Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I bought this game years ago but hadn't touched it yet. Now that there's finally a bit of a release date on the horizon, I figured it'd be sufficiently bug-free and stable to play, and it is, sort of.

The feature where you can sell your prison and use the money to start off a new one is the best feature for any kind of game in this genre.

I've built a nice big prison for almost 300 dudes, (low/med sec), complete with small wards for protective custody and max sec.

I keep the max sec guys fully suppressed using armed guards, the fearless ones get permanent solitary. There has only been an incident when I had a max sec snitch+instigator in there with them.

I let the protective custody guys roam the prison during the night when everyone's asleep, it works pretty well but they are tired all the time, as they don't sleep during the day, even when the regime says they should.

I added some toilets and showers to the canteen area and I got riots as a result, as it turned into a nice little unwatched corner to murder someone when the prisoners are moody in the morning from being unwashed and unfed. Removing these toilets made all the difference.

Permanent solitary/lockup work pretty well, but the prisoners must be manually released when their term is up. I also suspect no food is cooked for them, but they get fed anyway. Which means someone else doesn't. Regular solitary gives food through a bowl that despawns when it's been used, permanent solitary means someone will need to collect the plates. Which the cooks then stack up in the solitary cell before hauling to the kitchen, meaning long delays as they wait for a guard to open the door.

I'm a bit confused about the time scale used in the game though. I've played about 100 game-days but that's a few years when it comes to terms served. How long is one year in game-days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Thank you. Interesting to see how map size affects speed, and a bunch of other things.

Gaj posted:

Im having trouble with my guards not feeding prisoners stuck in lockdown as per their regime. For some reason they just arent giving them their little gruel bowls as usual and every one is starving. I have a spare kitchen for them and cooks but no canteen as these are all super max hitlers.
Kitchens don't need to cook for permenent lockup/solitary guys. Food magically appears.

Been looking around on the bug tracker to see if the bugs I've experienced needed reporting, ran into this related bug/exploit: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=8387

Permanent solitary/lockdown and death row create problems with the dishes, which are sometimes stacked in a cell before hauling off to the kitchen. Non-permanent solitary never generates dishes, a bowl is used instead, which appears to vanish after the prisoner finishes eating.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Away all Goats posted:

They can meet every need except for clothing, despite being linked to a shared laundry.
I think you need more janitors, they're too busy to put fresh clothes in the cells.

Just don't forget about your Protective Custody dudes when a riot breaks out, there's always one or two dudes who try to get into the PC part of the prison and turn their yellow shirts red.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Direct link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paradoxplaza.prisonarchitect

Doesn't seem to want too many permissions like GPS and address book data, but contains in-app purchases.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'll take the bullet for you guys then, but my tablet struggles with simple stuff like Kairosoft games and actually requires an ad blocker in order to render an average web page without crashing :v:

It certainly feels like an early access version, many details don't quite work right but that's also probably caused by the tablet being cheap. It's certainly not pleasant to play on such a small screen with such a low resolution (1280x800). Bigger, better tablets may have a better experience, but the play store said "designed for phones".

The splash screen image doesn't fit the screen and the fonts are just a little bit too small to read comfortably. It can only run in landscape mode, I can't seem to make it rotate.

I'm constantly reminded to "connect to your paradox account" for "new content". It's vague as to what these are, but it includes a wider selection of wardens.

The free game is limited to 40 prisoners and 7 in-game days in architect mode. You also get two "prison stories", "Death Row" and "Palermo". The three other prison stories require the full version. The only way to save the game is the autosave, only after upgrading to the full version do you get to save when you want.

So far, I've only found one IAP: it upgrades the free installation to the full version for 15,99 monies of an unspecified currency. I'm not going to try this. The google play store says "€ 0,99 - € 15,99 per item" for IAPs, but I have no idea what the 0.99 one is, I can't find any other IAPs. It's probably not actually anything and it just says that on the play store in order not to scare people away. Thankfully no in-game currencies to obfuscate the actual prices of IAP stuff.

Gangs, events and weather have a checkbox that I cannot uncheck. Probably needs the full version. It's not clear.

The back button on my tablet is ignored by the game. Both to cancel stuff in-game, and to exit the game. There is no way to quit the game. If I go to my tablet's home screen, the OS kills the game in order to free up enough memory so it can render my home screen, so I guess that's good enough. But the game will autosave when this happens.

Having said that, the game does seem to run fine performance-wise, at least for the first "prison story" which has about 45 prisoners and 49 staff. Even at higher game speeds! It appears to be as fully featured as the PC version. Although I can't seem to create a women's prison. Probably needs the full version. It's not clear again.

Worth 15,99? Maybe on a better tablet, and if you're okay with the lack of mods.

Here are some screenshots I took: https://imgur.com/a/u1JmO

The tablet is now pleasantly warm. It is a cold night tonight.

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 21, 2017

• Locked thread