Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReidRansom posted:

Until/unless they build war robots. Or stop being so stubborn about immigration. Both are probably equally unlikely.

Haha Japan will be building army pf robots to take care of their retired people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Haha Japan will be building army pf robots to take care of their retired people.

http://www.parorobots.com/

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
How is President Park doing as President (how powerful is the South Korean presidency for that matter?) and how bothered are people about her being a dictator's daughter? Is she trying to follow in his footsteps?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

whatever7 posted:

Actually China may push for "1 country 2 systems" in Korea now that I think about it.

Or just two countries that are on terms that don't require a giant landmine deathpit between them.

At any rate, China will have the fact that literally anything is better than Juche going for them. Like you could open the box from Hellraiser and suck the entire country into a world of pure sadomasochism and that would still be an improvement.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How friendly are the SK and Chinese governments? Why would SK agree with China to withdraw itself from geopolitics all for the grand prize of 25 million starving refugees? Even if China gave them money to rebuild it would still be a massive headache at best

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

How is President Park doing as President (how powerful is the South Korean presidency for that matter?) and how bothered are people about her being a dictator's daughter? Is she trying to follow in his footsteps?

This is pretty anecdotal but...

I don't think she's going to be too ambitious beyond following in President Lee's footsteps of corporatism, whitewashing daddy's legacy and dealing with North Korea's poo poo. The administration seems to be spending a lot of time this year just making sure people don't blame the government too much for the Sewol ferry sinking fiasco. I live in Korea and witnessed a marching protest in Seoul last week (mostly in response to Sewol), but the police response, while numerically strong, is basically just huge lines of young guys in bright yellow uniforms holding plastic riot shields looking bored or marching around in a lite show of strength.

My Korean boss told me Park had to fire one of her aides because he kept addressing her in public in a super-honorific (as if to royalty) manner, but her identity as the daughter of a strongman isn't all that significant to people anymore compared to Sewol happening on her watch. Stories relating to it are still front-page news.

When she was elected, I had an early-30s Korean friend tell me "Now I know how you Americans feel when Bush was re-elected." Korea has a rapidly aging population (birth rate lower than Japan's! Wow!) and demographics played a big part in the election results. The political power gap between generations will probably only continue to widen as the elderly use their voting power to keep the conservative Saenuri party in power, so as long as they can find someone who can keep his eyes uncrossed long enough to make short addresses on the state-controlled news networks, I think there's no reason to double-down on an unpopular leader.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Thank you for the insight. You have to wonder with the Super-honorific thing if the mistake was doing it all or just doing it in public.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ceramic Shot posted:

This is pretty anecdotal but...

When she was elected, I had an early-30s Korean friend tell me "Now I know how you Americans feel when Bush was re-elected." Korea has a rapidly aging population (birth rate lower than Japan's! Wow!) and demographics played a big part in the election results. The political power gap between generations will probably only continue to widen as the elderly use their voting power to keep the conservative Saenuri party in power, so as long as they can find someone who can keep his eyes uncrossed long enough to make short addresses on the state-controlled news networks, I think there's no reason to double-down on an unpopular leader.

Hehe at least she is doing better than Benazir Bhutto.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DJ BK posted:

south korean generals salivate at the thought of getting what the north koreans have, and we can't let that happen because japan will bomb the u.s. if they are allowed to have it too
or wait are you guys east asia policy wonks too?

I really dont think the ROK want lovely fragile awful Nork bombs that are barely truck mobile when ROK could easily build a modern bomb themselves if they felt like it. It's not like nuclear weapons are arcane magic.

icantfindaname posted:

How friendly are the SK and Chinese governments? Why would SK agree with China to withdraw itself from geopolitics all for the grand prize of 25 million starving refugees? Even if China gave them money to rebuild it would still be a massive headache at best

The big thing to remember about reunification is that Korea has been a unified cultural nation-state for hundreds of years. The East/West German split was inflicted on a nation that had existed for less than a hundred years among a culture famous for its high degree of fragmentation, where different dialects are practically different languages. If you look at Korea from a cold war influenced western perspective you see a clear divide that the Koreans likely see as more of a temporary jurisdictional division.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 6, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyZCGi01MC0

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It definitely seems to come up with some frequency.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

gently caress you Otomo, I'd trust a robot over a tired, overworked orderly any day of the week. :colbert:

Also here's a real gem that was posted 'Live from Seoul'!

http://www.dailynk.com/english/read.php?cataId=nk03600&num=12385

My favorite part is that it only takes a few paragraphs before veering into open propaganda:

quote:

Scholars have three criteria for measuring change in a communist state. The first is the restoration of private property, the second is the acknowledgement of profit, and the third is the introduction of the market system. These three are like a trinity that explains a single characteristic of capitalist economy from varying angles. This is because there must be a market for profit to occur and the conceptualization of profit is not possible without the recognition of private property. Marx-Engels did away with all three from mankind.

Scholars do not have any measurements related to the personal liberties or quality of life guaranteed for citizens because

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Is South Korea - sorry I mean False Korea - building an army of autonomous humanoid Samsung-branded terminators as a precautionary measure?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Is South Korea - sorry I mean False Korea - building an army of autonomous humanoid Samsung-branded terminators as a precautionary measure?

Ha, of course not! However, if a private citizen chooses to contract the building of one or more death robots from his preferred manufacturer, this is well within the the parameters of a properly functioning market society.

Serious question: how likely is it that one of the exiled/estranged older brothers might suddenly be welcomed home? Similarly, would they really entertain the idea of letting big sis run the show?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I am saddened that many see the downfall of the ultimate realization of dialectical materialism as a cause for celebration. Humans are social beings in nature, and Juche gives proof to this truth.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Horrible posted:

Ha, of course not! However, if a private citizen chooses to contract the building of one or more death robots from his preferred manufacturer, this is well within the the parameters of a properly functioning market society.
Samsung can't make a robot if there is no iRobot for Samsung to rip off.

quote:

Serious question: how likely is it that one of the exiled/estranged older brothers might suddenly be welcomed home? Similarly, would they really entertain the idea of letting big sis run the show?

China is keeping one of Kim3's older brothers well fed and live in Macau. It's more of a "Plan C". Kim3 have killed off the part of the Kim family that had good relation with China. This guy's son is on Wechat.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 6, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

None of the other Kim children really have a power base either, though. Any one of them would likely face the same problem that Jong Un has. Recall that Kim Jong Il spent decades under his father building and consolidating his, and largely during more prosperous times, while none of his own children have had that same opportunity. The best another Kim could hope for would probably to be installed as a figurehead puppet for either whoever has currently accumulated the most political capital if they felt for some reason they couldn't or would rather not be the public face of the government, or for a Chinese-backed government. But even then it probably doesn't last. If Jong Un is really out, it's probably over for the main branch Kims.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So who do you think broke Un's ankles?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

So who do you think broke Un's ankles?

Have to admit, this was my first thought.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
This is probably not a remarkable incident, but it does deserve note:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e736_story.html

quote:

Warships from the rival Koreas exchanged warning shots Tuesday after a North Korean ship briefly violated the disputed western sea boundary, a South Korean defense official said.

The shots were fired into the sea and there have been no reports of injuries and damage to the ships of either side, the official said on condition of anonymity, citing office policy.

Such exchanges are not uncommon at the sea boundary, the scene of several deadly maritime skirmishes between the Koreas in recent years. But the latest incident happened three days after a group of high-profile North Korean officials made a surprise visit to South Korea and agreed to resume senior-level talks.

South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Monday stressed the need to hold high-level talks on a regular basis, saying she hopes North Korea would show how sincere it is about improving ties.

The South Korean official said the North Korean ship was in South Korea-controlled waters for about 10 minutes before it retreated to its waters. He said a South Korea navy ship first broadcast a warning and then fired warning shots before the North Korean ship fired back at waters near the South Korean ship. The South Korean ship returned fire into the sea near the North Korean ship, the official said.

North Korean navy ships and fishing boats frequently violate the boundary drawn by the American-led U.N. command at the end of the Korean War in the early 1950s without the North’s consent. The line cuts North Korea off from rich fishing waters.

Sounds like a game of "Does this bother you? I'm not touching you."

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Lots of old people are nostalgic for Park Chun-hee. She did well enough to get elected, anyway, although I guess the Sewol thing gave her some image problems.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How come the last two South Korean disasters were both boat sinking? Was there any older major boat sinking accident from either Korea?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

whatever7 posted:

How come the last two South Korean disasters were both boat sinking? Was there any older major boat sinking accident from either Korea?

The boat of love :(

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

whatever7 posted:

South Korea has a proud history of ferries sinking and killing a vast amount of people every ~20 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Korean_ferry_disasters

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

South Korea's defense ministry just announced that North Korea is actually planning to invade this year:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/north-korea-planning-war-against-south-unify-two-koreas-says-seoul-1468788

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

South Korea's defense ministry just announced that North Korea is actually planning to invade this year:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/north-korea-planning-war-against-south-unify-two-koreas-says-seoul-1468788

That won't go well for North Korea.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I live in Gimpo. In the extremely unlikely event that anything does happen, how hosed am I by living right by an airport less than an hour from the border?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
With the South Korean Warship that sank was any credible explanation given for how an aging NK sub slipped into the middle of a training exercise with the US Navy, sank a warship and got away clean?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Sounds really silly now I'm typing it out, but I think I'll wait for confirmation from the North.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheBalor posted:

I live in Gimpo. In the extremely unlikely event that anything does happen, how hosed am I by living right by an airport less than an hour from the border?

Depends, how do you feel about the Kims?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Sounds really silly now I'm typing it out, but I think I'll wait for confirmation from the North.

Unironically quoting the IBTimes should feel silly.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Depends, how do you feel about the Kims?

The glorious Juche ideal must spread to all nations!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

With the South Korean Warship that sank was any credible explanation given for how an aging NK sub slipped into the middle of a training exercise with the US Navy, sank a warship and got away clean?

Diesel-electric subs, even old ones, are really loving quiet and difficult to detect, especially if you aren't actively looking for it. It's wouldn't even be the first time one has snuck into the middle of a USN combat group undetected.

I don't know if that's the official explanation since militaries tend not to like talking about their vulnerabilities, but it's most likely the actual explanation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The USN has laughable submarine detection capabilities too, so it's really not that unbelievable.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
As I understand it, Canadian subs regularly do that sort of thing during joint training maneuvers for the same reason. And I can only suppose that it's the type of thing that you want the relevant crew members to have experience dealing with.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Theris posted:

Diesel-electric subs, even old ones, are really loving quiet and difficult to detect, especially if you aren't actively looking for it. It's wouldn't even be the first time one has snuck into the middle of a USN combat group undetected.

I don't know if that's the official explanation since militaries tend not to like talking about their vulnerabilities, but it's most likely the actual explanation.

I thought it was an old sea mine? Did any NK submarine captain receive unusual promotion afterwards?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

The USN has laughable submarine detection capabilities too, so it's really not that unbelievable.

That's not true at all. The USN has some of the best detection capabilities in the world. The North Koreans used a midget submarine to launch a surprise attack against the ROKS Cheonan while the USN/ROKS were conducting exercises ~75 miles away. We're good, but we're not 75 miles good.

whatever7 posted:

I thought it was an old sea mine? Did any NK submarine captain receive unusual promotion afterwards?

A defector reported that the crew all won "Hero of the DPRK" medals, but who knows if it's true or not.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's not true at all. The USN has some of the best detection capabilities in the world. The North Koreans used a midget submarine to launch a surprise attack against the ROKS Cheonan while the USN/ROKS were conducting exercises ~75 miles away. We're good, but we're not 75 miles good.

Is it bad relative to our naval spending or just not bad at all then? I've read no shortage of people complaining about it (which evidently I took to be a very authoritative source).

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

South Korea has a proud history of ferries sinking and killing a vast amount of people every ~20 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Korean_ferry_disasters

The survival rate is improving, at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koramei posted:

Is it bad relative to our naval spending or just not bad at all then? I've read no shortage of people complaining about it (which evidently I took to be a very authoritative source).
People like to hurf durf about apocryphal stories of "Those Plucky (Insert Tiny Country Here)" sinking mighty US warships and thus proving that the US is really bad at everything always.

The truth is that if you know what you're doing with a diesel-electric sub you can make yourself incredibly difficult to find. The downside of course is that you can't do it for very long or very far from home and once you start moving you're easy to find again.