Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Its not Smash that's causing it, its the patching process in general; seems to be affected a certain batch of Wii U's that have faulty flash memory chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I saw. My guess is that it was attributed to Smash because everybody is playing Smash.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

jivjov posted:

Its not Smash that's causing it, its the patching process in general; seems to be affected a certain batch of Wii U's that have faulty flash memory chips.

I can't remember if it was this specific error, but I had basically this happen over a year ago; had to send mine in and got a WiiU back with the hard drive wiped and all my saves gone. I'm pretty sure it was right after applying a system patch too, yeah.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

jivjov posted:

A CERTAIN batch?

Hoh god I really hope the WiiU I get for Christmas isn't one of those.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Waffleman_ posted:

Because maybe it'll get Bonzibuddy to shut the gently caress up.

Reported.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gonna set my Diddy amiibo to the Dixie color scheme and name it Bonzi

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Funny, that's what I'm gonna name my K. Ro--- oh, wait...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
So uh someone noted some beautiful detail on the new Smash money in the WiiU version.

1. SmashBank

2. Signed by Sakurai

3. Picture of Sakurai wearing a Mario hat that is lined with tiny Kirbies

4. SMBRO78912

5. Sora building in the background

6. ✮Love&Peace✮

I love this game :allears:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

So uh someone noted some beautiful detail on the new Smash money in the WiiU version.

1. SmashBank

2. Signed by Sakurai

3. Picture of Sakurai wearing a Mario hat that is lined with tiny Kirbies

4. SMBRO78912

5. Sora building in the background

6. ✮Love&Peace✮

I love this game :allears:

I love how he just shoves all these details into things no sane person will ever see.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Do will still need a 3DS thread and a Wii U thread?

Anyway, the 3DS game just crashed on me for getting 512 KOs in endless smash.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Are there any online retailers with reasonably priced copies of Ocarina of Time?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Is this thread still a thing? I'd like to play with other no-skill goons and have fun.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Unfortunately the majority of goons appear to have moved onto the Wii U version. Since it released I've played the 3DS one with goons a total of two times.

Your best bet will probably be the channel #goonsmash on synIRC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I refuse to buy a Wii U, so this version is all I have. Haven't played a Smash game since Melee, holy poo poo they added a fuckload of cool/retarded/:wtc: stuff.

I just have one question: Is there a way to tweak Dr Mario with gear so that he plays like he did in Melee, with the awesome air punch and super breakdance kick? Really makes me sad that he's basically just old Mario with the washing machine down special.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I refuse to buy a Wii U, so this version is all I have. Haven't played a Smash game since Melee, holy poo poo they added a fuckload of cool/retarded/:wtc: stuff.

I just have one question: Is there a way to tweak Dr Mario with gear so that he plays like he did in Melee, with the awesome air punch and super breakdance kick? Really makes me sad that he's basically just old Mario with the washing machine down special.

Why do you "refuse" to buy a gaming console, and no there is not.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I refuse to buy a Wii U,
Uhhh, why?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I will eventually get a WiiU too but I'm in the same boat as that dude. I have played WiiU Smash at buddy's places, but for now the 3DS version is all I have and I love it. Got your back smash bro.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still play the 3DS game about as much as the WiiU game, but the impression I get is that this thread is pretty much dead, and the WiiU thread is the de facto only Smash thread.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Echo Chamber posted:

I still play the 3DS game about as much as the WiiU game, but the impression I get is that this thread is pretty much dead, and the WiiU thread is the de facto only Smash thread.

Ditto and agreed. I just don't like being excited to hear/see something cool then it ends up being for the wiiu and not the 3ds is my only beef.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The only exciting/cool things the WiiU has are its stages & pretty graphics, the 3DS has everything else the same with less-good levels but a way better single-player mode, and even then 3DS has Yoshi's Island all to itself.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Smash U has Crazy Orders.

On the other hand, Smash U has Smash Tour.

Man, I wish they would have put in an expanded Smash Run instead, though I guess the intention is to play Smash Tour in couch multiplayer. Playing it alone is boring as poo poo and I only ever did it for the challenge panels and still ended up hammering one of them.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

My friends, can you look at your "Super Smash Bros." series trophies and tell me if you have this trophy:

Bumper

If you have it, do you play a lot of:
A. Classic Mode
B. Smash Run
C. Streetpass Beyblade

I already have played a tonne of All-star and Trophy rush and check the shop religiously after each game-mode. This is the only trophy i'm missing. It's doubtful that of the random pool of trophies that certain ones would show up more in one mode or the other but its not outside the realm of possibility.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Smash U has Crazy Orders.

On the other hand, Smash U has Smash Tour.

Man, I wish they would have put in an expanded Smash Run instead, though I guess the intention is to play Smash Tour in couch multiplayer. Playing it alone is boring as poo poo and I only ever did it for the challenge panels and still ended up hammering one of them.

Going to say, for all the hate it gets, Smash Tour is pretty fun with 3 friends (and only with 3 friends).
But Crazy Orders is easily the best thing to play when alone.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I like Smash Tour, but I also like Smash Run. Maybe I have no taste?

I still play the 3DS version exclusively; I don't have a Wii U, and won't buy one (little money, and if I were to buy a system it'd be a Vita) so I kind of just have to deal

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Reiley posted:

The only exciting/cool things the WiiU has are its stages & pretty graphics, the 3DS has everything else the same with less-good levels but a way better single-player mode, and even then 3DS has Yoshi's Island all to itself.

The 3DS stages are better.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I think I generally prefer the U stages, and U has Temple which is the best stage ever.

Oh the other hand, U also has 75m. Who the gently caress thought bringing that reject of a stage back was a good idea?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ijyt posted:

The 3DS stages are better.

They are so not. Every single 3DS stage outside of Tomadachi Life, Battlefield, and the Omegas involves a gimmick that makes anything other than party play uncomfortable. Balloon Fight alone is the worst Smash stage I've ever played.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Magicant alone escalates the 3DS stage selection considerably, and Dream Land knocks it even further up. Mute City helps too, and I'm a fan of Gerudo Valley and Pac-Maze (although I can see their downsides). I've not played the Wii U version, but on an observer's level none of the stages grab me nearly as much as the good ones on the 3DS.

EDIT: Paper Mario is also great, and the Unova Pokemon League was pretty good too. poo poo, like the entire stagelist in Smash 3DS is great to me.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 24, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So many of the stages on both versions would be all-time series greats if there was some way to stop all the random crap happening.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Magicant is one of the clear highlights, although even then I think the cotton candy pink is a visual nightmare at times. Gerudo Valley is pretty awesome too although the witches are a definite scrub trap. That said there really isn't anything to rival say, Smashville or even Hyrule Temple/Delfino Plaza in terms of "fairly basic" levels. They're all scrolling and/or feature areas/hazards that are guaranteed death traps for scrub players, and long-term that makes the 3DS version a lot less viable for longer sessions.

As someone who has played the Wii U version I can say that while most of the stages are also gimmick-based there are at least enough that feature something relatively basic to give you and the people you're playing with something to do a "serious" fight on that isn't Battlefield or an Omega stage, while on the 3DS it's basically Tomodachi Life or nothing (maybe that Animal Crossing Island level if you're ok with the walk-offs).

Still, it's Smash in my pocket and not a terribly stripped down version either, so I have to give it that.

Cat Machine posted:

So many of the stages on both versions would be all-time series greats if there was some way to stop all the random crap happening.

This is it in a nutshell.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I don't even mind minor random elements that you can consciously avoid (or even try and make your opponents get messed up by). I just really abhor stages where something periodically shows up and demands the entire player attention. It's not fun and in some ways actually kinda undermines the "random" element of matches - e.g. every Wily's Castle match descends into hiding behind Yellow Devil.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Cat Machine posted:

This is what I would have wanted Omega Mode to be. Variants of the stages without hazards and maybe some kind of different layouts for a few, rather than lol here have 40 copies of Final Destination. Magicant without Flying Man, Wily Castle with the elevators but without Yellow Devil, stuff like that. Same with Smash U. Omega Pyrosphere should have been the same stage but without the enemies and Ridley, Omega Gaur Plains the same without Metalface.

I mean, I can enjoy stage hazards. But I would also like there to be a way to not have them.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

KennyMan666 posted:

Omega Gaur Plains the same without Metalface.

There is no redeeming that stage layout.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I kinda like the Gaur Plains layout. U version might be a bit too big though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chakram posted:

There is no redeeming that stage layout.

It's actually amazing how much better Metal Face tearing the poo poo out of it can make it look

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Can't you just pick up Custom Items in the WiiU version instead? Because as someone that's been trying to unlock them, it's lovely as hell on the 3DS and so tedious going to specific game modes for them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Unlocking core features is easily the worst part of this fantastic game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Balloon Fight alone is the worst Smash stage I've ever played.

So you never played the Electroplankton stage in Brawl?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hanenbou, Balloon Fight, Big Blue and Wily's Castle are all contenders for worst stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChaosArgate posted:

Hanenbou, Balloon Fight, Big Blue and Wily's Castle are all contenders for worst stage.

Get out.

• Locked thread