Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Guyver posted:

Where are you getting the "seasoned" part from?

You're right. I assumed she had a top secret prototype because she was some sort of squad leader (of the squad she was with in episode 1). I guess she's supposed to be a princess or something?

edit:
I suppose it would be too much to ask for a female to be competent in this show.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Heck, I wouldn't want to watch a Tomino show where they stop the action to infodump about the setting this early on.

I feel like it's gonna be like a lot of Tomino shows; we're straight up thrown into the setting without a guide and the plot's not really going to start proper until we get time to get our bearings. But I dig that style. It's fun to figure out the setting's deets through context and conversations that aren't purely for the benefit of the audience instead of stilted, dull infodumps.

You mean infodumps like 'It is the year 0079, a half century has passed since the earth began moving its population into burgeoning space colonies. A new habitat where people are born and raised and die. Nine months ago the cluster of colonies furthest from the earth called the principality of zeon declared their independence and launched a war against the earth federation. Initial fighting lasted over one month etc....' Or as others call it, the first 30 seconds of Mobile Suit Gundam?

For the record I don't at all mind learning about the setting by doing, but the problem is that this show tells us nothing. I have no idea who the good or bad guys are, why they are fighting or why I should care. Should I be rooting for the plucky space pirates? They started with the Gundam, but they are against the protagonist.

They have a lot of combat in the second episode, but I have no idea who is winning, which side I should be rooting for or why I should even really care. What happens if they steal back the Gundam and rescue her? What happens if they fail? They aren't actively going after our protagonist until the last few seconds so our only link to the action at all isn't in any real danger until the very end so we won't find any tension there.

It'd be like if they just showed you GM's and Zaku's fighting out of context in the first two episodes of Gundam but didn't include the opening blurb. Sure there are pretty explosions but... so what?

There is a difference between going in with minimal information and 'not really knowing a loving thing after two episodes'.

I suppose I should just nerd rage a little less.

Caros fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm mainly thinking of Tomino's non-Gundam stuff in that regard.

Like to name a few examples, it takes a little while for Xabungle to tell you about the Three Day Law and it's something the characters just talk about naturally. Plus it takes awhile before you really get a sense for what the actual conflict even is.

Or Overman King Gainer where we're just as confused as the protagonist in those opening episodes but hey that first episode ended with their town on wheels so that's cool even if we don't really know much about what's happening.

Stuff like that basically. Those shows are fine examples of shows that throw the viewer into the setting and they leave them to fend for themselves for awhile! (And they both rule hard)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

Then why have the scene in the first place?

Because it was loving hilarious. And because it set the two characters up as having differing world views.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Srice posted:

I'm mainly thinking of Tomino's non-Gundam stuff in that regard.

Like to name a few examples, it takes a little while for Xabungle to tell you about the Three Day Law and it's something the characters just talk about naturally. Plus it takes awhile before you really get a sense for what the actual conflict even is.

Or Overman King Gainer where we're just as confused as the protagonist in those opening episodes but hey that first episode ended with their town on wheels so that's cool even if we don't really know much about what's happening.

Stuff like that basically. Those shows are fine examples of shows that throw the viewer into the setting and they leave them to fend for themselves for awhile! (And they both rule hard)

Xabungle especially does a really good job of establishing motivations early on while you sort out the rules, though. Breakers are bad guys for hire, Jiron has a vendetta against a bad guy, and the whole Carrying Cargo business is pretty clear by the second episode.

I'll put it this way: I hate Eureka 7's style of storytelling, where the audience was kept in the dark about every possible detail until Holland got in the mood to do an exposition dump, but at least in that show (which doesn't even explain that everybody knew they were on Earth for 40 episodes) the characters have allegiances and tend to act by said allegiances. In G-Reco, I don't even know if Captain Redshirt was trying to save or kill Original the Crying Love Interest in the mess of his comrades beam sabering her room and his firing upon a MS only she could supposedly pilot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm glad to see that we're only two episodes in and already the arguments on whether or not this a terrible show have begun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Broken Loose posted:

Xabungle especially does a really good job of establishing motivations early on while you sort out the rules, though. Breakers are bad guys for hire, Jiron has a vendetta against a bad guy, and the whole Carrying Cargo business is pretty clear by the second episode.

I'll put it this way: I hate Eureka 7's style of storytelling, where the audience was kept in the dark about every possible detail until Holland got in the mood to do an exposition dump, but at least in that show (which doesn't even explain that everybody knew they were on Earth for 40 episodes) the characters have allegiances and tend to act by said allegiances. In G-Reco, I don't even know if Captain Redshirt was trying to save or kill Original the Crying Love Interest in the mess of his comrades beam sabering her room and his firing upon a MS only she could supposedly pilot.

No one knew they were on Earth, you don't remember Eureka Seven correctly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm glad to see that we're only two episodes in and already the arguments on whether or not this a terrible show have begun.

Well I won't say that it is a terrible show since its a dick move to pass judgement this quickly. I'll just say that it in my opinion these were not a good start.

I mostly just agree with Broken Loose. This style of storytelling doesn't jive with me at all. I don't expect to be told every secret of a show up front, but not even giving enough basic information to understand the setting isn't intriguing its frustrating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Indeed. Everyone thought they were colonists on a new world after abandoning the Earth, and were quite surprised to discover they'd just made a round trip.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What exposition do you need? It's pirates. They've got a space elevator that's actually magic and not a space elevator, so they've got a pirate problem. And they're wary of Ameria so they think it might be them that's responsible for these pirates.

We can be pretty sure from the few blurbs we've got that they're not just pirates, but that's what everyone's assuming, so that's all the audience gets for now.

This poo poo owns so far. Crazy colorful, full of character. Very Turn-A/King Gainer feeling which is awesome. Yes, people don't act like people. It's disconcerting at first but believe me it'll be fun if you just roll with it.

There will probably be a ton of plot holes to pick at at the end, but it's really dumb to be flipping out about them now when it's being kept mysterious on purpose. This is a show, not a text book. This is thousands of years in the future and the world isn't nearly as straightforward as the first Gundam. It's mysterious, and that's fun~ Roll with it.

The lame female character designs are a legit complaint though. (Not whatsername's final breakdown, to be clear. That was totally legit. Also, I liked the "twist" where the director was his mother.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, let me rephrase: The show clumsily went out of its way to avoid naming the planet, even when they had to do things like skipping off the atmosphere. I personally got fed up and went to wikipedia 30 episodes in, found out they were on Earth, and then at episode 50 or so there's a plot twist/dump of "Oh we were on Earth all along?!" that completely missed the mark because nobody ever bothered to establish where the heck they were in the first place.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Because it was loving hilarious. And because it set the two characters up as having differing world views.

If we're going to establish that bad storytelling isn't bad because it's funny then we may as well be watching Twilight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

You're right, let me rephrase: The show clumsily went out of its way to avoid naming the planet, even when they had to do things like skipping off the atmosphere. I personally got fed up and went to wikipedia 30 episodes in, found out they were on Earth, and then at episode 50 or so there's a plot twist/dump of "Oh we were on Earth all along?!" that completely missed the mark because nobody ever bothered to establish where the heck they were in the first place.

You mean aside from the big discussion in the Elder's chambers where they all talk at-length about the Ark in the sky they used to leave Earth behind and come to where they are now? How about the alien wildlife and funky green particles in the sky that people can surf on?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eiba posted:

What exposition do you need? It's pirates. They've got a space elevator that's actually magic and not a space elevator, so they've got a pirate problem. And they're wary of Ameria so they think it might be them that's responsible for these pirates.

We can be pretty sure from the few blurbs we've got that they're not just pirates, but that's what everyone's assuming, so that's all the audience gets for now.

This poo poo owns so far. Crazy colorful, full of character. Very Turn-A/King Gainer feeling which is awesome. Yes, people don't act like people. It's disconcerting at first but believe me it'll be fun if you just roll with it.

There will probably be a ton of plot holes to pick at at the end, but it's really dumb to be flipping out about them now when it's being kept mysterious on purpose. This is a show, not a text book. This is thousands of years in the future and the world isn't nearly as straightforward as the first Gundam. It's mysterious, and that's fun~ Roll with it.

The lame female character designs are a legit complaint though. (Not whatsername's final breakdown, to be clear. That was totally legit. Also, I liked the "twist" where the director was his mother.)

Plus we know the pirates are probably not ordinary pirates because it's implied that mobile suits aren't exactly common outside of the military. There's a lot of small stuff to go on that can fill some of the blanks so far. The tidbits are enough to get me by, especially since at this point in time I'm more concerted about the characters and so far I'm fine with that aspect.

Also yeah, seconding that the reveal with Bellri's mother was neat. Nice twist on expectations there!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wish it would be possible to get episode by episode reactions for like turn a as it was airing.

I really liked the first episode, that madcap what is going on pace for an intro episode is a tomino thing I dig.
Probably catch 2 later.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Favorite small animation touch: that one cheerleader girl going way too fast and bumping her head on the glass.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is there a way to watch this in the US yet?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I wish it would be possible to get episode by episode reactions for like turn a as it was airing.

I really liked the first episode, that madcap what is going on pace for an intro episode is a tomino thing I dig.
Probably catch 2 later.

You know, I've never actually watched Turn A apart from a few snippets. I had a friend who is really into Gundam who shares the same opinion on 99% of series (we only really disagree a little bit on wing) who couldn't stand it and because I hate the art aesthetics I never bothered.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean aside from the big discussion in the Elder's chambers where they all talk at-length about the Ark in the sky they used to leave Earth behind and come to where they are now? How about the alien wildlife and funky green particles in the sky that people can surf on?

Well, now we understand the effects of bad storytelling. If that fact was mentioned during the Elder's plot dump and I missed it, then maybe they shouldn't have coyly avoided mentioning it for the entire rest of the show. Moving the entire plot via widely spaced exposition dumps encourages viewers to miss details. Alien wildlife and weird particles mean nothing in anime as that poo poo could have easily taken place anywhere (including, it turns out, Earth).

Bell and Aila apparently don't see eye to eye regarding why the Earth can't have solar panels. The specific reasoning for this has been excluded in the absolute clumsiest way I've ever seen, and the act of pointing out that such information is apparently prizeworthy is terrible storytelling on its own. There are many, many better ways to have the characters have that discussion without revealing that information, but all the current execution did is make some people laugh and make other people annoyed without making anybody interested.

I think I've posted all there is for me to say about episodes 1 and 2. I really hope G-Reco better establishes who is fighting who and why (even if it's not the show's true conflict, like in Evangelion, Ideon, or Gaogaigar), or at least finds a way to make an episode without a woman breaking out into tears.

Caros posted:

You know, I've never actually watched Turn A apart from a few snippets. I had a friend who is really into Gundam who shares the same opinion on 99% of series (we only really disagree a little bit on wing) who couldn't stand it and because I hate the art aesthetics I never bothered.
Turn A is a really good contrast to this show because it doesn't play coy with the fact that the main character is a Lunar spy. Since we know his backstory for real, we can better identify with him and don't have to be so shocked as to why he's such a badass or why he knows how to work space junk. The story then does really good character development moving forward, and his opinions about the war seem more well-rounded as a result.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 3, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

Yeah it seems this shows reception is going to end up the same way as Tomino's other late era stuff: One sect of people is going to love the hell out of it, and the other sect won't love it at all. Not much middle ground, but that's okay. It's okay to not like things.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

It's offputting to a lot of people because the beginning is slow as all hell (there are zero giant robots in that first episode!) but heck, it rules and there's really nothing out there like it. I wonder how it even got made though I guess the most reasonable theory I can come up with is that after cancelling Gundam X they decided to give Tomino carte blanche for the next Gundam project.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

It's offputting to a lot of people because the beginning is slow as all hell (there are zero giant robots in that first episode!) but heck, it rules and there's really nothing out there like it.

Well different strokes I suspect. I've pondered doing a episode by episode recap of it, but I don't think it'd be enjoyable to read since unlike AGE it isn't wholly without merit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang those AGE writeups weren't enjoyable to read but I feel like with Turn A there can be a lot of discussion. In batches, at least. As much as the episode where they use the Gundam to move a cow owns, it's not something most people can write a lot of words about!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say the absolute weirdest thing in the first episodes was Bell starting to give us explosition on why Earth can't have solar panels, it cuts away for half a second and returns to him going "and that's why" right before he gets slapped.

Like... I can't tell if that is Tomino going "this isn't important" (despite it being a characters' major motivation) or if it's supposed to be some kind of poorly-kept secret.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Dang those AGE writeups weren't enjoyable to read but I feel like with Turn A there can be a lot of discussion. In batches, at least. As much as the episode where they use the Gundam to move a cow owns, it's not something most people can write a lot of words about!

The Cow Episode and Washing Machine episodes are very important because they're very much the embodiment of Tomino's vision of preservation of ecology. The robot interacts with nature and a more simplistic way of life in a very direct manner. There's a reason Turn A is set during a Second Industrial Revolution analogue.

Also it puts a cow in its chest.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One criticism will make now is that the Harobe is somehow even more of an affront to God and humanity than the normal Haros.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I think I've posted all there is for me to say about episodes 1 and 2. I really hope G-Reco better establishes who is fighting who and why (even if it's not the show's true conflict, like in Evangelion, Ideon, or Gaogaigar), or at least finds a way to make an episode without a woman breaking out into tears.

Turn A is a really good contrast to this show because it doesn't play coy with the fact that the main character is a Lunar spy. Since we know his backstory for real, we can better identify with him and don't have to be so shocked as to why he's such a badass or why he knows how to work space junk. The story then does really good character development moving forward, and his opinions about the war seem more well-rounded as a result.
It's pirates!

Our main character is from a city/nation/thing that owns a space elevator. He's in military school. Their military have been called "guards" historically, but a new "army" is being organized, which indicates in a neat organic way without the awkward exposition you're clamoring for that, their nation's mobile suits have traditionally been for defense against pirates, but the situation is changing, and there's some international concern for reasons that are not yet clear. Are our guys revving up the imperialism machine? Or is Ameria the aggressor? Or have our guys basically won the imperialism game and thus Ameria's actions are sympathetic rebellions- the only way for them to express an independent energy policy, as hinted at in the cut exposition?

Well, the main character is an apolitical high school student, so we don't know! But if that all isn't intriguing as gently caress to you... I don't know what to say.

But my point is, all that is an interesting mystery percolating in the background. This is our protaganist's story, and he's fighting pirates and trying to protect people he doesn't understand.

So there we have it- immediate emotional understanding of the stakes, and a hint at a long term deeper mystery. What more can you ask for?

Even the original Gundam the exposition just said Side 3 was fighting for independence. It didn't say anything about them at all, who they were, why the conflict was important. It wasn't until dozens of episodes in that we had Garma's funeral speech and Amuro's "This is who we're fighting?" moment. Until that point he was just swept along in events, as I imagine our protagonist here will be.

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say the absolute weirdest thing in the first episodes was Bell starting to give us explosition on why Earth can't have solar panels, it cuts away for half a second and returns to him going "and that's why" right before he gets slapped.

Like... I can't tell if that is Tomino going "this isn't important" (despite it being a characters' major motivation) or if it's supposed to be some kind of poorly-kept secret.
The reason why they can't is probably pure propaganda. Whatsername certainly thought it was, based on her frustrated reaction. So on that level it probably isn't important.

It depends on how it's later treated, but it kind of works to skip over it now, as it makes the whole debate feel like not the point right now, as they're still in a crisis. I bet it'll go on for a while as an unstated assumption by sympathetic characters- emphasizing how much of a given the logic is. Like it's too obvious to state for most people. Or they'll just clear it up when things calm down. Either way, the little push of frustration that that cut caused added to the sense immediate crisis, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

The reason why they can't is probably pure propaganda. Whatsername certainly thought it was, based on her frustrated reaction. So on that level it probably isn't important.

It depends on how it's later treated, but it kind of works to skip over it now, as it makes the whole debate feel like not the point right now, as they're still in a crisis. I bet it'll go on for a while as an unstated assumption by sympathetic characters- emphasizing how much of a given the logic is. Like it's too obvious to state for most people. Or they'll just clear it up when things calm down. Either way, the little push of frustration that that cut caused added to the sense immediate crisis, I think.

It absolutely is pure propaganda but the propaganda and countering it are the primary motivation we're given for her so far. That frustrated reaction is something based off Bell said that we didn't see. They're not just assuming that everyone knows, they specifically cut it out only for the audience which is either clumsy or just kind of bad writing.

I can't really agree with the latter at all. If there is one thing Episode 2 did poorly I think it was convey a sense of immediate crisis. Everyone was entirely too relaxed about the situation even for a Tomino show. It wasn't even that it was played as comedy so much as just like... it lacked urgency. I never got a sense of fear or panic or even anything more than mild concern from any character.

Really, that is the thing that I'm starting to feel upon thinking about the episodes. Everything felt really subdued in a kind of weird way. The most shocking moment was Bell straight-up murdering the guy with the beam rifle shot to the cockpit, but even that felt oddly subdued. I kind of liked it there though because it felt kind of eerie not to have any cockpit death shot. He was just gone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 3, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH I JUST WATCHED THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW

THIS SHOW IS rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH I JUST WATCHED THE NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW

THIS SHOW IS rear end

I'm not really seeing the bad part here? I mean, yes, she is crying because the guy she seemed to have a huge respect for got straight-up killed.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I dunno everyone acting like weird nonsensical robots is exactly what I expect from a Tomino show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really seeing the bad part here? I mean, yes, she is crying because the guy she seemed to have a huge respect for got straight-up killed.

Yeah I really don't get that complaint either!

I mean heck, sure there are a lot of weird and unnatural reactions in the first two episodes but that's not one of them at all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

The same woman who broke down crying at the wheel in episode 1 and got her Gundam captured as a result?

If Build Fighters Try can somehow maintain a [Woman Breaks Into Tears/Episode Count] value of 1 or less, then it'll be an infinitely way better than G-Reco.

edit: I mean unless the running gag is that she's going to be crying about a different man every episode

edit 2: Remember when this character was announced as the Gundam pilot and people wanted to be optimistic about her?

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The same woman who broke down crying at the wheel in episode 1 and got her Gundam captured as a result?

If Build Fighters Try can somehow maintain a [Woman Breaks Into Tears/Episode Count] value of 1 or less, then it'll be an infinitely way better than G-Reco.

Uh, what?

Her Gundam got captured in episode 1 after it started to malfunction. She didn't break down crying at the wheel. She did have a frustrated crying thing afterwards which was weird but portraying it as 'she broke down crying and got captured' is straight-up inaccurate.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, what?

Her Gundam got captured in episode 1 after it started to malfunction. She didn't break down crying at the wheel. She did have a frustrated crying thing afterwards which was weird but portraying it as 'she broke down crying and got captured' is straight-up inaccurate.

All right, so there have been 2 female pilots in the show. Vegetable's FIRST THING SHE DID ON SCREEN was jump out of a cockpit crying. Aila's literally broken into hysterics every episode ("I get like this sometimes!"). The main character's mom showed up for 30 seconds, and everybody else is a cheerleader. With actual pom-poms.

This show needs a way better excuse than "Captain died the episode after Aina started crying and so she does it all the time now" to cover its issues.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

All right, so there have been 2 female pilots in the show. Vegetable's FIRST THING SHE DID ON SCREEN was jump out of a cockpit crying. Aila's literally broken into hysterics every episode ("I get like this sometimes!"). The main character's mom showed up for 30 seconds, and everybody else is a cheerleader. With actual pom-poms.

This show needs a way better excuse than "Captain died the episode after Aina started crying and so she does it all the time now" to cover its issues.

... You mean the scene where Monday gets thrown out of her suit and is dying in Earth's upper atmosphere? Because if you're reading that as "she had a crying fit at the wheel" then I'm not sure what to say.

The show doesn't have a great female cast so far but you're literally claiming things happened that didn't. Aida's "hysterics" in the first episode amounted to her tearing up in private for a few seconds and describing her as hysterical based on that scene is stretching it beyond the breaking point. Her second was, I think it's fair to say, at least somewhat justified.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Finished episode 2. Sometimes people cry, and sometimes people cry a lot. It doesn't instantly make them bad characters, emotion is important. Also that thing you do where you keep posting the characters names wrong isnt goofy or funny, just kind of annoying.

That said though pulling a tragic death scene out of dude who had like 5 lines and just showed up this episode was not a good idea. Almost no impact at all. :rip: kung fu zaku pilot.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

ImpAtom posted:

Ritsuko Akagi...the truth is...

Solar panels are extremely space inefficient methods of generating electricity, especially considering we have a space elevator and quite possibly the ability to put solar panels in space! It would be a much better solution to jus:words:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

... You mean the scene where Monday gets thrown out of her suit and is dying in Earth's upper atmosphere? Because if you're reading that as "she had a crying fit at the wheel" then I'm not sure what to say.

The show doesn't have a great female cast so far but you're literally claiming things happened that didn't.

No, Aila was the one crying at the wheel. The bit with Vegetable crying is the seed for another argument where people try to claim that the show is allowed to pick and choose where it can be "realistic" but I'm not allowed to say "this is dumb if you think about it logically." They didn't have to immediately present Vegetable crying, but they did for some reason. They also chose to present all the women in the show as incompetent.

The show is presenting a consistent troublesome tone, to the point where the context of those depictions is becoming secondary to the consistency.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Broken Loose posted:

You realize that Vegetable is basically brain damaged from oxygen deprivation right now? She fell out of her mobile suit in the super high atmosphere. Also screaming about terrible female characters in the first two episodes of a show because they're showing strong emotions for appropriate reasons makes you come off like you're salivating for some excuse to totally ownzone the show rather than providing actual legitimate criticism.

Also to Caros I'm not sure why you didn't understand why Bellri wanted to find Aida during the attack. They couldn't have hammered home "He has a huge crush on her" any harder if they tried without a voice over saying "And that's when I fell in love with her" the moment it happened. Even the other characters seem to understand it(and why Cheerleader Girl is so saucy with pirate lady).

The overwhelming sense I'm getting from the general level of unprofessionalism on display in the Capital Guard and the fact that the Capital Army was a brand new thing is that this is not a militarized society in the slightest. The Capital Guard look like a bunch of glorified rent-a-cops and custodians(there is a scene in ep1 where they mention learning how to repair the cables on the elevator if it gets damaged), not a regimented military formation of any sort. I'm totally on board with them being lax on military discipline because they're not a military. They don't even have combat mobile suits; their fat TV-head suits are using overcharged welders as beam rifles and load lifting arms as melee weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Yeah I really don't get that complaint either!

I mean heck, sure there are a lot of weird and unnatural reactions in the first two episodes but that's not one of them at all.

I think his complaint is that 3/3 episodes of G-reco have involved women crying about something. Not exactly a stellar fact considering how gundam treats women.

Eiba posted:

It's pirates!

Our main character is from a city/nation/thing that owns a space elevator. He's in military school. Their military have been called "guards" historically, but a new "army" is being organized, which indicates in a neat organic way without the awkward exposition you're clamoring for that, their nation's mobile suits have traditionally been for defense against pirates, but the situation is changing, and there's some international concern for reasons that are not yet clear. Are our guys revving up the imperialism machine? Or is Ameria the aggressor? Or have our guys basically won the imperialism game and thus Ameria's actions are sympathetic rebellions- the only way for them to express an independent energy policy, as hinted at in the cut exposition?

Well, the main character is an apolitical high school student, so we don't know! But if that all isn't intriguing as gently caress to you... I don't know what to say.

But my point is, all that is an interesting mystery percolating in the background. This is our protaganist's story, and he's fighting pirates and trying to protect people he doesn't understand.

So there we have it- immediate emotional understanding of the stakes, and a hint at a long term deeper mystery. What more can you ask for?

Its pirates! But no one seems to care!

Our main character is in a military academy in a nation that I guess is called Capital? Or is it called something else and they are just called the Capital Guard. There is also an army, but they don't explain the difference other than to say that there is a difference between the army, the guard and the academy that is told to us but not shown in any meaningful way as of yet.

There is a hint that there is a disagreement on energy policy (since the pirates are stealing energy stuff... I guess) but it is cut away in the most jarring and insulting way possible to the viewer. There is also a nation called Ameria, who may or may not be the primary bad guys. Hell, they may or may not be the people attacking the complex.

I literally have no idea having watched the episode twice whether this nation called Ameria, who I know nothing about, is the nation who is attacking the base of the Central Academy/Guard/Army/Lollipop Brigade. One could assume that it is them since the mobile suits they are using are supposedly Ameria mobile suits, and the one lady talks about the captain as someone who could have somehow impacted Ameria's policy, but I thought they were pirates. I the viewer literally do not know the name of the attacking force.

I also don't really know their goals. They are told to me, but they don't seem to be making any attempt to accomplish them. They nearly kill the person they are trying to rescue and don't seem to make any attempt to actually conduct the rescue. They also seem to know where the Gundam is, but they get lost on the way there because... reasons? 25 is a hard number to remember. They then switch plans to shooting it to pieces because someone is in it?

I guess that makes sense, they don't want to Gundam's technology to fall into the wrong hands. Except there is nothing about the gundam that seems to be really state of the art. It got beaten by cargo bots and if it was that valuable they probably shouldn't have been using it on a fuel raid. But I guess they had to for the plot.

The problem I have is that basic and fundamental things like who is on each side of a conflict are not really explained. The goals are suggested but no one seems to be working towards them. As I mentioned in my earlier breakdown of the episode, I have no idea why Bell ran off to the tower. Did he go AWOL from his job to do so? Or was his job to go get her? What was his plan once he got her, because it appeared to be just hang around with her and try not to get crushed until a plot convenience brought them to the Gundam.

The plot proceeds in fits and starts and expects me to follow along with a bunch of things that I am and am not told, often doing so in incredibly hamfisted ways. I have no emotional investment in Bell because he seems to just do things on a lark. Even when he launches in the first episode it seems more like "Eh, why not" than any sort of real tense or motivated event. Which isn't surprising since no one seems at all annoyed that this woman just held them all hostage and blew a substantial chunk off a mobile suit.

Not much point in going on I suppose. Some people will like it, some won't. I'm reserving judgement for at least another 4-5 episodes to see if it gets over this early hump.

quote:

Also to Caros I'm not sure why you didn't understand why Bellri wanted to find Aida during the attack. They couldn't have hammered home "He has a huge crush on her" any harder if they tried without a voice over saying "And that's when I fell in love with her" the moment it happened. Even the other characters seem to understand it(and why Cheerleader Girl is so saucy with pirate lady).

Yeah, but then its just a dog with a bone issue.

Oh no someone is attacking, I should probably rush over to the tower and... uh... I guess drag this lady around with me because... oh, uh... geeze I really didn't think this through at all.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 3, 2014

• Locked thread