Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been quite a few years since Tomino has directed anything, and over a decade since his last tv series.

Following a Tomino show weekly for the first time ever is gonna be a neat ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering all the pics and gifs shown so far (especially that eyecatch!) I feel like it's gonna be the light-hearted, whimsical sort of Tomino show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not betting on a Classic Tomino Murderfest but keep in mind that Ideon doesn't look all that dark either if you just go by character designs.

The first episode had that pre-airing awhile back and there are pics and gifs from it so that's what I'm mainly working from, not the character designs.

Meanwhile, there's a fair amount of death in that first Ideon episode!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

Interestingly, they're *not* using Wakanim, but rather Vimeo on Demand. 48 American dollars (~£30) up front for HD downloads of the whole season, first episode is free (and up now). Good news: no time limit on the downloads, and it's straight cash, none of this "credits" bullshit. [Edit] Free(er) streams are planned on other platforms (this probably means Netflix, but currently TBC).

It'll be interesting to see how well it does for them.

Should be noted that the first episode on this site appears to be region-free (or at the very least not limited to the UK), I'm in the US and can watch it just fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are a few nods to Turn A and other stuff in that first episode but the good news is, if you've never seen any of them then you don't have to worry because they're not important references or anything. The few things from Gundam stuff that actually matter are briefly explained.

As for that first episode itself, it's definitely a Tomino show! The odd Tominoisms in the dialogue are gonna be a love it or hate it thing with a lot of people, but I'm down with it.

I wouldn't say it's exactly like King Gainer but the trailers certainly weren't lying, the show is light-hearted, colorful, and a little bit whimsical. People bring up the Tomino shows where most of the cast die but a lot of folks forget that he can do a drat good job with his shows that don't end with a lot of death.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Uh, what kind of wizard secret did you end up doing to get it working in the US? Still says "not in your region, chump" for me.

The SD version on that UK site was accidentally region-free, and now it's not.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's pretty okay for a girl or anyone to break down crying when someone they care about dies in front of them

In fact it would be kinda weird if she had no reaction to that!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My money's on the OP animation being unfinished since parts of the show look a little rough around the edges (though it definitely feels like they're going with an older style with some of the direction).

But heck, I feel that roughness helps out a little bit with its charm.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In a gigantic twist, the entire cast started to cry about the rabbit ears.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree it's stupid, but I think it's meant to be a matter of pride and show how stupid they are. "We are here, that should be good enough to keep those filthy pirates/assassins/thieves at bay :smuggo:".

I guess to give them a little credit it sounded like the Capital Army is a recent development; some of the cast didn't even know what it was. That and the first episode made it sound like it's pretty rare for non-military to have their own mobile suits.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That scene unironically owned.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

For real, it's not like they had time to explain it with the pace they're moving.

Heck, I wouldn't want to watch a Tomino show where they stop the action to infodump about the setting this early on.

I feel like it's gonna be like a lot of Tomino shows; we're straight up thrown into the setting without a guide and the plot's not really going to start proper until we get time to get our bearings. But I dig that style. It's fun to figure out the setting's deets through context and via conversations that aren't purely for the benefit of the audience instead of stilted, dull infodumps.

It's like I'm skydiving, I don't want to pull out the parachute right away! That would be boring!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm mainly thinking of Tomino's non-Gundam stuff in that regard.

Like to name a few examples, it takes a little while for Xabungle to tell you about the Three Day Law and it's something the characters just talk about naturally. Plus it takes awhile before you really get a sense for what the actual conflict even is.

Or Overman King Gainer where we're just as confused as the protagonist in those opening episodes but hey that first episode ended with their town on wheels so that's cool even if we don't really know much about what's happening.

Stuff like that basically. Those shows are fine examples of shows that throw the viewer into the setting and they leave them to fend for themselves for awhile! (And they both rule hard)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eiba posted:

What exposition do you need? It's pirates. They've got a space elevator that's actually magic and not a space elevator, so they've got a pirate problem. And they're wary of Ameria so they think it might be them that's responsible for these pirates.

We can be pretty sure from the few blurbs we've got that they're not just pirates, but that's what everyone's assuming, so that's all the audience gets for now.

This poo poo owns so far. Crazy colorful, full of character. Very Turn-A/King Gainer feeling which is awesome. Yes, people don't act like people. It's disconcerting at first but believe me it'll be fun if you just roll with it.

There will probably be a ton of plot holes to pick at at the end, but it's really dumb to be flipping out about them now when it's being kept mysterious on purpose. This is a show, not a text book. This is thousands of years in the future and the world isn't nearly as straightforward as the first Gundam. It's mysterious, and that's fun~ Roll with it.

The lame female character designs are a legit complaint though. (Not whatsername's final breakdown, to be clear. That was totally legit. Also, I liked the "twist" where the director was his mother.)

Plus we know the pirates are probably not ordinary pirates because it's implied that mobile suits aren't exactly common outside of the military. There's a lot of small stuff to go on that can fill some of the blanks so far. The tidbits are enough to get me by, especially since at this point in time I'm more concerted about the characters and so far I'm fine with that aspect.

Also yeah, seconding that the reveal with Bellri's mother was neat. Nice twist on expectations there!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

You know, I've never actually watched Turn A apart from a few snippets. I had a friend who is really into Gundam who shares the same opinion on 99% of series (we only really disagree a little bit on wing) who couldn't stand it and because I hate the art aesthetics I never bothered.

It's offputting to a lot of people because the beginning is slow as all hell (there are zero giant robots in that first episode!) but heck, it rules and there's really nothing out there like it. I wonder how it even got made though I guess the most reasonable theory I can come up with is that after cancelling Gundam X they decided to give Tomino carte blanche for the next Gundam project.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dang those AGE writeups weren't enjoyable to read but I feel like with Turn A there can be a lot of discussion. In batches, at least. As much as the episode where they use the Gundam to move a cow owns, it's not something most people can write a lot of words about!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really seeing the bad part here? I mean, yes, she is crying because the guy she seemed to have a huge respect for got straight-up killed.

Yeah I really don't get that complaint either!

I mean heck, sure there are a lot of weird and unnatural reactions in the first two episodes but that's not one of them at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

I think his complaint is that 3/3 episodes of G-reco have involved women crying about something. Not exactly a stellar fact considering how gundam treats women.

And the crying in episode 2 was legit a reason as you can possibly get and we don't even know what she's crying about in the unaired episode.

It *is* really silly to see a shot of a woman crying without any context in an episode preview and to immediately assume it's for a dumb reason!

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

As I said before, the show is presenting a consistent troublesome tone, to the point where the context of those depictions is becoming secondary to the consistency.

Since people are not seeing this clearly, imagine a hypothetical show where the first episode features a pantomimed rape for laughs, followed by more and more rape jokes per episode and escalating to main characters being repeatedly raped on screen. Each of those incidents could be contextually logical but the consistency of that concept's depiction is itself troublesome.

In G-Reco, women are incompetent, cheerleaders, stage dancers for a room full of male politicians, or the main character's mother. They are also consistently crying, violently jealous, displaying fanservice, or just madly in love with one of the noble male characters.

Holy lol.

Did you not stop and read the words you typed at any point

Sharkopath posted:

I'm glad that as a forum we've evolved from the Car Analogy to the much more lucrative Rape Analogy market, however.

Same

SAME

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I don't know what's funnier: How I was proven wrong about the camera issue (because Bell's psychic), or how everybody else was proven wrong that the bunny ears were still a bad idea (because that's how the G-Self got nabbed).

Show us on the doll where the bunny ears touched you.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I like a lot of the background character animation, like Monday messing around with the pompoms while they talk about spacepope, and that girl who ran into the room too fast and bumped her head against the wall.

It's kinda crazy but the cast has so many women in it compared to earlier gundam, I hope when the obvious big plot change happens they'll be more prominent, especially since tomino mentioned already he wanted to make it a feminist show. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the early episodes.

Yeah while some of the animation has been rough at spots, it really makes up for it with all the nice little details like that. It really goes well with how colorful the show is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Echoing this; is there any way to watch this in the US that doesn't involve :filez: or some other arcane internet shenanigans that I'm clueless about? As much as I'm enjoying watching Broken Loose go into hysterics about women crying and MS design decisions, I'd actually kind of like to see the episodes myself so I can have some context for this entire derail.

Since the UK and Australia already have streams and there's no NA option, people are guessing that they're saving it for an announcement at New York Comic Con next week because hey isn't it *more* exciting to hear news about a stream at a press release a few weeks after the show starts instead of reading a boring announcement online before the show even airs!? (Of course not but some anime companies genuinely think that!)

So basically, that's the answer people in the US are giving to this

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 3, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of Gundam fans are also feeling alienated by it too, it's not just folks who haven't seen anything Gundam before. And heck, Tomino went as far as to say that Gundam fans would not enjoy the show :v:

(Though as a dude who generally enjoys Tomino's directing, I am loving it)

There were some really good posts earlier in the thread about what's going on in the show. There are a lot of little details that are easy to overlook due to the frantic pace but they reveal quite a bit of info.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Tomino likes dropping into a story without much exposition and just letting it play out until you understand the world by the end. Personally I prefer that method, where the characters dont expound on things for the benefit of the audience, but when it would make sense for them to be discussing it internally.

This one is way more straightforward then like Gainer's first episode was though, Kuntala not withstanding.

Yeah exactly. I dig it because most of the time the characters are speaking for their own benefit and not for the benefit of the audience. Which kinda feels rare in anime these days!

WickedHate posted:

That specific instance wasn't being hysterical, and if it was that one time it wouldn't matter(though she still had to lose the Gundam to the Proper Man Protagonist).

And that other time she cried is as legit a reason to cry as it gets.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

You realize this is not a historical log of things that actually happened? People consciously assembled these events and the situations to make these characters act this way.

Y....yes?

They consciously decided to show a character crying when a person they cared about died in front of them. I'm not seeing a problem with that? It's not exactly like that's an uncommon sort of thing to write! Context is important.

Heck the previous page gave examples of dudes in Gundam shows crying over the very same thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

There's also the idea that the Capital Guard and Army are separate institutions, one civilian and very unprofessional, and it shares that concept with Turn A Gundam.

Another thing shared with Turn A Gundam is that Ameria is also a country name in Turn A Gundam. Considering the time difference between the two settings I'm sure it's just a neat little nod towards Turn A rather than something that's going to come up as a direct link between the two, but that's cool nonetheless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Ultimate Hail Mary Conjecture: It's a direct prequel to Turn A and in the final scene the bunny ears slide down to become a mustache and the moonlight butterfly gets activated, smashcut to black.

I think I'd enjoy it if they did it in a way that doesn't wink at the audience about it. Maybe just implying that the crazy tech for the Turn A is being worked on and leaving it up in the air as to what that could mean.

WickedHate posted:

I'm just saying, crying three episodes in a row, plus the other stuff, is pretty suspect.

We don't even know the context for what's going on in next week's episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Or maybe the feminist angle is just something that becomes more prominent as the story develops.
I think it's dumb to write something off like that when We're not even 5% of the way into it, yet.

Yeah there are some Tomino shows with some well written women in it. And a lot of those examples weren't fleshed out in the very first episode too. I'm down with giving him the benefit of the doubt since when he does it right it's certainly better than most anime these days. If something happens that makes me change my mind, then ah well, 'least he tried.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

it would have been pretty funny if she had bailed in a particularly egregious way, to be honest

People trying to jump over water but failing is always funny, man or woman.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I think they're treating it more as shock from the lack of oxygen and the whole thing, than as straight up permanent brain damage.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently amnesia due to lack of oxygen is a thing, and usually temporary.

Kinda reminds me of a more extreme case of what Amuro's dad had. Better hope she stays away from stairs!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tomino's old and might as well have been retired before this. I feel like it's a safe bet that most of the stuff in this show is happening on his terms.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's because the show literally just started and people are leaping all over themselves to draw conclusions about the characters as a whole based on attempting to pick specific scenes out of context to prove points about how misogynist the show is. It's like there's some loving competition about who can be the most offended about how regressive and disgusting the show is instead of actually giving the characters any time to see if they actually are what people think they are. It's like reading the first chapter of a book, seeing the word "bitch" used, and throwing the book into a fire because it's hateful anti-woman trash.

It's entirely 100% possible that Aida will be a poo poo character and the show will be weirder about women than V Gundam but there's literally no legs to stand on for a misogynist argument yet beyond crazed extrapolations like "this girl has cried in three of the ten scenes she's been in, ergo women always cry and are weak".

Build Fighters had a female character who was introduced as a backstabbing conniving idol who used her feminine wiles to sabotage the protagonist in an effort to win a competition for her own benefit, and it was horrible and ugly introduction to a female character, and then that character ended up being the strongest and best female character in the show by a country mile. Similarly another female character spent most of the series being an incredibly strong and independent character who was one of the strongest contenders in the competition, finished her primary plot arc, and promptly fell off the face of the earth except to get chumped by grunts and have to be saved by her boyfriend.

The point is that unless you have no interest in the story itself(and thus should stop watching because it's an anime and you're not obligated to see it just because it's Gundam or a Tomino show), you really need to take in the piece as a whole before you evaluate the merits of a character.

These are some very good points that people should read because heck, when the first season of Build Fighters aired the idol character that Kanos is talking about was pretty reviled initially and there were some similar arguments going on in that thread (though not quite as heated as in here, yeesh).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

What are the positives you see so far in the show?

I really like the way Tomino shows usually open and this one is no exception. I'm thrown into a strange, colorful setting without my hand being held and I'm loving every minute of it. I like that nothing is being explained yet and I gotta learn things via context. People mention that there are stylistic choices akin to 80s anime and I feel like another similarity is that most of the first act is going to let the viewers become familiar with the cast and the basic details of the conflict before it really takes off, much like a lot of mecha shows of yore.

Potsticker posted:

Why do you think some of the complaints will become obsolete?

Just like Kanos said, the situation can certainly improve as we get to know the characters.

Tomino can be weird with women, he either does a great job or a poor job and it feels like he rarely does anything inbetween! So I'm not sure how it will wind up but the last few things he did (that were admittedly quite some time ago) handled them pretty well.

Potsticker posted:

What is there to look forward to?

See the first answer, also Tomino shows can take awhile to get going but once they pick up momentum I really enjoy them. He's drat good at delivering a satisfying ending and I don't think it will be any different here.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 4, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sunburnedcrow posted:

I just finished the first two episodes and I kinda like it. The only reservation I have is Monday, otherwise, the colourful visuals and general happy atmosphere are enough to keep me on board. But this being a Tomino show, the ending may end up to be like Zambot 3, and I really hope it doesn't happen.

Tomino has also made a fair amount of shows that don't end in a lot of death. Considering the tone here I'd be really surprised if that were the case.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

There hasn't been a kill em all Tomino show in 20 years(V Gundam), dudes. He's made much, much happier stuff since then.

And heck, even during that phase he still had plenty of upbeat stuff. It's just easier to note the ones that do end with everyone dying!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everyone dies eventually.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for missing this (probably) but is it on gundaminfo or CR yet?

Not yet. It's theorized that they're making an announcement at NYCC later this week but that means unless you're in the UK or Australia you're gonna have to resort to piracy to get it.

Delayed streaming announcements sure are cool and not dumb at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Random animal shots are a Tomino staple and it's a p cool way to do an establishing shot. Heck, ep 2 even had one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

I could not get enough of the Montero loving with the wildlife by flying at low altitude.

It was the best.

Heck, this episode had a lot of hilarious moments. My faveorite was Bell's casual butt-grab that lasted too long.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Liveposting a show that's so frantic that you can miss out on a lot if you're not paying close attention doesn't seem like the best idea!

(Also the pooping scene at the end actually owned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

The detail to the clip on the platform was a masterful touch, just that it was animated and included, normally it would have been scratched out and made a stiff stale experience. These are some of the most "living" characters I have seen for dog knows how long in anime. Tomino you beautiful bastard, I should read your books.

This is a thing I really love about the goofier Tomino shows and I'm glad it's out in full force here. There's always so much life to it, even if they gotta make it look a little janky to do so!

• Locked thread