Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
bitching OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Pyroi posted:

Imagine slowly infiltrating the gang until the entire gang is made of snitches. What happens then?

They all stab each other in the shower. Standard fare for a prison.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
How do I record a timelapse of my prison being built? Is it something I can keep adding on to over different playsessions, or do I have to restart it each time I load the game?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcnzY49lQY

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Nalesh posted:

How do you peoples dog patrols look? Still trying to figure out a good way of keeping the tunnels away.

I usually have mine running along the outside walls during sleep / free time and on the inside of the prison at chokepoints at other times like evening meal. It makes sure every dude is sniffed before they return to their cell. I also have metal detectors at the entrance of every block to help counter digging.

Apparently if you leave a little gap in your outer wall (like a door locked open) and cover it with armed guards, it prompts prisoners to cancel their tunneling early and make a break for it.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

super fart shooter posted:

Is protective custody still just a "seal them in a self-sufficient block behind a staff only airlock forever" kinda thing? I haven't played in awhile (since before they added logistics) and I just now found out that a kitchen can only serve one canteen, which means that I have to build a separate kitchen for my protective custody block. I was thinking about letting them into my main canteen during off hours, but then I remembered about how you couldn't ever let your protective and maxsec guys out or they would mix into the genpop areas and cause trouble, thus defeating the whole purpose. Did they ever really address this problem, because now that literacy and spirituality have been added to the list of needs, it's becoming more and more of a pain in the rear end to build those self-sufficient blocks...

When you're assigning kitchens or laundry you can shift click to assign more than one place.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

I really hope they add a 'cause of death' report eventually, maybe only after they get put on the morgue slab and a doc looks at them, but with how big and hectic prisons can get it can be an absolute mystery how someone died sometimes.

This would be great. I'd like some improvements to the UI as well, like Dungeon Keeper-esque notifications that pop up when somebody is released or whatever.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm not sure if I like this new cell system. I think it makes the game a bit too complex

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

This club has been in my prison longer than many of the prisoners :catstare:

haha that's pretty cool. most of my contraband gets hoovered up with random cell block searches and searches for any punishment

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Personally I wish there was a way to turn off the auto placement of lights when building foundations. I'd rather that there weren't any lights anyway, the placing of them gets on my nerves!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah that would be cool. I don't know how it would work either but something you see a lot in prison movies/TV shows is the old "messages written on toilet paper and smuggled to another part of the prison."

Actually something that probably would work would be if staff members could be subverted to do things for prisoners. It would require staff to be given more individual personality than they have now, but it would make a lot of sense if particularly corrupt guards could be bribed by gang leaders to pass notes from supermax to their lieutenants in gen pop, since guards generally move all over the prison and would be the perfect conduit.

I don't think it will happen since that would be a pretty fundamental change to how the game works so close to the official "release", but it would be a fairly natural way for gangs to communicate between isolated cell blocks.

Corruption is bound to be one of the new features before release. Maybe even in the next patch? It's such a massive thing in prisons. I can see the guard system being fleshed out at the same time, maybe attributes or a levelling / skill system for guards? EG Taking classes in conflict management would make prisoners calmer?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

MisterOblivious posted:

You don't need an empty square for a showerhead.

That drain won't work though?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

MisterOblivious posted:

Not on it's own. I tile the cells with grates.

Why? Just box off the shower with grates.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
There needs to be some sort of notification system that provides reports on what has happened in your prison. Kind of like Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius. Something that will say "X was involved in a fight" "X has been released" "X, Y, Z have been found with contrabrand" or something along those lines. At the moment I feel a major disconnect between running the prison and actually understanding what happens in there. Everything is too convoluted if you didn't witness it happen. I.E finding out who has been in a fight is a case of either looking at the dead body and the persons sent to solitary.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
It's a shame that you can't execute people for murdering others in your prison. I don't think they would mess around IRL, letting the same prisoner kill scores and scores of people getting away without any consequence other than being locked down

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

OTOH we'd be slightly getting away from the point of the game (prison management/builder) and into courthouse simulator.

Could be cool, but I'd rather they polish the main game first and give us those information screens to sperg on.

BillBear posted:

The devs are worried about making death row unserious due to how relevant it is today in the US, they want to avoid making your prisons turn into death factories full of prisoners being prepared for the chair, they want it to be rare and allowing murderers in your prison be put on death row would do the opposite, you'll have people allowing murder to go on just to grab that 10k cash. There's also the fact the devs always want there to be doubt if the person is actually guilty or not, having guys on DR you know for certain did the deed destroys that element and turns death row into a easy, guilt free way of making mad money.

However you can always easily edit the save, so there's that too. :v:

I can understand how the devs want to do this, but it is still ridiculous that a prisoner can go on murdering and murdering without any form of consequence. Maybe they get sent to court (with you risking a riot, or having to call in riot guards to get them out) and then have a certain percentage of chance of becoming available in the death row queue?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
If you're wanting to put events onto your old save, you can just bung EnabledEvents true into your file

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Guards also seem to prefer to man wiretap stations rather than remote door ones, so bear that in mind. I have a switch next to the wiretaps so I can toggle them on and off whenever I have an intelligence gap that needs filling and I don't have any CIs that can provide new info

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

1. Use 'Search Cellblock' (click on an item in a cell) during sleep time. This does not trigger the alarm that shakedown does.

2. Select a dog(or two or three) and have them move past an area where you think tunnels might be. If a bunch of flags come up, there's a good chance the nearby toilet has tunnels coming out of it. Uninstalling a toilet is a 100% guaranteed way of revealing a tunnel.

3. But like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I tend to do sweeps (either shakedowns or cellblock searches) if the 'tool' supply in the intelligence panel goes red. And of course have metal detectors literally everywhere (I know they can steal wood tools from the workshop but at least you can eliminate the metal ones)

They've recently buffed the search success percentage on individual toilets, too. Cell Block Searches have a lower chance of success, so if you can narrow it down to a handful of cells you can just issue search orders on each individual toilets. I would also search cells (selecting the toilet for searching first, then the "search cell" button once the toilet has been searched) where you've got intel from CIs to contain tools such as pickaxes as well as spoons.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 12, 2015

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Trying to think up some new designs for my cell blocks, something that looks cool. Post pics of yours!

I'm also trying to figure out an overall arrangement of my prison. I think I'm going to split it into sectors depending on the security level, maybe with smaller cell blocks arranged around a yard / canteen with an education building nearby.

Share yours!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

how the gently caress does a third of my prison manage to convince people to throw phones over the fence to them every loving day

Disassemble phones, dezone visitation

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
BABIES N BABES

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Can someone just summarise what is said in this video as it's mainly just rambling poo poo

All I got was that they're going to release Prison Architect 2.0 within the next 4 to 5 months because they want to make PA a classic simulator that people will still play even 10 years down the line

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I was hoping for some sort of "incident report" thing that I could read at night, detailing all the fights / searches / releases / punishments in the past day or so.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Their Scanner Something game took a nose dive so they've returned to PA with a new update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FmOacal6Q

Adds more complex staff needs, staff can strike

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread