Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My Imaginary GF posted:

As Frank Underwood said,

Shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I’m just sad I’m not able to be there either. I’d like to be in the White House." ~ Mitt Romney.

Has Ann said very much of late?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Keep Austin Weird!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hodgepodge posted:

Actually, I think it's closer to how car or gun enthusiasts react to the idea of legislation in those areas. You're correct that the underlying dynamic is far older than the 90s, though.

e: although to be fair, for all that guns look like fancy dicks, gun nuts seem to be okay with the idea of women participating in their hobby. On the other hand, I used to think that gamers actually cared about getting more women to play games.

Gun nuts are no less likely than gamers (referring, in both cases, to people who self-identify using either term) to talk down to women and treat them like they don't know anything about a stereotypically male hobby, though I guess the most direct comparison here would be if... women were complaining the industry didn't make enough guns friendly to women, but I don't know what would make a gun unfriendly to women.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

chairface posted:

Women average lower body mass and smaller grip size. So basically the same things that make guns unfriendly to smaller-than-average men like wide grips resulting from double-stack mags being less comfortable to grip properly with smaller hands, etc. "Guns for women" is a whole :can: with the NRA crowd, however, because they can't wrap their heads around a penis not granting magical gun powers.

Also when people say "guns for women" they want to give women the smallest (worst recoil) guns and put pink grips on them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

No, I don't think I could make up something as amazing as Joe Biden hosting a cable TV Law & Order marathon. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't think he should be VP for life after hearing that, you don't understand America.

The thing is, cable TV marathons seem less special in the age of binge-streaming. The VP hosting a Law & Order marathon should have happened with Gore or Cheney.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Its lack of cultural relevance is part of the thing that makes it perfect. I really shouldn't have to explain this.

I'm just tickled imagining whoever the VP is being sent out to do cultural gigs. It's like a bit from Robocop.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That Salt+Straw ice cream might be hipster ice cream but it's really, really good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I find this...

...holds more weight than this. Legacy is a sentimental issue. Neither Roberts, nor Obama, are sentimental individuals.

I'll take it you gleaned this from the long hours you've spent conversing with each man personally.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

He also says in that interview that he thinks Republicans can capture a third of the African American vote.

Oh, boy! A whole third!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Of course that guy in the Bundy video is running on the Independent American Party line. Of course.

I was going to make a George Wallace joke but then I looked them up and it turns out that the lineage really does go that the IAP split off from the American Party, which in turn was formed by splitters from the AIP, so, uh, wow. They've come pretty far from the days of winning states.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Oracle posted:

They alternate the 'all is lost doom and despair' emails with poo poo like 'nate Silver says its too close to call! Your 5 DOLLARS COULD BE WHAT PUTS US OVER THE EDGE!' and poo poo like that.

The last ones to hit my gmail folder are

-"sorry"
-"should we Surrender?"
-"at a loss"
-"FINAL nail in the coffin"
-"W A S H I N G T O N P O S T"
-"I'm running for Congress"
-"serious setback"
-"Accept Defeat"

And I'm just like holy poo poo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

:911:

That's Hal Rogers at the mic, not the Definer of Civilizations Rules, by the way.

I wonder which staffer gets to drive the MITCH Firebird there in the background.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Man, he's doing alright with the grey hair thing. What a handsome guy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

I'm also going to guess that it's an acceptable form of ID for voting purposes in those jurisdictions where such things are required.

How often, I wonder, would you get turned away by someone who didn't recognize it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

You can go to the DMV and pay to get a new one if you change addresses. Most people just wait for their current one to expire. That's managed by the state. The voting roll is typically managed by the municipality, so you have to go to the town/city clerk to let them know you've changed addresses. You then have to separately notify the federal agency that tracks your address, the postal service, if you want to keep getting mail.

Federalism is a great system!

At least in Oregon, voter registration is done at the state level, but they keep a separate database than the DMV, so if you move you have to go tell two different state agencies your new address.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Without looking I'd be shocked if that's the funniest one to Yankees - I'd guess some kind of hunting or fishing license is legal as well and funnier.

Hunting and fishing licenses are no joke to Yankees. Remember, Governor Romney's plan to keep the budget balanced while cutting taxes in Massachusetts was to hike fees for fishing licenses and plug the gap that way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McAlister posted:

Also I'm not going to vote for Clinton because she'll continue doing a thing Obama is doing and even though I voted for him twice on her its a deal breaker ... for some reason.

To play a bit of devil's advocate here, what you're seeing could just as easily be explained by the gap between Candidate Obama and President Obama. And because Clinton is so much more of a known quantity, there's less space for a similar gap to exist for her.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fried Chicken posted:

Now gently caress off back to your tumblr

Oh, snap! Man, they're really gonna need some ice for that burn.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The right and left wings in America disagree fiercely over whether the proletariat should be armed, basically.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Somebody is incorrect about policy details? Jesus Christ, their whole relationship with reality is slipping! Up is blue! Black is clockwise!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Omigosh do I get to call black people Uncle Toms???? <--all slavering, white progressives

You see, it means they're hip and with it and race-conscious.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

uncurable mlady posted:

By 2020 the majority of gun owners (white men) will be a definite minority of the US population.

I agree, we should do more to promote arming women and minorities.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Boon posted:

What?

Movie villians have always followed the current flavor of the week in America's political/military enemies.

Yeah, like how all the polling these days shows that Americans are really worried about the rise in giant robot attacks.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Not just cars either. You can spot the people of probation because they're the ones most conspicuously riding their bikes with lights and helmets.

...wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Swan Oat posted:

I am guns.

I've become one with the gun

• Locked thread