Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Opt out of the beta, so that we're all playing the 'live' version.

Nettle Soup posted:

Depending on how it goes, maybe you should have a rule about not bulldozing what others have put in unless it goes on fire or something. It's too easy to just wall off, knock everything down and start again. It would also be interesting with the ruined buildings option.

Yeah I was thinking something like that. Undoing another's work is a bit of a dick move, but repurposing buildings after they've been around a while (even just a few days) is gonna be necessary. I think we'll just play it by ear to begin with.

I'll be online again in about 18 hours so if the starter prison is ready and the goon after me is available, go for it and I'll take the shift after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

jerkstoresup posted:

Sounds good to me, will start in about an hour. I can stream if anyone wants, but I doubt it will be interesting, and I'll ignore chat advice. Otherwise I'll just take a few progress screenshots.

Beta opt-in on or off?

I wouldn't mind watching, and I promise I won't offer any helpful advice!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
https://www.twitch.tv/jerkstoresup

will start with a campaign to give people time to join, and familiarize myself with working prisons again.

e: Done. Writing up progress post now.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 3, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You guys are gonna love it. :allears:

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
So my very first prison is your future nightmare! Here's the land before my awful hands start on it:

Tiny little lake on the left, little barren building. Doesn't look too crazy to me. Here's my planned layout:

Most of the first 2 grant-required rooms laid out. Staff rooms to the bottom right, utilities in the top middle, prisoner stuff on the left. Easy! I didn't take any building progress pictures, just the end result:

Actually got everything I wanted to do done under budget and ahead of schedule. The accountant research is still a few hours off, but I stopped short of 2AM. I think the fence holding the yard inside is going to have to go... but I'll leave it to you guys if you're serious about not bulldozing anything previously made. I doubt I would've gotten cells done within the first day, so I'll leave that to you.

edit: Forgot to hire cooks. :burger:

Let me know how much it sucks. :grin:

Dropbox link: Goon Prison.zip. Godspeed.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 3, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Superb. That's a cute little prison. Looking forward to getting my hands on it later

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

If I put all my snitches together in protective custody, will they murder each other? Not that they tend to live long enough for me to actually single them out at the moment...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nettle Soup posted:

If I put all my snitches together in protective custody, will they murder each other? Not that they tend to live long enough for me to actually single them out at the moment...

no, snitches, ex-law, etc do not target one another.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah if you want to keep them alive you pretty much need to check every group of prisoners as soon as they arrive.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jerkstoresup posted:

Let me know how much it sucks. :grin:

Well it sucks now!

Nah, I managed to keep in a reasonable shape... but only after a struggle. I forgot how hard it is to keep things neat without the planning tools, so the offices are all over the place, and I got snitches on the first intake with only a holding cell to take them and no deployment. I was expecting no drama whatsoever for this early session so I started off writing up some roleplay, but then it was panic mode for at least a few hours.

I'm writing up what will hopefully be an amusing post but until then, the file for Goon Prison Day 4 (and 5) for our next architect wilderthanmild is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oO9drJ3exBR2txTWplMzNyRFk (I don't have a dropbox account)

Take it away, goons :clint:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ugh, pissing about with steam screenshots is a ball-ache. I think I'll just screenshot the interesting prisoners in future (there weren't really any this time around, except the guy who started practicing law at 18)

--------

Day 2

02:00 – Started my shift at the new prison, which turns out to be in bumfuck, nowhere. Why did I sign up to this again? Oh well, at least this new place has started out in a somewhat decent shape... guess the company found some talent down the back of the sofa. First inmates arrive in just a few hours and there's no hot water, no cleaning, and worst of all, no staff room - so I got work to do.

05:00 - New cell blocks are coming along nicely. Dorms and private cells. I've requested the full complement of inmates - lord knows we have enough frickin' showers for them all anyway. The place is basically a water park with a prison attached.

06:00 - Had a gem of an idea. Company policy might not allow architects to have their own office for whatever stupid reason, but they can't stop me putting a desk in the staff room and locking the door. Policy that, you fucks.

08:00 - The inmates have arrived. Let's see what gaggle of bastards we ha- wait TWO snitches?

gently caress's sake, all we have is a holding cell! The cell blocks aren't even ready yet! The new fence isn't even up! At this rate I'm gonna be fired before I've had breakfast. Some pencil-pushing pissant at HO is trying to stitch me up, I just know it.

10:00 - I told the guards to put the snitches in the half-finished cell block and lock them in but I just found out one of them has shat the bed already and put the fat gently caress in the block instead. Then left him there unattended while workers run a cable instead of drop everything and get that loving fence up before he does a runner (or a waddle, anyway). I have locked everyone in until this mess sorts itself out. Hopefully he doesn't trip and fall on a worker.

14:00 - EVERYTHING IS FINE. Fence up, blocks open, snitches safely stored away until I can get a dedicated block for them, and I even managed to get an office for the psychologist who's spent the entire morning wandering the corridors. Now I can focus on finishing up the dorms, getting some new offices ready and putting up a secondary fence.

Day 3

01:00 - After a stressful first day, I've spent the early hours putting up some 'solitary' units for our inmates to file past on their way about the prison. A useful reminder, I reckon, not to start any trouble. Lookin' at you, fatty.

05:00 - Went out for a smoke and thought dawn had broke, but nope, it was just what felt like fifty high-vis vests all loitering around the garbage area. I guess things were too busy yesterday for me to notice we had far too many workers on payroll. With the urgent construction out of the way and enough capacity for some time, I've sacked half of them. That should get the accountant off my back.

08:00 - Oh boy oh boy, what delights does Head Office have in store for me today. Two more fat fucks, one with an unknown reputation. Other than being a glutton that is. Better install some weights benches in the yard. And some guy getting a license to practice law at the advanced age of 18? Ok.

20:00 - The day has proceeded without incident. A common room is now open, new security is in place and cleaning is underway.

21:00 - Uggggh, jinxed it. A fight broke out in the canteen between Lingenfelder and Brindley.

With the paperwork for a medical ward on site still 5 hours away, this is gonna end up on my file. Those absolute bastards. I have called in paramedics, but not after letting them bleed a little. Then they can stay in the solitary pens overnight, that'll teach the fuckers.

Day 4

02:00 - Finally, my shift is over. I have left a post-it note on the desk for the next schmuck with some key advice. Let's see if this place survives to see my return in about 2 weeks! :byewhore:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This thread doesn't see much activity. You guys should put this in an LP thread so more people can see and enjoy it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If people think it's worth it yeah, I'll make a thread there. I've not done an LP before though and there sure does look to be a lot of rules in that forum, so I'll have to read up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The rules (for the LPers) mostly boil down to "Don't just dump half-fully finished stuff you've done on other websites/youtube", "don't be a pervert", "don't beg for money", and "put in some token effort". That last one is basic stuff like formatting pictures and crap, the post you made above clears this hurdle quite handily. Jerkstoresup's would be a bit bare for an LP update, so it really depends on if the rest of your participants are interested. It was just a suggestion (mostly because I found your post amusing), don't feel obligated.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 4, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The rules (for the LPers) mostly boil down to "Don't just dump half-fully finished stuff you've done on other websites/youtube", "don't be a pervert", "don't beg for money", and "put in some token effort" (basic stuff like formatting pictures and crap, the post you made above clears this hurdle quite handily)

i'm an LPer and i approved this message (and also the nascent LP above)

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Sorry I didn't put as much effort into the writeup, wasn't thinking LP quality.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Just popping in to confirm I am doing this. I might do it tonight, but more likely tomorrow and I'll try to post screenshots and a write up right afterwards. Probably no streaming, just because I don't have anything set to do that. If I do, I'll post in here ahead of time to give some warning.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jerkstoresup posted:

Sorry I didn't put as much effort into the writeup, wasn't thinking LP quality.

Oh don't worry about it, it wasn't expected, we just needed a starter prison. It would be bloody hard to effortpost the initial build anyway. I'm lucky I managed to make enough hay out of my session to write anything interesting at all.

Anyway, I'll cook up an LP OP, if people can offer thread title suggestions? (I'm coming up blank)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Title suggestion:
Everyone goes to Solitary: Let's play Prison Architect together

And yeah, "LP quality" mostly covers "is not a raving idiot about screenshots" and "vaguely documents the playing of some game", that's it.

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

Alternate title suggestion: Orange is the new Dwarf: Let's Play Prison Architect!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

^ I like that one

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

sstrickl posted:

Alternate title suggestion: Orange is the new Dwarf: Let's Play Prison Architect!

This is the best title.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've finished my turn! Things got interesting and there was riot! Write up in a couple hours.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Here is the prison as I received it. Immediately I notice a few things that grind my gears. First, no remote doors. Second, no laundry. Third, no security room. Finally, no surveillance cameras. I shall aim to fix these things. I start by starting research on remote access. I'll want to star installing remote doors asap. I love remote doors.

Here is my new dorm and laundry room in progress! I also upped the intake to 10 per day. At least temporarily to fill the new space! This surely won't backfire.

I had 2 guys get into a fight in the cafeteria in the evening.

Kori was still unconcious hours later, so I had to call the paramedics. 4 guys seemed a little much, but whatever.

Wiring for the new door and camera system as well as the new security office!

Violence is continuing to be a problem.

Yep a big problem. We have a :siren: RIOT :siren:

The cause? They really wanted to kill a snitch named Duncan Nash. Guess he shouldn't have ratted his partners out on... Criminal Damaging?

Another fight later in the afternoon!

I decided to stagger the eat and shower times to reduce traffic and crowding.
I've also added a phone tap to hopefully ID snitches and other security threats as well as adding more guards.

Things are getting worse! But it's not my problem now! Good luck to our next Warden: Dareon

:siren: Download Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3oVOHecs6g8SHNlcTNQdkg1ak0/view?usp=sharing

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, did you arm the groundskeepers during that riot? (at least it looks like they're carrying policy truncheons) You can down that now?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, did you arm the groundskeepers during that riot? (at least it looks like they're carrying policy truncheons) You can down that now?

Not that I know of? I don't see and tuncheons on the groundskeepers or the janitors. Maybe you're seeing the rakes/mops?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

wilderthanmild posted:

Not that I know of? I don't see and tuncheons on the groundskeepers or the janitors. Maybe you're seeing the rakes/mops?

Oh. :downs: I somehow completely mentally edited out the bottom of the broom/mop and saw them holding clubs like this: :toughguy:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh good, I was secretly hoping someone would get remote doors up soon, especially after I put up road gates. Which you have not connected :colbert:

Was it simply the presence of the snitch that triggered the riot? Or do snitches just get targeted after a riot begins?

Should be able to get that LP OP up tonight.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Riots seem to happen when the lawlessness in the immediate area oustrips the guard capacity able to stop and punish lawlessness. Its often an escalating thing because even before the riot starts and all prisoners go agro, there is an amount of "me tooing" when guards are busy with something and a prisoner hits a level of non-guardedness that makes them want to vent/shiv. So you can have a pretty peachy keen prisoner population who flips the gently caress out when a few snitches gets dropped off and they get offed one after the other and suddenly everybody is just beating everybody up even though they were pretty happy a minute ago. Or you can safely sequester snitches and kick off riots as pissed off prisoners all simultaneously smash their toilet and jump the guards coming to punish the vandalizers. Or what seemed to happen, where its something in the middle where guards busy with the snitch getting stabbed meant all the pissed off dudes were like whelp time to gently caress stuff up while their backs turned.

e. snitches are only less dangerous than epic prisoners because a rioting gen pop is generally pretty easy going compared to an epic prisoner on a march toward the door.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's interesting to watch how other people set up their prisons, as I'm now increasingly aware I very much have a system I follow that is much more bare bones and basic. I honestly think I've used remote doors maybe twice in prisons.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Same here, I have a 150~ prisoner max sec only prison going, and it's only just now, as I'm preparing to upgrade it to 200, that I've bothered setting up remote doors. I think that and cctv were the final things I researched.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh good, I was secretly hoping someone would get remote doors up soon, especially after I put up road gates. Which you have not connected :colbert:

Was it simply the presence of the snitch that triggered the riot? Or do snitches just get targeted after a riot begins?

Should be able to get that LP OP up tonight.

It's kind of both. Snitches being nearby can lead to a fight starting because someone attacks the snitch which raises the danger level of the prison which might cause other prisoners nearby to start acting out. Meanwhile if a riot is happening and prisoners have taken over blocks, some of them might decide to make a move on the PC section specifically to take out snitches/ex law enforcement. Usually it's more the former than the latter, since rioters don't start to organize unless there's a certain number of them within the same area AND they aren't just fighting each other.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do all of you typically set up your prison to filter out the security types? I have a low-sec and a mid-high section with a holding cell in between. I want to keep the low sec out of the high sec, but if I set the hallway to "__ only" then I have issues moving prisoners from the holding cell to their proper quarters

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This is how mine is set up now. Supermax and max are split via staff only sections, protected can get into the library but nowhere else, they don't have any reason to go into the long corridor but I thought maybe they'd need access to the parole rooms. If I change somebody designation then they're marked as being in the wrong place and guards just come and drag them bodily through the staff-only corridor around the edge to where they need to be.

Here's that prison, for curiosities sake, I needed to upload something for the achievement anyway. http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=836300168

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Okay, so you don't have any mixed-sec areas. I might just need to put up and make everyone above low sec the same if I want to section things the same.

I mostly had an issue with low-secs being assigned to laundry and deciding that they would go get a laundry basket from murder alley.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

wilderthanmild posted:

This is the best title.

It is. And the thread is live! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804329

I'm hoping it gets more traction in there than buried away in this thread.

I'll PM Dareon since we haven't heard from him.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can do mixed securities with the staff-only-condom hallways/doorways, the idea applies very generally. I usually mix low and mid into what I call in my head gen pop. Gen pop is, depending on intake settings, going to run 75+% and is the focus of your work and rehab program. High sec (and reassigned trouble makers from mid sec that have the worst trait combos) don't do any work more dangerous than their own laundry, with reform programs as they fit or are sharable by proximity and schedule concerns. Max sec are locked in effectively vaults and get to live in hotel suites until they go nuts and kick down a dozen doors and murder a dozen guards with a shiv. I tend to make a protected custody dorm to try and make use of the random nature of the headcount of protected folks at any moment, and will do their own laundry and janitorial work and maybe get some reform if I can arrange it in a safe way.

Gen pop, high, protected, and max then each have their own semi-self-sufficient blocks isolated by staff only condom hallways. And ironically enough, gen pop usually gets to make due with shared needs items while high, protected, and max get set ups approaching hotel rooms to keep the mingle time limited.

e. Low security is useful enough to keep as a separate designation but in a mixed security zone in order to ban most people from the janitor job by setting the janitors closet to low only. Only tears await letting random schmucks get access to bleach.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It is. And the thread is live! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804329

I'm hoping it gets more traction in there than buried away in this thread.

I'll PM Dareon since we haven't heard from him.

I'm on it, haven't had the computer much the past few days.

e: Play is done, now comes the hard part. My last LP died because the screenshot editing is something I do not relish. This should be easy enough, though.

e2: Update's ready.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 7, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are snipers unable to walk through areas that prisoners inhabit or something? my guard towers inside the prison beside yards aren't getting filled, but ones outside the prison are. one guard tower inside the prison gets filled, but the path to it goes through reception to security to a hallway to the tower, without passing any cell blocks or canteens or anything of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also: is there a way to easily connect a door control system to every servo on the map? because this is killing my wrists

• Locked thread