Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Bokbunja is by far the best mass market Korean alcoholic beverage.

If you really want to get ridiculously fancy and spend more than :10bux: then you can get 대나무주 from North Korea, but let's be real. No Korean is spending $40 on alcohol unless it's a western import.

makgeolli is the best korean booze imo and i wish it was easier to find in the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

makgeolli is the best korean booze imo and i wish it was easier to find in the states

Makgeolli is trash. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

There's another brand that's only like two bucks but it only shows up in weird markets. No idea how the fancy red bottle people get away with charging seven. Single-handedly holding raspberry wine back from its rightful place alongside soju and beer as widely consumed staple alcohol.
They get away with it by putting it in a fancy red bottle. Duh. :colbert:

I've been here more than 10 years and I don't think I've come across this one. Do you have a picture of it?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm not surprised. I've been here ten years too and only ever seen it in exactly two markets. And I'm the kind of guy who goes out of his way to look for this kind of stuff.

The one in the picture is from one I currently live next to. The other one, which you almost certainly have better access to if you want to seek it out, is the underground supermarket at Dangsan Station, exit ten or eleven I think, can't quite remember.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not surprised. I've been here ten years too and only ever seen it in exactly two markets. And I'm the kind of guy who goes out of his way to look for this kind of stuff.

The one in the picture is from one I currently live next to. The other one, which you almost certainly have better access to if you want to seek it out, is the underground supermarket at Dangsan Station, exit ten or eleven I think, can't quite remember.

I've seen this bottle, but never tried it. Don't live in Seoul.

Ever tried 대나무주? The stuff you can get at the DMZ border shops is insanely good.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Things have gotten very strange recently in North Korea, even by the standards of "this place that constantly has half-formed rumors coming out about things being weird"

It is very possible that the coronavirus was a bit too much setback and stability slide for the ruling class to handle well enough for their comfort. Some famine may be kicking up again. Either way it appears a loyalist contraction and/or leadership purge is occurring. Again.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kavros posted:

Things have gotten very strange recently in North Korea, even by the standards of "this place that constantly has half-formed rumors coming out about things being weird"

It is very possible that the coronavirus was a bit too much setback and stability slide for the ruling class to handle well enough for their comfort. Some famine may be kicking up again. Either way it appears a loyalist contraction and/or leadership purge is occurring. Again.

Tell me about Kim looking emaciated. wtf is that angle?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just assumed he was Scrooge McDuck diving into his country's ample supply of meth.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Apparently he did lose weight! As someone struggling with their own weight I think that's weirdly encouraging. :shobon:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Tell me about Kim looking emaciated. wtf is that angle?

Your guess is as good as mine. If any intelligence agency knows, they are not talking. Everyone else is just guessing based on the visible weight loss inbetween his appearances. "Emaciated" is their stretch verbiage. It fuels some clockwork click bait and not much else.

Kim likely does have some potentially severe health issues, and they have never compelled him to manage his weight in the past regardless, even though they *probably* were behind at least a percentage of his lengthier disappearances. A wake up moment from an acute health event leading to better health tendencies? The onset of greater health issues where weight loss from severe illness starts to become apparent? Him eating healthier and working out due to being tired of being obese from a diet of unworldly decadence inherited from his upbringing in what had ultimately already become an obscenely indulgent authoritarian monarchy? He got hip to the common folks and their cool new methamphetamine habits? Again, if anyone outside the inner circle of his ruling apparatus knows, they aren't talking.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Generally when a world leader starts losing a lot of weight it is a bad sign for their health. It takes a huge amount of self discipline and time to change fitness and dietary habits, neither of which totalitarian dictators have in surplus.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kavros posted:

Your guess is as good as mine. If any intelligence agency knows, they are not talking. Everyone else is just guessing based on the visible weight loss inbetween his appearances. "Emaciated" is their stretch verbiage. It fuels some clockwork click bait and not much else.

Kim likely does have some potentially severe health issues, and they have never compelled him to manage his weight in the past regardless, even though they *probably* were behind at least a percentage of his lengthier disappearances. A wake up moment from an acute health event leading to better health tendencies? The onset of greater health issues where weight loss from severe illness starts to become apparent? Him eating healthier and working out due to being tired of being obese from a diet of unworldly decadence inherited from his upbringing in what had ultimately already become an obscenely indulgent authoritarian monarchy? He got hip to the common folks and their cool new methamphetamine habits? Again, if anyone outside the inner circle of his ruling apparatus knows, they aren't talking.

Normally western media on NK is all horseshit or half of a half of truth, but are his people actually worried about him due to the weight loss? Seems insane but I've seen more than a few articles staying this.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Normally western media on NK is all horseshit or half of a half of truth, but are his people actually worried about him due to the weight loss? Seems insane but I've seen more than a few articles staying this.

In this case it is Pyongyang itself which was spearheading messaging on his weight.

quote:

North Koreans have been worrying tearfully about leader Kim Jong Un’s “emaciated” condition, state media quoted a local resident as saying, in a highly unusual broadcast that provided rare acknowledgement of foreign speculation about Kim’s weight loss.

quote:

“Our people’s hearts ached most when we saw [Kim’s] emaciated looks,” North Korean state TV cited the unidentified man as saying on Friday. “Everyone says their tears are welling up in their eyes naturally.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/29/slimmer-kim-prompts-heartbreak-in-north-korea

State media playing up his weight loss as hardship before any significant international scrutiny can begin, angling it as evidence of his devotion and hardworking toil (:rolleyes:). It's just one of the strange things happening right now, not at all the strangest, that points to instability. Probably indicating that their agriculture is desperately off the rails again and significant famine has already once again set in.

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

Kavros posted:

In this case it is Pyongyang itself which was spearheading messaging on his weight.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/29/slimmer-kim-prompts-heartbreak-in-north-korea

State media playing up his weight loss as hardship before any significant international scrutiny can begin, angling it as evidence of his devotion and hardworking toil (:rolleyes:). It's just one of the strange things happening right now, not at all the strangest, that points to instability. Probably indicating that their agriculture is desperately off the rails again and significant famine has already once again set in.

It's very much self inflicted damage though since there are ways to trade in a safe way. I think what has probably happened is that they have uncontrolled outbreaks already within the country where the only solution is to lock down and one of the knock on effects is to affect what goods they can trade for food across the Chinese border.

I'm sure there are parties inside the DPRK who are taking advantage of the lockdowns to consolidate their power as well. The thin Kim issue might be propaganda or perhaps he has a chronic or serious illness as well (there were rumors of a health scare last year), maybe due to Covid but probably unrelated.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well this came out of nowhere

https://twitter.com/BluRoofPolitics/status/1474180753902772225

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Apparently she's on death's door.
2. Korean justice seems to be reaaaaaaaaaally subjective and unkarmic.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I know I was elected to office on the back of massive nationwide protest movement against a corrupt and criminal president but what if -- and bear with me here -- I pardoned that president???

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr park. Respect

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

1. Apparently she's on death's door.
2. Korean justice seems to be reaaaaaaaaaally subjective and unkarmic.

putting her in jail for multiple years in the first place is more than you can say for most other countries tbh. is lee myung-bak still in jail?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

putting her in jail for multiple years in the first place is more than you can say for most other countries tbh. is lee myung-bak still in jail?
He's still serving 17 years

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Essentially a mercy release due to health status, as I hear it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Exit poll is surprisingly close. Dems down less than a point

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So is the chud going to win?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Seems pretty likely at this point, yep...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does Korea have seishain like Japan? My impression is that it's even worse working conditions than Japan but with American style at will employment?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
At least 149 dead in a stampede in Itaewon during the Halloween party. :(

https://www.cnn.com/webview/asia/live-news/seoul-south-korea-halloween-deaths/index.html?iid=cnn-mobile-app

EDIT: Up to 151 dead now. 97 women and 54 men

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20221030000006

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 30, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
This is heartbreaking. Itaewon's street and alleyway makeup creating human bottlenecks and a horrifying crush. Lots of narrow or angled alleyways. There's rumors about individual events causing a surge of people but it might have just been otherwise disorganized street overcrowding.

The videos of people trying to resuscitate victims and waiting for medical support is hard to see. So many people helping is good, but all of it is so senseless.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kavros posted:

The videos of people trying to resuscitate victims and waiting for medical support is hard to see. So many people helping is good, but all of it is so senseless.

Yes, it's so hard to watch. :(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Crowd crush is a terrible thing and a horrible way to go :(

Never seen one filmed from so many angles either. Disturbing viewing.

There are ways to prevent it with policed barriers restricting the amount of people entering the chokepoint, as well as making them entry and exit only so you don't have the opposing crowds snaking through each other. That's what the council and police do in my city during big events. Doesn't seem like they had any crowd control plan for this area at all unfortunately.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fanatic posted:

There are ways to prevent it with policed barriers restricting the amount of people entering the chokepoint, as well as making them entry and exit only so you don't have the opposing crowds snaking through each other. That's what the council and police do in my city during big events. Doesn't seem like they had any crowd control plan for this area at all unfortunately.
They had a lot of police in a different section of the city because they were anticipating protests. It doesn't seem they thought about the party in Itaewon at all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like the cops are investigating to see if they can identify people on the edges who were pushing and shoving. Guess if this actually happened and they are found they'd be on hook for manslaughter charges or something equivalent?

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/yhkqto/skorean_police_to_investigate_and_arrest_people/

Very good interview by someone who was there

https://mothership.sg/2022/10/singaporean-eyewitness-itaewon-stampede-cpr/

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 31, 2022

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Looks like the cops are investigating to see if they can identify people on the edges who were pushing and shoving. Guess if this actually happened and they are found they'd be on hook for manslaughter charges or something equivalent?

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/yhkqto/skorean_police_to_investigate_and_arrest_people/

I've never heard of the pushers being prosecuted before. It sounds like the crowd was moving fine before that started happening so maybe there's grounds for manslaughter.

The problem with crowd crushes is that the people at the back of the crowd don't realise the people at the front of the crowd are trapped (in this instance the front of the crowd collapsed due to the downward slope of the alley) and dying, so they keep pushing to reach their destination, which just exacerbates the situation. Such a lovely situation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems like a bit of a deflection by the authorities because in crowd crushes, the back of the surge does not know what's happening in the front of the surge and can't really be held responsible. However, if they're right about the pushers doing hand signs and group chants and poo poo to coordinate a push, goddamn that is pretty egregious behavior.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Saw some truly disturbing videos of the Itaewon crush on reddit. Really regret seeing that before I went to bed. Like Junji Ito level poo poo. 😩

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Saw some truly disturbing videos of the Itaewon crush on reddit. Really regret seeing that before I went to bed. Like Junji Ito level poo poo. 😩

Cannot emphasize enough, do not watch the videos

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
North launched missiles into the sea near Ulleungdo.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/evacuate-to-bunkers-seoul-issues-warning-as-n-korea-launches-missile-3481977

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So it seems a newly in-office right-wing moron has managed to single-handedly tank the entire bond market of Korea? https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1592218400197312512

I've been reading through this story and it's amazing, it's like what Liz Truss did to us here in Britain but somehow faster and worse.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yes, it's a disaster. Yoon's presidency is already in ruins.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, the Jajangmyeon served at that restaurant serving as a front for CCP secret police is the most pathetic I've ever seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comm...nt=share_button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
JFC North Korea is in even worse shape than I thought it was. Has anyone read this article? I knew it was bad, but I guess I didn’t realize just how bad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/bskbb4rmae/inside-north-korea

The only other country I know of with conditions this bad is Somalia, maybe Yemen if conditions haven’t improved there since fighting has died down.

Also, I was ignorant to the fact that apparently most the men in the country work during the day in what is basically compulsory slave-labor, since they’re paid too minuscule of an amount to feed their families, and thus in most North Korean families the wife works as the main breadwinner in the informal market economy.