Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
"his whole body now covered in the creature’s foul fluid"

Oh yes, this novel's pretty hot ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
42,000... Still think I can do it, but I'm damned glad we're finishing on a weekend.

I somehow managed to rattle off 800 words in half an hour describing a city, so I guess I just need to describe ten more cities and I'm golden.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, today's the day I fall behind.

It's amazing how a utility room full of poo poo water saps your will to write. On the plus side the Roto-Rooter guy was pretty loving proud of the tangle of tree roots he wrestled out of our pipes.

I'll try and pull a double session tomorrow, that should get me back on track.

skids234
Jan 10, 2003
Done, thank gently caress.

After doing this ten times, I think I'm through with it. Don't think I'll be back next year. But hey, at least I got to the end and didn't just wither away part way through the month.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So when is the "revise your horrible NaNoWriMo novel into something semi-literate" thread going up? I told myself I was going to wait a week before I looked at the thing again, but last night I compiled it into one Word document, put it on my Kindle, read the first 10% and looooool it's so terrible.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Didn't get the double writing shift I had hoped for, but this was still one of the best writing sessions I've had. Still behind, but I'm at 46,003 and in the home stretch, both for the month and for the plot.

The army has surrounded the city for the final siege, and Lady Spy infiltrated to pay a merchant a nocturnal visit to give him a biblical "leave now, lest thou be consumed" warning so he can give an impartial account of the impending firebombing.

Tomorrow comes the war crime.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Boom, Baby! 50,971 words!

Sing along with me!

(Row Your Boat)
Gloat Gloat Gloaty-Gloat
Fifty-Thousand Words!
Gloataly Gloataly Gloataly Gloat
I'm a loving boss!

Life was weird there as the end because I started realizing I was writing parts of the book that were out of order. I went the whole drat story without explaining the motivation of Scar Whisper, the protagonist, and was like "I'm 41,000 words in! What now?!"

Not only was it fun, but little pieces of the character started falling into place. It was easy, because I already knew her.

Oh, the Feels when I was done, you guys. The feels!

Annnnd for good messure.

I like to be a sore winner.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Every gloater is fully justified, I think. Writing 50,000 words is a hell of an achievement for most people.

I have the house entirely to myself this weekend. I'm doing my last 7,000 words in 1,000 word sprints, with a break and a reward at the end of each. I can do this.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Nearly at the last day with 10,000 words to go. I'm pretty happy to even reach 40,000, but I might pull an allnighter and do some sprints. Finally hitting that 50,000 would be pretty sweet.

Grimwit posted:

:woop: Congrats, you rightfully smug bastard.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Maugrim posted:

I'm doing my last 7,000 words in 1,000 word sprints, with a break and a reward at the end of each. I can do this.

Tough, but possible!

You can doo eet!

Aphra Bane posted:

:woop: Congrats, you rightfully smug bastard.

Finally, I can use this emoto!
:smuggo:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Grimwit posted:

Sing along with me!

(Row Your Boat)
Gloat Gloat Gloaty-Gloat
Fifty-Thousand Words!
I'm a loving boss!

Life was weird there as the end because I started realizing I was writing parts of the book that were out of order. I went the whole drat story without explaining the motivation of Scar Whisper, the protagonist, and was like "I'm 41,000 words in! What now?!"

Not only was it fun, but little pieces of the character started falling into place. It was easy, because I already knew her.

Oh, the Feels when I was done, you guys. The feels!

Annnnd for good messure.

Congrats :D is there a link where we can check your book out, or are you going the editing/self-publishing route?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

skids234 posted:

But hey, at least I got to the end and didn't just wither away part way through the month.
Oh sure. Just call me out why don't you.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

no they will not posted:

Congrats :D is there a link where we can check your book out, or are you going the editing/self-publishing route?

Two years ago, I put my NaNoWriMo book up on a blogspot as I was writing it. Not a great idea.
I'mma edit and try to get them published. Should be at least an interesting mistake.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

1,882 words to go! :woop:

I should probably finish describing the city getting shelled and firebombed, but I'm spent. Tomorrow I do the epilogue and call this thing DONE (until it's time to edit and revise it into oblivion).

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
3700 to go. If I can get it to 2000 before I go to bed, fantastic.

I had a lot of bad moments this month where I really thought about giving up, but I've done it around 5 times and never NOT finished, I've just usually done it without a ton of bad family news on my shoulders at the same time.

EDIT: Finished it before bed, couldn't go to sleep with anything left to do. Novel's got at least another 20,000 before it can be a real novel, and probably more than that, because 70K is short for a thriller and there's a whole subplot I might cut. So that's on the docket for the next few weeks, but the pressure is off.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The last day dawns on the kingdom of NaNoWriMo.

2500 words to go and I have nothing else to do today. This will be easy.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Ugh, I'm conceding defeat for another year. 46,000 words, but with only an hour left there's no way I'm squeezing that last 4000 in on time, short of mashing my keyboard non-stop. Oh well. I didn't want those winner perks anyway! :shepface:

Bring on the revision stage.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Grimwit posted:

Sing along with me!

(Row Your Boat)
Gloat Gloat Gloaty-Gloat
Fifty-Thousand Words!
I'm a loving boss!

This just made me laugh like a fool for far too long.

And I'm done, although like most years I forgot to update on the Nanowrimo site somewhere in the middle of the month and couldn't be bothered to log back in. Oh well. I'm sure I missed out on all sorts of annoying pep talks.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
An hour left? Move to the UK. I have 11 hours left, 1500 words to go :)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

55,131. Thank god for holiday weekends.

Also thank god for lead-lined vaults like the one I'm going to bury this thing in lest it ever see the light of day.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Well I did it. Hopefully I can make it good at some point in the future.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

PoshAlligator posted:

Well I did it. Hopefully I can make it good at some point in the future.

High five, I did it too.

I'm actually quite excited to get editing, but also, I have important things to do like feeding myself, Christmas shopping, wedding planning, reading, transcribing, programming, emails, housework, laundry...

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

3,500 words yesterday and 2,500 today puts me over the top. I've still got probably at least 15,000 words to go in the story though and I do need to flesh out some earlier parts that I'd raced over before I can start to rewrite properly so I'm not done just yet. Nice to hit 50,000 on time though. Barely on time, but still.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IT'S OVER! :woop:50,370 words!:woop:

Not really where I was hoping to be when I started the month, but I'm still proud of how I did this year. Except for these past few days, i was pretty consistently over the daily goals the site gives and I only ended up taking two days off - one planned, one unplanned.

Now to ignore it for a month while I play Dragon Age and Super Smash Bros., and do all the other poo poo I wished I was doing while I was forcing myself to keep typing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
50,033 :woop:

No writing for a week, just drinking and catching up with working out. Celebrating by having the first fire in our fireplace since we moved in during last nanowrimo. It's a relief to be through.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Just verified at 50,085 words.

Absolutely nowhere near the end of the story, although I did manage to wrap things up with an Act I denounment for the last chapter. (Assuming a three-act structure.)

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Wooo! Winners!

Whoever's left, you've got four hours (according to my clock).

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
i did it

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
didn't win, don't care. was using it to further my writing, met some new friends. congrats to those who finished!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, I wish I'd seen this thread halfway through the month when I decided to try and tackle this thing for the first time. I'd never even heard of it until a friend told me about it. Initially I thought "man, I'm going to have to do that next year", but I realized that there was no reason not to do it this year, even though I had nothing planned. I think my first entry (which clocked in at around 700 words and I considered "a good start", lolololol) was somewhere around the 18th. I just fiddled around with it, half expecting myself to give up, until last week. From Sunday night at around 10:30 until about 20 minutes ago, I managed to bang out just over 32,000 words to hit 50,068. I practically locked myself in the bedroom and wrote almost 9,000 of that today, just to make the deadline.

Most surprisingly, I'm not actually that unhappy with the story, so far. It still needs another 10,000 or so and then I get to start revising it, but I'm going to take a couple of days to let my brain reform. I've already got a list of changes to go back and make (as I wrote, I figured out a lot about my characters that straight up doesn't fit the descriptions I gave them at the beginning, when I was trying to write about what I thought they would end up like. Boy, was I wrong).

All in all, I really enjoyed this, but gently caress trying to go about it this way ever again. Next year, I will start on Day 1 and I'll have a plan.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

XIII posted:

I think my first entry (which clocked in at around 700 words and I considered "a good start", lolololol) was somewhere around the 18th.

From Sunday night at around 10:30 until about 20 minutes ago, I managed to bang out just over 32,000 words to hit 50,068. I practically locked myself in the bedroom and wrote almost 9,000 of that today, just to make the deadline.

Yeah that's pretty amazing winning from halfway through. Well done.

No more evening writing for me (got too much else to do) but I'm going to spend my lunch breaks editing/rearranging and figuring out what's still missing. After all that effort I'm damned if I'm going to abandon it completely.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 1, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oops doublepost sorry

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Yeah that's pretty amazing winning from halfway through. Well done.

No more evening writing for me (got too much else to do) but I'm going to spend my lunch breaks editing/rearranging and figuring out what's still missing. After all that effort I'm damned if I'm going to abandon it completely.

Thanks. I'm, honestly, surprised I managed it. I had the benefit of spending the last full week on a cruise, so I spent most of my time sitting on the deck with a drink and my laptop. No internet or cell service goes a long way for one's productivity.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Liam Emsa posted:

didn't win, don't care. was using it to further my writing, met some new friends. congrats to those who finished!

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

Also, I won. :roflolmao:

Congratz, yo!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I really dug using Scrivener, so thanks again for the rec. Once I get the coupon I'll be buying it. The editing capabilities are just too good to pass up. It's appealing since writing chronologically is just not my way. I think the next week or two will be taken up using the notation features so I can get the order laid out and start filling in gaps I missed during nano.

The last week of nano ended up being easier, if only because I was scared of losing with less than 10k words unwritten.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

RedTonic posted:

I really dug using Scrivener, so thanks again for the rec. Once I get the coupon I'll be buying it. The editing capabilities are just too good to pass up. It's appealing since writing chronologically is just not my way. I think the next week or two will be taken up using the notation features so I can get the order laid out and start filling in gaps I missed during nano.

The last week of nano ended up being easier, if only because I was scared of losing with less than 10k words unwritten.

After reading your post I went and downloaded it and just finished going through the tutorial. Wow, so much better than the 10 or so Word documents I've been using. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

NaNoWriMo winners can get Scrivener for half off. I'm considering grabbing it, but I use my chromebook for 99.9% of my writing, so I don't know if I'd ever use it.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

XIII posted:

NaNoWriMo winners can get Scrivener for half off. I'm considering grabbing it, but I use my chromebook for 99.9% of my writing, so I don't know if I'd ever use it.

... is your concern that you use a PC? Because it's available for PC.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If I could find a version of Scrivener that had cloud-based saves and an Android app I would have one less excuse not to be writing all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Remora posted:

... is your concern that you use a PC? Because it's available for PC.

No. My concern that I don't use a PC or a Mac, I use a Chromebook. I have a PC, but it's 15", heavy, and has poo poo for battery, so it's not ideal for writing on the go.

• Locked thread