Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

c0ldfuse posted:

SK is really nice and I highly recommend visiting. Old palaces are pretty boring but the food and drinking culture is among the best of anywhere I've been.

Soju is the strangest spirit--you seem to get punch drunk immediately and it wears off equally fast with minimal hangover.

Are... are you sure you went to South Korea? On Earth?
I've lived and worked in SK for the last few years. The old palaces here are awesome, but unfortunately mostly restorations thanks to the Japanese smashing up everything while they were occupying (see some Important Intangible Cultural Properties instead).
The food culture is okay, especially outside of Seoul, but can't really hold a candle to the rest of Asia. The drinking culture is great if you like to get really drunk all the time.

Also congratulations on drinking the correct amount of Soju (ie: not enough) because a Soju hangover is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Anyway, all of my friends here are early-20s to early-30s and exactly zero of them are in favor of reunification. The only people I know who are even sympathetic to the idea are my girlfriend's parents, because there's a branch of her grandmother's family still in the north. Even they are quick to point out that it would wreck the economy. Really, every day that passes means there's fewer people around that actually lived in a unified Korea, and fewer people that are willing to entertain the idea of reunification. I think, frankly, the window has passed.
It's worth noting, too, that the North has been sending barely-competent spies to SK for years, as well as state-sponsored terrorist agents (like with Korean Air Flight 858) with the understanding that they'll get caught. So now, for the few Northerners that do make it to the South, they're universally distrusted. Combine that with almost no useful modern-world skills, they end up working as farmhands, diner cooks, or prostitutes and barely eke by. Basically trading their lovely life in the North for a lovely life in the South.

I think someone mentioned it in the thread before, and they were definitely on the money: if the North collapses tomorrow, the South will probably - at best - do a bunch of hand-wringing and make some token gestures, but there's no way in hell they'd open the borders. It'd mean China gets saddled with 24 million starving people without any real assets, and a gigantic pain in the rear end territory dispute with an American-backed South Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

whatever7 posted:

Changing the younger generations opinion is easy. SK citizens are some of the most patriotic people I know. The SK media will go super drive to make the young people support the reunification cause when SK have the chance to make a difference.

Fat loving chance. SK students are taught since kindergarten that reunification is the wonderful glorious future that we need to work for and once we heal that wound everything will be good forever. The schools I used to teach at did yearly plays for the parents about reunification. There are TV specials where poor old ladies talk about reunification with tears in their eyes. Short of trotting out Girls' Generation to sing songs about reunification* they're doing just about everything they can to push the one Korea = good Korea angle and absolutely no one is buying it.

Surprise! Everyone is too concerned about getting a decent job or making rent or trying to get laid. Exactly like everyone else.

Turns out you can't "make young people support" a vision of the future where their and their children's generation will be even more completely economically devastated in order to get a cleaner map and some gypsum mines by 2080 or whatever.

Between this one and the China thread you really seem to love posting out and out bullshit.

*this won't work either because the only people who actually watch k-pop are lonely white people and older korean perverts

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell kind of bullshit is this? I teach at a Korean High School so I know that this is laughably untrue.

I'm joking, of course, but only half joking. Take a look at the audience demographics for K-pop in general. It's definitely big with young Korean women, but once they drop off the adjussis start to pick it up around late 20s-early 50s - and lately foreigners.

At any rate it'll serve for lousy propaganda because it's not hooking college kids or young professionals.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Grouchio posted:

And nukes. :gonk:

No we won't. Don't be an idiot (and don't poo poo up other threads)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

J-rock is the only form of Asian pop music even remotely tolerable, so if that's true that's pretty much all you need to condemn the dude IMO

Park's relationship with rock is hosed up for real. He commissioned the father of nascent Korean rock, Shin Jung-hyun, to write a NK-esque praise anthem about him. Shin told him to go gently caress himself and as a result was harassed, wrongfully imprisoned for posession, and he was banned from all public performances. Park continued suppressing rock and the culture associated with it after Shin's ban. By the time Park died it was too late, and what would become proto-K-pop had sunk its claws deep already, and the scene was already gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTD5mFc2zU
Haunting, soulful psychedelic rock. This is really the direction Korean music was going (away from trot), but without rock (and Shin) it devolved into the garbage pap that South Korea shits out every year. It's not really getting any better, either - K-pop still makes too much money selling borderline softcore to SE Asia, and now Koreaphile white kids are opening up as a market. It'll never really hit in America, but it'll do well enough so that the music coming out of Korea will continue to suck for a long time.

Korea actually has a really great punk/metal scene, but the vast majority of the bands fizzle out when they have to do their forced conscription. However, one of the best punk shows I've ever seen anywhere was an all-female four piece that absolutely killed it, so maybe there is hope for the future.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

a few decades of steady growth in China's economic and military power relative to the US

Hmm, yes. Thank you for posting on the Something Awful forums, Xi Jinping. 7% for all eternity.

No where for China to go but up uP UP!

*7% plummet, selling bans extended*

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Juffo-Wup posted:

Astute geopolitical analysis from forums posters -Troika- and zimboe. Really deep stuff here.

There's a reason zimboe has his red text.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
"oh man u guys ever play cod???? what if"
- this thread

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Bluedeanie posted:

It seems to have at least momentarily stumbled the US and Chinese stock markets, but I imagine there were other announcements they could have made to disrupt those markets that were easier and required less foresight.

This was due to projections of a decelerating Chinese manufacturing sector, not ~nork nukes~

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Citation?

The tunnels can maybe permit 2-3000 people/hour. I toured the third one a few years ago and it's a cramped, claustrophobic, lovely walk for the 500m or whatever exists on the SK side.

A lot of the "They can move 30,000 men an hour! With weapons! They have resupply bases in there! There are upwards of 20 tunnels!" stuff you hear is from conservative SK politicians for whom being tough on NK is like being tough on drugs/crime for an American politician.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Grouchio is a consistently terrible poster who is loving salivating for death and mayhem, especially in Asia for whatever reason. To my knowledge he hasn't actually contributed anything to any (at least D&D) thread other than what he keeps contributing here.

Grouchio stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Everyone involved in this whole disaster/scandal/bizarre cultist conspiracy are really just horrible, disgusting human beings, backwards and forwards.

안철수 must be getting pretty pumped. If this doesn't tank Saenuri then I just don't know what the gently caress.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
So there is like a tradition (cultural concept?) of scholarly dispute/protest in Korean culture called 시국선언 (shi-guk-seon-eok). Recently, universities and student activist groups have been holding what they've been calling 시굿선언 (shi-gut-seon-ok).

It's a play on words: 굿 (gut, sounds like guk) is the word for a shamanistic ritual that asks the gods/spirits to intervene in the mortal world during catastrophe or otherwise troubled times.

So they're staging mock rituals asking gods to intervene against their poo poo-awful president and her puppetmaster-shaman as protest. Pretty clever!

https://www.facebook.com/UNIVtomorrow/videos/1271559769573289/ (starts at 6:30, dancing at 10:00)
Here's a video of the one my wife's alma mater hosted yesterday. The school has a really great dance program, so they went all out on the traditional music and dancing. It's really cool.

e: good spellin'

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Hwang Gyo-an remains head of state until May (things move fast there!) when Moon Jae-in is inevitably elected president.

It's awesome. No conservative escaped clean from the fetid shitpile of the Park presidency and they're not going to be able to field a candidate with any sort of chance at the office for... a while at least.

Also lol at the violent protests from the "pro-Park supporters" going on right now. I guess a couple hundred people found out that they weren't going to get paid for this poo poo after all!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Reunification is dead in the water. NK knows it's a pipe dream, and loving nobody in SK actually wants to collapse their economy for the ~pride of true Choseon~ or whatever the gently caress

TsarZiedonis posted:

...and at least enough of the South Korean public would be alright with it because the North has well established racial purity bona fides...

Is just totally loving wrong and blatantly racist. I don't read Myers and I don't know if this is something you got from him or you made up yourself but I'm really finding it difficult to articulate how dumb an idea of this is and how insanely orientalist it is.

South Koreans, a people who fought tooth and nail for a true republic and just ousted their democratically-elected president in large part due to an amazing, massive, sustained nonviolent protest would be alright with resigning themselves to a life under the heel of a Kim because they're ~racially pure~. Go gently caress yourself. Or, gently caress BR Myers. Or both.

Moon Jae-in will likely take a (slightly) warmer stance on NK which will do a lot better than the SK conservative HARD ON COMMIES that has done nothing except keep getting them elected by an increasingly elderly constituency. He's not going to "give in" to China (why would he? to what benefit? They'll ease up on Lotte? :lol:). The only real question is THAAD but they're trying to cram it in ASAP and he'll probably acquiesce.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

I can kinda see how he's getting that from reading Myers, but I surmise that it's based on a partial reading. You certainly wouldn't get that viewpoint from his interviews and talks.

The furthest Myers goes in that direction is to say that he finds South Koreans to be almost as xenophobic as North Koreans at times, and is disturbed by South Korean media that buys into the idea that the DPRK is the truly Korean Korea for Koreans. And that the Korean people are more patriotic about the concept of minjok than they are about their actual state. (If I remember right, ROK soldiers started pledging loyalty to the state rather than the minjok just a few years ago.)

But he states much more emphatically that if you ask a South Korean about reunification, they want it "someday," i.e. not at all, because of the huge cost. And because of a general lack of interest on the part of anyone who isn't old. He event mentioned that most of the students in his DPRK-related classes are foreign students.

Edit: Oh, I see you live in Korea. He mentioned in an interview that there was a popular movie last year about a joint DPRK-ROK operation to catch a gang of Northern defectors, and that the Northern officer was played by a "cool Tom Cruise type" while his Southern counterpart was a doddering bureaucrat. Can you tell me what the hell movie it was?

I'm sick at home so I took some time to read a little more of what I could find from Myers so I think maybe I understand a bit better than I did a few hours ago. The previous poster's understanding of Myers is still totally wrong, but also I think there is still something off of Myers' conception of minjok. I'm no... uh... Pyongyangologist, but it always seemed to me a far more romantic, almost abstract, notion than eg. when he argues that SK "excused" the Cheonan sinking because of it. I mean, it's still conceals that weird orientalist canard of "the Korean people CARE SO MUCH ABOUT THEIR PURE RACE" -- which I guess he needs to do because he literally wrote a book about that -- but at least in South Korea I have not found that to be true outside of, like, arch-conservative political groups.

I also think you're thinking of Confidential Assignment. I haven't seen it but my wife says it was "pretty good".

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Fojar38 posted:

Abandoning THAAD would absolutely look like giving in to China regardless of the real reasons because China has been publicly melting down over it ever since it was first announced. Moon Jai-in will probably be forced to keep it for that reason alone.

I think it's becoming pretty clear that it's an example of Jae-in being good at politics.
He'll complain about THAAD but offer no real resistance because:
1) There is no cost and nothing to lose by making GBS threads on Trump
2) He'll get a baked-in excuse to China at the start of his presidency (the old administration did that thing you hate! Too late now~) and can maybe avoid whatever concession they're angling for
3) It'll do enough to placate the conservative pro-military, pro-US, anti-communist political factions while still letting him dunk on PGH forever

and you're right that even if he thinks it's a terrible idea for a thousand other reasons, there's nothing left to do because it will look like he's giving in

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Accretionist posted:

I read The Cleanest Race and remember racial purity being discussed in relation to, specifically, North Korea propaganda. I don't remember a tie-in to the south or actual culture.

Iirc, he argued that the central conceit of North Korea propaganda is that, "the Korean people are too pure blooded, and therefore too virtuous, to survive in an inherently evil world without a great paternal leader," hence the propaganda being bizarrely paternalistic with lots of references to the Korean people's mythic origins and the Kims' proximity thereto. And, again, I remember this being discussed in relation to the propaganda and what the (North Korean) state pushes.

I haven't read that (although at this point I guess I should) but was going off of this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/opinion/28myers.html
Where he says stuff like

BR ''''''''''Korea Expert'''''''''' Myers posted:

In South Korea, however, the North’s human rights abuses are routinely shrugged off with reference to its supposedly superior nationalist credentials. One often hears, for example, the mistaken claim that Mr. Kim’s father, Kim Il-sung, purged his republic of former Japanese collaborators, in alleged contrast to the morally tainted South.
and I wonder who the hell he's been talking to because that flies in the face of like... literally every single Korean person I've ever met, ever.

To his credit, I guess, I do agree that there is an undercurrent of "Koreans are too virtuous and naive and so are able to be easily taken advantage of" in South Korean culture but I think you have to reach pretty loving far to pin it on "...because they think they're too pure-blooded" for South Koreans. I don't know if it's because he's spent too long nose-deep in NK propaganda that now everything is colored a certain way to him but I think it might do him well to talk to his students sometimes, or something.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The sunshine policy was pretty much the only thing that worked, ever. When the conservatives came into office they shut it down because STRONG ON COMMIES~!

Also it's hosed up Hong even got as far as he did. I don't know if you guys ever saw any of his interviews or anything but he's a real piece of work.