Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Does anyone know what exactly effects the environment need? I read that it only refers to whether the space is clean or dirty. But then in the wiki descriptions of one type of flooring it indicates it contributes to environment. Does flooring affect the prisoners, or is it just to satiate the player's need to decorate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Bates posted:

Also, my prisoners enrolled in reform programs keep making GBS threads all over the classrooms, the entire room is brown by the end of every class session. If I put toilets in the classroom will they use them?

I've seen them use toilets I put in the workshop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it possible to assign prisoners to particular cells? I'd probably want guys on permanent lockdown to have a shower and a TV to help keep their needs down. I guess I could just make anyone on permanent lockdown supermax, and give all the supermax guys bigger cells since they are the most likely to be locked down.

Or gently caress 'em and just use permanent solitary instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Since you are working for a for-profit prison company, it even makes some sense that you can sell off the assets of a successful project and get assigned to a bigger budget project.

If you really want to start small and work your way up on a single lot, the easiest way might be to make your initial prison not easily expandable. Just build what you need. Once you get a small stable collection of buildings producing a profit, fence it off and make a second larger compound (once you get offices built and an accountant you gain the ability to buy more land to grow your prison). Later you can convert the starter prison to a self-contained compound for your Protective Custody or Supermax prisoners who you don't want mixing with the general population just by changing the deployment settings.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wilderthanmild posted:

I am noticing two distinct problems with prisoner behavior. One is that I had guards letting prisoners outside the prison walls, causing escapes. This was because I had a perimeter area with an entrance outside the prison, but not into the prison. I assume they are going to pick up contraband in that area, but when they notice they are outside, they flee. I was really confused the first couple times the guard in the "airlock" opened both loving doors to let a prisoner basically just run away.

Second is that prisoners seem to break all rules if they are doing something involving library books. I tried to hold and execution and when I locked down, all the prisoners went to their cells, except the ones holding library books. The book holders just stopped in their tracks and did nothing. I had to manually assign them all to solitary to continue. In a similar manner, I've seen prisoners completely out of bounds and out of regime while they randomly do things like return library books or read.

Also, my death row is hilarious. Every cell is it's own little thunderdome every couple hours when the legendary prisoner inside decides it's time to fight the cadre of armed guards protecting the Death Row block.

Prisoners are allowed to go anywhere not designated "staff only" in the deployment menu. Just designate the outside patrol area staff only and they won't go there anymore. You can also use staff only corridors to keep prisoners in different areas from mixing. So you don't get dumb protective custody guys going to visit the max security library or whatever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RattiRatto posted:

What if i designate a buffer zone at the entrance as staff only? Will the inmates be able to pass by there when entering the prison for the first time?

Yeah. I designate the whole road area as staff only, and prisoners get hauled through just fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tater_salad posted:

cool I didn't even know staff only existed, I really wish this game had a tutorial that explained things a bit.
I tried watching the alpha videos but can't watch them with the little ones around because in the first 2 min of the one I watched dude is dropping f bombs.

I imagine they will do a proper tutorial eventually. Not much point in doing it too early when lots of things can still change.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaj posted:

Im having trouble with my guards not feeding prisoners stuck in lockdown as per their regime. For some reason they just arent giving them their little gruel bowls as usual and every one is starving. I have a spare kitchen for them and cooks but no canteen as these are all super max hitlers.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you need a canteen to have a serving table for the cooks to place the cooked food? If they have no serving tables to supply, then there is no reason for them to cook.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PantsFreeZone posted:

How the hell do you find Snitches before they get ganked? I only place them in PC AFTER they've been attempted murdered on because that's when I see their bio and rarely do they survive that first attempt.

I have 6 canteens. One for Max, Normal and Min + one as Shared and Death Row and PC. Each has 4 double jail doors to enter through plus 2 regular sized doors. I'll post a screen shot of my prison if it gives you a better idea, but they still clump up at the entrance when REGIME says Yard.

I don't use Yard in the regime at all, I use Free Time instead. Lots of guys still go to the yard, but some go the the chapel, common room, library, or even back to their cells depending on their needs and preferences. Since everyone isn't doing a zerg rush on the yard they don't really clump up anywhere. No one complains about not having a Yard block in the regime, so it seems fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PantsFreeZone posted:

That's a good idea. I usually do Shower>Freetime>Yard>EAT, with the Yard being directly outside the Canteen. Do you find that the prisoners have a problem Eating within the hour (do you double them up, maybe)?

I give them 2 hours and stick the hour of freetime after meals, so last few idiots who were running late can use the free hour to finish eating. They won't start eating during freetime, but if they have their plate they will keep eating during freetime. Hunger is too important and expensive to risk letting half eaten plates go to waste.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skinty McEdger posted:

So uh... I guess I didn't spot that I had an Extremely Deadly, Tough, Volatile, Ex Law in my med security.

He's a loose cannon, but he gets results.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jamsque posted:

The cell quality stuff is cool, the game now supports the whole range from US-style labour camps to Scandinavian crim hotels.

Still can't have Tent City though. Where you feed the prisoners swill and let them top up their hunger need at vending machines. I wonder if they are ever going to implement a store?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hmm, my legendary prisoner single punched a solitary door, withstood a shotgun blast to the face, killed another armed guard and stole his shotgun. He then fired repeatedly at the nearest prisoner. However, there were about 5 walls between him and his victim. A dog managed to maul him.

I have about 5 armed guards stationed there now, he keeps breaking out of his cell and surviving shotgun blasts.

It's time to go Dwarf Fortress on his rear end. Build a wall in front of his cell door. Even the mightiest prisoner can't punch through walls.

Alternately, something something lava.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PantsFreeZone posted:

C) Also, looks like your Yard is indoors. You need to make it surrounded by walls with doors, but not with a Foundation. You can Bulldoze inside the walls to fix this.

It would probably be cheaper to put a bit of fence around the outdoor area at the entrance to the building and make that the yard, then reszone the current indoor yard as a common room. Throw in a couple TVs and pool tables. If you have a psychiatrist add up to 20 chairs and you've got a great place for the AA rehab activity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

All you need is a toilet and a bench, but if you put other amenities in they can use them. I'd add at least a couple TVs to help keep them entertained. If they are staying in there overnight they can not sleep unless there are beds. Holding cells can also contain showers, pool tables and weight benches, but that's probably overkill unless you are using the holding cell as permanent quarters.

If you want to keep everyone calm you need a couple telephones, a couple weight benches, and a couple TVs even though those aren't required objects for any room. Put them in the common room or the yard.

I usually take "Yard" off the regime and replace it with free time. That way guys who have needs that can be met in the yard will go there, but it won't be as much of a zerg rush. Some guys will choose to go meet needs in the common room, their cell, or eventually rooms like the chapel or the library. A chapel is a good investment, lots of guys have a spirituality need and praying will help keep them calm. You can also schedule an outside priest to come in and run programs in the chapel, it is a really cheap reform program that always gets good attendance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Met posted:

Where do you keep your power and water generators? They're always closed off from the prison population because I just assumed they could cause some serious hell if they had access to it.

Lately I've been putting the water pump in a staff-only room right in the middle of the lot. That way there is no reason for large pipes to go anywhere near the edge of the map. So far the prisoners have never tried to break into the pump room, and if they did mess with it a temporary lack of water isn't that bad. You could build a new pump before anyone gets mad about the dirty dishes and stinky clothes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, you need staff only airlocks to keep people in their zones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dirk Pitt posted:

So I I have a mix of sizes and amenities of cells, prisoners will be irritable? I need to try this.

Prisoners in below average cells will be irritable. People who have broken the rules will be the ones in the below average cells. So you're taking people who already don't give a gently caress about your rules and making them even more dissatisfied. It's pretty great.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CapnAndy posted:

Don't you either have to put all your buildings on the edges of your walls (and then never expand outward) or double-wall it to prevent that, though? They can throw like six squares in.

Double wall isn't hard, because the inner wall can just be a cheap fence. I gradually fill in the space between the inner and outer wall with a giant C-shaped building that houses admin and program rooms. That leaves a good thick barrier between the outside and the nearest cell toilet to hamper tunnelers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

Also just make a common room and fill it with only chairs. I use a dinky little 3x4 as my Common Room with 9 chairs facing a tenth, where presumably the Psychologist sits when he's running the session.

If you're going to run AA at all you might as well get your money's worth and use a room that holds 20 chairs, because 20 is the maximum a session can hold. That way 80 prisoners a day can run through the program. Cheap as hell for the benefit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gamerofthegame posted:

Dormitories might, in fact, be overpowered why wouldn't I paint everything dorms

Hitting the humble 100 and nothing really seems to be amiss with hordes of dorms!

Dorms and holding cells don't meet the privacy need. That doesn't matter if most of the other needs are good. Maybe set your punishment policy to send people to solitary instead of lockdown? Dudes coming out of solitary never seem to have a privacy need.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nielsm posted:

Nobody has any business sitting in the reception. Tables are used for storing clean uniforms for new arrivals, so unless you're getting waves of 150 prisoners a day, a single table should be fine.

For a while I kept seeing prisoners loitering in reception. Turns out reception apparently had the comfiest chairs in the place, so prisoners with a high comfort need would come and hang out during free time. Stupid chairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beats for junkies posted:

Chris and Mark put out a Scanner Sombre video talking about (and showing) the VR version. They also discuss how Scanner was pretty much a failure of a game, but it didn't set them back as a company as much as it would have before PA. They talk about some of the same stuff in the PA video, but it's still worth a look if you like listening to Chris and Mark talking about their games (I do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4a7K-I-F5s

Chris: "We made a huge number of people aware that they didn't want to buy the game."

It looks like a cool idea for a VR game. VR graphics are a bit odd anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is no way to set an area to allow two classes of prisoner, right? Like you can't have for example one library set to allow both Min and PC, and another one set to allow both med and max?

• Locked thread