Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

MrAristocrates posted:

Season 1, Episode 4: “I’ll Try To Fix You”

The actual news story nearly gets lost in all this, relegated to the last seven minutes of the episode (all scored to “Fix You” by Coldplay, which caused me to burst out laughing when I looked it up).

The major B-plot in this episode is Jim/Maggie, and it’s garbage.

There’s also Neal, who is, again, obsessed with Bigfoot for some reason.

There’s like a single good moment where Will apologizes to Don by shouting “You’re a fuckin’ newsman, Don, I ever tell you different you punch me in the face!

It's been awhile since I have watched this episode, but if memory serves right the points from your review that I quote pretty much summarize the episode and the series in general. This episode really is the one that sets up a "traditional" tone and plot for an episode, and it's a show that tries to take itself too seriously that ends up circling back around at silly than serious.

Most of us who watched these episodes live will agree with your thoughts that I've pulled out in the quote. The Fix You scene is terrible. Anything Jim/Maggie is eye-rolling and terrible. Neal's pursuit for Bigfoot continues to show up through the rest of the season (add it to your drinking game and you'll be smashed in no time).

The only decent characters on this show are Don and Sloan. The way they rectify Don's original presentation through the rest of the seasons are amazing and you'll root for the one guy who is actually well-written and acted, and just all around... you want him to succeed. And Sloan. Oh glorious Sloan - she's just as awesome to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The problem with this episode is that Season 2 wrapped up the entire show nicely. Will and Mac are engaged! Will is not going to quit! Sloan and Don are together!

Yet - there's now more Newsroom after that, so it leaves the question: Where exactly is this show headed?

Neal obviously can't be looking for Big Foot, so instead of trolling with reddit/4chan people, they now have him under investigation for espionage a la Edward Snowden. Will and Mac's wedding plans are boring. Maggie is still annoying but at least she lost her stupid hair and seems semi-adjusted back to reality?

It's tough to pick up this new season simply because the last season was wrapped up so nicely.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Oddly enough, I just learned something. Thanks!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
And then Jim saw Maggie in yet another new light and the love triangle continues.

Just happy that Don got out of the cycle and he's with Sloan.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I was waiting for an "I love you..... I know" from Will and Mac during the post-wedding arrest.

Star Wars did it better. :colbert:

• Locked thread