Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Well, that was two depressing hours of tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
Carrie is going psycho in ways that are no longer sympathetic, and I'm not sure if I like that. The scene with her trying to drown her baby and her being remorseless about pretty much everything- I just can't root for her anymore.

Quinn, who's supposed to be the meat-eater assassin dude came off as way more sympathetic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Geno posted:

I think that was the point when she goes back to Afghanistan or whatever.

Also if anyone who didn't know, the actor who played the father died couple months ago RIP
Thought you were saying the character died.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'd be ok with this show just flat out making the Americans the bad guys tbh. Like I was seriously wondering if I was meant to be rooting for Quinn, Carrie and the other guy during the lynching scene, cus I really wasn't.

I mean, maybe they're trying to make a season seriously dealing with how hosed up American foreign policy in terms of extra-judicial killings is, and how veterans deal with some hosed up PTSD coming from a hosed up war into a society that really doesn't act like it is at war. Maybe Saul's all set up to bring in the questionable ethics of using PMCs the way the US does. You know, kinda like how season 1 and the start of season 2 dealt really quite well and quite seriously with some of the problems of US policy on torture and drone strikes and so forth. That'd be a legit interesting show to watch. Unfortunately, it'd be constantly overshadowed by the fact that they turned Nazir into a loving cartoon villain in season 2 and probably whatever dumb poo poo happened in season 3, the entirety of which except for the hanging at the end I honestly don't remember.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 6, 2014

flea
Oct 8, 2000
I feel like I'm the only person who still enjoys this show. I understand and agree with most of the post season 1 criticisms about it, but it's still one of my favorite shows. I think the first 3 episodes of season 3 were a rough start, but I really, really enjoyed everything after that. I thought last night's episodes were great and am looking forward to the rest of the season. I didn't care much for the scenes with Carrie and baby, but it seems like they won't be much of an issue for the rest of the season.

Obviously season 1 was the best and I doubt any future seasons will ever live up to it, but it's still some drat good television.

MetalFace
Jul 27, 2005
Join Us In Creating Excellence

HOT SQUATS posted:

Carrie is going psycho in ways that are no longer sympathetic, and I'm not sure if I like that. The scene with her trying to drown her baby and her being remorseless about pretty much everything- I just can't root for her anymore.

Quinn, who's supposed to be the meat-eater assassin dude came off as way more sympathetic.

That was one of the main points, the reversal of roles of these two. Carrie is now the cold-blooded assassin.

Nice reboot last night. Felt like old school Homeland.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I've never been more afraid for Quinn's life than when he was giving his apartment manager a ride.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

I'm starting to think that Carrie may need a psy eval. She doesn't seem fine.

I like how she just got better from the crazy last season. On her own. No meds or psychiatrist or anything.

edit: What was her reason for having ginger baby again? Or not giving it up for adoption? Oh right shes crazy its not bad writing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 7, 2014

MetalFace
Jul 27, 2005
Join Us In Creating Excellence

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: What was her reason for having ginger baby again? Or not giving it up for adoption? Oh right shes crazy its not bad writing.

Remember in the Season 3 finale, after Brody died? It was mostly about this.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

flea posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who still enjoys this show. I understand and agree with most of the post season 1 criticisms about it, but it's still one of my favorite shows. I think the first 3 episodes of season 3 were a rough start, but I really, really enjoyed everything after that. I thought last night's episodes were great and am looking forward to the rest of the season. I didn't care much for the scenes with Carrie and baby, but it seems like they won't be much of an issue for the rest of the season.

Obviously season 1 was the best and I doubt any future seasons will ever live up to it, but it's still some drat good television.

Nah, TVIV is usually more on the negative side of things. I think people are still hung up on those weak episodes of Season 2 and switched to hate watching even after it made a pretty good recovery.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Is it just me or is Carries baby loving ugly. Couldn't they have found a better looking ginger kid?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is it just me or is Carries baby loving ugly. Couldn't they have found a better looking ginger kid?

I think most babies look ugly that age.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Hold on, doesn't Quinn have a baby mama in deep cover somewhere? That police chick that Carrie or Saul shook down at some point in order to blackmail somebody?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ruddiger posted:

How the hell did this show go from disillusioned American veteran turned suicide bomber to righteous female Jack Bauer killing the gently caress out of America's bad guys in three seasons? That commercial showtime was running for this season with all the Arab dudes looking in fear at Carrie's website was probably way more entertaining than what they actually have planned for this season.

HOT SQUATS posted:

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, maybe they're trying to make a season seriously dealing with how hosed up American foreign policy in terms of extra-judicial killings is, and how veterans deal with some hosed up PTSD coming from a hosed up war into a society that really doesn't act like it is at war.

Yeah, this is like "American Foreign Policy Sucks: The Show" and I kinda hate it now.

Also, Carrie sucks.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Atma McCuddles posted:

Hold on, doesn't Quinn have a baby mama in deep cover somewhere? That police chick that Carrie or Saul shook down at some point in order to blackmail somebody?

At the end of season 3, when Carrie asks him how he raises his kid while in the agency, he said something like "I hosed all that up, I hope you don't do the same" which I assumed was the writer's way of opening up an avenue for their inevitable romantic entanglement. The Gob Bluth look at the end of the last ep made me think that his feelings for Carrie will be what drags him back into the action.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Ugly, but in exactly the same way Brody was. This was one of the better baby-casting jobs I've seen actually.

Now that this show appears to be going in a Breaking Bad direction where Carrie, and by extension, the US government is Walter White, I kind of like it more. Not having Dana or the rest of the Brody clan around is just icing for me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ugly, but in exactly the same way Brody was. This was one of the better baby-casting jobs I've seen actually.

Now that this show appears to be going in a Breaking Bad direction where Carrie, and by extension, the US government is Walter White, I kind of like it more. Not having Dana or the rest of the Brody clan around is just icing for me.

Agreed, I was really impressed at how much the baby looked like Damien Lewis.

The bathtub scene made me feel extremely anxious, like stomach fluttering, despite knowing it was TV.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I've never been more afraid for Quinn's life than when he was giving his apartment manager a ride.

Yes, thank you. I could not help but see the humour in this scene and cackle a bit. It seems to shout..

He's loving a fatty he's finally gone over the edge.

Dengue_Fever fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 8, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Agreed, I was really impressed at how much the baby looked like Damien Lewis.

The bathtub scene made me feel extremely anxious, like stomach fluttering, despite knowing it was TV.

Me too. But afterwards I thought it'd be pretty hosed up for Quinn's PTSD manifesting as a BBW fetish while Carrie's is infanticide.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The strangest thing for me was how Carrie talked to Brody Baby for about two minutes straight what she's feeling like right now when she was sitting in front of Brody's old house. I feel like in earlier seasons Claire Danes would have just acted out this whole speech with her eyes and face without saying a word and it would have been amazing. Instead you get a dumbed down 'seriously guys, Carrie is not doing so well now that she has to go back to the US' moment. Just short of having a Dexter voice over explaining the situation.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

AlexF posted:

The strangest thing for me was how Carrie talked to Brody Baby for about two minutes straight what she's feeling like right now when she was sitting in front of Brody's old house. I feel like in earlier seasons Claire Danes would have just acted out this whole speech with her eyes and face without saying a word and it would have been amazing. Instead you get a dumbed down 'seriously guys, Carrie is not doing so well now that she has to go back to the US' moment. Just short of having a Dexter voice over explaining the situation.

I dunno when the whole Carrie freakout pouty face thing becomes so played out it's a SNL skit then it's probably wise to try something else.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pryor on Fire posted:

it's probably wise to try something else.
New thread title spotted.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing will ever top the muslim hit squad in full SWAT kit operating in and around fairfax county VA in whatever that season was.

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010
I'll be slightly upset if Fara and Max aren't in any more episodes. Fara especially seems like the only normal person at the entire CIA.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lightishred posted:

I'll be slightly upset if Fara and Max aren't in any more episodes. Fara especially seems like the only normal person at the entire CIA.

Only if Saul shows up and has a random racist outburst at her.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

lightishred posted:

What ever happened to Galvez? Was he killed in the terror attack at the end of season 2? He seemed like a pretty decent guy.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Frankly I'm holding out for the Dana Brody spin-off show.

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010

HOT SQUATS posted:

What ever happened to Galvez? Was he killed in the terror attack at the end of season 2? He seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Yes, I don't think they ever name him on the show but a producer said he was among the dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well that was a boring episode.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Quinn and Carrie developing a romantic relationship is definitely not a direction this season should be going in.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Quinn and Carrie developing a romantic relationship is definitely not a direction this season should be going in.

i was hoping for Carrie and the pakistani dude.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Oh for fucks sake, Homeland! :mad:

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You're going to eat your words when a traumatized Quinn realizes the only way to quell the middle east uprisings that will inevitably lead to WW3 is to personally assassinate his one true love, and the series ends with Quinn laying injured on the floor of a burning embassy with his rifle trained on a fleeing Carrie- and while he pulls the trigger, she stops in the middle of Kabul to open a metal attache case containing a red button and triggers a drone strike meant to eliminate the traitorous Quinn, and turning every surviving member of the embassy into collateral damage.

End s4. S5 reboots as the Saul and Dar Adal waffle hour.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

whalesteak posted:

Saul and Dar Adal waffle hour.

I'm up for this. One episode could just be them growing out their beards.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Oh no, it's happening.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Looks like nobody gives a poo poo about Homeland anymore.

My favorite scene was the chokehold Quinn did on Dar. It was a nice goodbye hug :3:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That wasn't a very good episode, this isn't a very good season. I'm all for the slow burn, but at a certain point I ask myself "am I enjoying this?"...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched that episode and thought to myself "I bet if I stopped watching Homeland forever right now, I wouldn't miss anything interesting."

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
I really enjoyed the first two, I guess this was part of the slow burn. Quinn should be more jacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SKELETONS posted:

I really enjoyed the first two, I guess this was part of the slow burn. Quinn should be more jacked.

I agree, he has been doing a lot of heavy lifting lately.

• Locked thread