Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally worked through my aversion to this game and am having a blast with it!

...But there really needs to be a warning about how expensive it is to place foresty rooms. I assumed I could just slap them over the whole forest and have it be cleared. I'm now 70k into the red. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the good news is that forestry zones are in general more profitable than prisoners so if you can get through the planting pretty much all the money belongs to you

like for real, if you don't have a prison to sell for seed money, just build an admin building, hire basic staff, research gardeners, and plant trees. let game run overnight. come back to enough money to do anything you ever wanted, ever.

I'm trying to build a workshop so I can automate the selling of logs and such, but my tiny prison is having problems - we were only bringing in 800$ a day, and now the debt is, hoo boy. Also all my workers won't stop moving logs to actually build that workshop despite me putting it on high priority.

e: How Not To Run A Prison

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 20, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I personally appreciate that the best placement for forestry zones is between your inner and outer walls

You know, the exact place youd viscerally want clear.

How does this work?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i'm just referring to the normal two-fence perimeter, to keep motherfuckers from throwing contraband over the walls.

note the perimeter in this screenshot: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/790791368233074504/235FC3E8059A47E26979129F16C21D08F94716AF/
zoomed in: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/790791368233074809/ADB91BA7D2E740CAF4753257A4F80875A6FC28FA/

those 10 squares aren't good for anything, and in an actual factual prison the last goddamn thing you would want in your no-man's zone is a ton of trees for inmates to use as cover. in PA though you're best off just dropping a big old forestry zone in there and growing all the logs.

Oh! Ohhh I see. This game really is wonky sometimes.

Okay, newbie questions - I just spent the last two days in a timewarp thanks to this game, and now I'd like to quit my terrible prison and make something good. So!

- Do bookcases in cells do anything at all?
- Is it better to have an all-indoors prison where it's one giant building + yard, or multiple buildings?
- Do male prisons get any rooms specific to them like the female prisons do? I, uh. I went a little nuts last night and just told the intake to bring in all 200 prisoners at once and stuffed them in a holding cell and desperately slapped together cells before they all starved

and realized the hard way that lady prisoners would bring babies in with them. and you'd have to build special cells for them or else they'd both die. :ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye, you've answered my questions above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you.

e: I'd have more to say but I need to get in and make my new prison and test all I've learned. Wish me luck!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 22, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DoubleElevenLtd/status/872026108958474240

I really, really hope this comes to the PC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Odd that the IVSoftware youtube channel hasn't updated with this - that's how i get my PA news. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSjgy_v6oY

"Is this coming to PC?"

Double Eleven: "Hey there, at the moment it's a PS4 and Xbox One exclusive since we only publish the console edition and this one was made in-house. You'd have to ask Introversion about their plans for the other versions."

drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hezzy posted:

Their Scanner Something game took a nose dive so they've returned to PA with a new update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FmOacal6Q

Adds more complex staff needs, staff can strike

I love this. :allears:

I can't wait for it to get into the game so I can really upset my staff.

• Locked thread