Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Foehammer posted:

Yeah, mouse over it, press Tab to change the selection from the light to the door, and then right-click.

Well that changes things, thanks a bunch.

OP looks great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

a worthy uhh posted:

My standard policy is Search Him & Cell for every offense, 6 hours solitary for lesser offenses, 12 hours solitary for worse offenses. No punishment for luxuries. Is that bad :ohdear: :black101:

Mine is basically the same except for instances of violence they get at least 18 hours in solitary, 36 if it's an attack on a staff member, and for no reason at all luxuries get like 48 hours in the hole or more because it amuses me. Anyone who I notice overdose gets manually put in the hole for 24 hours to get through withdrawal.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Minarch posted:

I was just thinking, could you save space by having one cell open into another, into another and so on so you don't need a hallway in between the cellblocks? Or is that just asking for trouble.

Yes, I think so. No, not if you make the interior cells a different security level that's on lockdown when the outer ones open and before they close. At least that would minimize the danger I think. At any rate this gives me an idea to toy around with, so thanks.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Megasabin posted:

How do you figure out the real costs of things? It seems like everything has a hidden cost. When I lay foundation as I drag the mouse and fill the grid with with green shading showing me how much I'm building it auto-calculates the price based on the amount of tiles I'm filling (50 per). However as soon as my dudes go and actually build the foundation, it starts charging me another huge chunk of money for concrete, and then towards the end of the foundation it charges me again for lights. The price ends up being a large amount more than I anticipated and planned for.

How do I anticipate these extra charges? Is foundation laying the only time this comes into play?

Also any tipes for construction workers in the beginning? Is the starting amount fine or do you guys hire more right after the bat? I guess general Day 1 hiring tips would be good.

You can cancel the lights, but that might just be their installation, actually getting them to not be purchased might be tricky, but you can go negative for stuff like that. I guess my tip would be to start small at first, maybe try and work the tech tree to the forestry so you can make extra money, but it's probably not necessary really. Start with a holding cell, let them stew for a bit while you make some money to build cells. Focusing on the grants and admin workers to make more money helps a lot in the beginning of a new prison.

I think I double the construction workers immediately, like if there's 8 to start I get it up to 16, and then double it again when I start to have enough cash flow to basically be constructing cells every few days. After that just increase them as needed I guess. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I don't think they're that expensive compared to guards.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I realize that all of these responses about canceling the lights doesn't actually answer the question.

Megasabin posted:

How do you figure out the real costs of things?

I'm not 100% on this but it looks like there's a light for every 4x4 area of foundation...actually I'm not counting the exterior walls right. Might have to mess around with it some, but looking at old screenshots it looks like a 12x12 room got 9 lights, lights are 30 bucks a pop, so an additional 270 dollars. Light placement/frequency seems a bit fickle, or maybe the lights got hosed with in these screenshots. At any rate they're not causing the rooms to cost that much more.

Okay, I looked it up and the Foundation cost is 10 bucks a square, plus 10 bucks for concrete and steel, so it's double what it says it'll be unless you already have concrete and steel. I'm guessing those materials are bought in set amounts, so the first Foundation will more than likely be a bit more than double, plus lights, and then the one after will be less than double, plus lights, because you'll have leftover concrete and steel from the first building.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
My only fire happened in the showers :psyduck:

Shower riot after like 2~3 days of straight shower only scheduling. The 2 shower rooms got mostly destroyed and the fire + riot resulted in I think 65 deaths. It was like my second prison and was pretty awful.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Trabisnikof posted:

If you sell your prison you can keep playing it but you don't get to ever sell it again.

Unless you save in a different slot, then sell it, and save the new prison over that slot.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Those look fairly expandable, just need to add on and break down some walls.

PantsBandit posted:

I figure my next step will be to clone the current cell block to make sure I've got plenty of room for the foreseeable future, I'll probably just place it on the other side of the yard for easy access to the facilities. I guess I could hold off on that for the moment though seeing as how my holding cell is more than big enough to prevent overcrowding for the moment.

Anybody have any suggestions based on what's visible there? I've already got deployment and prisoner labor at this point.

Needs more guards. Also the generator shouldn't be in a corner like that, you can put capacitors on all four sides (do corners count? I forget, I feel like they don't, like the max is 12 capacitors). You can build another one if needed but just make sure the two generator's wires never connect or they'll short each other out. An official Storage Room might be good, that can be outside, also I generally zone the other side of the street as Exports so things like lumber and license plates can get sold off.

Looks like a good start, room for improvement but this one can probably be managed and expanded for a good while.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Looking good, next immediate thing would be dog patrols outside in case someone gets to tunneling I think. Kennel will fit right in outside the Armory I think.

There's a decent amount of stuff you can micromanage, and lot of was added since the last time I was playing this a bunch (still fuzzy on how I get CIs). I lost a lot of time with this thing while working full time, it's my fourth most played game on Steam, actually probably third since I'm pretty sure Portal glitched out and I didn't play it for 72 hours. So be careful I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cerebral Wolf posted:

Is this worth picking up?...

Is there a demo or anything like that available?

Yeah, although it might be prudent to wait for the Steam sale...or just get it on Humble Bundle like PantsBandit, 12 bucks is pretty great for this, I think I paid ten during a Steam sale and I've put almost 50 hours into it. They add features almost every month.

Huh, didn't realize Humble Bundle was having a Spring Sale thing...do they have encores like Steam? Might be worth waiting to see if this hits 6 again.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yes, corners count.

Cool, couldn't remember for sure.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Confidential Informants reveal prisoner traits, as well as who is marked for death. Get a few prisoners in solitary and recruit then.

I stopped playing right before the CI update and I don't understand how you get them, like I had a decent amount of guys in Solitary and there didn't seem to be a recruit option with any of them. Was it just bad luck or am I missing an option somewhere?

• Locked thread