Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

a worthy uhh posted:

Reposting here since the old thread closed like 15 minutes after I posted it...

I think that with some tweaks, total isolation for PC/SuperMax is possible.

The kitchens heavily favor the closest canteen, but if you seriously overdo it, all the prisoners should get fed. This might be mitigated by segmented eat times in multiple canteens (reduce the number and split make PC/SM share canteens but never simultaneously).

The problem I hit first was that I wanted to use Yard time as a way to force the prisoners out of the cells for cleaning/laundry/whatever. I forgot that a Yard has to be 5x5 so that failed this round. Redesign can fix that though.

I'm going to retry this again with some learned lessons and I think I can come up with something solid.

Add a phone and tv to each cell. Except maybe the volatile prisoners, expect them to kick off regardless.

Brightman posted:

Mine is basically the same except for instances of violence they get at least 18 hours in solitary, 36 if it's an attack on a staff member, and for no reason at all luxuries get like 48 hours in the hole or more because it amuses me. Anyone who I notice overdose gets manually put in the hole for 24 hours to get through withdrawal.

You gotta be careful with overdose, if you queue up a cell search before they get treatment, the guard that puts them into the medical bed then takes them out of the medical bed to search them, at which point they run out of time and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Tenebrais posted:

Do bins actually do anything? My guards never seem to try to dispose of the contraband they find.

Contraband has gone back to disappearing after discovery.
Bins make it quicker for chefs/workers to dispose of things by creating a rubbish stack on the bin tile.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

amuayse posted:

Heh, I saw a thread on another forum where someone made a hellish gulag with one toilet, bed, and shower for the hundreds of prisoners and subsided solely on a diet of boiled cabbage. Somehow though, it was still profitable.
Reminded me of Dwarf Fortress a bit in that sense, although prisoners do not make artifacts sadly.

I saw a workshop prison where prisoners have to go through a maze to get to food/toilet/shower/bed before they run out of time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Unfortunately tunnels aren't random. One of the early videos showed their debug interface where it showed for every tile there is a direction that a tunnel will move from that square.
I imagine that gets recalculated to account for other tunnels so that tunnels are more like to join up, however if you're leaving gaps in your perimeter wall then they'll basically always end up tunneling through the gaps.

For now at least, I fully imagine once leaving a gap becomes a 'thing' (like people abusing workshops), Chris will gently caress it up.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Blackray Jack posted:

I give up trying to teach my loving morons how to use tasers. I tried everything to get them to class. I tried the back to back class scheduling someone suggested. I tried turning off all their patrols and sending them to the classroom manually so that they will literally have nothing better to do than to wait. They sit there with the chief and nothing happens other than an hour of 'preparing' from the chief and nothing at ALL happening. Does anyone know a surefire way to do this, or hell at this point I'm willing to cheat it in because gently caress this refusal to learn.

EDIT: Okay so apparently setting classes up back to back to back will make the chief actually teach rather than just 'prepare'. The downside to this is that since I've had to take all my guards off patrols, deaths are on a gigantic increase. This combined with a far from 100% success rate with classes means taser teaching will go VERY slow.

I've found that the first class of the day is bugged and doesn't work. So you'll always have like 10 guards without tasers unless you remove some desks

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Can you expand a bit more on how you fix that?

Yeah so what I found was that 10 guards show up before the first tazer class is scheduled. Soon as it hits the top of the hour they all just leave and the classroom sits empty.
The second class turns up before the class and does the class normally, as do any subsequent classes that day.
The 10 guards (10 is the max class size for tazers) who did the first class can't attend any others that day so eventually you'll end up with 10 who never earn tazer certification. The work around I've found until they fix the bug is to have a classroom with only a few desks so you reduce the guards who can't get the training. But keep in mind this might screw up your prisoner classes, and is something you need to do everytime you hire more guards.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nielsm posted:

Try cancelling the early class after getting the later one working. That should leave the only tazer class at the timeslot that works, and let everyone finish it. Just don't touch the automatic reschedule button, it will reset the tazer class to the broken timeslot.

Tried that, didn't work. First class of the day always fucks up.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cernunnos posted:

I think 1 in-game Day counts as a Year.

Used to be but they scaled it up a while ago.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Yes they are, and if you dont use them, your prison will burn down. If you use them you'll never see a fire.

I've literally never had a fire in any of my prisons and never placed sprinklers.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Use large pipes to 'collect' tunnels from areas and to direct them towards the holes. That way in theory you only need one hole in the wall and has the added benefit of letting you place dogs along that pipe route to get early detect of breakout attempts (though early may be a misnomer given how quickly they tunnel through large pipes, especially when there's multiple prisoners).

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you do two meals then do breakfast and lunch. Being well fed in the middle of the day is better.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nick Esasky posted:

one thing i do wish was possible is for rooms/areas to be accessable to more options than just one sec level/Everyone In The Prison. I wouldn't mind my low/med sec prisoners being able to mix in a Canteen/Workshop, but i don't want to be adding my Max/any SuperMax prisoners to the mix too.

Set it shared with the only ways in being short corridors/small rooms that are limited to the prisoners you want allowed in the kitchen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The (old) rule of thumb is/was one basket per cell block, plus one spare.

Workers will load/unload from the basket around each cell block, and load/unload the extra in the laundry. When they're full/empty they get moved around.

At least in theory.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Generally it changes depending on security rating. I remember it being something like 8 for high, 10 for med and 12 for low.

When it comes to laundry I think it would depend greatly on the shape of the block.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Michaellaneous posted:

Uplink is a very fun and competent game that you need to play a few times. It is on that illusive sweetspot of being fun and challenging. The hacking is obviously not that good, but good enough for what it does. It is more about aquiring money to buy better tools to do your job.

Not that the game tells you that. You are on a hard timelimit, and when the final "boss" appears, it all becomes very tense and cool. Yes, there is a story and a endboss. Very good storytelling as well; the story is okay.

The time limit only triggers once you go past a certain point in the storyline.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
They'd be entirely justified in removing modding from the game given what some people are making.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm fairly sure they could just start banning the creepy poo poo from the steam workshop, but they won't.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Asmodai_00 posted:

= Navigation improvements

Entities will no longer attempt to navigate through "Remote Doors" that don't have a powered Servo attached, as those doors cannot possibly be opened by anyone.
Entities will wait at a locked door for 30 seconds. They will then attempt to find an alternative route. This alternative route may well be longer, but will avoid the door they are stuck on.

Thank christ!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Deadly Hume posted:

Note to self: make sure two guards with tasers are present for any hearings.

Shotguns shoot to kill, either make parole or die.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What's the penalty for prisoner deaths? Too many and you lose and losing the no incident bonus? Does parole re-offending remove the no incident bonus?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It's the same problem with workshop classes and the foreman.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It feels sometimes that the other inmates discover that they're a snitch/etc at the same time you do, then it's a race against time.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Wire tidy mode sounds amazing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hahaha, sprites.

Edit: Wire tidying doesn't change anything with the game paused.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 27, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Who brings the food, cooks?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Angela Christine posted:

Since you are working for a for-profit prison company, it even makes some sense that you can sell off the assets of a successful project and get assigned to a bigger budget project.

If you really want to start small and work your way up on a single lot, the easiest way might be to make your initial prison not easily expandable. Just build what you need. Once you get a small stable collection of buildings producing a profit, fence it off and make a second larger compound (once you get offices built and an accountant you gain the ability to buy more land to grow your prison). Later you can convert the starter prison to a self-contained compound for your Protective Custody or Supermax prisoners who you don't want mixing with the general population just by changing the deployment settings.

Just don't forget to adjust the timescale parameter.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Design your powergrid to separate the power for each section, and add switches. Minimises problems.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
So the mail room is for incoming prisoner mail?

Does it satisfy family need?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The execution process is really cool.

In other news my mail room is slowly being filled with empty mail satchels.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I hadn't played for a few versions, it's become a lot easier to start from a small prison and expand out into a sprawling 200+ prisoner monster with enormous income.

I assume libraries are broken too? Once all the bookshelves are full the room just fills with boxes of unsorted books.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
On the starvation front, unless you set a prisoner to permanent punishment they won't get meals delivered to them.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BurntCornMuffin posted:

drat, and I was hoping I could arrange my 0 quality cells with a staff-only zone between them and the canteen and make guards deliver to them.

I discovered this with my protective custody prisoners in their sealed off section.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Gaj posted:

Ahh this may be the cause for my preview prison problems. Do meals only get to delivered to prisoners with this condition (player mandated isolation through perminant solitary, and thus prisoners in a 7 day lockdown gained through general mis behavior wont be fed?

Correct

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Had my first ever fire and half my prison lost water/power because it now destroys utilities.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I hate to ask how the fire started in the first place... only fires I ever witnessed were from people putting showers next to the kitchen.

^^^ Yeah apparently a prisoner started a fire, the first time I've ever had it happen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Adventures in leaving my prison running unattended overnight. (roughly 60 in-game days)

Must have been a riot in max sec, almost all of them are dead.

These two med sec prisoners must have been having sneaky meetings.

A few scattered dead med sec prisoners

Workshop is a mess, and random piles of number plates.

Big pile of saplings

Only one dead min-sec prisoner, he wasn't even a snitch.

Surprisingly only 1 escape, but having the extra 15-20 cells of exclusion around the prison really helps with that, as well as eliminating contraband being thrown in.

Feels like most of the (staff) entities just stopped working at some point.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

PantsFreeZone posted:

Nice. Do you find problems with single line paths? I always make the heavy paths 3 tiles wide and most others at least 2, because I notice that when prisoners are bunched up is when volatile guys kick off for no reason.

I could design a few things better, like the canteens. I should probably have multiple canteens for the max sec.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you get a single flag, manually move a dog handler to that spot, if they don't detect anything it was a false positive.

Also, during sleep if you search prisoners you suspect are tunneling and they're tunneling when they get searched the guard will discover that it's a dummy and the actual prisoner will pop up out of the tunnel where-ever they are at that moment and attempt to escape, but not necessarily at the extreme end of the tunnel. If the tunnels are connected with other tunneling prisoners they'll pop out too and all attempt escape.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Deadly Hume posted:

I've gotten back into the game after a few months and it seems like the prisoners are a lot more cunning with their tunnelling. I did the "don't route large water pipes through cellblocks" thing and that didn't hold them back at all.

I started blocking in the perimeter wall but only in stages, since doing the whole lot at once is exxy, so they just make a beeline for the edge.

In other matters, hopefully they fix the spam thing so it'll actually be worthwhile having a mailroom. (We might have to wait until their usual monthly update.)

It's kind of counter-intuitive but its better to run large pipes through cellblocks so they all tunnel to the same place. Then you usually just need a single dog patrol where it exits the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

super fart shooter posted:

Is protective custody still just a "seal them in a self-sufficient block behind a staff only airlock forever" kinda thing? I haven't played in awhile (since before they added logistics) and I just now found out that a kitchen can only serve one canteen, which means that I have to build a separate kitchen for my protective custody block. I was thinking about letting them into my main canteen during off hours, but then I remembered about how you couldn't ever let your protective and maxsec guys out or they would mix into the genpop areas and cause trouble, thus defeating the whole purpose. Did they ever really address this problem, because now that literacy and spirituality have been added to the list of needs, it's becoming more and more of a pain in the rear end to build those self-sufficient blocks...

I've taken to just sticking them spare cells in my small deathrow block and setting them to permanent lockdown.
Remember that the different levels of intake have different chances of getting a snitch/exlaw/etc, lowsec has highest, maxsec has practically none

Nalesh posted:

kitchens can give food to multiple canteens by shift clicking instead of clicking normally with the food distribution.

Also this is weird, I'm slowly losing money on my prison but looking at the finance tab I should be in the green.

Probably exports. It includes your income from exports yesterday but that doesn't count toward the incremental income.

• Locked thread