Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have two possible plans for what to do this year. One is working with a co-author who is interested. We've been tossing outline stuff back and forth for nearly a year, and she's thinking she'll work on an outline and I'll write the content for each day. The other idea would be all on me. Some crazy part of me is thinking about doing both.

Wouldn't be the first time I've done two simultaneous nanos, but it would definitely be the first time trying nano with a shitload of other daily writing requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Gonna dust off last year's attempt and see what I can do with it. I have about 14k right now. I'm only gonna count what I write in November like I'm supposed to, but if I end up writing 36k, I'll be pretty happy anyway!

Here's me: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/pompitousoflove

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Does anyone have a particular outlining system that they find really helpful? I can't tell if I'm just really poo poo at making outlines or if I'm the sort of slob who will never be helped by an outline.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RedTonic posted:

Does anyone have a particular outlining system that they find really helpful? I can't tell if I'm just really poo poo at making outlines or if I'm the sort of slob who will never be helped by an outline.

I outline as follows:

Beginning + End. Have this in mind from the beginning, do not change it

Bob leaves his home country to go explore, but lands in a country that no one's ever heard of.
He becomes king of Bobstan.

Introduce key story points.

Bob leaves his home country to go explore, but lands in a country that no one's ever heard of.
Bob is introduced to and joins Rebel Alliance by chance.
Bob learns of Bad Dude, sets out to defeat him, because defeating Bad Dude gets him home.
Bob fights the Bad Dudes in the Great Bob vs Bad Dude war.
Bob defeats Bad Dude, it is revealed Bad Dude was actually Bob's jerk cousin.
Bob's victory makes him so awesome that everyone votes him King next election.

Then fill in between there:
-Bob stumbles into the wrong subway train
-Bob looks around, sees someone being attacked.
-Bob saves them by tripping and falling on assailant.
Bob is introduced to and joins Rebel Alliance by chance.
-He saved a Rebel member, they thank him by giving him a place to stay (bc the subway broke).
-They explain that the subways can't be fixed. Bob joins Rebels to help fix the subway.
-When Bob joins, they're all like "It was said someone would lead us to victory by falling on a bad dude and saving y person"
Bob learns of Bad Dude, sets out to defeat him, because defeating Bad Dude gets him home.
-Bad dudes invade Rebel place, he leaves alive.
-Bob sees Bad Dude, his Cousin. Is confused as poo poo.
-Bob fights Cousin for Reasons (Cousin forgot his birthday), they separate before fight finishes.
Bob fights the Bad Dudes in the Great Bob vs Bad Dude war.
-Bob and the Rebels make a plan
-The plan is to punch Cousin REALLY Hard.
-It's revealed everyone hates Cousin because he's the only transporation engineer in the entire Lala Land, so only he can fix the subway.
Bob defeats Bad Dude, it is revealed Bad Dude was actually Bob's jerk cousin.
-They fight, because reasons. Bob tries to swing Cousin to fix the subway. Turns out Cousin hates Bob because Bob forgot Cousin's birthday, at the age of SIX.
-Bob is shocked, much like our readers, bob gets very angry and flails his arms wildly, defeating Cousin.
-Bob stands over defeated Cousin. Cousin spits up teeth and says "im ded, oops, no more subway" *doesnt actually die*
Bob's victory makes him so awesome that everyone votes him King next election.
-Everyone celebrates Bob
-There's an election subplot I didn't mention at all, and Bob is nomiated King of Lala Land.
-Bob no longer wants to go home, also, it's his Cousin's birthday so he goes "here's your gift cousin" *throws him in jail* *smugface*

Just expand the bulletpoints until you've hit a comfortable level of detail. Going 3x3x3 etc works good. A beginning, middle and end to your beginning, middle and end until you've got neough of a story that you can just write it. If poo poo changes (for a good reason), adjust your outline so it always makes sense.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I'm doing this again.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jeffr

Going to write a story that I was originally planning to write last year. Modernist High Fantasy crossed with Space Opera, with a large dollop of Big Dumb Object story on top...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm going to do this for the first time in five years, I think? But I'm still deciding on the subject and I have a day to figure it out.

I'm torn between two options, one of which being an actual serious story idea I've been tossing around for the better part of a decade and the other being an awful/hilarious erotica parody called KING OF gently caress MOUNTAIN that I've depressingly come up with a decent outline for while bored at work.

Either way I'll probably end up putting my head through a wall before I'm finished. :v:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/zerogravitas

Ive had vague thoughts of a sci fi novel in my head for as long as I can remember, so it might be good to simply try and hammer out a rough draft this month.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/wrageowrapper

Why I do this, why?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I'm in. I'm going to use Nano to finish two books I've been working on and if I still have words after, to start a new one. Ya ya blah blah not in the spirit of nano to finish books instead of starting new ones.

I'm going to attempt an 8 hour marathon session once each weekend doing the Pomodoro technique. I never do a full 8 hour session so I'm curious to see how many words I can log then.

(Probably write 6 hours and then my eyes will bleed.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh man, I love tomatos.

I have successfully outlined a single chapter. I am on the ball, oh yes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've been cleaning neglected corners of the house in order to deny myself excuses to not write every day. Otherwise I'll be playing that particular and deeply stupid game all month. I have outlined little. I regret nothing (yet). Tonight: drinking and dusting radiators. Tomorrow: the world.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Some writers plan, some don't. Personally my more successful NaNos have involved nothing more than forming a halfway decent idea and then slapping words up on the screen to explore it.

This year I don't even have a concrete idea, more of a ... suggestion really. No idea if it will stand up to novella length or not. But I do have a really kick rear end title. That's something, right?

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Looking forward to taking part in this. I was looking through The Vault this morning and I've decided to revive some key aspects of some of my older works and weaving them together into a cohesive whole. Some of the themes I'd like to explore include:

1. Abusive relationships:
a) In particular can an abusive male redeem himself? Is it possible for a man to overcome the evil inside and become something new?
b) A study of abusive relationships thoughout an extended period of time. I mean to view the notion of abuse as its own entity that exists in time and space like any other character. Can abuse itself become unabusive?
2. Setting: [Since I only have one point to consider re: Setting, I'll dispense with denoting each point with a letter. It seems odd to write "Setting:
a)" but not have a point "b)]
In what way does setting either dampen or enhance the traits of a character.

I think many of you could probably look at what I've written here and guess the plot of my story, but for those less astute...

PLOT
The year is 2014, the same year we live in, and Detective Vince Darka has been transferred from his small town Police Force to the NYPD. Vince is young, but he's been around a hell of a lot longer than you might think. Vince is a pseudonym for Vlad, and Darka is a pseudonym for Dracula.
The most interesting thing, besides Dracula in New York, is that Vince/Vlad is a good guy. He is a good police officer and likes to put bad guys in the bars and shankles. But he is being hunted by Van Helsing's sons son, Lex. Will the deadly combination of his being persued and living in sin city send Dracula off the deep end? To tell you the truth, I have no clue. This is as much a journey for me as it is the characters.
FYI He works the night shift.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah. Might as well do it, I suppose. I've got enough things to finish up.

Space Detective
Apr 24, 2007

Be with you in just a moment...
I tried last year and it turns out that's a terrible idea when you're starting a new job. I'm going for it again this year, and I actually have a more fleshed-out idea, so I'm feeling good.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

What tools are you all using this year? On the advice of Whalley I picked up an alphasmart neo. I'll be a using that and scrivener on my Mac.

Also it isn't released in time for nano but have you all seen the Hemingwrite yet?
http://hemingwrite.com

4 pound aluminum, distraction free, word processor that uploads to google docs, uses an e-ink display and has a mechanical keyboard.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I won using just google docs last year. It was super convenient (as long as I had an internet hook-up, didn't matter where I worked or what station I was using) and, again, removed an excuse to not write (oh no my most recent document isn't on this machiiiiine whatever shall I doooo). Scrivener seems to get talked up a great deal around here, though, so I am kinda interested in checking that out. I bought a new Acer Insire laptop after going a year without; my old one sorta burned out. Needed something I could take on a trip, since ye olde family reunion coincided with nano this fall.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scrivener has extended their free trial through December 7 for Nano writers, and they'll give you half off the price if you win (and 20% off if you don't): http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.php

I grabbed it, but I can't say I've really come to grips with it yet. Seems cool, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm probably going to be outlining well past midnight and not starting until I wake up in the morning. The benefits of being unemployed again, I guess.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sotallytober

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zip posted:

What tools are you all using this year?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Gahaha! Blade that was the hardest I've laughed all week. Thanks.

(Been a rough week.)

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Sober posted:

I'm probably going to be outlining well past midnight and not starting until I wake up in the morning. The benefits of being unemployed again, I guess.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/sotallytober

The first year I was unemployed, I hit 165k by the end of the month.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Any advice on wordcounts? I'm continuing my story from last year, so I have 50 000 words I'm not counting (which I can simply subtract from the total count) but I also like to insert notes within the story. I don't count these, and I write them in a different color which makes them easy to see, but it's kind of a pain to manually go through removing them from the count. I imagine nobody has made a wordcount utility that differentiates between text color.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Elukka posted:

Any advice on wordcounts? I'm continuing my story from last year, so I have 50 000 words I'm not counting (which I can simply subtract from the total count) but I also like to insert notes within the story. I don't count these, and I write them in a different color which makes them easy to see, but it's kind of a pain to manually go through removing them from the count. I imagine nobody has made a wordcount utility that differentiates between text color.

I keep all notes in a separate doc and words only in the main doc.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I did that at first but I just lost track. When I'm not yet editing I might put down a note saying "THIS poo poo SUCKS CHANGE IT, DO X AND Y" or "fact check this". There's quite a bit of notes on what to change and what to add or perhaps remove embedded in the relevant part of the text.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, I'm dumb. Is there a place on the NaNo site for us to post the text as we write it, so people can see/comment/jeer etc? I can't find it.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tyrannosaurus-imua

god damnit I hate this already

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Okay, I'm dumb. Is there a place on the NaNo site for us to post the text as we write it, so people can see/comment/jeer etc? I can't find it.

No, not really. There's a place on your profile to post an excerpt.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

No, not really. There's a place on your profile to post an excerpt.
Huh, well that sucks.

I set up a lovely throwaway forum for posting/critting/poo poo-talking if anybody wants in:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Goon_NaNo/index.php

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elukka posted:

I did that at first but I just lost track. When I'm not yet editing I might put down a note saying "THIS poo poo SUCKS CHANGE IT, DO X AND Y" or "fact check this". There's quite a bit of notes on what to change and what to add or perhaps remove embedded in the relevant part of the text.

What are you using? If you use google docs, you can actually comment on your draft. The comments won't contribute to the wordcount. Likewise, you can use the editing function in Word to leave comments. I don't think those contribute to the wordcount, either. I used commenting pretty extensively in my work last year.

e:f,b

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 1, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Why not, I'm in too: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/grizzled-patriarch

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my word count wont update ;_;

edit: now it did

skids234
Jan 10, 2003
There doesn't seem to be any way to view your wordcount progress on the same chart as your other writing buddies, so I put together a thing for it.

It relies on the official site to get stats and stuff so it can get pretty slow when the official site is slow, but gently caress it, it's better than nothing.

http://nanonumbers.com

Also, I've done no planning this year because I was too distracted building this thing instead, so please feel free to shed a tear for me as I wing it.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I am diving in!

A friend said a couple of days ago that he was doing this, and I realized that I had a silly little YA novel I sort of wanted to play with; why not try it this month.

I've never done Nano before, but I've done "write x words / pages a day" things before to completion. Those challenges work, by gum. Now to see if I can complete this one, more daunting than any I've faced.

I didn't set up a Nanowrimo profile or anything. I think I might try and stay out of this thread until November 30, unless I fail! See you in thirty days, I hope.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Not sure if I have 50k words worth of content, but I kinda wanna do a novel about my new character Rosa Flores.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

The NaNo site has apparently saved my account but not the two submissions I wrote years ago. Which, to be honest, is exactly how I want it. drat they were terrible.

I might give this another shot. I have a rough idea in mind but I think I'll take a day or two to actually jot out a plan this time. Previously I've just sat down and started writing.

skids234
Jan 10, 2003

Staggy posted:

The NaNo site has apparently saved my account but not the two submissions I wrote years ago. Which, to be honest, is exactly how I want it. drat they were terrible.

Agreed. Filling in ten years of nanowrimo novel history seemed like more effort than it was worth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Not sure if I have 50k words worth of content, but I kinda wanna do a novel about my new character Rosa Flores.

Do it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm writing mine on Wattpad:
http://www.wattpad.com/79072694-the-end-of-a-ghost?utm_source=web&utm_medium=link&utm_content=share_reading&ref_id=15458356

I'm at 2640; but Nano is making GBS threads the bed when I try to update. Fine. FINE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Don't worry, the Nano site is only slammed at the beginning. As it goes on, they get their poo poo together and the site works better. It's totally the only explanation :v:

• Locked thread