Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Megasabin posted:

How do I get people to go to class? I took the education grant, built a classroom with 20 desks, but I can't get anyone to use it. I scheduled the basic education class on the reform page, and assigned 3 horus of "work" time into the regime to get them to go to class, but no one uses the classroom. Do I somehow need to assign a staff member to teach them or something? When I look at the reform page, under the one class I scheduled it says "ROOM IN USE" (or something like that) in big red capital letters, but as far as I can tell my classroom isn't used at all.

Something must still be missing. Is your classroom actually a classroom? Does it have all the proper furniture? Is it actually a room with walls and doors around it?

You also need to have enough work time, but you know that, and you can't have 2 classes in the same room at the same time.

If it's none of those and you still can't solve it, post the prison somewhere and I'll have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Two quite important features, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Scheduling meals & classes is very big and will be a great help, but it's not really adding something new like the reputation system, or the automatic doors and logic system.

Is this a sign that they're getting closer to being feature complete? Or am I reading way too much in a single update?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Slime posted:

The way guards work could definitely use some work. I tried setting up remote access doors, and they worked fine right up until the guard went off for a break and the one who came to replace him on the door control was behind a remote access door. It wouldn't let any other guard take over the job even though the guard couldn't get to the job, so I had to open the door myself.

You can wire two control stations to the same door as a backup too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a good guide on how to prison layout? I get all autistic about layouts and like to have it optimized but have no idea how to do that.

Optimized how? Cheap? Efficient? Secure? Aesthetically pleasing?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

pandaK posted:

Do staff members sleep? All of my workers just start to mull around the delivery area come night time and don't do anything even when boxes start piling up.

E: also am I supposed to be using jail cell doors for the initial first doors into my prison? I noticed my workers can't open those to access deliveries without a cop around.

No.

And yes. Either let some guards patrol the front door or install a remote door control. Or both. I always use the large jail doors at the front but the principle is the same. (I always make an airlock type thing too with at least two doors after each other.) The front door is your first and last line of defense, treat it like one.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
66% on Steam now, that's a steal. Buy it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Airlock systems are pretty secure plus they look cool. I used to put a guard on patrol to open the doors, but using remote control is much better.

As for tunneling prisoners, surround the cell blocks with perimeter walls, but leave a door open somewhere out of the way, and have dogs patrolling between the cell blocks and the outer door. They'll beeline for the 'gap' in the perimeter wall but your dogs will always find them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Just zone it so they're not allowed to go anywhere else?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah building them their own canteen is the safest way to keep PCs actually protected.

A recent tweet by a devs suggested they are working on meal delivery (to solitary prisoners), so maybe they'll do in-cell delivery too

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/568802149989285888

Aw gently caress yeah, that's what I was waiting for.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

yoloer420 posted:

How do you guys manage shakedowns in large prisons?

I'm at about 1200 and a shakedown disrupts pathfinding to the point that a few hundred starve to death, riots start and everyone starts to kill each other. After locking everything down and gradually letting people out to eat I had about 300 inmates left :(

Don't do a full shakedown, just do cell block by cell block.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Nalesh posted:

Are there any competent lpers of this out there?

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialStuffPlus makes a new prison for almost every alpha

And for a different kind of competent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9nWAPY77E&list=PLYqfXQ-ztmZJxzxqeXNVlFPelhV9wpfG0

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Away all Goats posted:

Great write up! Do you know if there's any advantage linking multiple doors to multiple systems? Can two DCS 'share' the load and maybe speed up the reaction times of doors being opened?

Yeah you can do that. I don't know if it helps with speed, but there's certainly an advantage in having a backup DCS.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ShootaBoy posted:

I haven't played in like, 6 months and I'm wondering if you can have more than 1 inmate in a single regular cell. I'm thinking of trying a bit of a more 'realistic' style when I get back to playing and I wanna do cellmates.

Nope.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
No, it only has to be one way. But it has to be the right way.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Bunk beds!!! Dormitories!!!

I really have to make a new prison in this new version, it's been way too long since I made one.

And who else noticed the '[baby] play' and '[baby] sleep' in the needs screen at the end of the video? Are they going to make bringing up babies in prison a thing? And does that point to having women prisoners too?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like to imagine they're starting a new thing where they throw in some random 'hint' in the UI that means nothing, and then never talk about it, purely as an exercise in winding up the minutiae spergs who immediately go into analysis and speculation overdrive (like what is now happening on YouTube). And then next video it's gone and nobody explains anything

My best bet is it's some internal programming term though. I can't possibly imagine they'd put babies in the game, it's just too out there :psyduck:

Well it wasn't exactly hard to see, in fact I imagine it would be pretty hard not to notice.

Analysis & speculation overdrive mode: once you decide to have female prisoners, what would be the new gameplay mechanics that could make it interesting? You'd have to separate the male & female population (*), but beyond that I can't think of much else.

But it's interesting and if they're planning something in that direction I really want to know what they come up with.

*: Are there no mixed prisons anywhere? Surely someone somewhere must have tried it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
What was that about minutiae spergs again?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
In case anybody didn't notice, there's a new update video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQwBZ0f7xFo

Haven't watched all of it but it seems to be all about the console edition.

Anyone know if the interface improvements are finding their way back into the PC edition as well? Not everything will make sense but some of it seems very useful.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't get this update. It seems like needless complexity that isn't even that complex. What's the point?

Don't they have better things to do? Like making more types of flooring, I want to pimp my prisons.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I didn't even realize that SS was out, that probably has something to do with it. But it's on sale now and the steam reviews are good so I'm getting it now. +1 sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Any ideas about how I can make my staff smarter about taking breaks and getting food?

I have several staff rooms spread around the prison, all served by kitchens and with stacks of staff meals available, plus even a staff canteen.

But for some reason my guards seem to prefer standing around in the security room or reception, just being pissed off. I tried turning my security room into a staff room but that made them just flee into the armory. I have plenty of guards so they could just go to a nearby staff room to rest, but they don't. Well, not as much as they should or could anyway.

And when they do take a break, for some reason they seem to like getting food from god knows where to then run all the way to the other side of the prison and eat their meal just about anywhere I put a chair.

Why don't they just go to the nearest staff room instead of wasting their breaks on running around to the most inconvenient locations imaginable?

edit: never mind, found a solution! All it took was increasing the percentage of staff that was allowed to take a break, which defaults to 10%. I changed it to 25% and within about a day my staff morale has now increased to 100% (from about 40%), only 10 of them are exhausted instead of 60, and the 'free guards' counter in the top has even gone from 15 to 30 on average.

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 5, 2017

• Locked thread