Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kuroyama posted:

GundamInfo confirmed they will be streaming this.

Looks like they've already got a playlist page set up for Build Fighters Try. Says the first episode will air at 8pm Japan time on the 8th, and that the video should be up the following Wednesday.

So goddamn hype for this. :allears: :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Caros posted:

So considering we are three days off, am I the only one who is hyped to everloving gently caress?

I'm at the point where I'm afraid the anticipation is either going to drive me insane or make my head explode. I haven't been this psyched up for a Gundam series since the first time I saw G Gundam.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I've been waiting all morning to finally get a chance to sit down and watch this.

God drat that was worth the wait. :allears:

I love how Sekai is basically what happens when you mix Reiji with Domon Kasshu. Seriously, look at this kid: introduced searching for his older sibling by showing people a photo, was off on a martial arts training trip with his master for a long time, used the Meikyo Shisui to block Mantis Man's sword with his suit's bare hands... I can't wait to see what he can do once he gets a chance to actually put the Build Burning Gundam through its paces. :swoon:

Fumina's also pretty cool. I love her enthusiasm and her earnestness; she doesn't just want to build models to put on a shelf, she wants to be a Gundam character because she genuinely loves Gundam. Even though she was rescued by Sekai during the fight, and even though she got eliminated from that Battle Royale at the start, she certainly seems capable. Also, I was amused by the decoy balloons she deployed during the Battle Royale sequence; that was a nice touch and nod to UC-era battle tactics.

I'm also really interested in finding out why China's little brother turned into such a jerkass.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Oh build fighters, you money making machine you. :allears:

Given that it showed up in the simulator, I'm genuinely hoping Bandai releases a kit for the Mock. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth.

Hey, remember how the G-Reco thread turned to poo poo for a few pages when some goon declared it was terrible that the female lead does nothing but fail and cry when all he had to go on was two episodes and an episode preview? Remember how much that sucked? Can we maybe not jump to conclusions like that here, and give the writers the benefit of the doubt that Fumina's not just going to wind up as China 2.0?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

At no point did I go on a rant about how the show is misogynistic or whatever. v:shobon:v

You still just basically dismissed Fumina as having any worth as a character based on a single episode and a preview. The thing is, Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist. The narrative is following her inner monologue, not Sekai's. She's the first of the main characters we see on screen, and she's the one who has an actual goal (compete in a Gunpla tournament) and an obstacle (no teammates). If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this? Why isn't it focusing on Sekai's thoughts and goals?

It's like Mr. Ral says, Sekai is the new Reiji, and Build Fighters wasn't about Reiji; it was about Sei. Sei wanted to compete in Gunpla Battle, Sei wanted to be the very best like no one ever was; Reiji was just tagging along for the ride.

Fumina isn't the new China or the new Aila; she's the new Sei.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No she isn't.

She's literally the first member of the main cast we see, she's the one with the dilemma that needs to be resolved, she's the one who's pushing Sekai to join her club and fight alongside her, she's the one actively working to move the story forward. In what way is she not the protagonist?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

You also took "do nothing of worth" to mean "worthless character" which isn't what I said.

Now you're quibbling over semantics. If the character is going to "do nothing of worth," then why bother having the character to begin with? Yes, the episode is about "the boy who called the wind"... as the solution to Fumina's problem. Again, if she's not the primary actor of this story, then why is it bothering to focus so much on her?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

There was some kind of weird Plavsky particle hax going on during the reveal, which stood out to me. Look at the damaged parts of the Dom and how they start glowing from within; that's definitely not normal. And when Yuuma finally did finish off the outer shell, he blew a hole clean through the Dom's torso; yet there wasn't a scratch on the Build Burning Gundam itself. Finally, even if Sei is a master modeler, it strikes me as odd that nobody noticed anything unusual about the Dom when the were handling it. Sei noticed something odd about China's Beargguy III (the cotton, though he didn't seem to know what it was at the time, just that something felt off about how the model moved) the first time he handled it, but somehow neither Sekai nor Fumina noticed that there was another model inside the first model?

I'm really curious to hear the eventual explanation for what exactly the hell was up with that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Did Fumina ever get her hands on it? I can't remember. It was the first time Sekai ever saw gunpla before, so he may not have known how much they weigh or how they are supposed to handle.

Yeah, I'd be willing to give the both of them a pass on that aspect, mainly because Sekai's never really handled Gunpla before, and the one time I can think of that Fumina actually was in physical contact with it was when she accidentally tackled Sekai to try and catch it before it fell off the field. Given that she was distracted by that, it'd make sense that she might not notice anything odd about the model itself.

The weird glowing from the battle damage and lack of any damage on the Build Burning despite the Dom having a hole blown clear through its torso still strike me as odd, though. I'm just going to assume that this is this season's "Reiji suddenly started glowing and vanished" moment and that it'll be explained in due time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

But what the hell is "reflected world?" and "special processing"

My guess is that "reflected world" means something along the lines of "how in-line is this with an actual canon suit from the original series its derived from". Kind of like how up until episode 9 of season 1, Sei was trying to keep the Build Strike Gundam as something that would plausibly fit within Gundam SEED or a SEED side-story.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 26, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

One of my favorite moments I forgot to mention earlier that I don't think anyone else has talked about: the scene where Fumina shows Sekai a Gunpla for the first time. You see the look on his face... smash cut to her trying to desperately drag him back in because once he saw it was "just a toy" he was all, "Nope, gently caress it, I'm out." Cut to commercial, and when it comes back you hear Fumina explaining the basics, so you figure, "Oh, cool, she must have convinced him to stay somehow."

Then you see she's got him tied to a chair. Probably the funniest moment in the episode.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I know the answer is 'comedy physics' but I have to wonder how the crap she restrained a super-kung-fu master without him breaking free.

I'm guessing that even though he's extremely skilled at actual fighting, he's still just a middle school student, so he's likely nowhere near physically powerful enough to just straight up break the ropes. And depending on her knotwork, he might not be flexible enough to slip free.

As for why he didn't just break free from her before she tied him up, he's a shonen anime martial artist, and is therefore incapable of bringing himself to actually fight a girl for real.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Say what you want about that moment... it certainly left an impression on the audience. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

It was a pretty good series if you ignore that the depressing movie exists.

To this day, paying money for a copy of that movie is one of my biggest anime regrets. It took everything that was fun about the TV series that I loved and just completely shat all over it. :negative:

I will never get tired of this being a thing. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Episode rocked, fight was awesome, new OP kicks all kinds of rear end. (New OP is called Cerulean.)

Also, trying to discern what the hell it was that chumped Yuuma's Airmaster in the cold opening:

I can see the wings from the Deathscythe Hell Endless Waltz version and two of the extendable arms are from the Nataku... and I cannot for the life of me make out anything else in that horrid kitbash. :psyduck:

Caros posted:

That Deathscythe hybrid thing is creepy as all hell.

I'm calling it the "Kitbash Hell Custom" until we get an actual name for it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

This is my take on it as well, it as being "illegal" because he didn't start out with it, he added it in the middle of battle. G-Bits, mobile armors and the like can be fine, but only if you start out with it; if you start out with a base Justice or GP-03, you can't suddenly add the Meteor pack or Dendrobium out of nowhere, unless maybe if it were being controlled by other people at the start as well. Even in the case of the DX from last season, his G-Bits were being controlled by other people so most likely he started out with them.

In other words, it was illegal because he summoned a bunch of monsters in one turn.

Agreed; I would liken it more to the 1/48 Zaku II being dropped into the middle of the battle royal in 7th Championship's second preliminary round, or Baker changing the field in the middle of the SBS vs. Exia Dark Matter match in the finals.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Guys, you're missing the point. ImpAtom's not saying Fumina's not a good, skilled pilot. He's saying that she's not being allowed to be the ideal Strong Independent Female Character Who Don't Need No Man to Help Her Get Ahead that his Social Justice Warrior ethos needs her to be.

ImpAtom posted:

Do people think I'm sitting here watching the show going "haha, you suck, I can't wait to complain on the internet about it! I'll take this all wildly out of context because I win" or something?

No, I think you're letting your preconceptions about what you expect to happen color your interpretation of actual events. But I've realized that it's a waste of time arguing with you about it, since nothing anyone else says is going to convince you otherwise, and nothing you say is going to convince us that you're right.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I apologize for the SJW shot; that was out of line on my part.

Here's the basic issue I'm having: I'm enjoying the show. I'm enjoying the fights. I'm enjoying Fumina doing some awesome stuff in the fights and actually being good at fighting.

ImpAtom watches the show, and everything Fumina does that's awesome, he sees as being tainted because either
  1. she had to have help from Sekai or Yuuma
  2. it came at the cost of Mantis Man being a terrible creepazoid towards her

The problem with the first is that the whole show is set up around the premise that this is a team effort, and that you need good teammates you can depend on. But no, since she's the girl, it's automatically terrible if she has to be helped out by her male teammates, or if she does something to help them out, it's just her being reduced to a helper instead of being allowed to be awesome on her own.

The problem with the second is that why should Mantis Man being a terrible person somehow automatically make the cool stuff Fumina does less cool? Like ImpAtom keeps pointing out how Mantis Man was making creepy comments and was just generally being the worst character in the show... and Fumina handled it just fine. She didn't just slump down in defeat when he immobilized her suit, she didn't scream for Sekai-kun or Yuu-kun to come rescue her, she didn't freak out and try to run when he rushed her proclaiming that he'd take her hostage. She struggled against the Agrissa and the moment she was free, she reoriented herself and went right back to trying to kick his poo poo in. But no, because she had to be rescued and because Yuuma and Sekai also participated in taking down Mantis Man, her contribution is somehow automatically not as important or valid.

That's the impression I get from ImpAtom, and it's frustrating to read his posts because as well-thought out and put together as they are, he doggedly refuses to acknowledge counterarguments that refute his points and clings to this idea that "Fumina is never going to get to do anything cool on her own."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I just think the show has a habit of underutilizing them.

Fair enough.

ImpAtom posted:

(Well, no, I think Mantis Creeper is pretty crap but he's probably not going to be frequently reoccurring like Sazaki so it's okay.)

I genuinely hope now that he's hooked up with his stalker vice president, that the two of them are out of the picture for the rest of the series. (Seriously, what the hell does she see in that guy? Actually, scratch that, I'm not sure I want to know. :gonk: )

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think we're going to see a high budget fight for a while. The team's still getting together, the championship is a while off, and none of the rival characters have been introduced.

Yeah, Build Fighters's first real "holy poo poo that was amazing" fight wasn't until episode six when we had the Build Strike Full Package and the Zaku Amazing tear each other apart. At least for me, anyway.

BlitzBlast posted:

Although it would be awesome if the very next episode has the Destiny pilot show up and wreck face, because lord knows I need to see the Destiny accomplish something for once.

Nah, next week is Gyanko and Team Northern Song Dynasty Vase.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a unique, heavily-customised, scary-looking suit that traumatised Yuuma enough to put him off the sport for life, and was kept heavily shadowed so as not to show off too much detail. I would be astonished if it and its operator didn't end up being highly plot-significant.

At the very least, we should get an episode out of Yuuma having to face the thing and managing to forget the fear and doubt and fly again thanks to FRIENDSHIP. :buddy:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Goddammit, this show has made me want to do a kitbash of a loving Sengoku Astray, Crossbone Maoh, and Tallgeese. How the gently caress do I even start on something like that?

Might be difficult, given that as far as I remember, the only 1/144 scale Tallgeese is the old no grade one from Wing. Also, glancing over the instructions, the only things that I can see that would be easily swappable between the Sengoku Astray and the Crossbone Maoh are the waist/legs and the heads.

Not saying it's impossible, mind you, just that it would require a lot of hard work and effort to pull off. :shobon:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 16, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Personally I've never been a big fan of the second Yuuki fight. There's the part when they first close in and have a little five second sequence where the strike's gun gets crushed to death that I really like, but the entire rest of the fight is really lackluster to me. I dunno what everyone else loves about it.

The first Yuuki fight is incredible though, if a tad short.

I think the main thing that gets everyone about the fight in episode six is just how much the Build Strike and the Zaku Amazing tear each other to shreds over the course of the fight. It's the kind of fight you'd expect to see at the end of a season between the protagonist and his Char clone, not something that you'd see 1/5th of the way into the season. Not to mention how brutal the fight itself was, and how the damage kept escalating until both sides were reduced to dogfighting in their respective booster units.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So here's the timeline as near as I can figure:

20X0
Ral turns 35
7th World Championship - Star Build Strike Gundam wins
Reiji and Aila return to Arian, Build Fighters season 1 ends

20X1
Ral turns 35
8th World Championship - Build Strike Cosmos Gundam
Fumina and Yuuma promise to play Gunpla battle together when they enter middle school

20X2
Ral turns 35
9th World Championship

20X3
Ral turns 35
10th World Championship

20X4
Ral turns 35
11th World Championship - Build Burning Gundam built

20X5
Ral turns 35
12th World Championship
Fumina enters middle school
Yuuma gets owned by Kitbash Hell Custom, loses confidence

20X6
Ral turns 35
13th World Championship
6 Years Later epilogue segment from the Build Fighters Blu-Ray takes place
Yuuma enters middle school
Yuuma breaks his promise to Fumina, joins Plamo Club instead

20X7
Ral turns 35
Build Fighters Try begins

So what I'm wondering is what exactly happened 3 years ago that made Sei decide to hide the Build Burning Gundam inside a Dom, then hide the Dom inside his old trophy for the 7th tournament?

Also, loved the episode. It's amazing how disturbing Mantis Man manages to be even when he's not creeping on Fumina. Also, Team Northern Song Dynasty Vase was awesome. I hope we get kits for those, though I'm not optimistic (though maybe we'll get an HGFC Rising Gundam as part of the All Gundam Project... I mean, we got an Airmaster this year, after all... maybe G Gundam can get some more love next year...)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, did anyone else chuckle at the Mocks holding targets up? I want an HG with those as accessory hands.

Mock = best faceless grunt MS ever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, I don't know how many of you follow the Battletech LP over in Games, but in light of this post a few days ago:

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, the Jetstream Attack was pretty much "The two of us run around like idiots while that other guy gets stabbed!"

I was really amused to see Team Song Dynasty Vase pull off a successful Jet Stream Attack on Sekai. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

HG 1/144 High Mock & HG 1/144 Mock Armory Set - Announced!

quote:

HG 1/144 High Mock (Release Date: Jan 2015, Price: 800 Yen)
HG 1/144 Mock Armory Set (Release Date: Jan 2015, Price: 600 Yen)

I already have an idea for a custom paint job for this. :swoon:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

They also pointed out that Sekai's...er, "shooting abilities" were a nod to Patlabor's own Ohta who has similar quirks (and stance) when firing weapons.

Which is actually pretty hilarious when you consider that the one time Ohta's ever shown to actually be competent with his sidearm was on the practice range.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Let's talk about next week's episode preview instead; was that kid at the end of the preview the same kid from the opening credits with the Destiny Gundam?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Ramba Ral is too good for that other show.

Nah, he was just leaving to grab a change of clothes and some friends.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Rewatching episode 3 again, I noticed something interesting during the fight.

This is the Build Burning Gundam immediately after getting hit by the Jet Stream Attack:

This is the Build Burning Gundam after reemerging from the water and deflecting Gyanko's missile barrage:

Where's the damage? The Rising Gundam's heat naginata should have left a very nasty slash in the BBG's torso... but it's apparently unscathed. And between the Powered GM Cardigan losing its arm and its shield, and the R-Gyagya losing one of its shields during the same fight, we know that at Model Damage Level B, the models should show some signs of actual damage from being hit by attacks. It could be an animation oversight, granted, but... I dunno, this feels like it's more significant than the Kampfer Amazing and GM Sniper K9's beam sabers swapping colors during Bloodhounds. I mean, this would be the first time the Build Burning Gundam has taken an actual significant hit during a fight, which would in turn be a great excuse for Fumina and/or Yuuma to teach Sekai about repairing his model after a battle in the next episode. But apparently Sekai was able to just completely no sell that attack like it was nothing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Wait, where was this analysis when the Dom got pierced through the chest to reveal the Burning Gundam....

Yeah, I pointed that out, too, but nobody else cared or considered it significant enough to think about. :shrug:

W.T. Fits posted:

There was some kind of weird Plavsky particle hax going on during the reveal, which stood out to me. Look at the damaged parts of the Dom and how they start glowing from within; that's definitely not normal. And when Yuuma finally did finish off the outer shell, he blew a hole clean through the Dom's torso; yet there wasn't a scratch on the Build Burning Gundam itself.

I'm really curious to hear the eventual explanation for what exactly the hell was up with that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'd err on the side of 'lazy writing' before the Build Burning having miraculous nanomachine technology or something considering nobody has pointed it out onscreen yet. It could be otherwise but I kinda doubt it.

On the other hand, one of the first points that gets touched on in the first episode is that Gunpla Battle invariably leads to something you invested a lot of time and hard work into getting completely trashed if you lose. And the new Gunpla Battle start up sequence actually indicates how much damage the models will take during the fight itself.

As you said, it is entirely possible that the writers are just lazy, or the animators could have just made a mistake. I could just be way over-thinking a dumb kid's cartoon about little plastic mans beating and shooting the hell out of each other.

But it still just strikes me as strange.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Episode was great. After that fight between Sekai and Sakai, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Winning Gundam in action. Also, I find it interesting that Sekai mentions that he's not actually from Tokyo; I wonder where in Japan he and his sister are from originally? I doubt it'll be important in the long run, it just strikes me as odd that Sekai felt the need to correct Sakai on that point.

Also, seven years later and Mr. Ral's hemorrhoids are still acting up. Poor guy. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I voted in that a few weeks back. Voted for Gundam Spiegel, even though I realize it'll probably never make it in. v:shobon:v

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

I like how one of the powers of Ral's Gouf is apparently to completely change the field being played on

I think that was just because it was a training match.

Chewbacca posted:

Or, seeing as how Gunpla is so popular in this universe, can we assume that the MG line is much larger there?

Most likely this. Those lucky bastards probably also got more G Gundam MGs than we got.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, this is the BF Shinn expy. Mamoru is stiff as a board and six feet down.

Nah, this is still Build Fighters, so it's probably a bit less dark than that. I'm thinking hospitalized, probably in a coma, after someone made fun of his Destiny Gundam looking like crap (probably because it was his first Gunpla), so he ran off crying and got hit by a car or something because he wasn't watching where he was going.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The SD Gundams are however considered 'girl' mecha (due to being cute) which is why she is getting one. It was pretty surprising they had two dudes fighting in SD Gundams last episode in a good way.

Regardless of anything, BF (and BFT) seem to have a very clear gender delineation between male and female robots. Women pilots (almost) exclusively pilot either 'cute' mecha or robots piloted by women in canon. The exception seems to be stuff customized to be more girly. (Miss Sazabi, GM Cardigan.) Likewise I don't think we ever see a dude piloting a 'girl' mecha, with the SD Gundams this episode being the first pretty cool deviation from that. (Although in this case both of those robots are guys in their canon.)

How is the GM Cardigan considered girly? I'm not disagreeing with your main point, mind, it just doesn't really strike me as having been redesigned to be more feminine like the Miss Sazabi.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In Japan a cardigan is frequently associated with teenage schoolgirls. Male versions exist but it's just the perception. That is why Fumina's is the GM Cardigan. It isn't redesigned like the Miss Sazabi though, aside from the bright yellow coloring.

Ah, fair enough.

Also, would it qualify as a "girly" mech if it was something that was piloted exclusively by a female pilot? Because I just remembered that Carlos Kaizer, a former World Champion, had a custom Alpha Azieru in Season 1. (Though, granted, all we really got to see of that was what was left of it after Aila tore it apart off-screen.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, you're right about that one. I forgot about it because it never showed onscreen but that was totally a guy piloting a traditionally 'girl' robot.

Yeah, only other example I can think of is kind of a grey area, and that's the Build Gundam Mk. 2. I tend to associate the Gundam Mk. 2 more with Emma Sheen and Elle Vianno thanks to the Gundam Musou games, but it was also technically a hand-me-down from Kamille before he swapped over to the Zeta.

I guess the Lightning Gundam would also fall into that grey area, since it's based off the Re-GZ, which Chan ended up taking after Amuro moved up to the Nu Gundam. But like I said, it's kind of stretching it a bit on those two. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be a double meaning. The joke is definitely that she wears a cardigan, though.

I wouldn't put it being a double meaning past them, given that the cardigan sweater is actually called that in honor of Lord Brudenell anyway.

Wikipedia posted:

The cardigan was named after James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, a British Army Major General who led the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War. It is modelled after the knitted wool waistcoat that British officers supposedly wore during the war. The legend of the event and the fame that Brudenell achieved after the war led to the rise of the garment's popularity.

So yeah. Learn something new every day. :v:

That said, isn't the production team fairly responsive to questions and such from the audience? Maybe someone who actually knows Japanese can tweet someone on the staff and ask them directly?

• Locked thread