Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad that FIELD  2  :  DESSERT is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Oh definitely, and that was the best part about him (after Caro). (I meant an awful caricature of black people, but I assume you and everyone else actually knew that).

Nils was my favorite character from the show, he ruled.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Loran sorta counted but Nils is explicitly the first time a person with a similar background to me showed up in any anime I can think of ever, he's the loving coolest even if he's a goofy motherfucker.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Nils reinvented Plavsky Particles, there is like a 100% chance of him showing up 7 years old at some point. :allears:

I hope he has somehow become even more samurai in that time. Just walking around with a topknot and katana and a labcoat and treating it like it is 100% normal.

I hope he has to do it in secret because Caroline won't let him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

He carries a briefcase everywhere with an emergency kimono, in the hopes that one day he can get away from her security guards and live freely, as a man should.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

So what you are saying is that you weren't raised on the moon? :v:

It's very hard to find combination Master Detective/Martial Artist parentage representation in media.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

I was pretty indifferent to it myself despite loving the heck out of the first season. Felt like a rougher start than the first season to me, since we more or less had to sit through a tutorial session whereas the first season had Reiji figure it out live.

I think with me personally it's because the first season was the next Gundam thing after AGE, whereas this is happening at the same time as G-Reco and I'm just way more hyped for that!

I think it's a better intro than the first series, but I think that only lasts as long as they realize it should be the Fuumina show about Fuumina, who is the strongest character so far.

muike posted:

That would be cool and that boy had better earn his own gunpla instead of just finding one hidden inside of a Dom inside of a trophy inside of a trophy case inside of the shed outside the school which is inside japan, which is in the ocean, which is on the earth, which is in space, which is also where arian probably is. So when I put it like that it actually makes a lot of sense.

My friend was real mad when the cool dom got exploded and the lamer gundam came out instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I knew it was gonna be something like that, but in my heart of hearts I was hoping for Duke Dom, Martial Art Mobile Suit extraordinaire to stick.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I didn't think it was as good as the first episode. Fight wasn't as good and they replaced the lighthearted comedy with generic melodrama until around the post credits bit.

Yuuma's a pretty boring dude, would have liked to see that story told from Fuumina's perspective instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I ended up liking the main character more than I thought I would, that enthusiasm is infectious.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you wanted to be specific, I think structuring fights around the fight itself lets you be way more open and creative with how they go down, when you have to tie them to specific story beats you want to hit it weakens it overall and also absolutely destroys any mystery or tension. Once Fuumina got electrokidnapped you knew how it was going to end.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's proving to be a really competent tactician too. She got a good read on the lineup right from the get-go and put Sekai to use hunting Yuuma down while she drew their attention with her tank of a GM.

Oh I wish Fuumina was the main character. Sekai is like that red head dude from the last season but way more appealing as a character to me, I don't know exactly why.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's because I too have the soul of a warrior inside me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I just realized a grown rear end man beat a child in a game of gundam fight and gloated about it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is a show where grown rear end men get beaten by children 99/100 times. Its probably an achievement :v:

You shouldn't be allowed into Gundam Fight Centers as an adult unless you are just watching your kids.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yuuma is my favorite character so far because he's just trying to have generic "but my tormented past, you wouldn't understand" mysterious logical genius pretty boy drama, except it's about toy robot battling and nobody else cares enough to let him be cool and mysterious about it.

If they played it for comedy that would be cool, but its mega straight and really incongruous, and boring besides.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

ImpAtom has always been a dude who is completely honest about his opinions, so I am p sure he is writing all this stuff because that's how he feels, not because of some really bizarre plan to get some sort of passive-aggressive revenge over the G-Reco thread.

The G-Reco Illuminati will not take this insult lying down, there wil be blood for this transgression, because that is totally a thing that is happenning instead of different people just sharing their honest opinions, haha.

People replied earlier but phonepost so: I think the after credits scene was comedic, and good for it, but the entire rest of the episode with its framing was setting up yuumas story as something genuine. It would have been really easy to spin it in a comedic fashion overtly, even just by having fuumina react to how silly he was being, but the development team made a conscious decision not to, and it drags the whole episode down.

Its mega easy to read it personally as farcical in nature, but I don't see any of the artistic intent in it.

More fuumina and hijinks, less of whatever that was in the future, hopefully.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Really hoping they don't gently caress up Gyanko with forced overexposure deadpool style

Also lmao at thinking Yuuma is being played as anything close to a straight dramatic arc. Motherfucker literally was screaming about how nobody understands my paiiiin over tiny plastic robots. This is one of those situations where a good dub is the best way for the melodramedy to illustrate itself.

That's not what happened, or how it was framed.

They did a straight dramatic arc because that's what they wanted to do, but I'm glad it's out of the way now hopefully and he won't be a dumb goof anymore.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not some incredibly silly story, dude just quit because he lost and it took kung fu to bring him back. None of the musical cues or even the way the characters reacted to him were played for comedy, even though it would have been very simple to make that happen. If you want to read it as comedic that's cool, but it's really just a boring straight story that ties the episode down and takes the place of the actual good light comedy they could have written, like last episode was full of.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Actually it took Fuumina being electro kidnapped now that I think about it... hopefully that's over with too.

I'd like to see Fuumina win for herself, and not get relegated to just transforming into a boxing glove for sekai to use.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not even close to an entire SD Gundam.

At worst, going by the colour scheme, it's mounted onto the SD Winning at the start of the fight and launched from it. (Loophole-ing it around the same theoretical tournament law with the Agrissa turning up mid-fight)

Yeah that's good then.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad the Boxing glove is comfortable to wear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah yes, the Concession Signal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Much better episode than the last one, This show is a lot of fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh haha, Gyanko's VA is the same lady that did Sazaki's voice.

Family ties run deep.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but I admit it's a little disappointing when they do it. One of the fun things about BF is that (combat yells aside), they rarely forgot they were writing a show about plastic toys which they used to good effect at times. So that or moments like 'we gotta protect these downed Gunpla" feel kind of weird and forced and honestly like the writers getting a little lazy and putting a 'stock' trope in to the series. It's a minor complaint, admittedly.

One thing that Try has been kind of poorer about is making it feel like models are fighting instead of tiny robots. Hopefully the next episode will be a bit better about that since it is the first real 'building' episode.

I just assumed large portions of the cast were big gundam fans, so them writing/animating things like it was a regular gundam show doesn't bother me that much.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I mean I agree that the colony vacuum part was silly to a negative degree, but reacting to hits and dramatic yelling are pretty necessary if you want to do a show like this.

Imagine Build Fighters if everybody played it the way people really play competitive videogames, dead silence and manic focus, the only noise generated being the agressive clacking of the holographic control stick things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

On the other hand: I bet gunpla battle would have the hypest casters and announcers ever.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, did anyone else chuckle at the Mocks holding targets up? I want an HG with those as accessory hands.

It was my favorite little detail in this one.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They'll have to fight an even bigger magic crystal this time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In a shocking turn of events radical gunpla extremists plant a bomb at Bandais production facility and Sekai has to be given instruction by a JSDF EOD tech to fly the build burning into the center and punch it into defusal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The battle of Thermopylae but its entirely too many Mocks.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The gunpla goes haywire worldwide and Sekai needs to quickly teach the rest of the cast a rudimentary form of Jigen Haoh Anti-Plamo Martial Arts to help combat the threat. In a rather inspired decision from the director the last 3 episodes are just a live camera setup of all the voice actors smashing and stomping on an endless variety of different gundam models .

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The final confrontation will be interrupted by a spliced in version of the mitchell and webb skit about football, but ramba rals va dubbing "ZAKU!" over every instance of the word Football.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yuuma is shaken to the core by Sekai's noble sacrifice through the use of the ultimate forbidden martial arts technique, and honors his memory by never using a sniper rifle in gunpla battle again, because snipers are the loving worst.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Didn't say G-reco wasn't good. Just it hasn't been my cup of tetley.

I had a feeling it was always going to be that way from the start for a lot of people, so it's a cool thing that there's another gundam show out there that's also very good and caters to a different taste.

I doubt it was a conscious decision on Sunrise's part but it works out for the best.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Good to know it's not just me. While watching this episode I was reminded of the episode where Reiji and Aila went out together and got to make their own gunpla, and animation-wise this ep definitely felt lacking.

I think they're still trying for the same level of goofiness (they still have quirky expressions like at the end of this episode) but it feels like they're restraining themselves a bit in how they handle it. Odd!

Probably just reserving more budget for the robot fighting part, it's a shame, but I guess you would call that understanding the audience and what they really want to see.
I thought it was really goofy when sekai/hoshina/ral were talking and instead of just having the camera farther out to show all three of them at once it panned over to hoshino and cut sekai in half.

I thought it was a pretty good episode though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

When the all-amphibious mobile suit team loses I will drop this show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AMPHIBIOUS MOBILE SUITS WORK IN SPACE TOO. I WON'T HEAR NONE OF THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Amphibious mobile suits are the most sensual and powerful type of all the gunpla, the future of mechanized plastic warfare rests on their noble and strong shoulders. Other robots pale in comparison and I can't wait to see what contrived excuse they come up with for how it could ever be possible for a Kapool to lose to anything, because of how inherently insane that concept is.

• Locked thread