Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
NK is such a deluded shitstorm of a country that it's almost impossible for it to improve its situation on its own. I'd say its fair, and I'd say it is just going to get worse. If their collapse wasn't such a massive problem for everybody involved I'd say it would have already happened...I mean it has been subsidized throughout it's entire existence, first by USSR/China, now USA/China/SK. One of the famines would probablly resulted into a revolution without external aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Pretty sure South Koreans are big enough fans of their democracy and human rights that they'd rather not unify at all then have some weird inferior part in their nation. I don't know why there couldn't be a transitional period of decade or two where NK is still a separate entity under international observation during which US/China/SK bring it up to bare minimum of infrastructure/economy for it to actually be a viable other half of unification.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
...I always thought fan death is some surreal internet joke about Koreans...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TheImmigrant posted:

Wiki's piece on Fan Death meshes with what I remember.

:wtc:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd like to visit Korea but my melanin count is pretty high and I heard it's racist as poo poo there...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

whatever7 posted:

I disagree with you guys arguing semantic of NK's worker quality. Once SK absort NK, it will give a major demographical boost to Korea, and it will emerge as bigger and stronger nation than Japan 20 years later.

Well like India and China can tell you, more people isn't always better. And I'm pretty sure the combined population will be smaller then Japan's.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

whatever7 posted:

First of all, how is it not good for China?

Secondly, its not so good for India because India is basically people of different nations (castes) physically live together.

I...uh...are you aware of the concept of overpopulation? Do you think China instituted one-child policy because they hate children?

It's not so good for India for the exact same reasons it was bad for China or still is for a shitload of African/Asian nations - increased population growth without accompanying equivalent economic rise is not a good thing for reasons that should be obvious.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 16, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

whatever7 posted:

I actually have heard this year that NK outsourced programmers to China, the project leader could communicate in English. This was a shock to me, because it implied the NK state machine and higher educational system had not deteriorated.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_North_Korea#Higher_education

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RuanGacho posted:

I've never understood the attitude that the US is able to build anything infrastructure or economy wise when we've been actively trying to let roads go to gravel for over a decade now.

We succeed in having a first world county in spite of our politics, not because of them.

You're pretty decent in doing it in other countries where you actually have willing partners, etc. Marshall Plan, Japan, and so on. SK would probably be running things on the ground anyway, and SK has a very good semi-recent track record of building up economy/infrastructure, as does China.

And no, I think for a long while American politics were pretty stellar in comparison to the rest of the world. Then the Republican Party went batshit insane and neoliberals started basically stopping anything that didn't line the pockets of them and their friends. The "rebuilding" of Iraq was headed by the unholy combination of both and well, the result was about what you could expect. You would have had better results just dropping 10% of the money wasted from planes over Baghdad and promising to drop the rest if the Iraqis overthrew Saddam and held free elections.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 17, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WarpedNaba posted:

Works for corporations, who's to say it won't work for countries?

Well it's not like we have a particular lack of examples for countries...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baudolino posted:

Very often they do. In fact most of europe is comprised of quite poor nations with almost no economic growth where you must rely on yourself and your family or perish. Don`t assume it`s like Sweden everywhere.

"Most of Europe"? European Union is "Most of Europe" and I wouldn't characterize any of them with that description. Sure, there are regional differences, but it's not like United States doesn't have those.