Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

This is the 'Guide to Vvardenfell' she gave me: a rough map of southern Morrowind with all the major cities marked on it.

I'm preserving this for posterity, because that's quite clearly the north. And Vvardenfell is north of Morrowind landmass anyway.
edit: Anyway, the smuggler cave is nice and short, since you're pretty much expected to do it right after disembarking. So try that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

During this update I realized you sold your starting dagger and have been walking around with literally no short blade weapon.

GO BUY A SHORT BLADE WEAPON WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 7, 2014

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Take a brief nap, then deal with the smugglers in the cave.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

I'm preserving this for posterity, because that's quite clearly the north. And Vvardenfell is north of Morrowind landmass anyway.
edit: Anyway, the smuggler cave is nice and short, since you're pretty much expected to do it right after disembarking. So try that.

I thought Solstheim was the northern part?

Lizard Wizard posted:

During this update I realized you sold your starting dagger and have been walking around with literally no short blade weapon.

GO BUY A SHORT BLADE WEAPON WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

I just looted one off Tarhiel. Chill, bro.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I can't wait for you to give this entire thread of ES nerds myself included an aneurysm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

I thought Solstheim was the northern part?
Solstheim is a small island to the northeast of Vvardenfell. If you have Bloodmoon, you'll visit it at some point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

I just looted one off Tarhiel. Chill, bro.

Huh. I wasn't entirely sure if that was a short or long blade, my mistake.

You're still kind of a bonehead for not having a weapon this whole time though. :colbert:

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity
Go get dem smiggly smugglers

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I can't wait for you to give this entire thread of ES nerds myself included an aneurysm.

I think we are already having them.

Anyway I have a few points:
Do NOT attempt to take on any Daedric poo poo at this level, you will not survive. Seriously remember unlike un-modded Oblivion and Skyrim; Morrowind is not scaled to your character level. This means the big tough Daedra that are difficult for the mid leveled characters to take on are still sitting in those shrines and will destroy you. Stick to the lower leveled stuff like the Smugglers Cave for now, and work in or around towns where things are typically lower leveled. The basic starting quests for the Mages, Fighters and House's are also a good starting point.

Secondly, the reason your punching may have been stupidly ineffective even against the Kwama Forager is not just because of your low Unarmed skill but also because you appeared to be fighting at 0 stamina. Lower stamina makes your attacks less likely to hit. Try alternating between walking and running in areas where you are worried about fights breaking out, and when you're in combat default to walking to avoid wasting stamina unless you really need to run to avoid stuff.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 8, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Secondly, the reason your punching may have been stupidly ineffective even against the Kwama Forager is not just because of your low Unarmed skill but also because you appeared to be fighting at 0 stamina. Lower stamina makes your attacks less likely to hit.

Can't stress enough how important this is - and it's not just fighting; your current stamina level influences everything. Don't even talk to someone if you've got low stamina.

The number of times I've seen footage of someone new to Morrowind flailing away at something with zero stamina while complaining loudly about "Morrowind's lovely combat"... yep, there it is. There's that aneurysm. (Not directing that at ScreamingLlama, to be clear.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it is a pretty lovely mechanic and was quite honestly improved by making it a non-issue in Oblivion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Making it literally the only thing improved by Oblivion.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

anilEhilated posted:

Pretty much.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
No argument here.

This is actually why I'm such a big fan of the enchanted ~magic pants~ of restore fatigue I mentioned earlier. :v:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Huh. I wasn't entirely sure if that was a short or long blade, my mistake.

You're still kind of a bonehead for not having a weapon this whole time though.

Gotta level up my Destruction skill somehow.

Antistar01 posted:

Can't stress enough how important this is - and it's not just fighting; your current stamina level influences everything. Don't even talk to someone if you've got low stamina.

You gotta be shittin' me.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Bear in mind that this IS a mostly blind LP; I'm plenty familiar with TES lore, but this is the first time I've spent any meaningful amount of time actually playing Morrowind.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just make sure to read all of the 36 lessons of Vivec :tinfoil:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Just make sure to read all of the 36 lessons of Vivec :tinfoil:
Sermons of Vivec are actually pretty drat great when you stop a while and start paying attention to what's going on, even notwithstanding the CHIM conspiracy theories. Basically you shouldn't EVER let a poet anywhere near your religion.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Since you're playing this the way God Vivec intended, go get those loving Boots of Blinding Speed right now. This is the best ES game and I look forward to your misadventures.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

ScreamingLlama posted:

You gotta be shittin' me.

He isn't. Besides that, you can wear clothes under your armour, and a robe on top of it all. And like he said, getting yourself an enchanted piece of clothing with Restore Fatigue on it is a no-brainer.

Edit for clarity: Higher-value clothing can hold higher enchantments. Get a pair of expensive pants from a clothier and a filled soul gem and go see an enchanter. Can all be done in Balmora.

Old Grey Guy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 8, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Old Grey Guy posted:

He isn't. Besides that, you can wear clothes under your armour, and a robe on top of it all. And like he said, getting yourself an enchanted piece of clothing with Restore Fatigue on it is a no-brainer.

Edit for clarity: Higher-value clothing can hold higher enchantments. Get a pair of expensive pants from a clothier and a filled soul gem and go see an enchanter. Can all be done in Balmora.
Additionally Restore Fatigue potions can be made using reagents that are both easy to find and inexpensive to buy, while also being a great way of levelling up Alchemy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

Additionally Restore Fatigue potions can be made using reagents that are both easy to find and inexpensive to buy, while also being a great way of levelling up Alchemy.
Yeah, part of the reason why I was trying to steer him towards the Mages' Guild is that the first few quests will literally tell you potion recipes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Additionally, Encumbrance is not a true/false thing. If you go over encumbrance you'll be stuck, but even before that your walking/running speed is affected by your current encumbrance/max encumbrance. Meaning that you'll walk faster at 100 weight than at 250 weight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

double nine posted:

Additionally, Encumbrance is not a true/false thing. If you go over encumbrance you'll be stuck, but even before that your walking/running speed is affected by your current encumbrance/max encumbrance. Meaning that you'll walk faster at 100 weight than at 250 weight.

Yes also this. Forgot to mention this. In (at least) Skyrim you only slow down once you go over your weight limit, in Morrowind it takes EVERYTHING into account for your speed. As such Endurance and Speed are both important stats just for trekking about the world.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Yes also this. Forgot to mention this. In (at least) Skyrim you only slow down once you go over your weight limit, in Morrowind it takes EVERYTHING into account for your speed. As such Endurance and Speed are both important stats just for trekking about the world.

And that's why I prefer light armor: less weight == more carry weight for loot and faster walking.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Old Grey Guy posted:

This is why I loved Morrowind so much - it does something that no other game lets you. Its lets you enchant every single inch of yourself with stupid crap and then throw armour over top that you can also enchant. And none of this "only one right" bullshit. You get one on each hand!

Exquisite Clothes are fantastic, and I highly recommend buying a Open 100 Lock on Cast enchantment on a pair of pants as soon as possible.

Also, Help Hriskar. gently caress the Bosmer (all elves in that matter).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For the love of god, don't tell the guy to rush for a restore fatigue enchantment. At this point in the game, especially if he's just lurking around Seyda Neen, Scribs and Mudcrabs won't exactly murder him. As long as he stops to rest for an hour when he expects combat (ie outside of a cave or tomb) he'll be fine.

anilEhilated posted:

My vast and regenerating reserves of magicka would like a word with you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I dunno, for all the improvements that ought to feel like, magic in Oblivion and even Skyrim never quite feels as badass as I feel it ought to. It's like being limited to the first three spell levels in D&D, which is alright, but it misses out on the cool stuff 4th level and above can pull.

To make a really abstract comparison. It also isn't really the fault of the games, they never meant to go there. But it just feels sad to be an archmage and exhausting your entire magicka bar to kill one dude.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

To make a really abstract comparison. It also isn't really the fault of the games, they never meant to go there. But it just feels sad to be an archmage and exhausting your entire magicka bar to kill one dude.
It's the fault of Bethesda switching to the consoles as the development platform. Levitation, multi-story buildings and generally the third dimension were taken out because the X360 couldn't handle it. Multiple minion summoning was apparently taken out because the players couldn't handle it.
So yeah, enjoy your regenerating magic to make... slightly bigger fireballs?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

For the love of god, don't tell the guy to rush for a restore fatigue enchantment. At this point in the game, especially if he's just lurking around Seyda Neen, Scribs and Mudcrabs won't exactly murder him. As long as he stops to rest for an hour when he expects combat (ie outside of a cave or tomb) he'll be fine.

Okay, you're right. We should not be min-maxing. However, still a few pointers. For starters: weapons have 3 attack "styles" and 3 stats for each. This is vestigial from Daggerfall & Arena. Just go into options and select the option that auto-selects the best attack. Headache avoided.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Mordaedil posted:

I dunno, for all the improvements that ought to feel like, magic in Oblivion and even Skyrim never quite feels as badass as I feel it ought to. It's like being limited to the first three spell levels in D&D, which is alright, but it misses out on the cool stuff 4th level and above can pull.

Which is why mods exists. To fix things that shouldn't have been broken.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

It's the fault of Bethesda switching to the consoles as the development platform. Levitation, multi-story buildings and generally the third dimension were taken out because the X360 couldn't handle it. Multiple minion summoning was apparently taken out because the players couldn't handle it.
So yeah, enjoy your regenerating magic to make... slightly bigger fireballs?

Certain PC's also couldn't handle the cities all being in the same world-mesh, but as far as I remember it, open cities was quickly one of the most popular mods for both Oblivion and Skyrim. If not only because it would theoretically allow levitation back in.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IIRC it's less the graphical strain and more the scripting engine not being able to manage too many npcs active at once. I know that's one of the major issues with a new vegas mod that unites the various Freeside and New Vegas Strip game areas: there are so many npcs that the game just gives up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

double nine posted:

IIRC it's less the graphical strain and more the scripting engine not being able to manage too many npcs active at once. I know that's one of the major issues with a new vegas mod that unites the various Freeside and New Vegas Strip game areas: there are so many npcs that the game just gives up.

Yeah, I personally just use mods that tack extra throw away NPCS into the cities in order to make them feel bigger.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I don't disagree that spells have gotten less powerful, but it's not magicka regeneration in and of itself that caused this to happen.

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity
While I do miss my levitate abilities, I have to say that in later games the mechanics of actually using spells are infinitely more satisfying.

Also if you're still looking for a good short blade, I believe there's some decent discount weaponry somewhere in Suran.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter V: Losers, Users and Deadbeats

After a quick round trip to the Balmora temple to get more magicka from the Tribunal, I headed for Addamasartus Cave to deal with the smugglers.

TIME TO DIE, ELF :black101:

Though one gate at the end and another gate on the left, I found a trio of slaves: a Khajiit and two Argonians.

Freeing them was :effortless:

Poor slaves. Those bracers would keep them starved of magicka, so even if they knew how to magically unlock stuff, they still wouldn't have the wherewithal. Oh well, those things should fetch me some gold, at least.

Finally, someone with magic to fight! Someone who can recharge my magicka for me! :science:

Smuggler: Filthy n'wah!
Bjorca: Who you calling filthy? *electrocute*

Heavy Armor is one of my secondary skills, so levelling it up ASAP is a smooth idea.

As is looting the nearby crates. :20bux:

Unforunately, all this loot is weighing me down, so I have to duck back to Arrille's before I continue clearing out the cave.

FINE I'LL JUST SIT OUTSIDE ON YOUR BALCONY AND GET HIGH FOR A WHILE. :catdrugs:

Once my supply of moon sugar and skooma is all used up, Arrille graciously allows me to trade with him. Scrolls of Almsivi Intervention? That'll be handy when I get into a tight spot. I'll take two and those bottles of sujamma as well.

Back in the depths of Addamasartus, I'm forced to go for a swim to explore the rest of the cave. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE XENOMORPH FISH

No xenomorphs, but a rat decides to try me on. I give it the pointy end of my sword and the critter calls it a day.

After coming full circle around the cave, I take another dive into a hidden part of the cave and find more loot in a chest.

Back at Arrille's, I sell the rest of my loot, then go upstairs and talk to Hrisskar Flat-Foot. Turns out this Nord isn't looking for a dungeon partner, it's a shakedown quest. The poor sod on the receiving end? Fargoth.

Bjorca: Great, so I have to stalk him, too? All right, I'll find out where he's hiding his stash.

I wait up in the lighthouse until dark. Like my robes? I bought some Extravagant Robes to put on under my armour, but for some odd reason they go on over the armour instead. Yet my amour rating stays the same. Meh.

There's a problem, though: the slaughterfish in the water nearby have somehow sensed me on the shore and keep triggering fighting mode, which is interrupting the quest. I eventually wade out into the shallows and show them what Orcish Sorceresses are made of, with the help of an Imperial guard.

Unfortunately, thanks to those loving fish, the quest is bugged up for the night. Fargoth hasn't moved at all.

I decide to use the bedroll at the census office and try again tomorrow night.

At 10pm the next night, I'm perched on top of the lighthouse in the pouring rain, waiting for Fargoth.

At 11pm, I jump down from the ledge and finally see him make his move.

You can just see him by the hollowed stump in the mud pool.

After he leaves, I raid the stump. Jackpot!

Hrisskar is mighty pleased when I show up with my ill-gotten gains.

I've had enough of Seyda Neen. I'm heading back to Balmora, this time to join the Mages Guild.

Will Bjorca finally live up to her character class? Tune in next time!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

krytton posted:

While I do miss my levitate abilities, I have to say that in later games the mechanics of actually using spells are infinitely more satisfying.

Well yeah I have to agree; Morrowind did have a very clunky method of casting spells. And the new combat where it's not a dice roll is also a bit more enjoyable. Mostly though because I don't like dice rolls if it isn't turn based or like an isometric view. If it's 1st person I prefer 1st person style mechanics.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ScreamingLlama posted:

I wait up in the lighthouse until dark. Like my robes? I bought some Extravagant Robes to put on under my armour, but for some odd reason they go on over the armour instead. Yet my amour rating stays the same. Meh.

Robes are working as intended, they go over your armour. Stuff like Shirt, Pants and Belts go under it. Then you have your armour layer. Then you have robes. And remember everything can be enchanted seperatly, this includes the left and right versions of things as they are not a set in Morrowind. Also it lets you make some cool looking armour options.

E: Whoops double post. My bad.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 9, 2014

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

FINE I'LL JUST SIT OUTSIDE ON YOUR BALCONY AND GET HIGH FOR A WHILE. :catdrugs:

Whenever a merchant refused services because I was carrying moon sugar or skooma, I'd just drop the stuff on the counter first, right in front of them. I'd imagine my character would then just shrug, like "okay, now I'm not carrying any drugs".

From memory you can sell moon sugar and skooma to khajiiti merchants though, which makes sense if you think about it, because yeah... :catdrugs:

What is going on with your water? Morrowind had quite pretty reflection effects on water for its time. Do you have them disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Our sugar is yours, friend.

• Locked thread