Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, if you want to keep existing walls, zone the foundation up to but not over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I thought it'd be interesting to list and summarise each alpha so far.
code:
 1 - 25 Sep 2012 - First public release
 2 - 18 Oct 2012 - Deployment mode. Intake options.
 3 - 01 Nov 2012 - Fog of war. CCTV. 
 4 - 19 Nov 2012 - Fog of war overhaul.
 5 - 14 Dec 2012 - Staff only sectors. Firemen in emergencies. Foundation tool improvements
 6 - 30 Jan 2013 - Prisoner risk categories, traits, rap sheets and history. Security zoning. Intake control.
 7 - 21 Feb 2013 - Only guards can open doors. Lockdown and bangup modes. Mary Sue biographies from backers.
 8 - 20 Mar 2013 - Steam integration. Planning mode. More doors.
 9 - 24 Apr 2013 - Jobs for prisoners, including cleaning, laundry and proper workshops. Visitation.
10 - 30 May 2013 - Steam workshop for sharing prisons. Anger management including riots. Linux version. laundry refinements.
11 - 28 Jun 2013 - Performance optimisations. Land expansion. Prisoner releases. Dirty laundry riots no longer a thing.
12 - 31 Jul 2013 - Contraband. Search powers. Optimisation of the needs system.
13 - 29 Aug 2013 - Escape tunnels. Punishment policies. search refinements.
14 - 02 Oct 2013 - guard dogs and kennels. Sale of prisons.
15 - 29 Nov 2013 - Mod system improvements. Performance optimisations. staffrooms for exhaustion
16 - 27 Dec 2013 - Wood industry. Steam workshop for mods. Medium sec level segregation (before just Max, Min or general)
17 - 31 Jan 2014 - Armed guards. Forestry zones. Further mod system improvements.
18 - 28 Feb 2014 - Reform programs. Prisoner experience. Armoury upgrades.
19 - 27 Mar 2014 - Financial system improvements with more grant types. Game rebalancing. Exports zone.
20 - 29 Apr 2014 - Prisoner and prison grading. Failure conditions. Finance tweaks to curtail share tanking using riots etc.
21 - 30 May 2014 - Narcotics. Advanced regime control. Language selection. Prisoners surrender (sometimes).
22 - 27 Jun 2014 - Bug bash and general tweaking.
23 - 31 Jul 2014 - Remote access. CCTV overhaul. Advanced logic! Contraband smuggling refinements.
24 - 29 Aug 2014 - Mod system upgraded. Confidential informants. Remote access refinements. Canteen spoon nerf.
25 - 25 Sep 2014 - Reputations (i.e. Strong, Cop Killer, etc.). Protective custody and supermax categories. More CI refinements.
26 - 30 Oct 2014 - Bug bash II, focusing on kitchen annoyances.
27 - 28 Nov 2014 - Food supply/demand system. Reform program scheduler. Phone tap object. Reporting for awful contributed bios.
What really struck me was that, month after month, they've put an update out, usually with something new or improved that's worthwhile. The only time they took a longer break was between 14 & 15 when one of the devs' partners had a baby.

There's still a few things to add, the big one obviously being gangs, but they have also mentioned things like a concession stand (i.e. prisoners could buy things with their meagre earnings from work - not sure whether that's going to include a black economy but who knows) and having an actual point for the electric chair (which seems more and more like something they just threw in for the sake of the tutorial).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Endgame: you end up taking a ride in Old Sparky.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Usually I go the Get Smart approach to the entrance, at least two doors to begin with and probably another when you unlock remote access and have that all set up. Obviously you'll also need to think about how you'll use perimeter walls and whether you'll have another inner boundary fence inside to avoid contraband drops - I find that a bit hard to plan ahead when the prison is still expanding.

Now that truck drivers are a thing, it makes workers just that little more efficient at bringing stuff in. There really should be no reason to allow prisoners outside unless they've been released.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

DEFCON gave me the Fear. Sort of like Papers Please, but a lot worse.

I thought it was really interesting that they chose to shelve development of Subversion when they realised that while the tech they developed for it was pretty cool (and it was - the procedural city generator was fascinating to watch), they were having trouble making a good game out of it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've usually gone with something along these lines, tweaking as necessary.

6-7 SHOWER
7-8 FREETIME
8-11 WORK
11-1 EAT
1-2 YARD
2-3 FREETIME
3-6 WORK
6-8 EAT
8-10 FREETIME
10- BED

I will stick some toilets, phones and pool tables in the canteen but that's about it. Yardtime is to get everyone out of the canteen when they're done. It's only an hour so I don't put any other crap since they've got plenty of time to sort out their business. It's a regime, not a holiday camp!

Main rationale for not having the first meal until 11 is making sure I have prisoners helping out in the kitchen, and to make sure everyone is good and hungry when it's time to eat.

I wouldn't mind half-hour increments, though (I would certainly shorten shower time to half an hour and maybe make meal times 90 minutes, possibly fitting in a breakfast) and I think the issue of having prisoners dawdle in the canteen is something that can be addressed.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Senso posted:

There's already puke everywhere so it's pretty much already like Theme Hospital.

...wait not in your prisons?
Same thing happened in the Rollercoaster Tycoon series.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

Reading those posts was incredible. Always remember our 'community' and 'filter' is 10 bucks. There are pieces of poo poo on these boards that beggar belief.
Yeah, and to think the amount of lovely posters is less than average than the internet in general.

Anyway, assuming they haven't taken all of January off, I wonder what'll be in the next update.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Note to self: make sure two guards with tasers are present for any hearings.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

If you like your base builders/managers it's well worth the sale price I reckon.

It'll take you a few new prisons to get the hang of things, then you can start going hogwild with gimmick prisons or go the other route and aim for super-efficiency. The ability to sell a prison when you get bored with it and use the proceeds towards a new build is a real boon from that angle.

There aren't too many crazy bugs any more, but on the upside there aren't too many annoying bugs either. Once they introduced traits the prisoners became a bit more distinct, like there's always that one guy who ODs right before work and the guy who's always digging tunnels.

Also, I'm bad at snitch management. Even with separate regimes and areas for protective custody, snitches usually don't make it past 48 hours after intake.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, I wonder how effective it would be to quarantine any new prisoners with unknown traits until you find out what they're about.

A snitch went to the chapel and he found God. Maybe. :(

That was pretty hosed up.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

2 hours for each session instead of 4 would be an improvement. I don't mind the concept but I've had to have those guys going 12 hours a day and, like you, it's making no headway on the backlog. At least I've had no reoffenders yet.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ModestMuse posted:

Wow, my prisoners decided to beat the living crap out of my spiritual leader for about 2 hours. There were 8 or 9 prisoners chasing him from cell to cell just wailing on him until enough guards could eventually KO all the rioters.

Luckily for the spiritual leader, gods devine love has made him invincible. He withstood their attacks and went back to the broken remains of his chapel to continue to spread the good word.

"I kick arse for the Lord!"

and this time he didn't die horribly!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

quote:

New staff : The Lawyer
Unlocked in the usual way through Bureaucracy, and requires his own office.
The lawyer grants access to a variety of legal loopholes and new facilities for your prison.

- Minimum cell size removal
Prison Cells can be built to any size - they are no longer to obey the legal minimum
of 3x2 metres. Note they must still contain a bed and a toilet.

- Indeterminate sentences
Prisoners can now be assigned lockup or solitary confinement that remains in place
until you say otherwise. This is a massive breach of their human rights, but the Lawyer
will allow you to skirt the issue and do it anyway.

- Death Row
Opens up the opportunity and responsibility of executing prisoners sentenced to death.
:stare:

Can't be more than a few alphas until, err, beta.

Do people pull up and have tailgate parties outside the prison when someone is to be executed? :911:

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 27, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The tutorial is grim as gently caress and I've only needed to go through once.

At least there's actually a point for Mr Sparky now at least. :gonk:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, just to be thorough, I will get the workers to dismantle all the toilets in a block if I think the inmates are up to something.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well, with the death row mechanic now in, the only two things that are missing I can think of that they've talked about is gangs and the concessionary (mentioned way back when they introduced jobs for prisoners, so they have something to spend their meagre funds on). Both which I assume will take a bit of nutting out for balancing and such.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

That's a good idea. I usually do Shower>Freetime>Yard>EAT, with the Yard being directly outside the Canteen. Do you find that the prisoners have a problem Eating within the hour (do you double them up, maybe)?
I usually have to give them two hours, because there's always a bunch of dumbshits who pissfart around the canteen entrance for a hour even though they're hungry.

If you could do half-hour increments for the schedule that'd make some things a bit more flexible, like if you choose to have shower time (which is not always advisable because of the aggro) everyone is usually done within half an hour.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you can't actually "run out" of water at all, but the small pipes have a maximum range. I'm not sure what that amount is exactly because I've never actually hit it, but it's certainly low enough that you can't just use little pipes through your entire prison and expect everything to work.

Generally the way I lay things out is have big pipes surrounding the buildings and then running smaller pipes out from wherever the closest big pipe is. Sometimes I have a big pipe cutting through the middle of a big building, but you should generally try to avoid that because prisoners can tunnel through big pipe tiles much faster. You should also definitely avoid ever having your large pipes go outside the outside wall.
Ohhhh a penny just dropped. My practice was to run the trunk pipe through the middle of each cell block (usually under the toilets!) for convenience when building the cells and hooking everything up. Will probably revise that.

I've never had anyone actually manage to escape via the pipeline as I get paranoid and run searches on cell blocks fairly often, but yeah, I'm going to rethink that.

Usually my escape attempts have been more of the Benny Hill Yakkety Sax variety where the prisoner bumrushes the front gates.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've gotten back into the game after a few months and it seems like the prisoners are a lot more cunning with their tunnelling. I did the "don't route large water pipes through cellblocks" thing and that didn't hold them back at all.

I started blocking in the perimeter wall but only in stages, since doing the whole lot at once is exxy, so they just make a beeline for the edge.

In other matters, hopefully they fix the spam thing so it'll actually be worthwhile having a mailroom. (We might have to wait until their usual monthly update.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

If you've been sitting on the fence about picking this up, Prison Architect is $5 on the Steam sale and it is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The only issue I can see with keeping the pump across the road is that the main pipeline is basically a highway for tunnelling escapees.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Being the first pass with the new feature I'd expect they'll finesse how gangs over the next couple of alphas. It's starting to look good for the actual full release, since the store's another feature they'd discussed in the past and now put in.

Anyway did the mailroom fixes include a nerf on the endless supply of mail or whatever it was that made setting up a mailroom a bad idea?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've never had a fire start in my prisons :confused:

Then again I don't try to make Boggo Road or whatever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Maybe, if they gave staff traits, they also made it so new staff had to come by bus as well instead of just teleporting exactly where you want them. Which would make things "interesting" if you had a riot kicking off but not enough guards to deal with it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Anyway I don't think it'd add any more fun to the game. Traits for prisoners add a challenge, maybe not so much for employees, and steering around that kind of micromanagement is probably for the better considering the game's focus.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Not really sure the "Black Hole of Calcutta" approach to prison management is that sound.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

When the gently caress did communicable diseases become a thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

hailthefish posted:

When they added events in the alpha before release.
Ahh, I didn't know it was amongst those.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Pro-click.
http://www.dezeen.com/2015/11/11/opinion-will-wiles-prison-architect-computer-game-grim-lesson-real-architects-graveyard-utopian-spirit/

quote:

If you desire, you can set up a high-security Hell, a sprawling Panopticon of discipline and punishment that operates like a battery farm, squeezing every luckless convict and square metre for every possible dime. Some of the builds on Introversion's blog are the stuff of nightmares. And design along these lines brings its own administrative challenges.

Or you can try to set up and run a comfortable, functional, clean and humane facility – a "nice" prison. And here the game really starts to dig in.

Even when built with the best of intentions, a prison can turn into a filthy, violent hellhole practically overnight. Time and again, I tried to build pleasant Scandi-style prisons of small cell blocks with individual cells, windows, and ample meals, showers, recreation and education, only for them to go Shawshank on me.
This guy gets it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Prison Architect - Riot Grrrls

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

widespread posted:

Oh god, please let the extra complexity include multi-tiered floors. It has to at this point.

And then we can make that one kinda prison where the guard station is in the center of a circular room and the cells are all along the wall of said room.
I doubt it'll happen because pathfinding and making an elegant UI to deal with it would be a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It doesn't seem like they spent a huge amount of time on it, although they let PA rest for a while it (and have now had another poke at it, obviously) and seem to be starting something new this week.

I like the way they try out things like Subversion and sometimes it doesn't work out but go, "well, we still learned something". They've had a few close scrapes, though.

• Locked thread