Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Fried chicken once again fucks up making the thread, IMPEACH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

kill you're parents etc etc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

WHY IS EVERYTHING NAMED AFTER THAT drat DOG!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

To my understanding they are required to vote in person and the House is out of room to add more seats.

No its not, we cram about a thousand people in there for state of the unions.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You know you can poo poo on political apathy all you want but blaming leftists for the DNC being a bunch of incompetent idiots isn't actually addressing the party's problems nor is it going to get your poorly run party out of its electoral rut.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 3, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

^^lol whatup dean buddy

Trabisnikof posted:

What exactly should the DNC be doing that they aren't that would just magically fix everything?

More of whatever Dean did. The party's been sucking hard outside of presidential campaigns since he was fired.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

What exactly was Dean doing that the DNC stopped doing?

That's a good idea, what policy proposals should the Democratic party stand unified behind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dean#50-state_strategy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Given the house and senate outcomes in 2006 and 2008 I'd have to say yeah.

e: you jerk you edited in the second line :argh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Really, this is it? This is the big complaint about the Democrats turning off their base?

The turning off of the base and the mismanagement of the DNC are two different things although the later can influence the former.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

But what specifically do you think Democrats should be pushing this election that would result in better electoral outcomes rather than worse?

Campaign strategy or policy wise?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Assuming that 26.4% applies equally to both parties, that's a whole lot of votes that dems are ignoring by not running candidates with policies and ideas they like and I really doubt its the milquetoast wing of the party that's been dissatisfied with their candidates.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

^
Your pointing to a year under Dean so it kinda proves my point.

Or it shows that at the peak of Dean's campaign strategy there was still a decent amount of votes to still be wrung out that could have given dems an even bigger victory then and allowed them to hold onto the majority for longer than the two working weeks they did.

quote:

Just because 26% didn't feel enthusiastic about a candidate doesn't meant there's anything the Ds could do about that.

Except for nominating a good candidate. Granted that chart is for 2008 where the presidential election skews things but how is nominating candidates people are more enthusiastic for in lower races not something they could do.

quote:

My point is there is no 1 magic issue that would engage those voters, instead its a hundred contradictory issues.

Well the DNC thinks that one magic issue is "at least we're not republicans" and it doesn't seem to be engaging those voters very well.

Trabisnikof posted:

Once again, you shouldn't be surprised that a majority party has moderate and conservative elements to it.

No but hacking away at the remaining third isn't the way to maintain party unity or morale.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

To be fair that's not something I've heard outside this forum so I personally wouldn't ascribe that particular thought process to the DNC but it plays into the not having a policy thing glyph mentioned.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So by that argument both parties should sit in the middle all the time in order to rack up the most votes and yet we see better results for the GOP when they don't do that and declining returns for the Democrats when they do.

The name of the game is GOTV and having "we're not republicans" as your raison d'être doesn't get the voters fired up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

And how are you going to address those problems (well except for the illness one) in your favor without winning over the people that wanted to vote but had no strong reason to do so first. Dems, rightly so, want to make voting easier and have to be in political control to do so. The GOP gets their voters fired up, wins and then puts in voter ID laws to tilt voting in their favor.

E: oh and unrelated but as a public service announcement to any California goons that may not be registered to vote. You can do so on the secretary of state's website here and we have awesome an awesome absentee ballot setup.

http://registertovote.ca.gov

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 3, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Texas going purple will be driven by demographics not GOTV spends.

Ah yes the favorite plan of democrats: Do nothing and wait for time to grant us success instead of working for it!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I read that as Obama trying to play off a heckler not that that guy in particular had been there before.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who, DNC or DFL? Your post is so non-specific that I can't tell if its sarcasm of not.

Since when and where has labor mattered? Its not loving 1958.

Labor got Steven Crowder punched in the face :colbert:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

He sounds less like Bingo Bob when you throw in the detail that what prompted the apologies was for him saying their interventions in the Syrian civil war wasn't the best idea. Still he shouldn't have said it in public.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cheekio posted:

These threads move too fast. What did Biden do now?

The usual, told the truth in a public place.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

The Williams sisters are not the best of the best? They have less support, less training and overall less opportunity than the guy ranked 203 in men's tennis?

The guy says in the article that men and women's leagues play the game slightly different helped. He points out men using spin more and sprinting for returns that are usually ignored in women's matches. A couple of more matches rather than the one each may have allowed them to adapt better to the different style of play.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Add Bill Murray and you've got a Superfriends of madcap party crashing comedy.

I would watch the gently caress out of this series of movies.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

He basically resorts to saying he's not as bad as McCain or Romney would have been.

Truly a set of impressive bars have been surpassed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

"I'm the last of the big time spenders" which is what Joe Biden actually said while handing over $20 for his $8 ice cream tab.

Was one of the tens for a tip or did the cashier just give him a wtf look and hand one back?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh no people being happy when a genuinely awful person dies of a natural death instead of the bullet they deserved years ago, gotta let them know that they're the real monsters :smug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sorry Jews you can't be happy Hitler is dead since his death diminished all of us.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Were you happy when Osama Bin Laden was killed?

I wasn't dancing in the streets and would have preferred he was tried before being killed but yes I am overall pleased with his death.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

It's okay, I'm sure their response to a person wishing Obama was dead and gone would be "racist!" or "lock him up! treason!"

Why it's almost as if at least two of the three people mentioned that spawned this discussion committed a degree of crimes beyond what Obama has!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

Why it's almost as if Obama hasn't spied on journalists, used drones on US citizens, branded whistle-blowers as enemies, watched as Syria burned, tried to cover his ineptitude in various instances or lied through his teeth about half his policies (not to mention his campaign promises)!

Oh but by gosh he's covering my health insurance until I'm 26 so gently caress it he's ma boi and Reagan deserved a gruesome death, yup!

And while all of those things are awful they are also not the literal treason Reagan committed in addition to giving Saddam the chemical weapons used against the Iranians.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

And the weapons Obama has given to various groups in the Middle East are not being used for foul purposes?

I'm sorry when did Obama start handing out things explicitly banned by a Geneva convention?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

Oh, sorry, Obama is giving them LEGAL weapons used to kill civilians. Much better. Sorry, my mistake.

As I said above those are lovely things to do and I don't care for how loosely they've been handed out but historically arming groups has been a useful thing such as arming various resistance groups in Nazi occupied Europe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Amergin posted:

So what Reagan did was a practice of a historically useful thing.

Because context is completely irrelevant right :rolleyes:

Amergin posted:

No, I'm showing you Reagan's policies you're vilifying, and their results which you're using as excuses to celebrate his death, are not far from Obama's, whose death I'm QUITE sure you will actually mourn.

Whenever Obama does die I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pretty indifferent to it as I am when 99.99% of world leaders do unless he does something pretty fantastic between now and then.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Teddybear posted:

That was Bush I. We know how they'd feel about the ADA if brought before them now-- the international treaty that was modeled after the ADA came before the Senate last year, and Republicans filibustered it-- despite lobbying from Bush I and Bob Dole.

Not only that, they shot it down on the floor with Bob Dole watching in the gallery.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

So I've been out of US politics for a while, is the campaign for Kucinich '16 full steam ahead?

The morally correct but electorally impossible candidate torch has been passed to Senator Bernie Sanders.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Take a drink every time Allison Grimes says "Koch brothers" in tonight's debate if you are interested in suicide through alcohol poisoning.

Here's the stream, by the way.

Oh my god would you just admit you voted for Obama and let this thing die Grimes ffs

E: fuckkkkkkkkkk

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Weed smells terrible and gets in the walls to eat at my security desposit: A lesson I wish my roommates would understand. (No I didn't pick them, yes I will call the police. I warned you!)

Tell him to get a vaporizer if he's smoking inside.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

It's Tsar you philistines :argh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Beamed posted:

What the gently caress? The dude was a bonafide great neurosurgeon. What happened to him?

From first hand experience, the training it takes to become a doctor of any sort drains any and all intelligence in all other areas except golfing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mooyashi posted:

Where on earth do you live that people give a rat's rear end about whether you smoke weed in your rental peoperty?

Apartment complexes vary wildly on what they care about. My old one didn't give a gently caress about smoking tobacco indoors but smoking one cigarette outside would get you a passive aggressive letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unsurprisingly stoners tend to be dumb.

• Locked thread