Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Angela Christine posted:

Holding cells can also contain showers, pool tables and weight benches, but that's probably overkill unless you are using the holding cell as permanent quarters.

For some reason, this is telling me "you should put showers above your TVs and other electronics". Maybe showers with the holding cell's center having the power generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Also, hot tip: Separate your showers and power generators.

If you'll excuse me, I need to make this about 20x more deadly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PantsFreeZone posted:

Holy poo poo. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go install drains all the way around my power center.

Oh, and before I forget, GET YOUR FIRE MEN IN. Fires are a bitch and a half to get out, and foremen will either puss out or die.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So I think I wanna go small and burst out from there. Like, start with min-sec majority and maybe normal sec. Should I still go for every grant? Or rather, what SHOULD I go for with min-sec prisons?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PantsFreeZone posted:

Actually, you'll get more snitches. Min Sec has a higher % of Ex-Law Enforcement and Snitch traits. But if every prisoner is Min Sec, you probably won't have to worry about them getting got.

Mkay, with that said, how do I make sure Visiting Hours goes off without a hitch? Last I tried, I don't think I got any visitors for the prisoners, even with a good amount of tables and the proper room.

Other problems include prisoners not going to the canteens during Eating time and prisoners not even going to the Infirmary if they got injured. If it's all Logistics-based, then fine.

However, I could say that I'm doing good with the other programs, even though it'll be a while before I get competent and qualified prisoners.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Last I checked, I used regular-rear end doors. So next run, I'll make wide pathways to compensate for possible pathing errors. Though, with the canteen, after I made sure every cell had the food distribution thing in Logistics, I got 'em fed. But for the other things, yes, I'll make paths.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PantsFreeZone posted:

One last thought, have you set your REGIME and your PROGRAMS properly?

Yes. Though I might have misinterpreted WORK in the REGIME. I'm thinking it's all the work and work-related programs like qualifier stuff. HOWEVER, I think I need to have hour-long blocks of things to ensure proper scheduling.

As far as PROGRAMS go, I think have. Had to make sure I activated the parole thing beforehand. But for whatever reason, I can't do the Carpentry Apprenticeship without getting the "ALL ROOMS BOOKED" error, despite it only needing a Carpenter's Table and qualified prisoners. Is that another word for "get qualified prisoners" or...?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Ahhh. I think that's where my problem is: I've been using the basic REGIME as a template instead of knocking out any Lockups for Min-sec/Med-sec. I should do that once I get things running. Also, I forgot to pay attention to how long a program needs so that might have been another issue there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Essentially, the trick is to make a number of bad cells that you are to regard something like Solitary - if they are not occupied, good. That means they are doing their job of deterring bad behavior by their very existence. The difference, of course, is that Solitary cells don't actually do that, regardless of how miserable they are or how long the sentences inside them may be.

Or you could go the opposite, and make every cell have 0 quality. How you do that, is simple: Start with more funds, rush Legal and Small Cells, make about 200-300 small cells. For added flavor, do maxsec/death row only.

I actually did that once, and... well, the place was virtually unsellable due to the amount of deaths that happen each day. It's a perfect hellhole, but... I just dunno what I was missing. Still, having nearly 100 corpses in the cells and no morgue was fun.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Across the top is my super-Amistad holding cell I was working on filling (and also the purpose of the giant canteen on the bottom-left) before it started crashing regularly. I setup a three hour eating period so that all the prisoners could get to and eat at the canteen before it closed.

I am borrowing this idea for my next prison. Big-rear end holding cell with beds and poo poo for the minsec guys since, hey, they ain't gonna be in there long anyway. Why go through the song-and-dance of making individual cells?

Away all Goats posted:

Servos need to be placed over a wall and parallel to the the way the door slides, like these (left side)

Oh. Well poo poo. Thanks for the heads up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So today I learned the importance of why you should close off everything.

They were all MinSec, too.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alpha 35: Revolving Door Prisons Funded By Mayor Quimby.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

WHY CAN'T I RUN A MIXED SEC PRISON.

Info: Riot started. Flipped on Freefire. Armed Guards go postal.
And the prison was worth over a mil before the riot.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

KillHour posted:

He said "mixed," not "min."

That, and the riot happened near the MaxSec block anyway.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Right, so I got a $1.6mil template save from selling off that hellhole that got the 56 death streak from a riot. And I realized something: I want to make an actually usable prison that's happy and all that poo poo, while still having all the secs not getting murdered by my guards each other(death row excluded because it's a waste for me due to how I could just take in 4 more MaxSecs, not to mention the rarity of prisoners in Death Row).

So my questions are: what'd be a recommended cell layout for each sec? Should I go the intended "Detention Center to Heavy Security Prison" route? Should all the prisoners be segregated by security levels? Is there a benefit for indoor or outdoor hallways? And others I can't remember.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

nielsm posted:

Advantages of indoor areas:
- Allows almost all types of room
- Cannot get contraband thrown over the outside walls into inside areas

Disadvantages of indoor areas:
- Cannot build forestries
- Prevents cell quality bonuses from outdoor-facing windows
- Can burn in a fire
- Cannot contain perimeter walls
- Costs money to build foundations

If you're never planning to do forestry you can theoretically just make a gigantic building over the entire map and have everything indoors. You'd probably want to add sprinklers to every area unless you think you can prevent all fires.

Oh, so for fires to consume everything, it has to be all indoors. I get it. That always confused me whenever I did a- ahem- spontaneous fire drill.

GamingHyena posted:

Sure you can. Just build the perimeter wall first as the outer wall of the building, and then fill in the empty space with building.

Now, is there any advantage to having perimeter walls over concrete/brick? Or is it solely aesthetics?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Perimeter walls are harder for prisoners to tunnel under, with the downside that they are much more expensive (I think they take longer to build too?)

A quick wiki browse says it's a mid-to-late game upgrade. Thank goodness for the template save, I guess.

Captain Postal posted:

Also you can't route electrical conduit or any pipes under perimeter walls

That's fine. Just use any door object to provide means to get the utilities. With that, less chances- if any- of prisoners using the piping system as the escape route.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So right now in the "Failure Possible/Gangs" prison, I got this set-up for the cell blocks. Orange's pointing at medsec, Gray to minsec, and red to maxsec.

I want to expand capacity to 80 per sec from 40 per sec. But I'm afraid, due to Yard/showers under Max/Med and Laundry/Cupboard above Min. Plus I have but 10 PC cells across the street. Should I just say gently caress it and add doors or is there a better way?

Also, got CIs finally. Not sure what's a safe number to have.

Fun fact: Due to the Perimeter barrier, I had tunnels going right through the MinSec Holding Cell and out through Reception's Solitary door. They're really some clever fuckers, I'll give 'em that. Or somehow they dug through the small pipe in the toilet to the larger piping and went from there.

Edit: Also there's this Snitch stuck in Reception for some reason. Like, he's not inside a wall and in PC gear but... no guards are moving him. Any ideas? He's getting needier.

widespread fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 5, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

This club has been in my prison longer than many of the prisoners :catstare:

God drat, must be a MaxSec weapon :v:

Also, how did you get your guys to be interested in General Ed? All I get is guys that pass Foundation Education but they leave/don't get interested in the next step up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Edit: I can't understand sarcasm. My bad.

widespread fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 7, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

I would like it if trucks containg tarps, body bags, and dry ice would be called in automatically in the event that more than, say, 30 people die within one day at the prison. Or you can just temporarily turn the canteen into a larger morgue.

Or string up mangled corpses around the execution room. Pretty much any place can hold corpses, you just gotta get ~*~creative~*~.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Call me hosed, but for every "successful" prison I look at, I want to make a Gulag. Like, I tried it before but everyone didn't get fed in time, lotsa death, et cetera. Might try again with Fail conditions to see if I could get away with it again.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

I made one of these. Several large holding cells. It worked out okay until I decided to stop controlling the flow of incoming inmates. It slowly devolved into near constant shooting by the armed guards. There was minimum 1 death every day in the shower, canteen, and yard. Eventually there was a really bad riot that left a LOT of guards and prisoners dead. It only got cleared up by me holding off my armed guards for a little bit so I could concentrate them en masse against the mob.

It sounded like a warzone with all the shooting, even before the riot.

Oh. I went with the 1x3 cell route. More bleak that way, I guess. In fact, I'm not sure what'd be better for this kind of stuff: Either the large holding cells for a bit more flow, or more small cells to possibly be fluid.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Okay, this new update sounds cool. Makes it sound like more an RTS if you get too much gang poo poo. Wonder if I can use my $1.6mil save for the newer stuff.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean, it basically is "people took over the common room, send in guards to flush them out with a press of a button"

I am kinda disappointed that only a couple rooms could be taken over, I wanted to see the gangs taking a kitchen or something else that would seriously disrupt the prison

I want to say Update 36 to 40 add a bit more to it? Like, with the next one or so, every room's controllable by gangs. And then sometime after release, even outdoor hallways could be taken. And eventually, you get the "Uncontrollable Riot" ending if you let gangs take over everything, leading to what must be one loving amazeballs shootout that you forgot to lift Lockdown up for.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

They probably don't want you turning your prison into a state sanctioned murder mill which is also why the rate of death row prisoners is so low.

But my prisons wind up being state sanctioned murder mills. And I don't even need an execution chamber to make it so. The prisoners do it for free. :v:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Okay, so how the flippin' 'ell do I get all the optional objectives for the last three chapters. I think Chapter 2 I can skip, since no cheev is tied to that.

Other than that, I'll give Escape a shot after making a prison.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Holy gently caress where have I been. Can I have just women prisoners or is it just "Moms only"?

Also Baby Death Row when.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

What's the incentive to bother with the extra infrastructure, then? Do you get paid more for them, or is it just for fun?

You mean the incentive isn't to make a stable orphan farm?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

When I tried it after update 2, it kept sending me moms, even if there were no available family rooms. They would just sit in the delivery area until I messed around with room assignments to place them inside.

Yeah, you're guaranteed at least one mom if you try for 20 prisoners.

Speaking of, are dorms just absolutely OP right now? I mean, you can squeeze a fuckload of prisoners in about the same space as a few cells sorta.

Plus the idea of prison being like a vocational school with on-campus living and a free tuition makes things weirder.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Croccers posted:

European prisons?

.. is that what they're called? Well poo poo. I didn't know EuroPrisons were so cool or whatever.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

nielsm posted:

No, there's definite drawbacks to dorms. One is that the prisoners who require privacy won't get that need met. So you'd have to either deal with constantly cranky prisoners, or manually move affected ones to solo cells. The other is that more prisoners in one cell means faster tunnel digging. So you definitely have to be vigilant. With large dorm rooms, you can easily get 20 escapes in one night.

What if I surrounded my dorms with a two-layer perimeter fence thing? Last I remember, with just one layer of perimeter fence, the tunnels go right through the initial Deliveries area.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The prime dorm room size is 7 prisoners, tho, so it isn't that big. Shove the usual TV/chair/etc in there and you've got a decent quality room.

You can be exploitive cuz dorms don't have a minimum size and just make the tiny cell designs with dorms instead of cells, bunkbed or not.

While duly noted, I'm more likely to make a dorm size 6 with bunks. Or have seven regular beds all lined up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

For Reception rooms, what'd be more used: Tables or chairs?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

nielsm posted:

Nobody has any business sitting in the reception. Tables are used for storing clean uniforms for new arrivals, so unless you're getting waves of 150 prisoners a day, a single table should be fine.

Alrighty. And for reference, I could convert a Holding Cell into Reception once I get actual cells/dorms going, right?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

They're good to build for when you're just starting out and you need an overflow zone because you have literally no cells up yet. Other than that, junk 'em.

The thing is, "Fill to Capacity" is an Intake option now, so you could fill as you see fit (just add beds last ofc), and try to coast on grants that DON'T require much in the way of hiring a quantity of staff members.

Then again, you should probably wait until you sell a prison or turn on Unlimited Funds before you attempt to live on grants alone.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

For a while I kept seeing prisoners loitering in reception. Turns out reception apparently had the comfiest chairs in the place, so prisoners with a high comfort need would come and hang out during free time. Stupid chairs.

Or they could have rear end cancer and the reception chairs are hard as gently caress.

But either way, just move them outside of Reception. Kinda like a prisoner with a pretty high Privacy need, except it's a chair that handles asses better than a drug runner.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Applewhite posted:

That explains why the doors can't be removed, but why can't the workmen repair the servos?

Do you have readily available workmen, first off? If so, send them to the servos. They should automatically fix 'em. Failing that, I think there's a Repair option you can click in the Servo's menu?

And by send, I mean select your workmen, then right-click or left-click an area to tell them to go there. Same as the emergency peoples.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

McGlockenshire posted:

So there's a hidden button in the Extras menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsL-D344BU

Oh god, please let the extra complexity include multi-tiered floors. It has to at this point.

And then we can make that one kinda prison where the guard station is in the center of a circular room and the cells are all along the wall of said room.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh man I love random events but the "here's more prisoners, dwi" event is a loving kick in the teeth. I was running a nice mininum security prison and then all of a sudden I had 25 MedSec fuckers dumped on me, and all of 40 mins to prepare. None of my systems can cope. My kitchen couldn't meet demand so minsec went hungry and started kicking off and disturbing all my nice reform programs, and the MedSec fuckers murdered someone on the first day, ruining my spotless record. Bastards.

I love this game but I hate it but I love it really

Wait, can't you just only take in the max capacity you have? Or was this event bypassing it because it's an event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

One thing I'll never get is how some of these good prisons are fine with some of their stuff so tightly spaced. Like with that canteen, I try to add a space between benches so it's "bench-table-bench-space" and so on. Same with the kitchen and other stuff.

• Locked thread