Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mightypeon posted:

Nah, Il Sungs degree of ripping of was actually pretty normal. He could also, not unfactually, state that his North Koreans did kick the South Koreans in the Korean war, before the US/UN troops intervened. In their communications, they claimed it as a victory because the US agreed on a White peace, despite intervening directly and despite the Soviets not being forced to intervene directly themselfs. You can guess that the Chinese, especially a decade or so later, were kind of offended by this reasoning since it placed them a Tier below the Soviets, who sacrificed far less.

East Germany got offended because Yong-Il was like:

North Korea: "I should be the Showcase Nation to demonstrate the superiority of communism, East Germany is allready doing great!"
East Germany:"Do you know who builds your trains and gives them to you for basically free?"
North Korea: "Yeah, that totally proves my point, if you can give me stuff for free, I am so poor and you are so rich that you should give me more stuff for free!"
North Korea:" Dude where are my trains? East Germany? Hello?"

USSR got offended because Yong-Il seriously tried to popularize North korean Yuche Ideology in the Soviet Union. Parts of the KGB actually liked that, because North Koreas Propaganda efforts made the USSRs beurocracy/propaganda appear to be very rational, streamlined, transparent and efficient by comparison, but the Party higher ups were to offended by the thought of some random Kim trying to dare and teach them communism that they got rather mad.

They may still be ongoing, ill try to find some "Korea magazines" online somewhere. They were especially notable for being made from rare and high quality paper, with really good illustrations/fotos, and a level of written Russian that would come out if I run a German Rap Song through google translate with a maturity filter on.

E: tldr, Yong Il was really really horrible at anything resembling diplomacy

So how long was KJI running the show before KIS kicked the bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If you think it's a bad thing for the US give NK the opportunity for good optics and believe the only acceptable outcome is NK to give up their nukes, how, exactly, would you go about that diplomatically? What aspect of the last 60+ years of militarily-enforced isolation do you believe was effective to that end?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Putin posted:

The US holds most of the leverage in negotiations. There was no reason to give some of that up for nothing in return and certainly not in the fashion that it happened. Moon is either making GBS threads himself right now or is the dumbest of the three because apparently Trump negotiated away a JOINT exercise for nothing without consulting nor even informing Moon ahead of time. I bet Moon regrets getting this meeting back on track.

The entire reason that we've had a stalemate on the peninsula for nearly 70 years is that we've already exhausted our non-military leverage. We rightly decided that the risk of going to war with a non-nuclear NK was not worth escalation, and now that they're nuclear, we have even less leverage.

The solution to a nuclear NK would have been to abide by our agreements in the 90s and 00s, giving them reason to do likewise. I guess I won't say that they'll never give them up, but they will demand extraordinary concessions that they'll be skeptical that we'll ever abide by.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Putin posted:

That’s just flat out wrong. The only reason Kim is even blackmailing anybody is because he wants economic aid. That’s a lever but it has to be properly managed based on the overall scenario.

Did our aid agreements get them to dismantle their artillery? Is the expectation that we will hold out aid until they denuclearize?

Isn't the endgame of that approach mass starvation, by the way?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Look, I agree that this not a particularly good way to handle diplomacy and that we're very unlikely to see a substantive agreement come out of the process. I also know that we have a belligerent simpleton with a fetish for nukes in the White House. If this is what it takes to keep him from literally taunting a nuclear-armed country, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

*Ron Howard narration* It won't.

Maybe not! We do have a goldfish-for-brains president. But this is still a better present state of affairs than we had a year ago. Hopefully it mollifies Trump, and maybe it will open up room for future administrations to engage in an actual diplomatic process.