Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

Legislative term limits will accomplish not a single worthwhile goal, but they sure do have a lot populistic allure.

In fact, I'd say their populist allure is due to the exact opposite of what term limits actually achieve. Term limits concentrate power into the hands of political party bosses at the expense of everyone else.

We have a process in place to systemically correct and replace bad legislators: elections. Don't force someone out of the job outside an election unless you want party bosses, lobbyists, and independently wealthy funders to have a lot more influence than they already do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, this. It was even more so when the Senators were appointed by state legislatures.

I thought early on the system was gubernatorial appointment with legislative confirmation?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

Repeal the 17th Amendment! Bring it back to what the Framers intended.

Oh man, this topic had me stumble upon the 19th Oregon Legislative Assembly. Quick, someone tell the House TeaParty Caucus about them!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Biffmotron posted:

From California Crackup, term limits are a disaster. Legislators aren't just perpetually running for their own jobs, they're perpetually running for some other job in the devil's own game of musical chairs. There's no institutional knowledge, no incentive to compromise, no reward for long term thinking, and the actual power goes to lobbyists (who metastasized in Sacramento after term limits were introduced) and unelected Party officials. Shittastic as Congress is right now, term limits would somehow make it even worse.

My thoughts on fixing Congress would be changing the committee structure, so it's less majority/seniority FYGM, and changing the process for advancing bills to something that allows them to be advanced. And since when I'm drinking I get stupid libertopian ideas, maybe a process for getting rid of old bills that no longer have any reason to exist--if one turns out to be important we can pass an updated law to replace it.

Having been a lobbyist in a state with term limits in a past life, I completely agree with your assessment. Being a native of a state without term limits, its like night and day how things operate differently between the legislatures.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, the only time I'd think term limits would be acceptible would be if the limit was very high. Like a 5-term Senator or a 10 (maybe more than ten? 14? 16?)-term Congressman. If you can't run due to to term limits you'd be allowed to run again next election and if you win the same position you had last time (Congressman or Senator from the same state) you would be considered to have the same seniority as when you left.

That still really fucks up seniority and the benefits states receive by having senior members.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

A check shirt and white pants

Everyone in his district knows hes gay. The only question is, has he used his position of authority to unduly influence some easily-influenced demographic for his personal funtime.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

Probably impossible without layers of external auditing. A least lines algorithm would be easier and still pretty effective, even if it has the side effect of splitting up natural constituencies.

Not that either is likely to happen

Who writes the algorithm? Who approves the district boundaries?

Our system may seem like poo poo, its pretty nice when you get used to it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyPowerVan posted:

Right, I've known that, but with people more educated today (at least in most areas :eng99:) why is it still this way?

Because people still behave stupidly when you get to the mass level.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Petr posted:

I don't think a single person who has responded to GlyphGryph read his idea correctly.

Hint: It doesn't involve either paying everyone in America $40k or sending random people to Congress.

How about a compromise: sending everyone in a state to congress for that sweet congressional pension?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

I've actually been tinkering with one in my spare time. It's kinda fun.

Have you ever voted in a party primary? Munkeymon wants to SELL his biased computer program to the DEMONCRATS/REPUBLICANTS to lock in their majority for life.

Vote (not Munkeymon) for Governor

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

I don't see how partisan districting is unconstitutional. In fact, I see it as more constitutional: a legislature should decide upon maps, and if they can't agree, don't go to the swearing in cerimony while the other side can't force a quarum call.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

S...Scalia-sama?

Hold on now, your first reaction was

zoux posted:

I'm sure Scalia could explain why you're wrong.

Seems like we've got the first quantum supreme court justice on our hands.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

This would result in the rural areas of a state being lumped together and then the urban areas split off so that the urban majorities still have their two senators but the rural areas of the country get even more senators. It's a really terrible idea.

Easiest solution for which there is already a framework: interstate compacts with governing authority, like with the Great Lakes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

"Isn't it a bitch?" ~ Joe Biden on being Vice President.

Not quite as good as "not worth a bucket of warm piss", but I'll take it.

Are these all made today, or just released/leaked today?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

From the Q&A portion of his Harvard speech tonight.

Funny, innit, Biden speaks at Harvard while Obama visits Northwestern.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

I've been rooting for Joe for 20 years. Don't worry, you didn't miss much.

Did he miss the live girl and fast car?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

^
Your pointing to a year under Dean so it kinda proves my point. Just because 26% didn't feel enthusiastic about a candidate doesn't meant there's anything the Ds could do about that. My point is there is no 1 magic issue that would engage those voters, instead its a hundred contradictory issues.

I think the fact that he won based on race baiting in NYC in 1997 is important, especially since he's a hero to a lot of Republicans still.

Not only is there no '1 magic issue', we've got the math down well enough with all the metadata and raw data about you we buy that we can figure out what your most likely issues are and target you as an individual with them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But serious people all agree that Keynesianism is dead because...

...Obama doesn't want to go to Mars.

Austerity can work in some limited cases at achieving a targeted outcome. We're in a transitional state where, for most, the value of their labor is less the value of their consumption.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Going to be hard for the DNC to learn anything from the MN DFL if they refuse to stand behind labor when it really matters.

Who, DNC or DFL? Your post is so non-specific that I can't tell if its sarcasm of not.

Since when and where has labor mattered? Its not loving 1958.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

I don't know if you are telling a joke or if you are responding to what you quoted. Increase the value of their labor by artificially increasing demand for it. Right? Why not?

Man if someone could actually sincerely describe how they disagree with my man Maynard, I want that so much. Spend baby Spend! Until such time as inflation is at the very least above historical trend!

re: facebook post i dont read that thread for a reason. Let me tell you what horrifying opinions mentally ill people think about the following topics: all of them

Keynesianism is useless if all the value of the demand it creates goes disproportionately to a small sliver of a population. Or, Ukraine, Russia, and China. I'd argue both those nations follow a very Keynesian monetary policy and are made all the more corrupt for it.

You need a proper system through which the money flows. Austery is the least-worst measure with political traction to obtain such systems. It sucks for a few years, and then it gets better. Keynesianism is a direct contributor to various bubbles when the proper systems are not in place to ensure the money gets spent well and doesn't end up in your Swiss account or children's family trust which just so happens to have put all the money in another family's trust overseas for which you happen to want to purchase a majority share in with as little regulation as possible.

Inflation is an invisible tax on outstanding credit: the more you've borrowed, the less you need pay back. Deflation is an invisible tax on outstanding debt: the more you've borrowed, the more you need pay back. These rates can be manipulated through several mechanisms, legislative and executive in their authoriry. What worries me is austerity which has a real deflationary effect, rather austerity which has an inflationary impact.

If a population wants to maintain the level of state development its achieved so far, it has to pay for it. It can pay now, or it can pay later; it will pay. Sometimes, austerity is the only means of enforcing that payment through inflationary monetary policy. Deflationary austerity, though, is just all-around bad policy.

E:

Mr Interweb posted:

So for a good while now we've been hearing about how inequality keeps increasing under Obama. Isn't that mainly cause of the Great Recession, which we still haven't fully come back from?

There is a simple and a complex way to answer this:

Simple-no

Complex-A gutting of social safety net combined with inverse incentives through welfare reform and Bush's overall corrosion of NLRB's regulatory oversight has led to a period where direct enployment is unnecessary.

E2:

Trabisnikof posted:

And the long term trend of economic growth in financials and limited growth in wages.

By "long term" I assume you are referring to the period with post-Malthusian dynamics? That's the context I see Pikety's thesis in.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

This is caused by any type of recession that I can imagine.

Let me stop you there. Its caused by the introduction of global post-Malthusian dynamics. Population growth has exceeded labor demand; it sucks for the laborers in the first 2 generations and kicks hella rear end for those 3rd and beyond.

E:

Pohl posted:

I'm getting that you are looking large scale, and I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But you can't talk about how austerity is necessary, and then edit in how bad it is. That simply cracked me up, and this is not an attack. I simply laughed like a mother fucker, because this poo poo is complex and I know it. Still, that was funny as hell.

DEFLATIONARY austery is, overwhelmingly through the historical record, poo poo policy. INFLATIONARY austery is, overwhelmingly through the historical record, one policy option which has proven to spur additional economix growth and apply incentives which correct systemic issues faced by developed institutions.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

Kill laborers!?

Make fake jobs!!! Or make fake wages, whatever.

"Kill laborers" is usually a deflationary austerity policy. There are situational exceptions when it is an inflationary keynesian measure. However, there are times when "reduce the growth rate of laborers" can be seen as an adequate inflationary austerity measure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

What is Inflationary austerity? Even google isn't helping me find anything.

East German re-integration. Hyperinflation as a policy to pay off wardebt. You'll see another example soon in Ukraine.

More concrete an answer: inflationary austerity occurs when the tax income:GDP ratio sees an increase in the rate of growth on the tax income side lower than the rate of growth on the GDP side. I may be mixing up precise terms; I'll have to break out my monetary theory readings again to give you a more precise answer.

My contention with modern economics is that the field has grown detached from its original recognition of post-Malthusian dynamics.

E:

Two clear and recent examples of inflationary austery: Argentina. Venezuela.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

One of the most interesting things I learned in my econ classes was that Malthus talked about the huge benefit to society after a plague or a war.

When labor supply is low, mostly everyone wins, since most of them are laborers and they will be in high demand.

So we need to ask ourselves, how do we increase demand for laborers? We can kill them, or we can build roads. My opponent wants to murder millions of people.

I do not want to kill the working class and other laborers. I want free birth control, legal and hassle-free abortions, and all of this covered under a universal, single-payer healthcare system with adequate educational opportunities for all and adequate state and federal level outlays to support these systems.

E:

Cool Bear posted:

I am very interested as to how my interpretation of austerity, that is "decreasing the government budget as much possible and lowering taxes like a literal republican" can coincide with inflation.

Could it be that inflation happened for other reasons and austerity just so happened to be what their lying aristocrats put forward as a goal?

There is a historical example of the end result of exactly this policy: The Spanish Habsburgs and the Dutch Revolt. (The gold importation argument leading to hyperinflation is such utter poo poo that I find anyone who repeats it to be uneducated on Habsburg tax systems)

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

That's an extremely good idea, however, history has shown that this won't be enough to actually decrease the...

Jesus Christ my liberal forum poster friend you are talking about Hitler you are Hitler rofl

No they will commit crimes if we act like Hitler. That is the argument that I would have to have with someone with your opinions. I have said that to my friend and he pretty much jokingly said that's why we need the second amendment. Not a joke though on his part obviously.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I want to decrease the rate of population growth by providing incentives to hold off child birth, not institute 'One Child Policy: The Holocausting Part 3'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

Do you think our problems are caused by a lack of natural resources?

If you assume that we have infinite natural resources, then an increase in population will not be bad unless we gently caress it up.

I thought you were messing with me, but your argument rests on limited natural resources which you didnt mention, I don't know.

Our problems are caused by just the opposite: an overabundance of food without adequate resource allocation to the areas of least state institutional development to allow different appropriation of resources. If you have a population quintoupling over four decades without a ramp-up of institutional preparedness, you're going to create a humanitarian crisis and international security threat whether you know it or not.

E:

Pohl posted:

Who is? You actually wrote that. We can have a conversation about taxes and society, etc... without being educated in the Habsburg tax system. Holy poo poo.

The Catalonia example demonstrates the end result of Republican policy.

That is, 90% of tax revenue for a developed state institution originating in one province in Spain, paying for all expenses of the Habsburg monarchy the world over.

E2:

Cool Bear posted:

Rofl it's not a joke, multiple people think the solution to economics is to decrease population growth come on drat

Uncontrolled population growth without attritional rates through childhood causes state collapse. State collapse causes...very bad things.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

I guess austerity is good and we should all just suck dick on film for money. It is a personal choice, not a failure, the failure is that we are horrible people because we aren't rich. Did I get that right?

Unrestrained taxation often enriches the tax collector while preventing the taxed individual's ability to accumulate capital. Inflation is a form of indirect taxation. Austerity is the limiting of spending.

A limitation if spending which restricts direct taxation while spurring indirect taxation has benefits to those with the largest outstanding balances: the working class.

E:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm gettin a little creeped out here, boy is it not at all troubling that a group of people are saying 'boy you know what'll fix the economy, if the goddamn 'urban centers' stopped breeding so much...'

Its not urban centers. Its any population which grows at a rate faster than bureaucratic institutions to support human development can grow.

E2:

Cool Bear posted:

Imagine someone said to you "All our money went to the rich people" and you're like "If we loving had better government funded birth control then it wouldn't matter loving rofl" I'm not rolling on the floor but I like to pronounce the word rofl out loud to express the absurdity of the internet world we live in.

Naw I'm sorry I shouldn't harp on that, I will go back and read your other post that I know you put a lot of thought into. Give me like 20 minutes.

In a post-Malthusian world, capital naturally has a higher rate of return than labor in a Malthusian world, labor has a higher return than capital during periods of decreased food availability. During periods of increased food availability, the value of labor decreases.

The money will naturally flow either to, towards, around, under, or over power: power is a jagged rock sticking out of Victoria Falls, while money flows all around it and some very wealthy individuals swim in the pool and peer over the rock's edge to the waterfall below.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

We don't have a problem with unconstrained taxation or the accumulation of capital in the US. It isn't happening, so why the freakout about it?

Oh, I would completely agree that American taxation is quite restrained. Too restrained for my liking. We do have an issue with the accumulation of capital in America.

E: On further reflection, there is a heavy issue with unconstrained taxation upon the working class in America. See also, the root of the Ferguson riots: heavy taxation by another name.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PhilippAchtel posted:

You know that scene in Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon makes fun of that nerd-jock for basing his entire line of discussion on something he just read?

I'm getting serious Good Will Hunting bullshit vibes from your choice of references and terminology.

Also, love the shoot out to eugenics.

I don't see how desiring strong state institutions which supercede tribal and community identity via collective efficacy is supporting eugenics? I deal with developmental issues in E. Africa mainly, and there aren't unlimited resources. You've got a small pie with shitloads of user-fees and unofficial taxes that can only support developing human capital in so large a population. I favor interventions with education, birth control and abortion availability, and equal rights for women as moral means to allow instotutional and state development at a rate which supercedes population growth. Is that eugenics?

E:

Easy terms for ya then. People gently caress a shitload without condoms and you don't fuckin kill the babies, you fuckin pass out more condoms and laugh at em when they get on the Maury show

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I mean a world where population doesn't collapse from famine on a regular basis. I also don't see all government spending as good; too much of it makes you China'd economy. Austerity is necessary at some points in time, so long as its coupled with increased taxation and strengthening of social supports.

E:

The issue isn't that we have infinite food available in the first world. The issue is that we have infinite food available which prevents state development in the third world from the noncompetitiveness of local agriculture to the overreliance upon foreign trade for food importation which prevents the construction of infrasructure adequate to manage the population should crisis occur. Or, whats happening in West Africa right now and why its turning to such a shitstorm.

Unlimited food is great when the logistics exist to deliver it elsewhere. Unlimited food is useless when no-one is willing, able, or capable to deliver it when the normal logistical structure breaks down due to lack of human and institutional development in areas of high population density

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 4, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

When is government spending too much?

A long time ago I said that America needs much more spending.

It looks the argument against me is that "at some point, too much spending is too much"

Inflation is currently well below trend, because we just had a recession.

"In the long run, we are all dead" - John Maynard Keynes

I am acting like a pretentious dick for the sake of brevity, drat... sorry.

My argument is that it isn't more spending which is needed, its smarter spending. Inflation isn't below trend due to the recession. Inflation is below trend due to an over-allocation of spending to a small segment of the population.

E:

ReindeerF posted:

MIGF is a gimmick poster and troll. Why you guys keep responding to him is beyond me.

You keep saying this rather than addressing my points. Scary as it may be for you, someone with my opinions exists in this world.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

Uh... I say rofl a lot but I only say lol when I mean it. I was in the middle of saying a post where I said he wasn't trolling. Come on man, you are wasting our time, making me look like an idiot. Why would you post all of the ebola thread stuff? I guess copy and pasted it. At least post my response in FYAD dickhead gently caress you

Perhaps you misinterpret me: the over-allocation of spending subsidizes the very top percents of asset holders in Americs. We have such low inflation because we give away too much money to the super-rich.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

You just have to ask yourself if he's buying you a microbrew or handing you a knife for your bunless hotdog feast.

I don't electrocute children. That's not my department. However, it does fit under the US Pol umbrella. What can I say, the Bush II years were a bit crazy for everyone.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

You are in DEEP TROUBLE mister. You have no idea how effectively I will disarm every joke you tell, and immediately identify the alternate accounts that you will hopefully spend ten dollars on to avoid me. You thought you were afraid of probations. Oho

I apologize for pissing off the bear. I will admit, the only place I do half-effort posts is ClancyChat, mostly because I'm pissed off at the Soviet grizzly.

You should probably have another drink, dude. Just make sure its not a Leinenkugel, because seriously, gently caress that family that owns them and their backward political stances.

Bear, you should grab some unlimited mimosas for brunch tomorrow and continue posting. You're a pretty swell dude.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cool Bear posted:

Don't troll me with extremely specific economic knowledge that you made up unless you want me to call you a troll and tell everyone that you are a waste of time.

I stand by my decision to gently caress with that fucker in other threads and I do not regret it. He lied to me and everyone in this thread. He lied.

Edit: Listen I just posted in like 6 different threads in order to destroy this man and his ten bux so if he is an economist from africa and someone knows that for sure and that is why he is talking about loving Malthus, then I need to know.

Edit2: I mean Malthus and the stuff that was said makes a lot of sense for Africa. Horrible, terrifying sense. Context matters. In America, you are Hitler for saying that stuff, you are. In Africa, there is a large dearth of birth control so it *stares at feet and shuffles feet clears throat*

Lets say when I'm overseas I work on "Educational Material Development," specifically, low-cost institutional development in an oil rich region of an East African state and from what I've seen, population growth without adequate national identity and state-level institutions to promote sufficient human development only prolongues the time before system shock.

Handling money in machine Chicago politics, I do well in East African politics. Its the same system at work, with only better capture of the money stream for average folk in America through additional layers of institutions that you have to file with and go through. I see LDC Africa as the Republican/libertarian dreamland: No separation between money and power.

As Frank Underwood said, "Money isn't power. Power is power." To achieve that takes a shitload of hard work and Repubs gonna oppo while senators gonna be your real enemy in policy matters.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Veeptalk: Anyone who calls themself a Dan is 100% Jonad.

Alpha House, House of Cards, and Veep all have different kernals of truth to them. Sometimes, the three overlap on an issue and its hilarious.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is a post-Malthus world like a post-9/11 world? Did Malthus do 9/11?

Its a world where population does not regularly exceed maximum food production capacity. All the money in the world isn't worth too much when your food stockpile runs out and your field hand's hidden caches have not.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day: "Something very important, and indeed society changing, may come out of the Ebola epidemic that will be a very good thing: NO SHAKING HANDS!" ~ Donald Trump

To be replaced by the fist bump.

That's honestly a very good thing. I wish CDC would communicate "Fist-bumping in liu of handshaking decreases risk of EVD infection"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

On Terra Firma posted:

Yeah seriously. What the gently caress do these people think the end game is other than just keeping our military over there indefinitely?

You really don't want to know the unofficial expected outcome. It's not pretty.

E:

icantfindaname posted:

Literal Genocide

That was the tried and true strategy of the Romans in any case, history's best imperialists

Technically, no, not genocide. Technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Armani posted:

Yes I do! I am a goddamn citizen of Earth and share terrestrial land with these people!

Please, Uncle Imaginary! Pleeease?

One of the groups will be ethnically cleansed. Which one? The one hellbent on attacking the homeland? The one loyal to your foreign policy agenda, that WH can't recognize because the President's Turkish friends have convinced him that it'd do more harm for the cause of a secular Turkey than good? The one loyal to a foreign state whose victory undermines the past 40 years of American mid-east policy and threatens Egypt's existance as a state?

There aren't very many least worst outcomes.

• Locked thread