Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Did you just turn off prisoner intake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Set to "fill to capacity"

I expected a couple of cells to be rendered unusable due to tunnels, but the vast majority were fine. It just wasn't bringing any in.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

dogstile posted:

Did they add an anti idle thing? I saved my prison, left it on for the night. When I came back I had no prisoners, cells were (mostly) available and the staff were all still alive, but it wasn't trying to fill.

Fun fact, don't leave the game paused, leave it in the menu. If you just leave it paused random events will trigger and unpause the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I turn random events off, most of them seem really unfun.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Their Scanner Something game took a nose dive so they've returned to PA with a new update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FmOacal6Q

Adds more complex staff needs, staff can strike

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 23, 2017

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I didn't even realize that SS was out, that probably has something to do with it. But it's on sale now and the steam reviews are good so I'm getting it now. +1 sale!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Chris and Mark put out a Scanner Sombre video talking about (and showing) the VR version. They also discuss how Scanner was pretty much a failure of a game, but it didn't set them back as a company as much as it would have before PA. They talk about some of the same stuff in the PA video, but it's still worth a look if you like listening to Chris and Mark talking about their games (I do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4a7K-I-F5s

Chris: "We made a huge number of people aware that they didn't want to buy the game."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beats for junkies posted:

Chris and Mark put out a Scanner Sombre video talking about (and showing) the VR version. They also discuss how Scanner was pretty much a failure of a game, but it didn't set them back as a company as much as it would have before PA. They talk about some of the same stuff in the PA video, but it's still worth a look if you like listening to Chris and Mark talking about their games (I do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4a7K-I-F5s

Chris: "We made a huge number of people aware that they didn't want to buy the game."

It looks like a cool idea for a VR game. VR graphics are a bit odd anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hezzy posted:

Their Scanner Something game took a nose dive so they've returned to PA with a new update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FmOacal6Q

Adds more complex staff needs, staff can strike

I love this. :allears:

I can't wait for it to get into the game so I can really upset my staff.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's in the game. You just have to switch to the beta branch in Steam.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love this. :allears:

I can't wait for it to get into the game so I can really upset my staff.

Wonder if you can sic the riot police on them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Not only does the beta add striking and wage adjustment, it fixes the staff canteens not working properly. Now they're connected to a kitchen for tray-clearing and -filling. Also (not sure if it's new for this update or not), you can stick a serving table in a staff room rather than having to build a bunch of staff canteens all over your prison, and people eat in their offices!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks like a cool idea for a VR game. VR graphics are a bit odd anyway.

It does look like a cool idea for a VR game but the constant teleportation drives me insane.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I find it hard to believe they really thought Scanner Sombre, a game that looks like a gimmicky VR title without any VR support, would sell that well. Especially compared to the bomb defusal game they showed, that looked great.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you like a bit of uneasy spookiness in your walking simulator then Scanner Sombre is a drat fine purchase. I'm seeing why it's so well reviewed now.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

I find it hard to believe they really thought Scanner Sombre, a game that looks like a gimmicky VR title without any VR support, would sell that well. Especially compared to the bomb defusal game they showed, that looked great.

I thought theproblem with the bomb difusal game was that "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes" already exists, supports VR and is great?

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 25, 2017

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

blunt posted:

I thought theproblem with the bomb difusal game was that "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes" already exists, supports VR and is great?

Yeah, it was fairly similar. It seemed more like a puzzle game, a bit like the car building part of My Summer Car or something.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It doesn't seem like they spent a huge amount of time on it, although they let PA rest for a while it (and have now had another poke at it, obviously) and seem to be starting something new this week.

I like the way they try out things like Subversion and sometimes it doesn't work out but go, "well, we still learned something". They've had a few close scrapes, though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Yeah, it was fairly similar. It seemed more like a puzzle game, a bit like the car building part of My Summer Car or something.

It did look more like a wire puzzle game and less of a zany streamerbait party game a la Keep Talking

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Praseodymi posted:

The tech demo of the bomb game is in the scanner sombre game folder.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

The tech demo of the bomb game is in the scanner sombre game folder.

Huh, might have to get it now, just to see which is better when you actually play them.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Praseodymi posted:

Huh, might have to get it now, just to see which is better when you actually play them.

It's the bomb game hands down.

For when you get stuck on the subway bomb cut off the dudes thumb

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can i edit my save to delete all mail bags somehow? For some reason my prison is drowning in mailbags to the point where there's no room to import food no matter how many mail rooms i make.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reminds me of when the goon succession prison drowned in concrete and girders :allears:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dongattack posted:

Can i edit my save to delete all mail bags somehow? For some reason my prison is drowning in mailbags to the point where there's no room to import food no matter how many mail rooms i make.

These directions can probably do it.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Got this game on sale and its fairly straight forward as ive played alot of rimworld but i feel like its kind of incomplete. Prisoner tracking is such a hassle. Are there any good mods for tracking prisoners?? I mean when you have 20 coming in at once its sooo tedious to look them over to see if they are snitches.

Also is there a mod for individualized regimens? Like i just want one guy in lockup all the time but not the whole pop.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If you research surveillance you'll get an intel overview which will list mods for people as you discover them, including snitch. Also if you have your lawyer research permanent punishments you can drop whoever you want in lockdown forever

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
You could put that prisoner into Protected Custody, and adjust his regime that way. A prisoner will only be PC if you set them as such, they'll never be put in a yellow shirt from punishments (I think murder makes a prisoner max-sec by default, but you can change that if you want).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also if you pull an informant into the security office, you can see a big red crosshair over any snitches/ex-cops that they know about, which makes them a lot easier to spot than trying to read everyone's traits.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
There is a snitch sorter Mod you can get as well which will automatically put snitches and cops into PC

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is no way to set an area to allow two classes of prisoner, right? Like you can't have for example one library set to allow both Min and PC, and another one set to allow both med and max?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not directly, but you can set two hallway entries to it and set one to Min only, one to PC only, and the library to shared.

Definitely one of the more aggravating aspects to the game.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Slickdrac posted:

Not directly, but you can set two hallway entries to it and set one to Min only, one to PC only, and the library to shared.

Definitely one of the more aggravating aspects to the game.

Agreed. It's silly you can't say Min and Med but not Max. Or Max and Med but not Min. I use the hallway method too, but if the hallway's important enough you can always create little "airlocks" of Min/Med/Max only right outside the room so everyone else can move down the corridor.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My area's are the same thing, just use regular doors and put min/med sections before the rooms. Running a split prison usually requires you to split your prison into several big areas though.

This is an early version of a prison i've got running (The other side of the road is now in use with max sec and more PC, going to phase out the little PC area i have on the left).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947492191

Multiple areas for gang control, I was hoping my max sec would get me some gang leaders in at some point, then I was going to assign one gang per zone. At some point I was going to have people in max get put in min sec for various crimes and people in min and med get put up a level for other crimes, but that's a while off yet. I just want a really fun prison to watch.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 7, 2017

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Keep in mind that gang members won't work any jobs (entitled bastards), so if part of watching your prison run is seeing them at the different areas, you'll be getting used to the "freefire purge" before too long...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's fine, i've got a second backup save for when that happens. Also i'm fairly sure the gang members won't hurt my bed production.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Anyone ever found a way to increase the rate of trucks/buses arriving? All I can find is stuff about how to avoid large queues, but with 1200 prisoners, my limit has been how slowly the trucks trickle in to drop off food. I thought that multi lane road use mod would help, but trucks are still coming at the same rate, just spread across 2 lanes now.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Any ideas about how I can make my staff smarter about taking breaks and getting food?

I have several staff rooms spread around the prison, all served by kitchens and with stacks of staff meals available, plus even a staff canteen.

But for some reason my guards seem to prefer standing around in the security room or reception, just being pissed off. I tried turning my security room into a staff room but that made them just flee into the armory. I have plenty of guards so they could just go to a nearby staff room to rest, but they don't. Well, not as much as they should or could anyway.

And when they do take a break, for some reason they seem to like getting food from god knows where to then run all the way to the other side of the prison and eat their meal just about anywhere I put a chair.

Why don't they just go to the nearest staff room instead of wasting their breaks on running around to the most inconvenient locations imaginable?

edit: never mind, found a solution! All it took was increasing the percentage of staff that was allowed to take a break, which defaults to 10%. I changed it to 25% and within about a day my staff morale has now increased to 100% (from about 40%), only 10 of them are exhausted instead of 60, and the 'free guards' counter in the top has even gone from 15 to 30 on average.

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 5, 2017

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
So hey the PA artist made a game about a different/similar type of prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it says early access. how complete is it?

• Locked thread