Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I feel quite alone in liking this show. Perhaps it was beneficial to go into this when I knew the full run length and could binge through it, but nonetheless I found a lot of it charming.
I fundamentally don't buy "Sorkin hates the internet", I remember that sharp peak of tweets becoming news (basically just before this show aired), and it was completely bullshit. I think he's relatively balanced in having reservations about the trend of citizen journalists, whilst also seeing their value, i.e. the man on the ground in Egypt, Neal's various stories.
Too much scepticism and trying to change it's nature ("I'm going to fix the internet") is played up as absurd on its face.

Sorkin really can't write women though, and I think the main difference here is he doesn't have someone with Allison Janney's chops to carry it. MacKenzie is insufferably twee. Maggie has two or three episodes of being competent before the show ends.

The emotional punches in S2 don't happen in the episodes where the events themselves do, which is the weirdest decision I have ever seen in writing, and must have been a desperate attempt to keep people watching for the next week. Lines like "If you'd seen what she had, you'd do nothing but sit and cry" were delivered brilliantly, but by the time you see what actually happened its a let down. Like burn every child to death or deliver that line after, or people will just feel relieved only one kid dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

For better or worse, you only have three episodes left.
It's a shame it bowed out when it did, I think it finally found a tone for itself after it dropped being solely based on real news, and instead peppered based on real things into the mix to add drama.
It gave it a much needed gravitas that "do we report this news yet x 10" was completely failing to achieve.

I get that Hailey's whole persona was just a stand-in for the trend of respectable media institutions to fall to click-baiting (Huff post, etc) but as an actual person, and not an industry, Jim's distaste for her trying to make rent just felt cruel.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh, he's watched it.
He's trying to form words.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As much as I enjoyed your reviews, this is a better summary of them all.

• Locked thread