Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nondevor posted:

also hahahaha oh my god, they included a Shark-Mouth Ball inside the Ball fleet, I'm loving it already

But no B Gundam. What a wasted opportunity.

...seriously I want that thing to appear someday, it's so ridiculous I love it.

Episode was great. Sekai's fun as hell, and I love how pumped up he got for Gunpla after watching Fumina play. It'll be fun to see how he G Gundams everything. BGM is excellent, I especially liked the song that played both times Sekai got serious.

The entire battle against the Eniac was cool, and holy poo poo the Build Burning's appearance looked insanely cool.

And we already have an interesting question: Just what is so important about the Build Burning that Sei would hide it inside a Gunpla, then hide that Gunpla inside a trophy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, the opening was so packed I'm basically watching it frame by frame. Interesting things I've noticed:
-As shown before, Sekai's master, gender-bent Domon.
-This guy. Possible rival for Yuuma? Doesn't seem to be the same guy that wrecked him at the start of the episode.
-Team "we all use customized versions of the same suit", but we already knew about them.
-Gyanko (who does use a Gyan, what the hell is wrong with you Yuuma?)
-This guy, who uses a (lightly-customized?) Destiny Gundam. Possible rival for Sekai, no doubt. Even uses the Shining Finger!
-Whoever the hell that woman with the weird glasses is, she's definitely connected to a returning character - Meijin's back. His Gunpla's shown behind him, but I can't make out what it's meant to be.
-Mysterious adult duo. The guy in the right looks too much like Gendo to trust him, and the one on the left is rocking one hell of a ponytail. Likely evil.
-Another rival team in the ending, using a transforming MS (Yuuma's opponent), a pink/lavender Gundam (Fumina's, designated girl fight) and a blue MS with a gigantic cannon (Sekai's, only one we get to see the face of). I'm bad at recognising units, someone better than me might want to point out what they are, although the pink one looks like a Victory Gundam (with the Sword Strike's...err...sword).
-Finally, Sekai preparing for a Big Bang Punch or something. Combines his Gunpla with a gigantic hand which I'm pretty sure, despite people arguing otherwise before in the thread, that it is the Winning Gundam.
Also, it seems to suggest (alongside the ending) that Fumina's not dropping the Powered GM Cardigan so soon, considering how it shows her with it at first and only later with the Winning Gundam. I expected her to drop it as soon as the team was formed, if that.

...I admit, I did all of this only as an excuse to keep listening to the opening because it is really good.

About the episode itself...can't say I care much about Yuuma, but he works well as the serious dude to put in awkward situations by Sekai and Fumina so it's fine. Sekai keeps being cool, and Fumina's awesome. Mantis bastard got what was coming to him. I don't know what more to say, it was a good episode, probably not as good as the previous one but still very much enjoyable. Looking forward to the next, when Best Character's sister (Try's possible Best Character) will finally appear.

Also I really don't get the complaints about Fumina, she only needed to get rescued because of blatant cheating. Had Mantis Man played by the rules, he clearly would've gotten his rear end handed to him. And if the situation would have had Yuuma or Sekai in Fumina's place...okay, Sekai would've likely broken out through sheer force of will, but Yuuma would have needed help too.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 15, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyronic posted:

Unless you A) Ride in on a horse

B) are cosplaying as Ramba Ral

C) have a mysterious past and intend to antagonize a few small children.

Fixed that for you.

Also I think the illegal thing wasn't because of the Agrissa's power, but merely because the MS MantisMan was using was the Enact. Adding a completely separate Mobile Armour, fusion ability or not, to the field is basically adding a fourth player to his team. At least, that's how I saw it.

Then again, considering one of his teammates got killed without doing anything and the other betrayed him, plus he was really overpowered...maybe he did need the help.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What surprises me is how destructive Sekai's moves get, to the point of creating a goddamn hurricane centered on him.

His moves were not made for Gunpla, they were made for humans. Just how drat strong is the Jigen Haoh style? If it can cause even a bit of the destruction it does when it's used by a human...then Sekai's even more G Gundam than I gave him credit for, and I thought he was really G Gundam. Which is a good thing, G Gundam is great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I guess this episode confirms what the trailers suggested. GBFT is a love comedy.

The whole Sakai vs Sekai (that'll get confusing) battle was awesome and I love how someone finally pointed out that Sekai ignores his Gunpla entirely in favour of his own moves. And then the battle just got really loving great and holy poo poo I loved every second.

Now I'm trying to find more info about the Musha Godmaru and failing, why the hell does the Gundam wiki not have a page about it?!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Koopa Kid posted:

My thought on that one was that those guys had an awful lot of setup just to be some pre-opening punch line.

Like, would that joke have been less funny if we'd never seen that team before it cuts to them in their swim suits in this episode? Probably not. Maybe it would have actually been funnier that way.

I disagree. The joke was funny entirely because it was set up properly, we were shown Team Free and their superiority in water combat, with both the viewers and a character (I think it was Yuuma?) actually asking what they'd do if there wasn't any water. In most cases, one'd expect this situation to just not appear, or them to show some kind of secret skill for that situation.

Instead, GBFT went with the logical approach to it by showing them being completely useless and finally just self-destructing. Again, this'd be a lot less funny if it wasn't set up this well.

Also the entirety of Simon vs Sekai was neat except the end. I wanted Simon to win, and his loss felt a bit forced, though apart from that the fight was really good. I actually liked how Simon's teammates just self-destructed through ringout to take Yuuma and Fumina out, since it was clear they were totally useless. That way they at least helped. Hopefully, we'll see Simon again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder if Fumina will ever update her GP Base. I mean, look at this.

For a moment it made me believe she'd return to the Powerd GM Cardigun [sic] for this fight.

That nitpick aside, really good episode. Battle was great and the docking was unexpected and wonderful. Yuuma vs Mega-Shiki was the best part of the episode though, with Yuuma finally doing something cool and making his existance in the series worth something. Hopefully he'll continue this way. Also good: The Mega-Shiki user pointing out he's going against how Gunpla should be by using someone else's.

Sekai taking damage from the Build Burning's super mode should prove to be an interesting plot point. Hopefully.

Main complaint: Fumina basically did nothing. Yuuma got an epic fight and so did Sekai, she...got a few lines then got totally destroyed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Nielsen Lab" sounds promising. Not only because Nils might come back, but also because it may explain the changes between both series. And even if that doesn't happen, look who's in charge of mecha, I can't ever say no to Obari.

"Beyond the Knuckle" sounds like an actual growth episode for Sekai, which is badly needed. I seriously, seriously hope I'm right here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only lame thing about this is that we're not getting a Losing Gundam after all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wouldn't mind a series with three times the Meijin, really.

I mean look at this, he appears and tells Yuuma exactly what we're all thinking and we're all super excited for his Jesus-like entrance. And his female counterpart finally tells Fumina to stop being a walking power up and fight for her goddamn self. And he's still full of hammy and awesome lines. "Let's play. Seriously, from the bottom of our hearts" is a great line that reminds us of "it's because it's a game that they can take it seriously" from the previous GBF, a super important concept this series hasn't shown all too well and Yuuma apparently never learned.

He also answers questions three times as fast. And has a badass red motorcycle. And wears sunglasses under his helmet.

Basically Meijin is the best, is what I'm trying to say.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish I could just be disgusted at that, but Mr. Ral's making me laugh too hard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bE4GTn4eU

New single preview for BFTs next ending, premiering in the next episode apparently.

From the video alone, I'm really enjoying this new ending. Hopefully the opening will match or exceed it. I quite like Cerulean, but it isn't as good as Nibun no Ichi, so I hope it's more to that level.

In short, BURN, GUNPLA SONGS!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

I love, love, love that even Yuuki is utterly flummoxed by the Tryon 3.

Dare I say...Gunpla is...FREEDOM!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now I kinda want to see their fight against Team Try Fighters go down the toilet because Yuuma totally would snipe one of them mid-transformation.

He'd go for Minato's part, just for added insult.

Everyone, including his own teammate Sekai, would boo him for being unsportsmanlike and just a jerk. Meijin would feel completely disappointed that he didn't learn the lesson that Gunpla is meant to be fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TARDISman posted:

For whatever reason wires got crossed in my brain and I associated Hayato with Ken from Mazinkaiser SKL.

Which is weird, because Ryo is the Hayato clone in that duo. Ken is very much Ryoma.

It's why I like SKL despite being a mess, it's literally what would happen if we gave the Getter pilots a Mazinger. And excluded Musashi/Benkei entirely.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wish this series was more consistent. Sekai vs Evil Sekai was a horrible fight between two insanely boring characters won by a stupid deus ex machina, and wasn't even pleasing to the eye.

This? This was beautiful in every level and more. It was intense, exciting, actually well-choreographed, showed perfectly the strengths of both sides, and had two actually likable characters fighting, you could easily root for both. Only you could far more easily root for Sakai, but anyways, Yuuma's grown a lot and I really like him now. It was also really, really nice-looking.

I thought I'd get annoyed with how it had to end, but actually I thought Yuuma did deserve that win, though it really could've gone either way, despite how I definitely wanted Sakai to win. There was no deus ex machina cloning super ultimate move of doom here, it was a pure clash of souls and beams.

Easily the best episode in a long while, perhaps the best episode of this usually underwhelming sequel. It can only go downhill from here.

Also have my vote for the Sakai series ft. Meijin, I'd watch the hell out of that. Have Yuuma appear as a rival, his existance clearly helps Sakai a lot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tryon-3 is the most wonderful thing and if I didn't know I'd gently caress up making it because I'm bad with my hands so plastic models are definitely not for me (plus I have no idea what insanity I'd have to get through to get it to Argentina) I'd totally get it.

I sure hope we'll get it back on screen somehow. Like the last battle of the original series, but this time with more Tryon-3. Lots more Tryon-3.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's a cool theme for the coolest Gunpla.

...This really should be Tryon-3: The Series, instead of JIGEN HAOH RYUUU the series. The more time passes, the more I'm sure of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is truly the ending that Gundam Build Fighters Tryon-3 deserves. Just...not Gundam Build Fighters Try. This episode was far better than most of the series, and honestly I'm sad that we didn't get more of this.

That said, it also felt like the entire series. I cared and enjoyed a lot when Sekai wasn't around and it was Yuuma and Minato's time in the spotlight with their Gunpla competition, adding Meijin's extreme ham to it. The whole thing with Gyanko, Shimon and their little brothers was really cute too. And then the fight and it's just wonderful...and Sekai appears and I immediatly stop caring. OH HEY SUPER COOL NEW GUNPLA AND EVERYONE CRUSHES ON ME WOW. gently caress you, Sekai.

AND THEN MEIJIN VS RAL and it starts being insanely awesome again. And we even get a Yuuma/Mirai moment, something that I honestly thought the writers had forgotten about entirely. And, going back to how this series usually is, a completely forced team moment.

That said, I don't think Build Fighters Try was bad. It was just not as good as it should have been, not as good as its predecessor, and definitely suffered from a horrible main character and underdeveloped rivals. At least I can remember Yuuma and Fumina as cool characters. I'm looking forward to the OVAs.

Oh and Domon was completely underused. What a waste.

• Locked thread