Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Great OP. The gifs are a great touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Coolguye posted:

So I just bought this game. I'm a little off-balance as far as my first design though. The CEO's letter simply says to make sure you have some spots for the prisoners coming in, plus a canteen and kitchen. Oh and a warden so he needs an office.

That's not terribly descriptive, and I find myself unsure of what to do in the early going. What would make sense to me is some sort of lobby up front, with offices and staff facilities near the main entrance, and then an inmate processing room where new inmates have their dignity taken away. Then a wing for gen-pop behind that, with prisoner services further back from lockup.

The issue is that is that the game is really unclear on exactly how prisoners will go about their daily business, and therefore it's super hard to decide what workflow makes sense for managing them. What is the traditional way for managing prisoner traffic? I obviously don't want them coming any closer to the street than their cell until their release.

Also, is there any reason for anyone to be accessing the electrical and water substations after they're created?

Really I'm sort of hoping for a generalized quickstart guide, but there doesn't appear to be a good one available.

It's an early-access game that isn't scope-complete yet. Tutorials and smarter start scenarios will probably be saved until it gets closer to 1.0. As it is, there's no reason to write content for a game that will need to be rewritten.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rapacity posted:

The odd thing about this game is that it seems much more about the architecture than the prisoners.

I believe that's why it's called Prison Architect and not... erm... Prisoners? Orange is the New Black?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the "Genre" called, exactly?

I've been itching to play a game like this, at least I think. I went ahead and bought it, but I don't know if it's the exact game I'm looking for. Still, if they made uplink, then it's a pass in my book.

Dwarf Fortress -like.

I recommend Dwarf Fortress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
For parole, if you get $3000 if they don't re-offend and get fined $10,000 if they do, what's the ideal percentage to allow parole?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They said in the video that if you don't have a parole room, the overall riot-levels will increase.

I haven't played it yet though. Perhaps they mean that for a future patch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FISHMANPET posted:

It seems like for a game where you're managing a large prison of anonymous inmates (the 500 person grant wouldn't be there if they didn't expect you to build to 500, right?) but then you're micromanaging prisoners on a 1 on 1 level. It'd be nice to set some rules for classification. Law Enforcement & Snitches go to protective custody, unknown traits get put in a protective custody intake area, etc etc.

In the last Alpha Video, they seemed to be pretty aware of the micro vs macro management discrepancy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Little Abigail posted:

I use wood doors on min sec, staff doors on gen pop, cell doors on max sec and protective, and solitary doors on super max. Lots and lots of solitary doors everywhere in super max, most of them locked open, just waiting for a lock down to seal that wing off.

It would be easier to bust through a wall then through all those doors.

I also do that for my armory. Solitary doors five thick on both sides of the walkway leading to it. If they can get to it then they've earned the right to kill everyone and take over the place.

That's not very sporting.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Death Row doesn't seem like a feature I'd use, but it made for a good alpha to watch through.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Had an issue across multiple games where my dog patrols would drop yellow flags on the exact same spot consistently (6+ flags at a time) and yet my shakedowns and manual searches revealed nothing. I knew there was supposed to be false positives but that does make it odd multiple patrols were putting the flag on the same spot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PantsFreeZone posted:

Holy poo poo. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go install drains all the way around my power center.

Where do you keep your power and water generators? They're always closed off from the prison population because I just assumed they could cause some serious hell if they had access to it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Here's a solution to the shower problem:

Make the shower part of the yard, use yard time liberally such as first thing in the morning and before/after meals, etc. My yards also have all the required amenities to make prisoners happy and this way a lot of them can fulfill their needs quickly.

It's kind of cheesing it but hey it works very well.

Or an hour or two of freetime after everyone wakes up.

My prisons do pretty well with a good amount of freetime throughout the day.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key difference between freetime and scheduled activities is prisoner control. Freetime lets them just handle their needs on their own time which means that you'll be less likely to see a bunch of prisoners with critically low needs being shoved into the same room at the same time. On the other hand, because they can wander all over the prison during free time, it means you'll need to make entirely separate facilities for your PC prisoners and (possibly) supermax as well. With scheduled activities like yard or shower time, you can have your PC prisoners make use of the canteens because all the other prisoners will be forced to go to a particular room. Having a more structured regime also lets you be a little more efficient with your deployment - you can have a couple of dogs that get assigned to the yard or such during yard time and easily sniff out anyone there, rather than needing a bunch of dogs all over the prison all the time.

My prisons are mixed and I don't make extensive use of snitches. I haven't played with Gangs though.

I'm not exactly sure what snitches do for me. It's not important for me to know the attributes of individual prisoners. I just keep everyone happy and design things to not be exploitable by the prisoners as best as I can.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Escape Mode looks great. Really channeling Dwarf Fortress here. Make a Fort, make an Adventurer for that fort.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's seems to me that it's supposed to be a quick fun bonus thing rather than the point of the entire game. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Got out of a random 5 star prison within 6 hours without drawing any attention to myself and I merely get 10 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know if they're good, but I'm just scanning through the workshop and finding some neat things. Just make sure to filter the results so you're not getting a bunch of prison save files.

Real-time Basketball

• Locked thread