Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:siren: WARNING: OP CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS FOR PRIOR SEASONS :siren:

Well, here we are again. Homeland was originally a show about a Marine POW named Nick Brody who was held in captivity for 8 years by an Al-Qaeda commander Abu Nazir. By the end of season 1 Brody found himself in a confined space with some of the upper most officials in the United States government and military. All while wearing a suicide vest.

Shortly before this took place Brody recorded a suicide tape to explain to the world exactly why he did what he didn’t end up doing. This ended up destroying his career, family and eventually his life. The other major character in the series is Carrie Matheson. Carrie is a bipolar CIA agent. Her secret was discovered in season 1 after being sent into a flight because of an op that went sideways. A Saudi diplomat who very much enjoyed the cock (seriously) brought a suitcase bomb and killed a bunch of people. She was rightly removed from the CIA but it was eventually handwaved away and her position was restored.

Carrie’s mentor is Saul Berenson. He has a pretty solid grip on how to handle Carrie’s lunacy despite only learning of her condition after 10 years of working with her. Season 2 had Brody coerced by Nazir into assassinating the Vice President who Nazir and Brody blame for the death of Nazir’s son in a drone strike that killed 83 children. Coerced probably isn’t the right word since Brody wanted to see the man dead but Nazir had taken Carie hostage.

It should probably be mentioned at this point that Carrie has been sleeping with Brody from just about the start. Despite suspecting, then having total confirmation that Brody had been turned she continues to sleep with him. By the end of season 3 Carrie is 4 or 5 months pregnant with Brody’s child.

Just as a personal note I think this show should have ended with season 1. You could make an argument for season 2 but after that it just seems like it lost its way. The original plan was to have Brody detonate his suicide vest and kill the Vice President, the CIA director and a number of senior political figures. Then the show got popular as the first season was fantastic and Showtime decided to milk this thing for all it’s worth.

Carrie Matheson played by Claire Danes - Last seen watching Brody being lynched by some Iranian with construction equipment. Also quite pregnant being in the middle of an insanely dangerous situation.

Saul Berenson played by Mandy Patinkin - Last seen having his authority cut off at the knees.

Peter Quinn played by Rupert Friend - One of Dar Adal's black ops guys. Initially told everyone he was just analyst but it's now known he's a straight up assassin.

Sandy Bachman played by Corey Stoll - A new addition to season 4. Hopefully he's not related to Michelle Bachman. His hairpiece from The Strain will not be making an appearance.

Dar Adal played by F Murray Abraham - Handles all the CIA off the books stuff nobody wants to talk about. When Obama said that we tortured some folks he was probably referring to Adal.

:smugissar:THE DEAD:smugissar:

Nick Brody played by Damian Lewis - Originally turned by Abu Nazir and wore a suicide vest with the intention of blowing up the Vice President and pretty much everyone near him. Caught by the CIA and turned with the intent of infiltrating Nazir to uncover his plans. Then turned again after Nazir took Carrie hostage. Lastly in season 3 he was used to stage a secret coup in Iran. The op went sideways and Brody had to publicly denounce the United States and claim responsibility for the bombing of the VP's funeral all to save his cover. He successfully kills his target and is rewarded by being abandoned by the CIA. Caught by the Iranians and subsequently lynched.

Abu Nazir played by Navid Negahban - Totally not at all Osama Bin Laden. He originally turned Brody and his partner and put all the plans in place that resulted in Brody wearing a suicide vest and a car bomb being detonated at the CIA. Killed by a tac team shortly before the CIA attack and released Brody's suicide tape to the world.

David Estes played by David Harewood - Deputy director of the CIA, constant foil for Carrie and Saul. Killed by the car bomb at the CIA which also killed the late Vice President's family and 200+ attendees.

:jihad:Tom Walker played by Chris Chalk:jihad: - The other member of Brody's sniper team captured at the same time. Initially thought to be dead having bean severely beaten by Brody. Also turned by Nazir and was the catalyst that allowed Brody could get into place to carry out his suicide attack.

There are a few characters I'm not going to bother with, mostly Brody's family and friends who are largely irrelevant now. Take my word for it, after the first season it isn't worth your time.

Lastly, the chilling suicide video Brody made in the first season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUbshC_yc6M

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

His hairpiece from The Strain will not be making an appearance.

Well that's a shame.

I quite liked Season 3 after a few of those early episodes. They have a clean slate now, so I'll see how it goes but I'm not expecting too much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I enjoyed Season 3 when everything clicked into place after a ropey few episodes. Happy to enjoy a show that, while not as good as it originally was, is still capable of being really entertaining at times. Intrigued to know where they'll go now. Maybe being totally rid of Brody will actually help them write it without having to feel he has to be up to something each week.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Season 4 can only get better purely due to the absence of Brody's family.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
I enjoyed every Homeland episode. String my up on a giant rope in Tehran labelled 'this poster has bad taste', I don't even care. A Good Show.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

To my mind the show was off the rails after the first season. It was so obvious that it was being forced through a major re-write and the Powers that Be had no idea what they were doing with it. Now that they're turning things over it could get good again. I'll have to see what the word on the street is after a few episodes before diving back in.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Gameko posted:

To my mind the show was off the rails after the first season. It was so obvious that it was being forced through a major re-write and the Powers that Be had no idea what they were doing with it. Now that they're turning things over it could get good again. I'll have to see what the word on the street is after a few episodes before diving back in.

Fortunately, season 1 canonically ends the instant Brody first flips the trigger on his vest. Just an instant cut to white and a faint, high-pitched ringing sound in the distance. Cue season 4 (2).

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oops, cancelled Showtime. Oh well, the return of 24 was better than what Homeland became.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
What the hell was the deal with this lieutenant

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I'm officially starting the countdown until a disillusioned Quinn runs away to join Al Quaeda...

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Another season of Homleand. Let's hope this season is good. :swoon:

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010

Toona the Cat posted:

What the hell was the deal with this lieutenant

That scene was really weird. I hope disgruntled American soldiers like him don't become the main antagonist

lightishred fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
What the hell Carrie :(

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
(double post)

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010
Quinn is by far my favorite character :neckbeard:

Carrie is visting the Brodys? If Chris makes an appearance this show is done

lightishred fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 6, 2014

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Carrie don't put the baby in the front seat

dont drown the baby either jesus

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Carrie don't put the baby in the front seat

dont drown the baby either jesus

I really enjoyed that Carrie is just a bad parent. Even when she's not in Kabul, she doesn't know the basics of taking care of (and not murdering) an infant.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Quinn; the first guy on the show to gently caress a fat girl.

e:
Carrie, WHAT THE gently caress :stare:

Jesus, we almost saw an infant get drowned :ohdear:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 6, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

Quinn; the first guy on the show to gently caress a fat girl.

Homeland is back!

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat wtf, i expected peter russo to be in this entire season

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I never watched the third season, but the fourth season has gotten really good reviews so far and the first season was awesome. Should I just skip ahead to the fourth season knowing only that brody is finally loving dead and carrie is pregnant?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Last season had some really loving terrible moments but also some good ones too, IIRC, but I just finished watching the premiere and I am in no way looking forward to the rest of this season based on that premiere. Maybe this was just an awful 2 episodes and the rest will be better, but who the hell knows. This show has been hit or miss for a while.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How the hell did this show go from disillusioned American veteran turned suicide bomber to righteous female Jack Bauer killing the gently caress out of America's bad guys in three seasons? That commercial showtime was running for this season with all the Arab dudes looking in fear at Carrie's website was probably way more entertaining than what they actually have planned for this season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
RIP Corey Stoll

You are survived as a terrible idiot moron with a toupée on The Strain.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Oh hey Brody's back as a kid.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I never watched the third season, but the fourth season has gotten really good reviews so far and the first season was awesome. Should I just skip ahead to the fourth season knowing only that brody is finally loving dead and carrie is pregnant?

Every episode of every season of Homeland is outstanding, always and forever.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Of course that lady wants to get breakfast. What a silly question, Quinn.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
When she gets on the scale it says one at a time! Oof.

Was anyone else expecting Quinn to go "Oh yeah well you are like school in july! No Class!" and then the entire cast of Fat Albert runs out from the kitchen to high five him.

Then a drone blows up the diner and it cuts to guy guy piloting the drone and its Bill Cosby and he just looks into the camera and goes "Zip zop Drones!" and then freeze frame and thats the end of Homeland forever.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ransom posted:

Was anyone else expecting Quinn to go "Oh yeah well you are like school in july! No Class!" and then the entire cast of Fat Albert runs out from the kitchen to high five him.

Scrubs was the best. :smith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Do carrie, drown the baby :unsmigghh:

So Lockhart is basically Hillary in Benghanzi?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 6, 2014

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
The car mob scene was pretty intense. Other than that, I felt the first two episodes were kind of lackluster. I think Homeland does it the best when it focuses on CIA ops and political bullshit. I don't want to see PTSD Quinn.

And, regarding the car mob scene, I'm surprised the mob didn't back away after Quinn opened fire, and I feel like Quinn hesitated a lot despite the immediate danger. I guess he couldn't just empty his clip, either, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm starting to think that Carrie may need a psy eval. She doesn't seem fine.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKELETONS posted:

Every episode of every season of Homeland is outstanding, always and forever.

Well I thought the second season was pretty terrible and didn't bother with the third, so I guess we disagree!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well I thought the second season was pretty terrible and didn't bother with the third, so I guess we disagree!

Well, the Brody aspect is gone, yeah, but it's still all about Carrie getting filthy, creep, and weird. If you didn't bother with the third season, highly doubt the 4th would change your mind.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When I first started watching this show a couple years ago, I don't think that I thought Carrie was the most interesting part of it and that watching the show would be worthwhile if it was mostly centered around her. Now that's what the show's become and it doesn't seem to be very worthwhile so far.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The first hour was great. It was tense, interesting...the second hour, oy. Carrie being stiff with a baby is painful to watch, and the fights with her sister just made me cringe. It was the same argument and pout three or four times. I don't care.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I just wanted a show about chasing terrorists, I hope they drop the family stuff.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
So is the Not-Bengazi embassy going to get overrun by angry protesters next episode and all the staff inside murdered while they play Eve Online?

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Thom12255 posted:

I just wanted a show about chasing terrorists, I hope they drop the family stuff.

The hosed up part is no matter where this show goes we'll always be like 'hey remember when Carrie tried to drown her baby?'

This is some weird Walter White style character arching where she just becomes more and more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Thom12255 posted:

I think that was the point when she goes back to Afghanistan or whatever.

Also if anyone who didn't know, the actor who played the father died couple months ago RIP

• Locked thread