Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's Gundam's 35th anniversary this year, and series creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino is back for his first major production since Turn A Gundam in 1999!

Set after the Universal Century (Original Gundam, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, and more recently, Unicorn) and in the new Reguild Century, specifically RC 1014, it follows the story of Bellri Zenam, a member of the Capital Guard, a military group in charge of protecting the orbital elevator, Capital Tower. Since it's Gundam, a troupe of space pirates attack the tower, and Zenam finds himself taking control of a highly advanced mobile suit called the G-Self.

Zenam, along with the G-Self embark on a journey with the space pirates to discover the truths of the Reguild Century...

CHARACTERS

Bellri Zenam
Pilot of the G-Self and pilot prodigy from the Capital Guard.

Aida Rayhunton
Original pilot of the G-Self, space pirate, and female lead. Probably the love interest of Bellri, hopefully it'll go better than most other Gundam romances.

Why should I bother?
It's a Gundam series directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, the last series he had this much involvement in was Turn A, which is regarded by much of the fanbase as the best series. That alone has built up a great deal of excitement in the fanbase.

Also this is a thing that happens in it.

Am I going to need to watch Universal Century Gundam to enjoy this?
From the looks of things, no. While it is set after Universal Century, this is at least 2000 years later, so it should be able to stand on its own. That being said, you should still watch Universal Century Gundam productions. In fact, Tomino, being the wacky guy that he is, has outright said that this series is not meant for fans of UC Gundam, but for the children of fans of UC to enjoy.

When is this airing?
It begins on October 4th, and will run for 25-26 episodes.

Preview Videos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_kQZLb64E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJu_Sx6lGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ByoabdSRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN3KN5Xlo8U

Gundam megathread if you have any questions regarding other series
Gunpla thread if you have questions about the wave of models this series will bring about.
Here's the thread for Build Fighters Try.
For the first time, two Gundam series will be airing at the same time, this alongside Gundam Build Fighters Try, the sequel to last year's surprisingly fun series. Most likely, it's Bandai hedging their bets, so even if Reconguista fails, Build Fighters Try will get them a good amount of cash as Build Fighters did last year.

EDIT: Hey, guess what? As of 2/26/15, or about 22 episodes into the series, Gundaminfo's finally uploading episodes on YouTube for everyone to see! Check out the playlist here, and if you haven't had a chance to get into this series, do it, it's turning out to be one of the better series.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

No, it stops punching, pulls its arm back, and then starts randomly twitching. That's when she says it's the wrong response.

As we all know, the Gundam's most sensitive nerve endings are in the V fin, in this case, the bunny ears. Word of advice, don't touch the Turn-A's mustache, it's what sets off the Moonlight Butterfly.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Overlord K posted:

I enjoyed the first two episodes. :)

I also get the feeling this is going to be just like Turn A, where I'm going to be rooting for the not-main-love-interest girl due to liking her more so far. I still feel bad for Sochie all this time after the simulwatch when I think about the end of Turn A.

:hfive:
Frankly I really enjoyed it and the selective lack of exposition left me really curious. One of my favorite things to do is speculate on what's going to happen in any given form of media, so this has been really interesting to me. That and I have some level of blind faith that every character will have some form of fulfilling arc, so I'm just looking forward to next week. And to all these kits coming out so I can buy them all. :shepspends:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really just sounds like people are hoping for a return of Kill'em-All Tomino to me. All you really need is a mention of the Turn-A as a prototype somewhere in the latter half the series to know the ending's not going to be happy, no matter what.

Frankly the very existence of the Turn A guarantees that there's no happy ending in any of the Gundam series, even ones that end on an incredibly optimistic note like X, Wing, and 00. At some point, maybe 10 years down the line, maybe 2000, someone finds the Turn A and Turn X and poo poo goes south.

Srice posted:

And heck, even during that phase he still had plenty of upbeat stuff. It's just easier to note the ones that do end with everyone dying!

It's just one of those things he'll never live down, the first half of his career was dominated by high body counts, so that's what people expect of him. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Do not fall for her sweet-talking! I have it on good word that she's a pirate. Of the space sort!

Two episodes in and I'm left wondering: Did Tomino deliberately went for a rookie when he chose this Mark Ishii kid to play Bellri? He kinda reminds me of a similar thing Daisuke Sakaguchi and Tomokazu Seki (I think both were like 20 too) had going for in Victory Gundam.

Yeah, he felt all the popular voice actors out there sounded too alike.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I think still this show is quite poo poo in many ways, but I don't really care at this point now that Good Gundam has started airing and I can just rewatch episode 1 of that each time I consider arguing with you guys.

Unrelated: It's really funny comparing the AGE thread to this one. I love Tomino very much (Zeta and Ideon are 2 of my top 3 favorite shows) but the Tomino hype in here is so high that the same criticisms leveled at AGE are dogpiled down in here.

The criticisms levied at AGE were rampant misogyny, since there was a grand total of 2 moderately important female characters that didn't make a baby and disappear and even then it was the third gen's captain and one of Asemu's buddies in his gen. They also had horribly boring fights pretty much the entire time, plot devices that were flat out abandoned for no real reason (Sorry, AGE Device, you were a cool gimmick), and mech designs that looked like they were lifted from Zoids. On top of which the entire story (Also poo poo) was penned by a JRPG director who tried to write it like a JRPG, right down to random encounters and a final boss, compared to Tomino, who's the creator of the franchise. The hype is a little understandable all things considered. Not saying it's justified, but I can understand it. Frankly I'm just excited because I like Bellri, Aida and Bellri's cheerleader buddy who's name escapes me are both growing on me, and the overall mech design really blows me away since it's really out there and crazy, and right now, that's what I'm in the mood for.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Don't you be hating on the Dragon mechs man. They were cool.

Except for the Zamdrag. That can screw right off.

Oh no, I wasn't saying I disliked them, I just said they looked like they were taken from Zoids. Dragon Zakus are both cool and good in my book.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Please can we not have this argument again... :cripes:

Listening to the OP/ED songs for the hell of it, is it just me or does the ending song feel a bit more like an "opening" than the show's actual OP? Maybe it's just because it feels really upbeat and adventure-y.

I'm ok with dropping it. And I agree with you on the ending song, they're both legitimately great songs, and I can't wait to hear the full versions of both of them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My big question is whether beam weaponry is a thing, since the Grimoire, Recten and Cait Sith all seem to not use typical beam weapons, but at the same time they don't use shell based ammo. Only the G-Self seems to have beam weapons, at least as far as I can recall and my memory isn't the best on this subject.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The Grimoire's smg looking thing with the whipbayonet uses shells, it was a cool shot when they showed it off.

So yeah, I think they're restricting energy so people don't fully develop beam weapons and gain a full offensive edge on the Capital.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

The Montero seems to be heavily beam weapon equipped. The Javelin, rifle and vulcans are all beam weapons if I recall correctly.

Likewise the G-self has an i-field equipped shield. Seems like higher end suits have beam weaponry, while grunt equipment is limited to shell based.

For all we know about the Montero it could be something that Ameria blew most of its energy ration on and we have no idea what the G-Self's origin is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

I watched a little over half of Brain Powerd and to me a lot of it felt like it was being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. It was a weird show and the sort of weird that I didn't find very interesting, outside of the occasional bits of incredibly bizarre dialogue.

Pretty great music though! And the Nagano mecha designs were sweet.

Yeah, one of my friends was watching me play SRWJ and they asked me what the powers of all the mechs that he didn't recognize were.
Combattler V: Fights with yoyos
Zeorymer: Basically a robot god that teleports and nukes the planet then regenerates all the damage that got through the god shield.
Brain Powerd: Best theme song.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Oh no, I agree with that, my friend didn't see it though.

Some people probably want something that's way more grounded, like a regular UC show. Personally I like how lighthearted this show is at its core.

Honestly, it's what I like too, and I'm really curious as to where Bellri's going to go from here as a character. I mean, right now he's actually being pretty calm considering he just killed a man. A very small part of me hopes he goes semi pacifist almost in the same vein as Kira but not quite as holier-than-thou, but I'd be totally fine if he decides that he can't help it if people die.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Jegan Ace posted:

Can we get to discussing how dumb the D-Pad mechs look in G-Reco?

Like, how does the 4-arrow face unit even work, if it even does anything?

They look just the right amount of outlandish, considering they're largely unimportant worker mechs.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

this is just 4 u:

My friend and I were joking about eyecatches and the number one thing we want is a walky thing (Shank I think, not sure) dancing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just want to see a straight man funny man bit between Klim Nick and Harry Ord.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think the Reflector pack is in the end of the OP, and I know the other suit is there.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

For all of the flaws SEED had, I never had a problem with them making the Bright equivalent a woman.

Yeah there were a a few fanservice shots (that they admittedly recycled over but SEED hella reused footage anyways) but overall I think she was a deece character.

Tho I think that overall Gundam has handled women really well and really poorly; there are a lot of different people making it throughout its 35 year history so of course you're gonna get a wide range of results with women.

Ramius was one of the best characters in SEED, and after Bright, she's probably my favorite captain. I mean sure she had a meltdown because Mu died but before then she had some really good interactions with Kira. Then again she got the older sibling characteristics of Bright and Natarle got the "gently caress you up for not following military code" characteristics, so who knows.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm sure that by the end, a lot of people were watching out of morbid fascination too.

It just kept getting worse.

It's why I kept watching to the end. That and the beepy noises the enemy suits made.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

When Bellri finds out that he offed Dellensen, I hope he collapses into a crying wreck in the same room as Aida so they end up crying together. Then Noredo starts crying because Bellri is crying. Then Happa or Klim Nick or the Megafauna captain is all like :yikes:

Nah, Klim Nick would probably be the stoic "This is what warfare is all about..." guy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe I've not been paying close enough attention, but what is "the taboo"? Bellri mentioned the "cheap tricks" of the Elf Bull changing forms, is it to do with transforming mobile suits? Or was he just crazy with grief and paranoia there? In any case, he didn't seem to think the Elf Bull should be as it is, why? Is it just too powerful?

We don't know the full coverage of the taboo yet, but we know it has something to do with the development of mobile suit technology and that the Capital Army is breaking it with suits like the Elf Bull.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Perhaps all of Gundam can be likened to humanity trying to leave their poop-filled sphere of water.

The poop is a metaphor for nuclear war, obviously.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvtko347pek

The guy that does good 8bit renditions of a lot of different show themes got around to this show.

It's a nice arrangement, I think.

It fits the bill for being a badass Mega Man stage theme like most Gundam themes translated to 8 bit.

Honestly I can't wait for the G-Arcane's sword mode to pop up since it's one of the main reasons I love the poo poo out of it. Also it's orange and I like orange.

Ethiser posted:

I'm pretty sure they already announced a Hecate model.

I believe they did, probably releasing in either January or February.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The closest analogue to the Kuntala is obviously the Burakumin, but if you can't see the also present analogues between the mask team and historical segregated units I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, when I saw the Kuntala unit the first two things that came to mind were Robert Gould Shaw's all African American unit from the Civil War, and the 442nd Infantry Regiment from WW2.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar cowrote a really really good and cool book about the 761st tank battallion, and if you have any interest in minority perspectives of that time period or the operations of armor in general its a nice read, although very depressing because of the inherent subject matter.

Turns out being a tanker loving sucks and the ways you die in them are horrible beyond belief, which is only made worse by the rampant mistreatment you'll receive from the very people you are pledging to defend.

It's called called Brothers In Arms if you'd like to check it out.

I am pretty interested in history, especially since my grandfather was lieutenant in a tank battalion in WW2. Thanks!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Great episode, really feel like the show is going places, and it's reached that point where I'm actively terrified of the next episode.

Klim may be eating it soon (:smith:), and hopefully that'll motivate Bell to finally stay with the pirates.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

That was implied by the whole 'not getting shot down' thing. Frankly it was nice to see a woman do something, I just wish they'd actually 'show' her doing something instead of merely existing to buy time for Goku Bellri to show back up. What is more egregious is the fact that she had to hold them off by herself while Aida had a fully armed and functional mobile suit that she decided to land and hang around in.

Fully armed and functional mobile suit that she's still not entirely used to controlling. They outright say this during the episode.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

So stand in the back and take pot shots?

Or hell, stay in the cockpit at the ready in case mask decides to do a flyby on multiple stationary targets within easy reach of the battlefield.

Mask was a little distracted not getting his poo poo wrecked by the mobile armor and Klim double teaming most of his squad.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It's that time of the year again. Here's a look at some upcoming suits.

The Trick Pack, not to be confused with the Tricky Pack (no seriously)

The... Jaiohn? I dunno. Figured it was a new Gundam at first, but the lack of a G in the name probably means it's for an ace. Maybe Klim's new ride?

And the Mack Knife (Mask Custom). You have three guesses who this is for and the first two don't count.

Goddammit Bandai, stop making me want every High Grade you're cranking out. :negative:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sue posted:

Don't worry, it will most likely never show up again.

I wish it did, but on the other hand Bell wasn't a huge fan of it. I just want to know if we'll see the Reflector pack again, that's tied for my second favorite with the Assault Pack.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well Tomino got one over on me, I genuinely was terrified for Klim to eat it this episode.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Goddamn, Mask is such a close second behind Klim for best character. :allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

You did a good job.

モンテーロおつかれ

:911:
May choirs of angels sing you to your rest.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dessel posted:

I would like to say that the Space Garanden is so sexy :allears:

I'm not sure if I prefer the rear

or the front

or the side profile the best

:fap:

I must be one of those warship lovers.

It's got that perfect combination of Rewloola and Imperial Star Destroyer. You're not alone. :hfive:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Steer owns. My other favorite crew member is the blond guy with aviators, hawaiian shirt, shorts and high socks. He looks like Quattro if Quattro had just given up after joining the AEUG or something.

My favorite is Adam Smith because he has a custom helmet to fit his sweet as hell hair style.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer when the thread is cool than when it's pointless arguing.

Agreed. Did you chuckle when Mick yelled "That's our genius" when Klim did some crazy melee combat stuff? I know I did.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

For all intents and purposes it's like welding a grenade launcher to a forklift.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Other lines from the first episode include:

"Fight! Fight!" - From Bellri's group. I assume they are training to become the 1010'th Capital Guard Fight'n Engineers.

They're a bunch of high schoolers/college students getting amped the gently caress up about going out in space. Frankly I'd do something similar. Probably not yell fight in pseudo Japanese but definitely something along those lines.

edit: Pfffft wow I got beat on this one.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People want "Kill'em-All" Tomino back, and what says "kill them all" like wiping out the entire cast and untold billions with a nice big apocalypse?

I don't know why, I love wacky disgruntled anime grandpa who hates what kids are up to these days then he has mobile suit toilets and dancing eyecatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I honestly thought the Black History was eventually they find the Turn A, then a timeline gets knocked back to the stone age, so it's all sequential. By this logic, UC took place, then Reguild Century, then Correct Century. Everything else happened before then. I still haven't watched Turn A, so I'm just talking out of my rear end here.

• Locked thread