Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Happy Dokdo Day, everyone. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Happy belated Pepero Day, everyone!

TenementFunster posted:

oh boy! they’ll finally be able to use that lil’ potemkin train station! and to think just a few months ago, i laughed about how overly optimistic it seemed to me. western media never covered how much the korean public wants reunification. to think that we were the biggest obstacle!

It seems every Korean I talk to seems to view unification as just a burden that the South will have to pay for to get nearly nothing in return.

I do agree though that China and America are probably some of the biggest obstacles to reunification, but it's hard to imagine the North or South would ever willingly give up their governments without a very strong reason.

Now Dokdo... Now there's something the Koreans have endless passion for!

Is this thread solely about North Korea? Or is there any discussion about South Korea here as well (aside from in the context of more North Korea)?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

I've mostly given up posting here because domestic South Korean politics is almost always dead on arrival here even if it is absolutely on topic. But hey, let's give it a go. Do the Korean people you talk to also blame the stalled economy on the minimum wage hike?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), people seem to be mostly apolitical unless it's about North Korea or Dokdo. Or at least they don't talk to me about it.

...mostly Dokdo.

I asked someone about it after reading your post, and she said "politics is dead", whatever that means. I think the younger generation just doesn't really care. Or maybe just those around me?
I guess it just means people have the luxury to not care about politics.

The only real politics I heard was when I briefly caught some rumblings about immigration reform or something on account of Asian (and maybe Russian?) immigrants in larger cities, but I don't remember the details much. Koreans are generally pretty anti-immigrant, which I find unfortunate.

And also that one time I was taken out to dinner by a co-worker, who, just as we finished eating, decided to get reaaaal up in my face, pointing at me and everything, and tell me Park and her government were "pure" (which he said like 20 times) and that the liberals were ruining the country, and a bunch of "arayo? arayo?" ("Do you understand? Do you understand?") for like 30 minutes. And I just sat there slowly eating the rest of my pie, hoping it would eventually end.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 14, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

The most intriguing aspect of South Korea to me is the combination of the power of the chaebols combined with being one of the most high tech nations in the world. It really looks like the nascent arrival of a dystopian corporate state. The amount of ex-leaders of SK who have been prosecuted or removed by scandal involving corporate interests seems to show where all the real power lies. In that way it's rather frightening.

It's crazy to think how much control Naver and Daum have over every Korean's information.

(Then again, Google and Facebook...)

Almost as crazy as Korea's religious devotion to Internet Explorer.

It's hilarious that these "high tech" countries like Korea and Japan are full of old people who have never touched a computer and continue to buy the latest in fax technology.
And yet my rice cooker can buy stocks.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

the random dioramas of Dokdo sprinkled throughout various metro stations and museums were one of my favorite parts of Korea. i made sure to always get a picture

I love those too! I also end up taking a picture of them even though I know I've already got photos of them, haha.

There's a massive model of Dokdo along the coast not far from where I am. Much taller than a person, each island about the size of a bus or bigger.
As well as several other smaller models and monunents elsewhere along the coast.

It's also sprinkled all over town on various things. There's even a Dokdo "business room" not far from the office of the Dokdo Foundation, which is also very near me.

It's kind of funny to me to see the massive Dokdo sign in a place called Jukdo (which is the Korean reading of Takeshima, Japan's name for Dokdo).

And Dokdo-ro, a monthly (?) publication to get all your Dokdo news that I see in one of my schools all the time. Not to mention all the Dokdo-based things the kids make themselves.

There's also a "4D" Dokdo virtual reality tour you can go on at one of the museums with one of those stationary roller coaster things.

I also really like that when they fired that French guy a while back for teaching "French culture" by kissing students, the article about it read like his real crime was when he claimed Takeshima belonged to Japan.

Kind of mad they scheduled my trip to Dokdo during rainy season and then were shocked when it drizzled a bit and their backup "plan" was to just have us tour the small city I already lived in for anything Dokdo related. So I still haven't gotten to see this mystical island of irrefutable Koreanness.

I might encounter more Dokdo things day-to-day because I live in the prefecture that claims it as its territory, but it's amazing how much they want these islands (well, probably the island's nearby resources rather than the land itself).

Edit: I also really love that this thread's tag (only in the app apparently) says "Asia" and then has the Japanese word for "Japan" on it.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 16, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

hey now

it's also the chinese word for japan

It is also, to some degree, the South Korean word for Japan.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Going from Korea to Japan mid-boycott at this very moment.

I didn't get any of those $10 flights though. :(

The students learned I was going, and all week, I've had students coming to my office to tell me, "No, Japan bad! Don't go there!" but then also, "Bring back snacks," haha.

They're taking the boycott pretty seriously though. I've had to answer even for the Daiso bag that I carried stuff in with one day.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 11, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Disappointed but not terribly surprised that the thread would rather have weird technical discussions about whether or not North Korea is a feudalist country than talk about this story. Although I guess it doesn't help that you didn't give anyone the hook that would make them interested in it.

This is the Memories of Murder guy.

I look at this thread every once in a while to see if anyone is saying anything about South Korea, but it's always everyone hypothesizing about North Korea. Maybe we need two threads? And a thread DMZ too.

The boycott is still going in full swing, which is hilarious.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went to Seoul on Hangeul Day to check out the Hangeul Festival at the King Sejeon statue, but it turns out all the conservatives in Korea had a similar idea for their day off.

There were massive anti-Mun / "Park is pure and innocent and also Christianity or something" protests. Just block after block of protestors wielding Korean - and for some reason, American flags. For every Korean flag there was at least one American flag.

Some one had a flag that said "America form blood bond with Korea." Absolutely bizarre.

A couple of Israel flags too. And one Hong Kong flag, though of course no one knew what it was. (Even though on closer inspection the word "Hong Kong" is written right on the flag.)

Lots of chants of kill Mun Jae-in or how he's selling South Korea to North Korea.

Turns out the Hangeul Festival was just one wall of people away in the other direction I walk away from, so that sucks. I only found it after it finished. But I got a cool, blinky South Korea bow from the protestors, so 10/10 would recommend.

I can post pictures if people care, but I'm lazy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mira posted:

I would love to see pictures of this.

Sorry, I struggle with chronic laziness.

So it turns out the protesters really love ruining festivals, because I went back to Seoul two weeks later, and there was another huge swath of them!

I finally overcome the many obstacles in my life and personality and filtered down the images for people's consumption:
https://imgur.com/a/BqzUsUT

(Here is a less filtered version of the same day if you still want more photos: https://imgur.com/a/v0RtGYm)

And here's the Kimchi Day protests:
https://imgur.com/a/UCSwzn5

I take an insane person's amount of photos.However many photos you think that is, I take 10x that many.

Here are probably the most important photos though:

^ This guy was overjoyed when I gave him a thumbs up.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Are those Park Geun-hye supporters?

I didn't realise there would be any.

Last year my coworker invited me out to dinner. He acted real weird as he often does, but nothing out of the ordinary. And then at the very, very end of the meal, he looks right at me and keeps repeating over and over, "Park Geun-hye is pure. 알겠어? 알겠어? Park Geun-hye is pure." and pointing his finger at me in my face. We had never talked even remotely about politics before so it just came out of nowhere. I agreed with him over and over, but he just kept repeating it. Then we finished eating, eventually talked some more about other things, went home, and carried on as usual for the rest of the year.

In general, she seems to be pretty popular among the insane and il-informed (olds and religious).

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 19, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

U.S. breaks off talks with South Korea over costs of military alliance

Looks like trump the accidental tankie is working hard to scuttle this alliance. Meanwhile, SK just signed a defense agreement with the PRC that involves closer cooperation and a direct hotline between both countries militaries.

Some guy at the first protest was trying to convince me to ally with Korea, and I reminded him that just a few days ago, Trump betrayed our valuable Kurdish allies seemingly for no reason (I mean other than personal gain). He thought about it for a brief second and then brushed it off and continued imploring America to ally with Korea. Even though we are already allies.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

North Korea has not actually threatened to blow South Korea up for a very long time. As in, the last time it happened was before most of us were even born. Their bile in this regard is largely reserved for us.

It's more recent than Japan, but I still hear daily "Japan No!!!"

Also, apparently the Park supporters think that Mun Jae-in is trying to betray and sell South Korea to North Korea. There's a picture of a banner of him standing obediently next to Kim's desk in one of my trillion of photos I posted.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boredsatellite posted:

My mother isn't a Park support but she's a conservative that believes in that

In believe that is caused by the youtube garbage she's been watching

The more I learn about her father and also his treaty with Japan, the less Korean politics and attitudes make any sense. :psyduck:
I mean it seems to be par for the course for politics, bit still.

I also like that Japan funded my city's only industry and most famous company with the money that was supposed to go to the victims and their families.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hosed up if true.

Is this something the general populous is aware of? And to what degree does the Korean government / people deny / affirm these things?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

Tell me what you all would've done.

The best option is containment. North Korea will NEVER accept us having a nuclear umbrella with South Korea and Japan, and they aren't going to EVER denuclearize

Use our space lasers to draw dickbutts in the grass outside Kim Jong-un's house and places of business obviously.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

No, it's about FYGM.

They know how much they'd have to spend to bring the North up to the South's standards and they don't want to.

This is what I hear a lot when I talk to younger Koreans too.

It's a shame really. Not that they should only want to help people similar to them.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

It would be pretty interesting if Trump made some sort of secret concession to NK to get them to not do anything.

One hundred of our finest chocolate cakes to not blow up Seoul this Christmas.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

I think he's more worried about Trump than anything

Aren't we all?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I wonder what this graph-maker was thinking putting the bars in reverse-chronological order. I had to read this chart like 3 times to figure out what was happening. If it weren't for your post, I wouldn't have even noticed I was reading it backwards. And why is it a bar graph???

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

Korean KFC fails for their lack of biscuits. At least down here in Gyeongsangnamdo.

This is a thing I didn't realize was important until I had KFC biscuits at the airport on a trip back to the US.

I'm pretty sure they have biscuits available. At least here in Gyeongsangbuk-do.

Did American KFCs have the pizza abomination?

I decided to stay a couple weeks here in Korea so I could catch the Jeju Fire Festival, but it's been cancelled. :(

And on top of that, my flight out of Korea has been pushed forward 3 days. Though I'm not sure what the 3 days will do to help for a flight 3 weeks from now.

Church battle!

Edit: went to KFC in Seoul and can confirm: biscuits.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 29, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to get really boxed in here. So many countries are closing their borders to flights from Korea. I just got a notice that my own flight has been blocked. This is certainly not fun. I wasn't really paying attention to previous pandemics, but this seems pretty unprecedented, right? All this because of that one cult.

I had to spend several hours in line for corona screening because I had to go to the hospital for something.
I went, they asked if I had been to Gyeongbuk, I said yes, and then they said I had to come back later in the afternoon.
So I came back, got inside, then got asked again, I said yes again, and was told to go to a screening location.
I waited for there in line for hours. But at the end, they just asked me if I had been to Gyeongbuk, which was the whole reason I was put in the line in the first place, then they immediately let me go.
Then I got back in and they tell me it's too late in the afternoon to get my exam. :bang:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boredsatellite posted:

Hah get hosed conservatives

HAH

Haha, excellent!

A friend of mine said his co-worker said of my city: "They'd vote for a dog if it wore a red jacket!" which is my new favorite phrase.

I hope he's okay. :ohdear:

I've been trying to extend my stay here in the safety of Korea, and I went to get my visa re-extended, and I got a new piece of paper in my passport that says another month. Then while on the train, I looked at the document I signed and it said I was denied extension of visa. And the sticker in my passport is subtly different than my last extension. But it also says my leaving date is later. I'm so confused...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 27, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

Immigration were, from what I had heard, giving extensions on people's ARC leave date. Meaning if your ARC expired on April 6, you would typically be told to leave by May 6 but they started giving an extra month due to the coronavirus stuff. Unless that's not what you're talking about then who the hell knows. Immigration in Korea is pretty dreadful in terms of giving you useful info when you call/go in to ask questions.

I mean, I saw an ajae coughing into their hands without a mask on and spitting onto the sidewalk down by the local emart today, so that first bit I still sorta stick by. The latter was more aimed at the super christian weirdos in Daegu and it's double lol given the same poo poo is happening in the US right now.

No, that was an automatic extension to April 30th. My flight was for May 1st, so I went in to get an extension:
So they gave me this:

The second time I went in, this time without a flight or anything, I got this:

which seems fine?
But also this:

So now the question is, which is it?

The conversation wasn't tremendously clear when I was in the office, so I had left after seeing my passport feeling like I had an extension, but now I'm so confused. Getting to the office to ask them again isn't easy. Though maybe I can have a Korean call them.
Should I ask the US Embassy?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Dunno if you eventually got help or not, but I would absolutely ask the embassy.

Sorry, forgot to post an update: I went to the immigration office and asked and they said the June date was correct. The paper was probably given to me by accident.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's on these pamphlets? Does anyone have a picture of them?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I like this a lot. North Korea is probably the number one place in the world I wish I could visit safely.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Korea Thread: Get Naked and make a Video with a Lowly Subordinate of the Workers' Party

I like this too.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are we talking about the US stimulus check or is there a Korean one I may potentially qualify for that I'm unaware of? The US one can be direct deposited.

Is there a new one? Come on Trump, I need more socialism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mods!