Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

XboxPants posted:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

You want to stream the SD version of episode 1, which should be the top option. Everything below for purchase is HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
holy poo poo the OP and ED own. the ED especially is very Gainer-y. (in a good way)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

The SD version on that UK site was accidentally region-free, and now it's not.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So this sure is a Tomino show.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

average_gundam_naming_process.jpeg

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

So this sure is a Tomino show.

It's basically like Turn A, King Gainer, and V Gundam got into a giant car wreck and they stitched G Reco together out of the mangled remains.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
So much easier to get into than previous Gundams, even though it has to take a few leaps now and then to hurry up progression and development. Pretty great, super-watchable. If it does have a cliche it's an ancient-rear end cliche and tasteful.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A very serious man just made a call for backup in order to get cheerleaders off a ship. Best Gundam ever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I feel like episode 1 deliberately included exposition for things that didn't need it and skipped exposition for anything that did. :allears:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 3, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Welp, I guess I better give this a shot since I loved Turn A (thanks to the simulwatch) even if I'm otherwise uninterested in all things Gundam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

It's basically like Turn A, King Gainer, and V Gundam got into a giant car wreck and they stitched G Reco together out of the mangled remains.

I have to say... I kinda get what Tomino was saying when he meant this wasn't a Gundam show for the fans. It sure as gently caress isn't winning me over. My big problem is that none of the people in it are acting like actual people, and no actions seem to have any weight to them at all.

The starting classroom scene was interesting, but the space battle felt pretty uninspired and poorly animated. Brain damaged girl screams a lot, people are running up and down the ship with no security at all. A loving prisoner somehow gets unstrapped from her seat and screams at the window next to the mobile suit she'd ditched earlier. The crew seems nice and friendly with the space pirate who just shot at them and blew the arm off a mobile suit.

Everyone is surprised that Bell can open the new Gundam up, but lets just have him take the thing for a spin anyways. If your characters are supposed to be in the military, even as trainees maybe have them act even slightly like that?

Episode 2

So now brain damaged girl is in their high school/academy/whatever. Shouldn't she be in prison? Or at least somewhere where she isn't attending high school? Apparently she's under surveillance? Yeah this makes no loving sense.

I guess based on what happens later this isn't so shocking.

The location of a captured pirate and mobile suit are fully known to military academy students. Information security is not apparently a 'thing' in the distant future of UC. This information is supposedly secret but both the enemy (who I know nothing about and thus can't much care about) and the good good guys know everything. So who is it being hidden from?

Bad guys (who I know nothing about) attack! I guess I should care since a few civilians run away screaming. Bell decides to run and... you know I'm honestly not sure. He's in a military academy so you'd think he'd have a loving job to do, but apparently he is rushing off to save/check on the pirate lady from episode 1. They don't make it clear what his goal is when he gets there. He gets there on a form of transportation that makes no loving sense.

The bad guys (who I know nothing about) are shooting a whole bunch but no one appears to die. They cripple one suit on camera and kinda bump into one another a bunch. I have no idea who is winning the fight. I do know that her rescuers are being loving stupid by fighting right on top of the building where she is. Stupid redhaired pirate lady could easily have died.

Bell screams out for the prisoner in the giant tower of captives. Fortunately there appear to be only two guards who are upstairs. This is clearly not a prison in any real sense so I'm guessing they don't exactly take captives often, but do keep in mind this woman did significant damage to a mobile suit and participated in the theft of something I'm pretty sure would be expensive.

They run upstairs, find red haired lady about to fall to her death (not really) and save/secure her (I still don't know). The military show up to take Bell to the gundam because the plot needs him to be in the gundam they need him to move the gundam away so it doesn't get stolen back I guess. There is also a weird scene wherein I think they are hiding the plot from us by moving away from the characters in mid-sentence for a few seconds. Its really loving jarring and I did not enjoy it.

Backup love interest pulled a slingshot out of nowhere to shoot redhead in the rear end because she's jealous. She should be, redhead is clearly the intended love interest, though it is possible she will end up getting 'foured' and backup love interest will still have her happy ending.

Hijinks ensue, they get to the Gundam and somehow no one thinks to secure the redheaded space pirate who shot at them before. She nearly gets into the Gundam and steals it because apparently handcuffs/commmon sense is not a 'thing' in the far future of the UC. There is a fanservice shot that isn't really anything to speak about, and he gets in the gundam with the hatch open and enemy combatants just hanging around. Redheaded space pirate does not think to even try to stop him from piloting the gundam.

Gundam combat ensues. Fortunately for everyone he is blocking the cockpit with his shield keeping himself and stupid redhaired pirate alive. Also fortunately he manages to hit someone with his vulcans despite not having the forward field of vision in his cockpit since its open.

Weird newtype moment (because of course) and he kills captain... I'm gonna say captain crunch because I straight up don't remember his name. Redhaired pirate is upset because he murdered the guy who was trying to kill them both. No one attempts to stop her from beating him up with her fists because apparently keeping prisoners from physically hitting trainees is not a 'thing' in the far future of UC.

Brain damage calls the gundam her Pa Pa. Chances of her being fully human are somewhere down around 1%.

The sinister 'research division' is coming. I have no idea who these people are or why I should care. If the scene was overlayed with cheerful music I'd assume they were reinforcements, but the music is dark and evil, so I guess they are the bad guys.

Fortunately I can't recall any Prince of Space moments. So that is something I guess.

Edit: Yeah, upon watching again they literally cut away to a pointless shot of two people missing shots in the middle of exposition about why they can't have solar panels on earth. That is such lazy loving writing that I'm straight up angry at it now.

Honestly that is a lot of words but I guess I'm really just not impressed and it makes me sad. Its not Gundam Age bad, and I'm going to give it quite a few more episodes to try and establish itself, but so far it is pretty bad outside of a few jokes that made me snicker.

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 3, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Caros posted:

Stuff that sounds bad and dumb.

Now I'm really hoping that the Law of Conservation of Gundam is real and not something I made up. Come on, Build Fighters 2!

Caros
May 14, 2008

chumbler posted:

Now I'm really hoping that the Law of Conservation of Gundam is real and not something I made up. Come on, Build Fighters 2!

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that myself. Crossing my fingers that they spent all their time loving around with G-Reco and not enough time wrecking what made Build Fighters such a stand out success.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Caros posted:

Honestly that is a lot of words but I guess I'm really just not impressed and it makes me sad. Its not Gundam Age bad, and I'm going to give it quite a few more episodes to try and establish itself, but so far it is pretty bad outside of a few jokes that made me snicker.

Basically similar complaints. Lots of stuff is talked about, but not really explained (wtf is a Kuntala and what do Solar Panels have to do with anything?) Also, Capital Army and Capital Guard are a bit confusing as their purpose isn't made clear I think.

There are also a few plot holes mentioned in the posts above, but one that was missed is Episode 2 coincides with an event with VIPs and security seems a little sparse given that there are so many important figures around. I'm guessing they didn't expect mobile suits even though pirates seem to have them as do other nations which could attack

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like they're following the Eureka Seven tradition and stuffing the OP with story arc hints :munch:. I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait to see more. Though I want to know what the deal with the G-Self is. Is there more than one, or did it managed to leg it on autopilot after the girl ejected?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Episode 1:

Wow, 2 female characters had Gundams and they both broke down crying and were easily subdued. Also lol at the bunny ears turning out to be a demonstrably stupid thing to have.

Holy poo poo, her name's Aida? At least Build Fighters had the Aila/Aina joke, but you can seriously do better than that, Tomino.

At least it's colorful!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
is there some kind of clause where if you don't shut the gently caress up about the bunny ears someone you love dies

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's pretty okay for a girl or anyone to break down crying when someone they care about dies in front of them

In fact it would be kinda weird if she had no reaction to that!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like they're following the Eureka Seven tradition and stuffing the OP with story arc hints :munch:. I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait to see more. Though I want to know what the deal with the G-Self is. Is there more than one, or did it managed to leg it on autopilot after the girl ejected?

If by story arc hints you mean that they are lazily as gently caress using series animation in the intro. Sorry, I know you're right, but it infuriates me when they use episode animation in the intro.

I went back and looked, because the opening scene doesn't make much sense until you've watched an episode or two. Both factions are there, with Captain Crunch being the one to snag the mobile suit and instructor nofun being the guy who snags brain damaged girl and possibly the backpack (probably since its on it later). They don't explain why they are there, who they are etc, but the assumption is that Captain Crunch steals the G-self and gives it to redheaded space pirate since neither him nor some other guy she name drops could get it to open.

Also there is something about iris scanning that makes certain people unique. Bell has the same thing she does which is why he can use the G-self I guess. Probably some newtype power thing.

Srice posted:

I think it's pretty okay for a girl or anyone to break down crying when someone they care about dies in front of them

Yeah, I might have gone overboard on that. I think it bugs me because its pretty much the only normal human reaction out of the entire series so far so it seem irrational compared to what you'd expect her to do given what you've seen.

Caros fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My money's on the OP animation being unfinished since parts of the show look a little rough around the edges (though it definitely feels like they're going with an older style with some of the direction).

But heck, I feel that roughness helps out a little bit with its charm.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Man do the characters in the ending seem super stoked to be there.

Also some of the future backpacks look insane.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 3, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's old hat at this point but I always remain annoyed when supposed 'military' or law enforcement factions have some of the shittiest security I have ever seen.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Srice posted:

Are we talking about Lalah Aina Aila Raraiya or Aina Aila Aida? Or did another woman break down crying at the wheel of a Gundam in episode 2? I haven't gotten to it, yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

It's old hat at this point but I always remain annoyed when supposed 'military' or law enforcement factions have some of the shittiest security I have ever seen.

I agree it's stupid, but I think it's meant to be a matter of pride and show how stupid they are. "We are here, that should be good enough to keep those filthy pirates/assassins/thieves at bay :smuggo:".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In a gigantic twist, the entire cast started to cry about the rabbit ears.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree it's stupid, but I think it's meant to be a matter of pride and show how stupid they are. "We are here, that should be good enough to keep those filthy pirates/assassins/thieves at bay :smuggo:".

I guess to give them a little credit it sounded like the Capital Army is a recent development; some of the cast didn't even know what it was. That and the first episode made it sound like it's pretty rare for non-military to have their own mobile suits.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Are we talking about Lalah Aina Aila Raraiya or Aina Aila Aida? Or did another woman break down crying at the wheel of a Gundam in episode 2? I haven't gotten to it, yet.

Aida.

I'm really not liking the characterization of females in this series as utterly braindead or useless, but then again its Gundam so I'm just getting my hopes too high.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stuff moves way more in this anime than most so I'm willing to forgive a little roughness because the direction is so so good.

Like for real, it's clear that Tomino had in his head what everything was going to look like as he as he was writing stuff down, so what doesn't make sense on the page (and I lot doesn't make sense) works if you just kind of let it happen and watch it in motion. At least the stuff that doesn't make sense, like letting prisoners walk around in order to have cast interactions and get in the way, consistently doesn't make sense.

I guess were in a Star Trek like super peaceful future, or something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm really confused about the complaint of no one acting like a real person would.

I mean that's pretty much Tomino's thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I'm really confused about the complaint of no one acting like a real person would.

I mean that's pretty much Tomino's thing.

I didn't like it in Gundam, or Zeta or anywhere else either.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
holy poo poo did they seriously just loving cut away for a fraction of a second to prevent the audience from hearing useful exposition???

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That scene unironically owned.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

holy poo poo did they seriously just loving cut away for a fraction of a second to prevent the audience from hearing useful exposition???

I am going to laugh if it's actually because Tomino couldn't think of a good reason and just papered it over.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Yes, yes they did. I just complained about that to my wife because I'm still so annoyed at that. Its one thing if it were done as a joke, but its just so... insulting. Like Pure author said, it feels like Tomino wrote up to that part and just said 'gently caress it, throw in a pointless shot of robots missing each other'.

I'm all for world building, but deliberately keeping audiences in the dark in this fashion feels like lovely writing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

That scene unironically owned.

For real, it's not like they had time to explain it with the pace they're moving.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

For real, it's not like they had time to explain it with the pace they're moving.

Then why have the scene in the first place?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
okay, now aina aila aida "please save me captain" rayhunton is screaming

shot is fired

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand she's crying

now she's on the ground.

seasoned space pirate prototype pilot is getting hysterical because her man got shot down honorably in combat.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Considering what just happened at the White House it doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

Edit:

Broken Loose posted:

seasoned space pirate prototype pilot is getting hysterical because her man got shot down honorably in combat.
Where are you getting the "seasoned" part from?

Guyver fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 3, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
tomino: "what do you mean somebody made a gundam show more misogynist than i did?! i'll show them! i'll show them all!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Heck, I wouldn't want to watch a Tomino show where they stop the action to infodump about the setting this early on.

I feel like it's gonna be like a lot of Tomino shows; we're straight up thrown into the setting without a guide and the plot's not really going to start proper until we get time to get our bearings. But I dig that style. It's fun to figure out the setting's deets through context and via conversations that aren't purely for the benefit of the audience instead of stilted, dull infodumps.

It's like I'm skydiving, I don't want to pull out the parachute right away! That would be boring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

tomino: "what do you mean somebody made a gundam show more misogynist than i did?! i'll show them! i'll show them all!"

:golfclap:

• Locked thread