Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Literally The Worst posted:

That's a five foot tall bookshelf. It literally doesn't fit with the booster legs on. It's tall enough that the shoulders are almost to the ceiling, and I don't have anywhere else to put it.

Saw off the bottom half of the bookcase, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her previous teams never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

I took it as a flashback sequence to a battle from before the club lost all it's members or a flashback to a smaller, non-team tournament.

I also think it's premature to pass judgment on any of the characters let alone our protagonist.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, great first episode, fifty posts in the thread, let's see what-

This. Can we wait until we've seen a bit more before dismissing the show as misogynistic garbage? :sigh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Still waitin for a Neo Zeong bossfight.

1/48th scale scratch-built Neo Zeong. :getin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The GIG posted:

No one did that though? All that one dude said was they're starting to do the thing where the lady pilot gets chumped quick to make the protagonist look cool, which they pretty much did.

Yeah, they did do that. You might not have read it that way but a bunch of other people certainly did.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I just want Ral to still inexplicably be 35 years old in spite of 7 years passing. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I came here to post the exact opposite.

She got taken out by an unexpected gimmick and needed to be rescued from Captain Grabbyhands. He used a 'cheat' but oh look, it was mysteriously Fumina who got caught by it, subjected to a bunch of creepy lines and had to be rescued. The only way she 'finished off the Agrissa" was by shooting it after Sekai already tore it to pieces and it was helpless.

This episode basically confirmed my fears. She got to blow up a single character. The only other girl pilot who was portrayed as being a terrible pilot and an easy kill who intentionally threw the match.

Ehhh, Sei and Reiji got disabled by the Apsalus III and had to have Mao save them. It's pretty clear that Fumina is stronger than the model club prez since he needed to cheat to turn the tide against her. I would have liked it more if Fumina had gotten the kill shot on the model club prez but this was Yuuma's focus episode so I'll let it slide.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I guess my problem with this argument is that the first series was heavily based around the idea that people kept secrets and used gimmicks as a primary central part of their combat abilities. The two 'straight' fighters were Reiji and the Meijin and even then Reiji had Sei's gimmicks and tricks making up for him and the Meijin had his own share. I guess you can argue Felini too, he was pretty straight-man fight guy.

So the argument of "she would have won if he fought her straight on" doesn't really make sense to me because that is never how Gunpla Battles are shown to work. It is why the "build" part is so important. The truly talented fighters are able to get past dirty tricks or have tricks of their own or exploit their enemy's weaknesses.

Here is an exact quote of what the Student Council President said about the battle "It'll be a 3-on-3 team battle, just like the championship." So yeah, I'm pretty sure that one could interpret that as saying that they are using the championship rule set.

I get the impression that you don't get even a fraction of an ounce of enjoyment from the show, if you hate it as much as you seem to just move on and if you don't hate it then stop coming off as so utterly bitter and negative.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Awesome episode, my face almost hurts from smiling the whole way through. :haw:

OMG, the "R35" stands for "Ral 35 years old." Beyond perfect. :swoon:

Gyanko was awesome and I'm rooting for her with Sekai. I also liked seeing Fumina getting to out fox the other team, that poo poo-eating grin spreading across her face when she tricked one of the other team into getting sniped was awesome. :black101:

I'm loving the way the characters are playing off of each other, it's just so fun. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Geez, it's not that hard guys, they were basically gunpla LARPing. It's more fun that way even if it does make you look goofy as hell and the alternative would be boring and make for a much less entertaining show.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how badly Sei loses.

I thought the first season was entertaining. :smith:

They did the same things in the first season. Christ...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't as good as the previous ones but these sort of set-up episodes are usually on the lackluster side so I don't mind too much.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

You know, considering how Lady looks otherwise they should have given her drill-hair.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't as good as GBF was but I still enjoyed it.

I'll go stand in the corner for being wrong and uncritical and a misogynist or whatever. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I said I liked the episode too. v:shobon:V

Forgive me for believing otherwise when your posts are 90% "This show is bad because x, y, z." and 10% "But don't worry, I "liked" it."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I. No.
He literally has his fist shoved up her rear end.

SomethingAwful.Com: No fisting jokes allowed. :colbert:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Man, some people here sure are uptight about fisting around here. :v:

Jesus Christ guys, it's obviously a joke, a pretty funny one even. You're creepy if you jerk off to it, you're not if you laugh at it, calm the gently caress down.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Caroline gave up on trying to make him wear normal people clothes so now he's just running around the lab in stars and stripes tanks and zubaz and the gaudiest nikes you can imagine.

No, the sneakers with the lights that flash as you step. I remember having those as a kid. Ahhh, the 90s. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That episode kind of owned.

No "kind of" about it. I had a grin plastered on my face the whole time. :allears:

Yuuma being a total dork, Mirai's antics in general and her awesome dick-punch of the arrogant pretty boy character, Sleggar being Sleggar. Hell, even the fanservice stuff was unobtrusive because it was completely overshadowed by characters being awesome and goofy. What a fun episode. :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, if you look closely at the background of the Beargguy F box art, you'll see a Beargguy II box.

Holy poo poo, hats off to you Bandai. :golfclap:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Reviewing the race/fight a few times, something interesting stands out to me.

During her one-on-one fight against Taku, Mirai has Mama-Beargguy shield the Petit-Beargguy with its body to protect it from the Turn A's beam rifle. But that's kind of pointless, right? I mean, model damage level set to B means that it wouldn't have really done anything.

Except the system's damage level wasn't set to B when it was started up. In fact, there was no damage level indicated at all during the setup, which means it was likely left on whatever the default setting is. We know that "B" is the "slight cosmetic damage, limbs can be popped off" setting, and since it has to be specifically set, it's most likely not the default. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "A" is the default damage level (since logically A comes before B comes before C), and that's what the race was being run in. After all, whoever sponsored this thing wasn't expecting it to actually turn into a battle, so why would they bother adjusting the damage level?

So when Taku fired on the Petit-Beargguy it's entirely likely that he could have destroyed it with a shot that powerful. Mirai chose to sacrifice her first gunpla that she built to protect the gift Yuuma gave her. (On that note, the fact that Mama-Beargguy was still in one piece after tanking that hit is a credit to both Yuuma as her teacher and her as a student.)

The practical upshot to all this? If it was set to A, then that means Petit-Beargguy absolutely wrecked that Turn A's cockpit. :owned:

Uhhhh, I think you might be overthinking this. :catstare:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

JFC "War in the Plastic" that's terrible. :ughh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shameful Opinion Time: A Thousand Suns is the best Linkin Park album, and I think The Catalyst would have made a pretty great song for a Gundam TV Opening.

There, now you can start making fun of me for liking Linkin Park.

I don't have the heart to make fun of you for that, just pity. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Maybe all of this Fumina being backup for Sekai and Yuuma is just setup for her to become the main fighter and OWN everyone in her brand new Star Winning Gundam.

I know it won't happen, but it's ok to dream isn't it? :gbsmith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a great episode.

And yeah, I hope Fumina's development was to fight for herself instead of wishing that her team mates were there for her to help or to help her. Teamwork is great and all but if you are always relying on having someone for you to help or to help you, you end up never doing anything yourself. I want to see Fumina get the spotlight too!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was great, basically:

everythingWasBees posted:

Yuuma had a bit of personality, Hoshino realized she needed to rely on herself, the Build Burning got totaled, and the ~Mysterious Girl~ turned out to just not want to fight against weak opponents. It's pretty much everything that we wanted to happen, all in one episode. Here's hoping they can follow up.

^This.^

I can't wait for next week. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gundam Build Fighters Try - Meijinger Z vs TryOn 3, GUNPLA IS FREEDOM!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That was a pretty good episode, I really liked Fumina's bad rear end saving the day moment.

As far as the Sekai-Fumina-Gyanko-Shia love square I don't really have a problem with Fumina crushing on Sekai, there isn't a ton of chemistry there but at least she knows him well enough that it's believable that she could be crushing on him. I'm ok with Gyanko because she's hilarious. Shia feels really forced though, I understand why they did it on a narrative level but I think they really should have introduced Shia earlier in the series. If they had done so we would have had something to speculate about earlier on in the series too, like "Who is this strange girl that keeps showing up around Sekai?" and then you reveal that she's a world class builder & fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

chumbler posted:

This:

Has not gotten enough love in here. I look forward to angry Fumina literally and figuratively carrying her team next episode.

I also like that Star Winning's funnels aren't just the usual swarm of tiny pea shooters, but bigass cannons.

Yeah, that was my favorite part of the episode.

Badass Fumina makes me all :swoon::hf::allears:

• Locked thread