Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
The club president should stick with the Powered GM Cardigan. I like the concept of a jacked up GM, reminds of the thunderbolt interpretation a little bit.

I rue the day when she has to swap to that "Winning Gundam" SD monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

MechaCrash posted:

The issue I had with the Powered GM Cardigan is that the Powered GM is basically a test-bed, not meant for serious combat. All those externally mounted and thus very vulnerable boxes mounted on it contain control systems and poo poo, things that would be internally mounted and protected with armor on a production suit. The Powered GM was basically "hey let's find out how a suit with these abilities would handle, and do it by stapling poo poo to a GM because it's faster and cheaper than doing it right (especially since 'is it worth the expense of doing it right' is part of what we're trying to learn)."

Fortunately, it is being deployed as a 1/144 toy in a magic hologram game.

Plus, I like the whole shoulder-mounted swivel case for the beam saber. That's neat.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

I finally watched this episode last night.

All I can say is: Gyanko stole my heart. The GUNPLA SPIRIT burns strong within her.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

sunburnedcrow posted:

Found this on 4chan, Gyanko is truly the best.

Christ, I am so hungry right now.

For Gyanko. She is the most delicious.

I saw some pictures of the new HG 1/144 Mega Shiki on Gundamguy, and I can't wait to see it in action. Looks sexy in blue.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

The Byarlant Custom was in this episode, but it exploded really violently. That really ruffled my feathers.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

The Mega Shiki was kind of cool, but the "Ima snipe you from our spawn with a mega rider lazer strapped to my back" scene was truly awful. There wasn't even any bracketing involved. I realized it was all done for the sake of plot and it would be obvious what Gyanko's fate would be, still - the whole thing felt really rushed.

Sleggar MK II's Kung Fu Core Fighter is an abomination and I can't wait for him to kamikaze it.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Gyanko's resolute and blushing smile is a miracle of the universe.

Also, Sleggar MKII's got a beastly bitch slapping arm on him, nice.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Everyone's Gunpla is proper hosed though.

Yuuma's going to have a busy weekend ahead...

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Koopa Kid posted:

I honestly hope no one ends up with anyone as the relationship dynamics in this season are just awkward bordering on creepy. The China/Sei and Aida/Reiji dynamics in S1 were easier to handle because the children involved weren't so overtly sexualized and actually took the time to get to know each other.

I think the whole Gyanko crushing on Sekai thing is quite cute and sweet.

Why does everything have to be discussed as a matter of oversexualization? This is a show targeted at kids after all.

How they see things isn't how most of the commenters on this thread see it.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Booourns posted:

I love how a guy who knows martial art is using a machine called the G-Fighter.

I know we were supposed to be impressed by Sekai's Super Saiyan fuckoff mode or whatever, but all through that episode I was thinking, "Holy poo poo, how many missiles can the G-Fighter actually hold?".

Swear the guy never ran out of missiles.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All of them are like that. The Zaku Amazing's launchers clearly hold only five missiles apiece, but they've launched a buttload more than that in fights.

I have a new strategy for my Build Fighters team.

3 Zssas.

Literally cannot be be beat.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The impressive thing is that a goddamn Jet was designed to be basically as effective as any full-fledged Gundams. I hope we see someone piloting a Saberfish at some point. A crazy tricked-out godlike Saberfish.

The last time we saw those were in Unicorn's Torrington base right? Poor bastards couldn't even get off the goddamned runway.

Ka0 posted:

Welcome to the (hopefully brief) tumblr age.

We can only hope.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

I thought that this episode was the weaker of the recent ones.

Saga's mobile suit looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, which would be insulting to a 5 year old. It's so overbearingly strong that there's really nothing of substance there to be impressed by. The encounter with the two random douchebags seems like the show was exhaustingly going through the motions of "underdog new team meeting veteran competitors to outline a difference in strength" sort of thing, and I suppose that is acceptable and predictable, given the tournament-style nature of the narrative. What the douchebag team had going for them were some sexy Zakus, which I really liked - and I wish more teams that weren't random episode fodder had a proper thematic approach like that.

The focus should be on strong teams with actual teamwork that demonstrates good synergy. That's the thematic presence of this show, and I think that the best (and probably only real) display of that has been the EZ-8SR trio. Every other fight seems to be a duel disguised as a team engagement, "Yeah I have team members but they are actually kind of poo poo, and I'm way better than everyone else, so let's have one mech which is clearly stronger and better handled than the rest".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

My thoughts on Build Fighters TRY: It was completely whelming. It wasn't memorable enough compared to the first season, but it wasn't bad enough for me to completely drop it. The series is the definition of a basic show that serves as a glass of plain water in room temperature. The entertainment I got out from it was enough to keep me alive, but it was never exciting enough for me to actually care. I think I miss the plethora of cameos and callbacks from the first season the most, but they do get credit for mixing up the combat format (even if it was criminally underutilized in much of the season).

Even though this season's theme was TEAMWORK, I felt that the chemistry between Reiji and Sei was far superior than the entirety of the TRY Fighters team members. I guess it also doesn't help that I was getting kind of tired with the Gundam Kung Fu/Karate poo poo after the Build Knuckle being overused in the first season. Another issue I had was with the fight direction, as the first season had more fights that seemed to be a lot more intense and personal (due to the 1v1 format). The only fight that stood out to me in TRY was the three Ez-8SRs, which was a well-done fight (but way too short-lived). Definitely did not like the three-SD combiner into a lovely looking dragon and the Voltron ZZ mod.

I heard OVAs for BF TRY was in the works, so I guess the ride isn't quite over yet.

• Locked thread