Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't you click on the door to open it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought prisoners were assigned an internal security level which stays the same regardless of what security you assign them to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

amuayse posted:

Reminded me of Dwarf Fortress a bit in that sense, although prisoners do not make artifacts sadly.

Do you really want a legendarily strong, quick, stoic, fearless prisoner who also wields Toiletworkshopped, the Overdose of Visitation, a masterwork scrap metal shiv?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

So, out of honest curiosity, how do they stop you from getting those plans into the wrong hands? Good pay, or just threats of the unholy wrath of the Federal Government?

I was going to say, don't make it too accurate, people have gotten in trouble for making copies of their school/workplace in games over here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

The last time I heard about this happening was a 13-year old making a Counterstrike map out of his high school. That's a little more problematic for obvious reasons.

*shrug* Daft people will take anything and run with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I imagine that when building the prison, the engineers unaccountably fail to include an array of secret passages to allow for easy traversal around the prison if only you knew where they were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got chased off by angry security guards for photographing the wall of the law courts where I live as part of a report on art-deco architecture.

Apparently taking photos of walls helps you do terrorism or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's especially weird is the google van drives past and takes photos of it anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a chance, the alpha video goes into it a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Logically, snitches should always be known as such to the prison, because otherwise why are they snitches?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

Sometimes people are accused of Snitching even though they haven't.

I guess, but it should probably still have a high prevalence of being known I would think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

For the purposes of release, how long is a year in game days?

Also, I notice that only a fraction of my population is interested in the workshop class. Is there anything I can do to increase their number?

I believe that prisoners need to have minimal suppression and maximum happiness to want to take up classes, if you use armed guards or punishments they won't want to do many classes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Awesome, thanks. Another thing: are cleaning closets worth investing in? I figure I'll want a pooch outside the room to sniff out poison, and those are $150/day, which is the cost of 3 janitors. I might have like 4 closets in the large prison I'm planning, so I guess what I'm asking is: for a large, ~360 population prison, would using prisoner cleaners allow me to hire at least 12 fewer janitors? I imagine I'd do alright during work hours, but I'm worried about my janitors getting overwhelmed during evenings, nights, and mornings...

Broom closets are certainly efficient at cleaning, a swarm of prisoners with mops will stop just short of laminating the building in terms of keeping things clean, but as you say, they're a source of contraband and also, they tend to give prisoners an excuse to be in places you don't want them to be in, such as workshops, infirmaries, and kitchens.

I personally just buy more janitors, not least because they clean everywhere and work longer hours than prisoners. They can get a lot done overnight when your prisoners aren't tracking poo poo everywhere, but if you need a clean in a hurry, a cupboard will certainly get that done. I think it also helps prisoner engagement to give them jobs to do, so it's also technically part of the reform system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I would guess it's because your holding cell tiles are overlapping the exterior door also.

Your shower doesn't need to be separate either unless you're using it on the schedule, your inmates will use it if it's part of the holding cell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

It'd be fantastic if they added in a 'pyromaniac' trait. After they add in sprinklers and fire extinguishers of course :ohdear:

Sprinklers are already in, to my knowledge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I had a prison filled with armed guards. I think I had 40 or 50 of them, it was insane. They keep the prisoners suppressed though, and that makes them perform worse in classes and workshop, so it wasn't that good. That prison went to the shitter too due to a fire.

I now have a model that's all about giving the prisoners everything to satisfy their needs instantly, like toilets in the showers and telephones in the canteen. They are incredibly peaceful and I can make them work 6 hours a day and they danger meter never goes past Low.

Obviously what we need is a new object which is a toilet with a showerhead over it, a videophone/television in front of it, an IV stand full of methadone next to it, and some sort of intubation feeding device for shoveling porridge into your prisoner.

Comes with restraints, obviously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Do prisoners only need to eat once a day?

Their state of nutrition is a little more complex, you can probably get by with just one meal a day, but it will, I think, depend on food quality and quantity. Feeding your prisoners well will give them a well fed modifier which I think improves their mood and possibly their engagement with reform programs.

Two meals a day is generally not quite enough to have them well fed, but three should be, one will probably keep them from starving but won't help their mood any.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually have breakfast first thing in the morning and dinner last thing on an evening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also just put a drain directly under the shower, or the cell door which is what I do as a matter of course to keep the inevitable toilet punchers from poo poo-watering up the cell block.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hank Morgan posted:

:getin:

Surprisingly he's been convicted of multiple charges of rape. voyeurism and gross indecency without being a user submitted prisoner. I didn't think the game automatically generated those types of prisoner.

Aside from the rap sheet, you appear to have generated Mister T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Truthfully the last few times I had a Legendary prisoner built them private quarters and kept him indoors 24 hours a day. It was just safer for everyone that way. Every so often I would deconstruct the toilet while he was asleep just to make sure he wasn't getting any funny ideas.

He left with a pretty high reoffend rate because his reform was like 2 (I made him do his own laundry, but that was it) but he served his sentence and didn't get the opportunity to kill anyone, which honestly is all you can ask for in these sorts of situations.

And really, with those skills he'll probably get picked up by delta force or something given that most of them can apparently murder n+1 people in hand to hand combat.

• Locked thread