Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

uXs posted:

Bunk beds!!! Dormitories!!!

I really have to make a new prison in this new version, it's been way too long since I made one.

And who else noticed the '[baby] play' and '[baby] sleep' in the needs screen at the end of the video? Are they going to make bringing up babies in prison a thing? And does that point to having women prisoners too?

I like to imagine they're starting a new thing where they throw in some random 'hint' in the UI that means nothing, and then never talk about it, purely as an exercise in winding up the minutiae spergs who immediately go into analysis and speculation overdrive (like what is now happening on YouTube). And then next video it's gone and nobody explains anything

My best bet is it's some internal programming term though. I can't possibly imagine they'd put babies in the game, it's just too out there :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

FreudianSlippers posted:

He was probably doing that phone prank where you call two numbers and then place the phones on top of each other so the people can hear each other and start arguing about who called. Except at a much higher level than anyone has ever attempted before

A prank conference call

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

drat, that brings me back. We used to do that as stupid teenagers, our greatest conference prank phone call being when we called Domino's pizza and another local delivery place and managed to put them in a conference call together. Good thing we could put the phone on mute, we were dying of laughter as confusion and anger kept rising and rising when the two receptionist couldn't understand what was going on. They kept thinking that the person on the other end was completely insane and thought they had called the wrong pizza place.

One of the UK's radio stations did this, it was brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITgkQIp6ABM

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My best bet is it's some internal programming term though. I can't possibly imagine they'd put babies in the game, it's just too out there :psyduck:

I take it back :psyduck:

(Can't link to their YouTube update, am on phone)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Angela Christine posted:

For a while I kept seeing prisoners loitering in reception. Turns out reception apparently had the comfiest chairs in the place, so prisoners with a high comfort need would come and hang out during free time. Stupid chairs.

Make the reception staff only - prisoners should still get processed in there because they arrive in cuffs

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Applewhite posted:

Welp I just got fired. I wish it were because my prison were so easy to escape but actually it's because over forty people died including three squads of riot police. I guess they were really mad about those doors.

The temperature of your prison is like 8-10 in all your screenshots - looking at your rooms it's probably because the prisoners' needs are off the charts all the time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ninjewtsu posted:

So I loaded up a prison today, after a few days remembered that heat is a thing now, placed some radiators in the cell blocks, and I guess that's it? Is there anything else to this? It feels a little pointless

Do the radiators even eat up energy?

Not yet, but they hint at a lot of complexity to come in the update video.

It seems that before long you'll need to pipe cold water to a boiler, and then pipe that hot water to your showers, radiators and sinks. And they're gonna make hypothermia a thing. So it adds another layer with more points of failure, testing your resilience design and disaster management. I don't think it adds much in the way of interesting choices for the player though... it seems more like "here's a thing you gotta do, you can't really get away with not doing it".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I like that the heat bleeds so you can't just pump hot water all over the prison from a single pump. I didn't expect that and I think it really adds something to the design stage.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

super fart shooter posted:

I'm getting back into the game after a long time and I just had my first ever power station fire. Fortunately it was at night, but it was still a huge mess, and I've now installed sprinklers in the power room. But I'm realizing, if the sprinklers get water from a pump that is powered by the same power station they're sprinkling, doesn't that mean they'll just shut down the moment they're actually needed? If so, I guess I finally found a reason to build more than one water pump...

Yeah I had that issue as well. But I had two power stations so I hooked both up to the water pump with power switches to flick between the supplies... if one supply goes up in flames, I flick a switch to keep the pump running on the other circuit

I seem to recall there's another problem with installing sprinklers in power station rooms but I can't remember what it is

e: Speaking of switches and valves, does it bother anyone else that they're operated by you and not a staffmember? Too easy, take it back :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is there a practical use for pressure pads? I've seen gimmick uses for them (escape labyrinths) but I've struggled to think of a good reason to use them in a normal prison.

Also, what's the difference between a remote door and a normal door with a servo attached?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh man I love random events but the "here's more prisoners, dwi" event is a loving kick in the teeth. I was running a nice mininum security prison and then all of a sudden I had 25 MedSec fuckers dumped on me, and all of 40 mins to prepare. None of my systems can cope. My kitchen couldn't meet demand so minsec went hungry and started kicking off and disturbing all my nice reform programs, and the MedSec fuckers murdered someone on the first day, ruining my spotless record. Bastards.

I love this game but I hate it but I love it really

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've rather fond of my chapel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

blunt posted:

I really need to start building more non-rectangle rooms.

Now that you mention it that's my only non-rectangle room... but I do like all my other rectangles to be in nice configurations (I'm particularly pleased with my kitchen-canteen setup: )

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh my god they've finally fixed the sprite alignment issues with fridges, metal detectors etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D45ZJFHRaojs

("Content" starts about 16 minutes in)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hezzy posted:

Can someone just summarise what is said in this video as it's mainly just rambling poo poo

All I got was that they're going to release Prison Architect 2.0 within the next 4 to 5 months because they want to make PA a classic simulator that people will still play even 10 years down the line

I think that was basically it, yes. And this update was a massive bugfix. I'm kinda glad they're gonna do a series of bugfixes, hopefully a bunch of UI optimisations too. (Why doesn't the prison temperature open the needs screen when clicked :argh:)

I think if they really want this game to last, though, they're going to need to add a scenario editor. I'm pretty sure they said it was already possible with modding (even including your own cutscenes!) but hopefully they make it more accessible than that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

FreudianSlippers posted:

If that had happened I would've just spawned in another armed guard right on top of him.

Can you do that? I thought a freshly-spawned guard had to visit the armory to get tooled up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Of all these new improvements I think the one I'll appreciate the most is the "work / free time" "work / lockup" distinction

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yep that's right.

Also they've added a bunch of new random events, but not letting anyone know what they are...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I believe you can report content to the Devs and they'll remove anything offensive or inappropriate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought the bio there was a prison rape joke... now I see it's just MLP poo poo

It's always bothered me slightly (:spergin:) that the bios sometimes list crimes but the actual criminal past is just randomly generated. It's a shame that when they did the name-in-the-game thing, they didn't let people pick the crime history too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Snitches get stitches (on other people)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've found a great new way to enjoy this game.

No grants, no loans, and no trees on the map at start - just $30,000 to build a prison and a continuous fixed intake.

It feels completely different when money is so tight. I've become acutely aware of how expensive everything is, how little indoor space I can build, and how good dorms are. And my prison is a complete mess because I don't have money to make it pretty (and I didn't put much effort into planning)

I'm on day 12 of a run with an intake if 2 MedSec a day, and I think I'm doing well. Overcrowded yes, but no incidents yet, and I've managed to unlock parole (an essential source of income) and get a bare-bones workshop online with forestry to provide lumber. Unlocking stuff in bureaucracy is horribly expensive though, so I have to be sure it'll pay off - I can't just unlock poo poo willy-nilly like I used to.

It probably won't be long before I reach a 'steady state' situation with prisoners being released at the intake rate, so this feels like easy mode (though for the first few days it was very much panic stations). For my next run I'm going to see if I can cope with an intake of 4 a day

edit for pic:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 27, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lord Banana posted:

Is there a list of good mods for PA anywhere? The workshop is super bloated with prisons and graphical overhauls, it's hard to find the good mods that add rooms, reform programs, grants etc.

I've done a lot of searching and as far as I can tell, no. There's a dearth of meaningful mods and I'm not sure why, the game is popular enough so is modding just difficult?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sounds fun.

Most promising from that video is Chris mentioning that a few people in the company still want to work on the game, and I got the distinct impression that the staff needs mechanic is yet to be finished. So this game can still see new features, despite the fears of many.

I wonder if this staff needs mechanic opens the door to adjusting staff pay?

The cost of staff seems heavily front loaded (500 to hire, but 100 a day for guards) and I'd like to see that changed. At the moment, it feels like firing a guy costs 5 days worth of pay and it's better to keep him even he's not contributing much - just to keep him in reserve.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
In the absence of anything more fun to do, is anyone interested in doing rotating shifts on building/managing a prison with some tricky, failure-is-inevitable settings?

Basically a Boatmurdered but for PA (though I realise that it'll never be as entertaining)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

nielsm posted:

What would the rules for passing on the game be, every 10 or 20 days perhaps?

24 hour shifts :colbert: the more changeovers, the more chaos!

I'll give it a think and make some proposals, we can deliberate on what might work best.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Okay, here are my thoughts for a succession game.

I suggest we kick it off in January to get the holidays out of the way, pick up more volunteers (I hope!), and iron out the specifics of what we're going to do.

• All the complex settings to make things difficult: random events, weather, gangs, lakes etc.
  • No house rules otherwise - it's anything goes, except for one thing: no save-scumming. If you make a mistake, own it!
  • It will be a generally collaborative succession game, with a view to the long-term viability of the prison, *but* there will be a mini-competition between the architects to rake in as much profit during their shift as they can. So short-termism will be encouraged to amplify the prison's problems.
  • My inclination for the length of each shift is to go with 48 hours. That's enough time to start and finish projects of a moderate size, but not so long that any project can be finished (handing projects off to successors, especially big ones, will be a good source of chaos). 48 hours also makes it about an hour's play at normal speed, which I think is a good session. Rotations will keep coming around anyway if there are only a handful of architects involved.
  • The handover time should be around 2am, while the inmates are asleep, to give the new architect at least a few hours to get to grips with what he's inherited.
  • Architects should create a post about what they've done and what's happened in the prison, and supply plentiful screenshots of key events and achievements.
  • At the end of an architect's shift, screenshots of key screens are posted - Prisoners, Needs, Finance, Prison Grading - and uploads the savegame file somewhere (dropbox?)

I'm keen to hear ideas for house rules. Should intake be fixed? The fewer rules the better I reckon, but one I can think of that might be good is: no isolating gang leaders from their members :unsmigghh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Alright goons, let's get this succession game underway!

The architects are:
  • jerkstoresup
  • JeremoudCorbynejad
  • wilderthanmild
  • Dareon
  • nielsm
  • Spookydonut
  • Jamsque
  • Nettle Soup
We'll just cycle continuously and more posters can jump in as we go.

Who wants to kick things off with a starter prison? You'll have until 02:00 Day 2 to build something - so shortly before the first intake. Happy to do it myself, but I have a habit of being a paragon of efficiency and something messier would be better.

I suggest the following setup:

Failure Conditions is noticeably off because I think that will hamstring us a bit too much. We want the prison to fall all the way to the bottom, should things happen to turn sour.

Two house rules: no save-scumming, and I like Dareon's idea of a minimum intake of 4 per day (but you can set the security level, and take more if you want). Otherwise it's anything goes, you can be the optimal play architect, the architect with a silly agenda, whatever. Just try to avoid totally crippling the prison.

Would people prefer google drive or dropbox? It would be handy to have an archive of all past saves. I'll look into setting something up.

I'll be keeping tabs on each architects' profit (a simple end-of-shift funds minus start-of-shift funds). What people do with that info is up to them but hoping it brings out a competitive streak, despite the obvious flaws in that calculation as a useful comparative measure.

Oh one last thing: I think staff needs are currently under the beta opt-in, right? Everyone will need that, unless we agree to do without. - opt out of the beta.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 2, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Good points about the staff needs, I'll opt out of the beta then.

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't think I've really played enough to join in, but looking forward to seeing this. :)

How much have you played? I think as long as you know your way around the UI and have a passing familiarity with the basic systems you'll be perfectly qualified. Edit: in fact I reckon you should volunteer to give us our starter prison :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Opt out of the beta, so that we're all playing the 'live' version.

Nettle Soup posted:

Depending on how it goes, maybe you should have a rule about not bulldozing what others have put in unless it goes on fire or something. It's too easy to just wall off, knock everything down and start again. It would also be interesting with the ruined buildings option.

Yeah I was thinking something like that. Undoing another's work is a bit of a dick move, but repurposing buildings after they've been around a while (even just a few days) is gonna be necessary. I think we'll just play it by ear to begin with.

I'll be online again in about 18 hours so if the starter prison is ready and the goon after me is available, go for it and I'll take the shift after.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Superb. That's a cute little prison. Looking forward to getting my hands on it later

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jerkstoresup posted:

Let me know how much it sucks. :grin:

Well it sucks now!

Nah, I managed to keep in a reasonable shape... but only after a struggle. I forgot how hard it is to keep things neat without the planning tools, so the offices are all over the place, and I got snitches on the first intake with only a holding cell to take them and no deployment. I was expecting no drama whatsoever for this early session so I started off writing up some roleplay, but then it was panic mode for at least a few hours.

I'm writing up what will hopefully be an amusing post but until then, the file for Goon Prison Day 4 (and 5) for our next architect wilderthanmild is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0oO9drJ3exBR2txTWplMzNyRFk (I don't have a dropbox account)

Take it away, goons :clint:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ugh, pissing about with steam screenshots is a ball-ache. I think I'll just screenshot the interesting prisoners in future (there weren't really any this time around, except the guy who started practicing law at 18)

--------

Day 2

02:00 – Started my shift at the new prison, which turns out to be in bumfuck, nowhere. Why did I sign up to this again? Oh well, at least this new place has started out in a somewhat decent shape... guess the company found some talent down the back of the sofa. First inmates arrive in just a few hours and there's no hot water, no cleaning, and worst of all, no staff room - so I got work to do.

05:00 - New cell blocks are coming along nicely. Dorms and private cells. I've requested the full complement of inmates - lord knows we have enough frickin' showers for them all anyway. The place is basically a water park with a prison attached.

06:00 - Had a gem of an idea. Company policy might not allow architects to have their own office for whatever stupid reason, but they can't stop me putting a desk in the staff room and locking the door. Policy that, you fucks.

08:00 - The inmates have arrived. Let's see what gaggle of bastards we ha- wait TWO snitches?

gently caress's sake, all we have is a holding cell! The cell blocks aren't even ready yet! The new fence isn't even up! At this rate I'm gonna be fired before I've had breakfast. Some pencil-pushing pissant at HO is trying to stitch me up, I just know it.

10:00 - I told the guards to put the snitches in the half-finished cell block and lock them in but I just found out one of them has shat the bed already and put the fat gently caress in the block instead. Then left him there unattended while workers run a cable instead of drop everything and get that loving fence up before he does a runner (or a waddle, anyway). I have locked everyone in until this mess sorts itself out. Hopefully he doesn't trip and fall on a worker.

14:00 - EVERYTHING IS FINE. Fence up, blocks open, snitches safely stored away until I can get a dedicated block for them, and I even managed to get an office for the psychologist who's spent the entire morning wandering the corridors. Now I can focus on finishing up the dorms, getting some new offices ready and putting up a secondary fence.

Day 3

01:00 - After a stressful first day, I've spent the early hours putting up some 'solitary' units for our inmates to file past on their way about the prison. A useful reminder, I reckon, not to start any trouble. Lookin' at you, fatty.

05:00 - Went out for a smoke and thought dawn had broke, but nope, it was just what felt like fifty high-vis vests all loitering around the garbage area. I guess things were too busy yesterday for me to notice we had far too many workers on payroll. With the urgent construction out of the way and enough capacity for some time, I've sacked half of them. That should get the accountant off my back.

08:00 - Oh boy oh boy, what delights does Head Office have in store for me today. Two more fat fucks, one with an unknown reputation. Other than being a glutton that is. Better install some weights benches in the yard. And some guy getting a license to practice law at the advanced age of 18? Ok.

20:00 - The day has proceeded without incident. A common room is now open, new security is in place and cleaning is underway.

21:00 - Uggggh, jinxed it. A fight broke out in the canteen between Lingenfelder and Brindley.

With the paperwork for a medical ward on site still 5 hours away, this is gonna end up on my file. Those absolute bastards. I have called in paramedics, but not after letting them bleed a little. Then they can stay in the solitary pens overnight, that'll teach the fuckers.

Day 4

02:00 - Finally, my shift is over. I have left a post-it note on the desk for the next schmuck with some key advice. Let's see if this place survives to see my return in about 2 weeks! :byewhore:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 4, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If people think it's worth it yeah, I'll make a thread there. I've not done an LP before though and there sure does look to be a lot of rules in that forum, so I'll have to read up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

jerkstoresup posted:

Sorry I didn't put as much effort into the writeup, wasn't thinking LP quality.

Oh don't worry about it, it wasn't expected, we just needed a starter prison. It would be bloody hard to effortpost the initial build anyway. I'm lucky I managed to make enough hay out of my session to write anything interesting at all.

Anyway, I'll cook up an LP OP, if people can offer thread title suggestions? (I'm coming up blank)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh good, I was secretly hoping someone would get remote doors up soon, especially after I put up road gates. Which you have not connected :colbert:

Was it simply the presence of the snitch that triggered the riot? Or do snitches just get targeted after a riot begins?

Should be able to get that LP OP up tonight.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

wilderthanmild posted:

This is the best title.

It is. And the thread is live! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804329

I'm hoping it gets more traction in there than buried away in this thread.

I'll PM Dareon since we haven't heard from him.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Grapplejack posted:

I always disliked that the perimeter wall didn't half the contraband throw distance. You show me a dude who can toss a bottle of hooch 50 feet over a 12 foot tall wall, game!

They're using drones now http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39616399

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Odd that the IVSoftware youtube channel hasn't updated with this - that's how i get my PA news. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSjgy_v6oY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I wouldn't worry too much, I imagine the PC community is working on the steam workshop mod as we speak

• Locked thread