Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wonder if we'll get an Old Guard vs New Generation match.

Edit: Goodbye, old thread. You were great.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

So since they already pulled out goddamn G-Savior, bets on the most obscure cameo this time around?

Gaia Gear? Gunboy-Wilbur (or anything from For the Barrel)? ...Ganota popping up in the background?

Doozy Bots cameo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There was apparently an advance screening of the first episode held in a movie theater in Japan. First impressions are largely positive.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's there to spoil in the ED/OP of a series about smashing little plastic robots?

Well...

Apparently Sekai meets up with some mysterious shadowed women later on.

That's about it, I think.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"It's not like he transferred from another planet or something."

Subtle, show. Real subtle.

Great first ep.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

One thing I do like is that Sekai, even with his martial arts skills, isn't able to evade Yuuma's sniper shots, and that the battle ended inconclusively with both suits about to strike each other. Since this is supposed to be a team of three it's nice to see some acknowledgement that the others can keep up with Sekai, at least for now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

This is set for 2-cour like the first series, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wait, why do with think the opening battle was a fantasy sequence?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

You still just basically dismissed Fumina as having any worth as a character based on a single episode and a preview. The thing is, Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist. The narrative is following her inner monologue, not Sekai's. She's the first of the main characters we see on screen, and she's the one who has an actual goal (compete in a Gunpla tournament) and an obstacle (no teammates). If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this? Why isn't it focusing on Sekai's thoughts and goals?

It's like Mr. Ral says, Sekai is the new Reiji, and Build Fighters wasn't about Reiji; it was about Sei. Sei wanted to compete in Gunpla Battle, Sei wanted to be the very best like no one ever was; Reiji was just tagging along for the ride.

Fumina isn't the new China or the new Aila; she's the new Sei.

Well to be fair Sei was not a shining example of good character development.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hope Yuuma spends time moping that Sekai was the one who got his hands on a one-of-a-kind Sei Iori custom instead of him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want to know about the poor shmucks who got assigned Ball army duty.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wish they'd go deeper and make the announcements references to specific places (yes I know the actual areans are usually cribbed from Gundam locations but I'd like the announcers to acknowledge it."

"Field 27: Axis"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

DookieSandwich posted:

I wonder if praying mantis guy is going to get a team together to get back at Fumina and shut down the Gunpla club. Maybe Sazaki's sis will be in cahoots with him.

Sazaki's sister already has her own team.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

'Reflected World'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Man I can't stop watching the scene where Build Burning explodes out of the Dom.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dude comes in boasting about how he coated his gunpla in metal sheeting to ensure it's the most durable machine in the whole drat tourney.

5 seconds after the battle starts he realizes that the plavsky particles can't move his gunpla since it's covered in metal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Man I am so anxious for the next episode to be out you would not believe

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Fumina calling Ral out on his cliche lines was also fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love Fumina being baffled when she saw that Eri had sortied in a Hobby Hizack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As long as we're continuing the discussion,

Yuuma spent the entirety of the episode either on the back foot or getting his clock cleaned by the most amazing/awful Wing kitbash I've ever seen.

So we have that as well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe the dude's shtick is that he's so skilled in battle he can get by on uncustomized models.

... Maybe Bandai discovered a huge stack of vanilla Destiny kits in a warehouse and they want to get rid of them quick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The really important question is: What's the Destroy and/or the Psyco classified as?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It has Hydra wings too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Karuoko is popular because Sazaki is popular and she's his sister. Also she has a pretty nonstandard character design that makes her stand out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Allan never appeared to care much about the battling aspects, so I don't think he'll be frontline anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hey, you guys, stop being mean to Obright's reincarnation

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe she saw Fa as a role model.

... That's not actually better, is it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want the pilot to be a martial artist rival to Sekai and they spend their whole fighting punching each other.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want to know what Gyanko's wingmen will pilot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Gaining a momentary advantage by distracting your opponent with how stunningly awful you look is a time-tested tactic of any Team Fortress 2 player.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The joke would only be complete if he smooths back his hair and goes completely bishie as well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That reminds me that I want to see someone trying to play with a cheap Chinese knockoff model.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well now I want to see variants for all the other characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Fumina is piloting the GM Cardigan in the preview and this is also supposed to be the episode she switches to the Winning Gundam, so expect the thing to get wrecked yet again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

S1 was a pretty slow burn, at the start people just went along with it because it seemed like goofy, lighthearted fun and most were just pleasantly surprised it wasn't absolute dreck. I think episode 6 was the first one where people really sat up and paid attention.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZKmEVz0CU

Yo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No matter the time or setting, snipers yelling at idiot teammates not to block their view remains eternal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Probably the main rival's entire team, and maybe the Meijin's team too.

BTW, we have the name for the Hyaku Shiki variant used in the OP. The kanji reads as 'Million Shiki' and the pronunciation is 'Mega Shiki.'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No, Mantis dude said in episode 1 that Sei only ever won one tournament seven years ago.

He participated, but that doesn't mean he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I would like to point out that Sazaki's shields took a direct hit from a Sei-custom unit piloted by a kung fu prodigy and didn't even get scratched. The colony was less durable than the shield.

Sazaki's been practicing over the last 7 years.

• Locked thread