Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think its a little bit of both, it incentivizes people to dig deeper into the game and get caught in that kind of depression well, and the people who are more susceptible to that have that kind of addictive/depressive personality in the first place. I'm an addictive person and I've played WoW for three periods over the last decade. In two of them I got really deeply addicted to the game, and both those times I was in a bad place and really unhappy about my life. I suspect that's part of the reason I dove into WoW, but also the amount of time I invested in the game made my situation even worse. The time I got into WoW when I was doing pretty well, I didn't get hooked. I had fun for a while, then it felt like a chore and I just stopped playing.

Grognan posted:

I keep gaming as something that I can walk away at anytime. If you're blowing off real events in favor of Wednesday night raids, you might have a problem.

I raided with a real-world friend and a bunch of online friends, and I used to compare it to any other club or hobby, like scheduling time for a bowling team or a poker night or something. That analogy doesn't really work out though, because even very casual raiding is like a poker night that meets up a minimum of two nights a week for 3+ hours, and if anyone is late or doesn't show up the group can't start, and if you don't show up a handful of times you might just get uninvited and replaced. It's really obnoxious and the pressure of "I'd rather be doing something else, but I gotta be on WoW all night for my team!" made the game extremely unfun.

I did have a lot of fun with that group and there are some good and exciting memories I have from raiding, but the ratio of "good times" to "boring times clearing bosses we had on farm status, or lovely times wiping on bosses, or feeling lovely for bailing on the group" was insanely low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread