if you enter the service at E-3, if you take one of the thinking ratings mentioned above that by the time you get out of "A" School and any relevant "C" Schools (do reservists get those? I don't know) you're likely to already meet the TIG requirement for E4, which is a push-button advancement.

Some of the folks that are active duty currently can probably offer more insight, especially any that might supervise reservists (nwin). I'm just some crusty GS guy now that doesn't even work for the Coast Guard.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

On a side note, this is making the rounds:

I guess they can't afford a deck force or something?

lol old people

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

SMDFTB posted:

It's funny going to the Chief's Mess now for beers, because holy poo poo are some of these guys loving alcoholics who hate everything.

Krispy-SK question for you. Have you ever heard that you need to be designated in writing by the CO of the unit in order to have business cards? I'm not just talking having legit cards ordered for you, I'm talking even being able to get the printer paper cardstock that you can print your own cards with. Apparently the CWO F&S is adamant about it. If I wasn't TAD I'd just go in there and ask where in the FRRM or other policy is says that. If it is legit, it's no big deal, I plan on just making a huge loving memo with everyone's name on it and watching the Captain laugh while they sign it.

COMDTINST 7100.3E FINANCIAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT MANUAL 5.6.10.4 posted:

5.6.10.4 Business Cards and Information Cards
Printing business cards, either commercially or by utilizing the Government Printing Office (GPO), is not authorized except in those rare cases where a specific statutory authority exists (e.g., recruiters, and Academy admissions officials). Business cards may be produced in-house when a commanding officer has determined that the cards are necessary to perform official duties and to facilitate mission-related business communications (as distinct from social or business courtesy).

Local production of cards will use Coast Guard standard computer hardware and software on perforated card stock that may be obtained with unit appropriated funds using standard unit procurement procedures and policies. Commandant (CG-6) has created a standard macro that shall be used to produce the cards. The macro, BusCard.dot, may be found in the USCGMacrosII folder on the Coast Guard standard workstation.

So while it does say that the CO's determination is required, I'm going to say that in my opinion it doesn't rise to the level of individuals needing to be designated specifically in writing. As an example, to meet the requirement of the CO having determined, a note, local instruction, or e-mail (it counts) saying, "These positions in the [whatever] Division have a mission requirement to interface with the public sector, and shall be authorized to locally produce business cards."

There may be further guidance in the HSAR, SAP Handbook, and other places, but typically they all mirror the same thing. Keep in mind, most SKs, including F&S warrants have no actual background or experience in budget execution beyond the actual procurement actions. They tend to make poo poo up based on hearsay or policies that haven't been updated (or worse, cancelled) or superseded. If you confront them on this, they'll try to weasel around it or worse stonewall based on being the last line in the sand. In that case, take it up to the district budget officer, or if you're under a different sponsoring agency, take it to the area or HQ level.

Coast Guard poo poo isn't really my wheelhouse anymore, but Budget Execution sure as gently caress is, and 99% of people in the SK rating have no loving clue how appropriated funding works / is designed to work. They're mostly just button-pushers.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

SMDFTB posted:

This is awesome-thanks.

The memo, e-mail, or whatever could be even more vague. It could just acknowledge that the M Division (I'm guessing) has a generally externally-facing job and requires perforated card-stock. It's likely that the people in the supply office have literally no idea what you guys do, since they probably never leave their bubble. Procurement poo poo is pretty checklist driven at his point, they may already have a space on the checklist for that, which in that case they could just walk the PR over to the command office and ask for the CO's signature. They're making it into a bigger deal than it is, but it's because the person in charge is scared to deal with it.

But yeah -- if they didn't provide you with the actual guidance/policy (verbatim), that's a garbage response from supply. I suggest bringing that up at the next staff meeting. It was a big problem when I was in, and it was a big problem here when I first took this job. Policy questions should be answered with policy. Not an interpretation of policy, not what they think. The policy itself. At that point an interpretation of the policy can be made -- but those can and probably should be challenged if the interpretation doesn't stack up with the wording.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

poo poo I don't even know you and your already my favorite SK type.

When I was a SK, I spent a lot of time face-to-face with the people I was supporting. I had an altogether different attitude and approach to doing that job than I think most Storekeepers take. Instead of just telling people no, I took the time to show policy exhibits, and explain why the answer was no, and what alternatives/exceptions were available. If there were exceptions, I'd usually go to the trouble of at least giving them a template/instructions on how to take advantage if they thought they could do so.

Not being an rear end in a top hat in that rating goes a long loving way toward getting people to work with you. Especially if you keep them updated on what's expected on requests.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

hey boys :bigtran:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I was visiting a friend on a 378 the other day and goddamn lmao @ all of you

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

if you're living in astoria just drive down to cannon beach or lincoln city every weekend and sleep in your car on the beach. alternatively drive down to crescent city and pretend you never left california

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

mackensie posted:

What do you want to be at the end of your term?

mackensie is the only one that is pointing this guy in the right direction.

Also just to be clear don't find yourself stuck in IT somehow, that ship has sailed. So, unless you're going to somehow be an enlisted network architect (you won't) it's not worth your time unless you relish the idea of running a helldesk and telling people you don't support printers.

But I've been out for five years who knows maybe admiral z is actually an IT guy.

Anyway, go boasting mate for like 4 years and take your GI bill and blow it on some trade school thing if you don't like desk jobs and DO like being hourly.

Otherwise pick intel (if you can get a TS) or logistics/acq if you can't get TS. Actually don't pick logistics/acq because that's an awful place to end up altogether.

Go intel, or pick a gently caress-off easy rating and use the military to get a leg-up in life. Icebreakers are great, but don't go married/not single though. God that would have turned the best assignment I had into pure hell.

disclaimer: I've been out for five years but I'm not as old as mackensie. CG is way ahead on some poo poo, way behind on others. If those of you that are somehow still in are still using FPD and complaining about it, don't. It could be way worse. And, in fact, is in other, bigger departments. ;)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

I run the floor at the Alaska MAT. Ask me anything about maintenance.

do they still hide the ccti stuff under the crow's nest boiler room???

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

Nothing is under the crows best but a bit of scaffolding and some drop lights.

I spent a lot of time in the crow's nest and occupying the watchroom in bertholf. I guess also the guard shacks at the various gates. ~memories~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Melthir posted:

Watch room is gone, we ripped it out while waiting on the FRC it's another galley now.

do they keep finding various 2x4s/4x4s getting stuck in the lift station next to industrial???

• Locked thread