Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

OwlFancier posted:

I got chased off by angry security guards for photographing the wall of the law courts where I live as part of a report on art-deco architecture.

Apparently taking photos of walls helps you do terrorism or something.

Taking pictures of government buildings in many areas is a massive no no. I've had experiences where my friends were taking pictures of cool looking buildings they saw (from three streets away) and we were in the area long enough for a security guard to get over to us and ask us to delete the image.

Granted, it was on three social media sites by that point, but guards :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I tend to have an administrative building in the middle of my prison. That way if you build two wings, a canteen in the middle and have the yard at the bottom you get a lot of movement. Good for interesting gameplay.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

a worthy uhh posted:

Don't Build a Parole Room because it sounds way too risky IMO

I was looking at it and thinking "What the gently caress". This is the first thing i've seen that's made me do that though, so hopefully it works out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just going to try a normal prison at first, with mainly med sec with a few max, to see what sort of hierarchy we get going and how many areas they take over, etc. Might just let the gangs rule the prison aside from specific areas, why the hell not.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The whole yard and common room being the only places they can take has me less enthused. I made a cleaning cupboard and stocked it with weight benches/phones/spare stuff. Pretty much used it as a storage room, would have been great if they took that over.

Same with shops. Gangs should totally take over shops, you get shipments in, perfect for smuggling weapons, extorting money, etc. Also things like the workshop. Let them gently caress with your finance operation.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shaking down the janitors would, they have keys to the staff rooms, chemicals that can be used as drugs/poison, etc. I'm not saying they'd be shaking them down for cash, i'm saying they'd be doing it for contraband.

E: Maybe instead of shaking them down, using that cash to buy drugs?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 3, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, its pretty much impossible to get gang members in as medium security. 100 dudes in, one gang member.

Of course, he immediately stabbed a snitch. :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd like it if guards had traits as well, like "Violent: Hits prisoners again after they've passed out" or "Clumsy: Frequently loses his baton". Things that won't drastically change your prison, but if a prisoner suddenly produces a club because Guard McClutz dropped it in the cell block it'd be fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a legendary prisoner right now, he got into a fight and disarmed all of my six guards that were there for him so I turned on freefire.

Shotgun blast to the face, he's merely unconscious. Holy poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My good cells are taken up by the gang leaders and their second in commands. I have a feeling that's always going to be the case.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Maybe put a staff zone between the good and bad cells so they can't talk to soldiers?

Oh I don't mind, it actually makes it interesting (I had to cheat in the gang leaders, I think on average you need to have 700 max sec prisoners before statistically you'll get a legendary gang leader, but that's going on reddit maths).

Its just the leaders never do anything bad aside from the legendary guy I placed next to one of the weaker gangs to prop them up a bit. He kinda goes in and stabs people occasionally.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've never had anyone try carpentry but every other program is full to the brim. It is a bit odd.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah before I went "gently caress it" and edited my money to a huge level, i'd just leave the game on overnight chopping trees.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Last offence would be pretty useless, considering all prisoners commit crimes. Why would a min sec steal poo poo if his sentence expires the very next day, for example?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its seriously scary how quick a snitch can die. I made an extremely touch and deadly guy a snitch before letting him into genpop. He walked out of his PC cell and died before he got to his minsec one (walking through a maxsec area with guards in).

Like, I figured the dude would be able to at least stab someone back.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't think social norms and prison go together.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Time to start triple layering my fences.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Those honor system cells are hilarious and i'll probably use them for my min sec hellholes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't, its really not worth the risk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really wish you could automate cell block searches. Ideally I like the idea of searching one cell block every day while the inmates are busy in a rotating order.

I just do shakedowns now because its easier and my max sec prisoners bring in so much cash that i can pretty much hire guards for them on a 1:1 ratio, but it'd be nice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't worry, I did that for the first hour or so.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
GameDevs.txt

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DeepQantas posted:

If you want to save even more clicks, hold Shift so you don't have to re-select the monitor every time.

Works for food/laundry stuff, too.

Also ordering doctors/guards around.

No loving way

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you want to kill a prisoner, make him a CI and then just max out his snitch meter. Let nature take its course.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is it less ridiculously hard to get leaders in now?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 31, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nielsm posted:

Sure. Just rezone the room, dismantle the furniture you don't need, and build the new required parts. Holding cells in general aren't worth the space, in my playstyle, I just build one to get the initial Basic Detention Centre grant.

Bonus points if you rezone it into a reception after.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I usually have a dedicated office block that's fairly non - rectangular. The normal cell blocks get easily cloned modular designs, solitary and good behaviour cell blocks get run asymmetrical designs

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I should probably play this again if the random events are actually fun. Are they fun?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If I put "fill to capacity", will the game work out how many of each prisoner I need?

I really want to start a prison where I have min sec, med sec and max sec areas, but designating the cells and making sure I know how many prisoners are missing from each area and therefore need replacing each day seems like a chore.

On that note, is there a mod to auto remove tunnels once they're found? I really like automation, but I hate having to manually clear those tunnels. My dogs find all of them (JW is the best warden) but I have to remove them myself. Seems like a pain in the rear end.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, fill to capacity respects your cell assignments so if you have 10 free genpop cells, 5 free minsec cells, and 2 free maxsec cells, that's what you'll get.

<3

Thanks man, i'm building a giant prison (sold my old one, had tons of cash) and after it has the initial min sec cash grab grant stage done, it'll be nice to just be able to go "here, cells, fill them, thanks"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did they add an anti idle thing? I saved my prison, left it on for the night. When I came back I had no prisoners, cells were (mostly) available and the staff were all still alive, but it wasn't trying to fill.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Set to "fill to capacity"

I expected a couple of cells to be rendered unusable due to tunnels, but the vast majority were fine. It just wasn't bringing any in.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I turn random events off, most of them seem really unfun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My area's are the same thing, just use regular doors and put min/med sections before the rooms. Running a split prison usually requires you to split your prison into several big areas though.

This is an early version of a prison i've got running (The other side of the road is now in use with max sec and more PC, going to phase out the little PC area i have on the left).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947492191

Multiple areas for gang control, I was hoping my max sec would get me some gang leaders in at some point, then I was going to assign one gang per zone. At some point I was going to have people in max get put in min sec for various crimes and people in min and med get put up a level for other crimes, but that's a while off yet. I just want a really fun prison to watch.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's fine, i've got a second backup save for when that happens. Also i'm fairly sure the gang members won't hurt my bed production.

• Locked thread