Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

I'm just getting back into this. How do you recruit informants? I can see the CI view under contraband but I'm not sure what to do next. It mentions having a prisoner under duress so I assume I need something to happen to the prisoner first?

If a prisoner gets sent for a long stint in solitary, especially if they also have drug or alcohol problems, or I think poor need satisfaction in general, they will show up under the CI view as being a potential informant. Click on them and in one of their tabs will be an option to recruit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It might be a false alarm. If there's a real tunnel there you'd typically expect to find more hits in that area.

Just in case: while the prisoners are sleeping, click one, then click 'search cell block', do this for all suspect cell blocks. Don't do a shakedown for tunnel-finding. If there's prisoners in the middle of building a tunnel when their cell is searched, they'll be discovered out of their cell. If you call a shakedown, they'll hear the shakedown alarm and come running back.

If you're still paranoid about tunnels, remove the toilets in the suspect cells and then rebuild them.

For just plain contraband sweeping, do a shakedown while the prisoners sleep. Try to make as much of the edges of your prison inaccessible as possible, and add lots of metal detectors and dogs at likely areas. I like to have metal detectors at the doors to sensitive areas as well as sort of scattered around at chokepoints, with dogs at chokepoints, around the perimeter, near the infirmary, and near visitation.

The less money you have, the more you have to rely on finding things with shakedowns and the less you can afford to improve security to keep things out, or at least catch them immediately as they enter.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The reform program stuff doesn't know how to handle security levels. It will create as many classes as there are rooms for but it doesn't know how to intelligently select rooms of a suitable security level when that security level has available time and then only assign that security level to the class.

Yet.

I'm hoping this is something that will be addressed soon since it's a pretty big issue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The canteen benches thing and the thing where everyone stands in the doorway of the canteen for the first 45 minutes of meal time are probably the two biggest 'weird prisoner behavior' problems.

The shower thing is annoying but working as intended, they have a block of time scheduled to stand in the showers, they stand in the showers when they're assigned, whether or not they need to shower, whether or not they've already showered.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If you pause right after the foundation finishes, before the lights are purchased, you can cancel them before they get purchased, it's a fairly narrow window of time though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Saws cut the sheets of metal into blank license plates, and the presses turn the blanks into license plates.

Saws also cut wooden logs into wooden planks, which sell for more money, and are also required to construct fancy beds with a carpenter table.

The classes are about the same difficulty I think, but attendance has a strong impact on how your prisoners do, so there may be something interfering with their ability to attend all the cooking classes, maybe?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1: If you find out, let me know.

2: It's fog of war. Either place guards there or build CCTV cameras. Or turn Fog of War/visibility/whatever they call it off when you start a new map/by editing your savefile.

3: Staff only zoning is the only way to guarantee it. Otherwise just build some buffer space/ignore it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've put toilet, shower, TV, and bed all in a cell with a drain under the door and not had problems.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That trail of yellow flags is kind of a big clue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At this point, nothing much. You can recruit some prisoners to be informants from Solitary, but mostly that just tells you where more contraband is.

Hopefully some expansion on that end of things will be coming soon. They've made great strides in getting prisoners who act up in a 'realistic' fashion, so the sensible corollary would be to expand a bit on how and why prisoners choose to follow the rules.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The first step has really been 'making prisons that function and prisoners that do basic stuff' without a whole lot of focus on building a moving narrative, but with things like gangs and the eventual campaign I suspect there'll be a little bit more of a personal connection. And yes, it has always been stated to be more of a tycoon game than a Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld type game.

The interesting thing about Prison Architect is the prisoners all HAVE individual personality values that control how they react to things and how likely to be violent they are and that sort of thing, but they're all hidden from the player.

Some way to flag/tag/mark-as-favorite certain prisoners to keep an eye on would go a long way toward helping that aspect, too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

I've just got into the habit of sending a doc over to solitary every time there's been a riot.

My bigger problem is the guards sometimes leaving beaten down prisons where they lay and not moving them to the cells.

A lot of times when that sort of thing happens, it's something like a guard was queued for that job, but he's all the way across the prison and in the middle of some other very long job and then something else comes up before he can get around to it so a different guard on the other side of the prison gets the job added at the bottom of HIS queue and so on until you give up and manually assign someone nearby to do it right away.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nutrition Research is one of those ones you kinda have to cheesedick in order to get. If you do it while you only have like 8 minsec prisoners, it's easy. Once you've got 100+ prisoners of various security levels and needs statuses, it's significantly harder.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty sure this is it. There can only be 3 "grab food" jobs at each serving table. Once those prisoners have grabbed their food, then other prisoners can grab theirs. Basically the line up is at the door instead of next to your serving table.

I get that they're going for the idea of a cafeteria line but either prisoners need to form an actual line or the serving trays should be smaller and hold less food but still only have 3 slots, or should have more than 3 slots, because this is kinda dumb. Hopefully they'll take another look at it eventually.

The food logistics changes fix a lot of the worst problems.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm hoping eventually we'll be able to do dormitories and have cellmates and stuff.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"I want to go home." "I can't find the exit." "The vandalism here is really bad."

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 13, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've got a protective custody regime that works pretty well, I just can't manage to micromanage enough to catch all the snitches as they come in, and they inevitably get murdered the first night after intake.

All except the super tough, quick, ex-prison guard snitch. He managed to not get beaten all the way to death.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It is kind of frustrating that they held off on the one thing that would instantly fix food and laundry logistics problems (letting the player set which rooms connect to eachother) until they exhausted every other possible option because 'this isn't a micromanagement game' but you have to recruit individual inmates, by name, to be CIs, and manually activate them to try to collect information about individual other inmates that you then have to click on and individually do things about. And you also have to individually manage the frequency and duration of their activation or they get shanked.

Some sort of system where prisoners who feel threatened can request protection automatically would help a lot, both with the snitch rush and with CI micro.

It wouldn't even need to automatically assign them, just in your to-do list an item that says "3 prisoners feel threatened" and you can click it and see a list and go do what you want with that information.

Maybe also something like "Staff feel 2 inmates are a threat" for people who might be good candidates for supermax?

This wouldn't even really need changes to the CI system as it currently exists, so it could stay as a way to dig in and find out more in depth information, while the low-hanging fruit gets 'brought to your attention by your staff' or whatever.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 5, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I have metal detectors at the entrance to every cellblock but that still doesn't catch everything. Sometimes they can run through and hide stuff before the guard arrives to search them, sometimes I think metal detectors just don't pick things up.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suppose one could argue that it's realism, but.. yeah, it could definitely use a tweak, but I can't think of anything they could change it to that would help much. Making them significantly shorter might help a bit.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suspect it may only apply to prisoners being punished by being sent to solitary or locked in their cells, and not their regime?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Who brings the food, cooks?

Guards, I believe.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Odd, my staff must be dropping stuff like crazy. Things like shanks, poison, alcohol, and so on are among the instantly discovered stuff, which is why I figured they were searching prisoners then just throwing the stuff on the ground.

Stuff discovered since your last shakedown shows up on the shakedown screen or something along those lines.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PantsFreeZone posted:

That's a good idea. I usually do Shower>Freetime>Yard>EAT, with the Yard being directly outside the Canteen. Do you find that the prisoners have a problem Eating within the hour (do you double them up, maybe)?

You know, I've done this, but I don't think I've ever seen the marked for death notice. Is it in the Prisoner Bio or is it something you can see on the overlay?

It's a red crosshair over the prisoner when in the intel view.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

This game is $5.99 on Steam for the next 2 days

How's the latest release? Still generally good? Close enough to a real game that I wouldn't regret paying $6 for it?

Yes. Without question.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MPLS to NOLA posted:

The real question is how do I assign 3 of my 10 guards a patrol route, which I paid at least $1000 to know how to do and still don't.

Open the deployment menu, click patrols, draw a patrol path, then click it so a little guard dot shows up next to it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I don't know where you were going with that open-plan prison idea. The room logic really falls apart without doors. Install doors and it should work.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The cell quality stuff seems to be a huge nerf to the luxury cell strategy for never having any problems ever, balanced out by the inclusion of reoffending chance in prisoner behavior.

So far I really like it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Some way to control which incidents reset privileges would be nice.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

how do you search out tunnels? Sometimes my dogs will mark them, but I cant seem to do anything to find the actual exits or entrances before they escape.

If you do a cell search on a cell with a tunnel entrance while a prisoner is in the tunnel (in the process of digging it, for example), you'll uncover it. Also dismantling the toilet a tunnel is connected to will reveal it.

So if you consistently get flags on the same spot, that night, use the search cellblock function (not shakedown, they hear the alarm and come back!) on the likely areas, or just start dismantling toilets.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Patrol Route Walkthrough: http://imgur.com/a/jAirt

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there a reason why my framerate is fine in every situation and layover, but utterly tanks when i go to the Deployment menu?

I don't know why, but I'm definitely getting that too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Prisoners standing around with their thumbs in their butts during mealtime despite being hungry can be caused by having an insufficient number of serving tables in that canteen.

You have five already, I know, but I usually do about four in a canteen half that size.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1 prisoner per food-spot on the serving tray, yeah.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Known bug, slated to be fixed in the next version.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Not currently.

It would be nice if they added the ability to send problem prisoners elsewhere for a fee, and then maybe a small chance that the octuple murderers you've transferred out might show up again down the road as death row inmates.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

When the gently caress did communicable diseases become a thing.

When they added events in the alpha before release.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They'll still wait at a staff door for someone to come open it for them if it's in their preferred route.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Those servos need to be on the side of the door that it opens (it's usually left - then top after rotate - right - down on last rotate) with the gear portion over the door tile and the box controller/receiver thingy on a wall/fence.

Also yeah don't use remote doors unless you want to make some sort of super high security stuff but you can count on your system breaking down at the worst possible moments because of the job swapping mechanics which are bound to leave a door control system without an operator for a short moment every once in a while. You can have redundancy which is what I usually do, but even then chances are at some point your whole system will be without a single controller.

Added picture.

They don't actually need to be on the side the door opens, they can be on the 'pocket' side too, but yes, the gear part needs to be on the door and the box part needs to be on a wall/fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They also just plain don't work if the gear part isn't overlapped with the door.

• Locked thread