Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

McGlockenshire posted:

So, is anyone else having a problem where certain supermax prisoners insist on using the solitary block as their cell?

e: The save file has them marked as "RequiredCellType Solitary". Weird. I wonder what caused that to happen.

Are you sure there's a way for them to path back to the supermax cell that doesn't involve them going through a staff only area? I had two guys in protective custody who just chilled in their solitary cells because of my staff only airlock in front of the protective custody wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Megasabin posted:

I bought this game, did the tutorial, and feel completely lost on how to start a prison from scratch. I have no idea on what is required for even a basic working prison, what is a feasible building size to attempt right from the start, what areas are crucial and what aren't (warehouses? garbage dumps?), etc...

Admittedly the OP does warn the tutorial is terrible. What is the best way to actually learn to play this game and be able to build a prison from scratch? Is there a good LP series, should I just watch all the dev alpha videos in order, etc...?

The new personality traits make designing a good prison a lot more difficult. After having a few go down in flames I finally designed a prison that largely runs itself with minimal bloodshed.

The administrative area (offices, storage, morgue) of the prison is staff only except for the hallway to visitation. Visitors come and go using the top entrance to keep them away from the prisoners as much as possible. All incoming prisoners and goods come through the bottom entrance, passing by multiple metal detectors and guard dogs to catch contraband. Behind the administrative area is the workshops / kitchen / cleaning cupboard. Not only does this make it easy for workers to resupply these rooms, but walling them away from the rest of the prison makes it easier to scan incoming and outgoing prisoners for contraband.

The best way to keep contraband away from prisoners is to make sure it doesn't make into the prison in the first place. Unfortunately, metal detectors and guard dogs won't catch everything. I have every incoming inmate/item searched for contraband. This became a LOT easier when I figured out that clicking on an inmate/item in a truck and selecting the "search cell block" command will search everything in all waiting trucks. Now everybody/thing that comes in gets searched which, as you can see, catches a ton of stuff.

The minimum security wing of my prison houses 100, and they form the backbone of my prison labor to staff my workshops and cleaning cupboards. Although they seem to steal contraband from these rooms at about the same rate as other prisoners, they rarely have negative personality traits so as long as they are docile they won't use the contraband to hurt anyone. Most contraband (metal tools/poison/drugs) gets picked up by the dogs/metal detectors, but wooden pickaxes seem to a be a favorite item to smuggle back to their cells. Probably as a consequence, my minimum security prisoners are always the ones trying to tunnel to freedom.

ESCAPE NOTE: Prisoners will largely try the same escape route every time, and will always tunnel using the path of least resistance (which in my prison is the gap out the outside perimeter wall on the left where the staff door is). Instead of trying to seal everything off, it's a lot easier to just keep the area open and layer the future escape route with dog patrols.

CONTRABAND NOTE: Using the shakedown command seems to cause the inmates a lot more unrest than if you had just searched everyone's room individually. Normally what I do to prevent unnecessary searches and keep the inmates calm is to use confidential informants. CIs seem to have more coverage the longer they stay in your prison, so I usually just drag one in every two or three days and only search cells that have shovels or clubs.

The medium security wing houses 66 prisoners. They are mostly confined in the medium security wing unless they're working at the workshop or going to classes/therapy. Medium security prisoners start to come in with bad personality traits (deadly, instigator, etc.) so I usually try to identify the troublemakers early and reclassify them as max/supermax inmates. This leaves a typical medium security prisoner as having some bad trait (stoic, fearless), but as long as they're happy can even work in the workshop without causing any trouble.

Maximum security prisoners are usually prisoners who have the volatile/instigator traits. Their rooms come with more amenities like a TV to allow them to stay locked down as much as possible. Naturally, in the yard and canteen they start a bunch of fights among themselves but since they're isolated they don't have weapons and since I've reclassified the tough/deadly guys into supermax the maximum security inmates can't cause any problems some guards can't handle. As long as they're heavily guarded they tend to be suppressed enough to be manageable. For obvious reasons, DO NOT segregate volatile/instigators and deadly prisoners together unless you want a real mess on your hands.

Protective custody (middle group of cells) and super max (bottom building with cells) are segregated away from everyone and are almost 23/7 lockdown. I use supermax to house my deadly/extremely tough prisoners. Luckily, deadly prisoners whose needs are being met are pretty chill and normally don't give any problems. Protective custody inmates can cause their own problems because sometimes they end up with other traits in addition to ex-law enforcement/snitch. A snitch/instigator or snitch/volatile can cause the whole cell block problems, so it may be worth it to make them super max (with heavy guard) instead of protective custody.

But if all else fails...

Will society really miss this guy?

I discovered pretty quickly that for some reason not everybody who dies in your prison counts as a "prison death" that negatively impacts your value. Apparently people that die of starvation or medical neglect (are seriously wounded and bleed out later) don't count. As a result, you might want to be a lot choosier who gets prompt medical attention/food. If you don't mind being an inhuman monster, you can just let those with undesirable combinations of traits (volatile/extremely deadly, Ex-law enforcement/instigator, etc.) shuffle off to the great prison in the sky.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 10, 2014

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Im having tunnel trouble. My dogs are dropping flags reasonably regular but not in any specific area. Ive searched cell blocks and even ripped out every toilet and not found anything, so now I have some questions.

How often do dogs give false positives? If 4 or 5 flags have come up over a few days is there a chance theres no tunnels at all? Or do the flags also represent something else?

Does dismantling toilets automatically uncover tunnels or do you also need to search afterwards?

Do you need to dismantle showers and drains too?

Coz at this point im either not looking in the right place or my dogs are huffing all those discarded drugs found when people come in to my prison :catdrugs:

False flags are common but easy to check. Just click on a dog and have him go over and confirm. If there's an actual tunnel you'll get a bunch of flags within seconds of each other. As of right now tunnels only come from toilets so if you've dismantled the toilets then you're fine.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

StarMinstrel posted:

Is it possible to build more modern, communal cell blocks in this game? Say a block where you have a central lounge, bathroom and then separate rooms? All I see is individual 2x3 jail cells.

Not unmodded. Every cell requires 2x3 space with an individual toilet, bed, and enclosed walls. That said, it wouldn't be hard to replicate a modern prison.

For example, a prison like this:

would not be hard to replicate in the game.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I'm kind of glad that parole works so slowly. A prisoner that's likely to parole is also likely to be one that's (profitably) working in the workshop or at least not causing trouble. In fact, my ideal inmate is a nice prisoner who loves to work during his very very long sentence. An efficient parole system would result in a lot of workshop downtime as you had to certify new prisoners after your current workforce leaves. Plus, since usually only the decent prisoners are being paroled, inevitably your prison would fill up with rear end in a top hat inmates who were stuck doing their whole sentence (and couldn't/wouldn't work).

As it stands now, there doesn't seem to be a penalty for a prisoner who is capable of having a hearing but doesn't because of a backlog. So you sort of get the best of both worlds.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

No wood door on cleaning, they get lots of contraband out of there (poison/sticks).

You can save a lot of money by putting wood doors on cell though. Just be sure to have guards nearby for when they start beating on it since they wont last long, but you only get one or two crazies that'll destroy their cell in 50 prisoners so it's not that bad (if you keep them relatively happy).

I'm also shying away from putting cell doors on cells and instead using staff/wood doors. Not only are they cheaper, but they allow staff to go into the cell without a guard opening it for them, which can be a big timesaver if you end up with a lot of wounded inmates or if the cells need repairs. The only downside I can see is that they would be easier for inmates to destroy, but normally if a prisoner starts breaking poo poo it's going to be during the day when his cell door is probably open anyways.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nielsm posted:

The easiest way to play is definitely build a lovely prison, sell it and use the money to build a better but still mediocre prison. Then sell that and build a proper prison.
When starting a new prison after a sale, the first thing to do is turn off intake, build the minimum offices, and research all the poo poo + hire office staff.

To add to this, when you get $700k or $800k in starting funds, save that file when you first start and then use it as a template for new prisons. I've been starting off the same $850k map for several alphas now whenever I want to build a new prison.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

wild rear end guess: did your kitchen run out of water from over extension of water system?

Is that even possible? I've run some pretty big prisons off of only one water source.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Short Door Control System Tutorial:

As it currently stands, the Door Control System (DCS) is great at some things and terrible at others. DCS is great at making sure only authorized people get into critical areas. Because as of right now only guards can use DCS panels, even an inmate with jail keys can't open a remote door without smashing it. 99% of DCS problems are because the guard who is supposed to man the door control is stuck behind a remote door.

The basics:

Step 1:

Find a door you want to open remotely, and put a door servo next to it. Note the gear part should be in the blank spot where the door opens to run correctly. I like to place it where it looks like the gear is actually opening the door, but that's optional. Note that the servo will work without power, but will endlessly flash a blinking lightning icon if you don't give it power. To stop this, make sure the gear part of the servo is connected to an electrical wire.

Step 2:

Click "Connect" on a DCS panel, then a blue line will appear. Click again on the door servo. Now the DCS panel will open the door servo. Note if you do this backwards it won't work. You can connect servos to other things like pressure pads which I'll explain later.

Places you should use DCS linked doors:

Vehicle Gates

Vehicles are always getting slowed down waiting for some guy to finish what he's doing and unlock the gates. Vehicle gates are great for using DCS because it's highly unlikely there's going to be a guard behind the vehicle gate (essentially outside your prison) who is going to be randomly selected to man the DCS panel. Even if he is, guards can open vehicle gates so there's no risk.

Cells that must be secured with few if any guards

Here a set of guards are stationed in hallways that link to a pod of 6 Supermax cells. In this case, I put a remote door attached to a DCS panel in a security room elsewhere. The reason I made this setup is so that a guard is around to unlock the prisoners' cells for the janitorial staff who clean the rooms. However, even if he's attacked and a prisoner steals his keys, the prisoner can't go anywhere because the remote door can't be opened locally. Since the guard is stationed there (and thus already has a job), he should only leave his post when he gets tired and should minimize the chance of him getting directly assigned to man a DCS panel.

Armories

Armories are another great place to use a remote door linked to a DCS panel because they are rarely visited by guards (except when picking up their tazers after they get certified) and are full of things you'd rather prisoners not have.

Any heavily trafficked area that you'd like to keep a secure door

The visitation and Parole rooms see a bunch of prisoners every day. But, they're also close to the front of my prison and filled with civilians who don't want to be killed by rampaging inmates. Here, a solitary door linked to a DCS panel keeps the rooms relatively secure against damage while making sure inmates can get in and out quickly. Note that this is NOT a remote door. If a guard who is near the entrance gets assigned to run the DCS panel handling these doors, he can still unlock them and get by. The drawback to this design is that if an inmate steals a guard's jail keys, he can bypass all of the doors and make it outside (where he'll be gun downed by the armed guards set to permanent free fire).

Bad places to use Remote Doors:

Security Room Entrances and High Traffic Areas

If you stick Remote Doors everywhere, 99% of the time you'll end up with this situation.

Here, the guard who was newly assigned to man the DCS panel to open the remote door is outside the security office. The guard who previously manned the DCS panel is stuck inside. Since none of the lazy little shits inside the security office will lean over and press the button to open the door, everyone is going to jam themselves as close to the door as possible in a vain attempt to open it (making it very difficult to click on the door to open it). Worse yet, while this is going on no other remote doors linked to that DCS panel will open. The solution?

Pressure Pads

I've added a pressure pad next to the remote door. Now, the door sirvo is set to open if someone uses the DCS panel or steps on the pressure pad. Now, if the situation in the above shot happens the guard who manned the DCS panel (and is leaving to rest or go to another assignment), will press on the pad which will open the remote door. This should keep the system running smoothly.

Lastly, is a bonus shot on my prison. It's as efficient as I can make it.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 1, 2015

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nielsm posted:

- Cannot contain perimeter walls

Sure you can. Just build the perimeter wall first as the outer wall of the building, and then fill in the empty space with building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Slickdrac posted:

Not directly, but you can set two hallway entries to it and set one to Min only, one to PC only, and the library to shared.

Definitely one of the more aggravating aspects to the game.

Agreed. It's silly you can't say Min and Med but not Max. Or Max and Med but not Min. I use the hallway method too, but if the hallway's important enough you can always create little "airlocks" of Min/Med/Max only right outside the room so everyone else can move down the corridor.

• Locked thread