Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Could the Disneyland goon just take over if Un kicks the bucket?

As for reunifcation, I thought the latest trend was that ROKs didn't really want it any more. And considering how the German one went (and really is still ongoing) I can't really blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not very, IIRC Southern activists already (used to?) launch balloons with propaganda material over the border.

Do they have enough private PCs over there to actually use the USB drives? I can imagine mass produced dvd players being cheap as poo poo, but computers still being somewhat difficult to get and not to mention fully use without the net.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently due to the isolation, the concept of political correctness never reached NK:

quote:

On Saturday, the North's powerful National Defense Commission, the country's top governing body led by Kim, said that Obama was behind the release of "The Interview." It described the movie as illegal, dishonest and reactionary.

"Obama always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest," an unidentified spokesman at the commission's Policy Department said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

It wasn't the first time North Korea has used crude insults against Obama and other top U.S. and South Korean officials. Earlier this year, the North called U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry a wolf with a "hideous" lantern jaw and South Korean President Park Geun-hye a prostitute. In May, the North's news agency published a dispatch saying Obama has the "shape of a monkey."
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-calls-obama-monkey-in-hacking-row/ar-BBhg2Mv?ocid=iehp
:downsbravo:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JohnGalt posted:

TheImmigrant posted:

Many English schools there explicitly state a preference for white non-Irish [redundant?] ESL teachers who have low BMIs, no outward defects or abnormalities, and no health impairments of any sort.
Ftfy

There you go

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
See, they just don't want their employees to get in trouble due to their propensity for alcoholism :3:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Which is also why coincidentally the current regime wants it so much too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They probably could do that, but why would they want to? NK is the little retarded brother that they need to pretend they love so they don't get poo poo from the rest of the family, while actually hoping for a quiet demise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah what I'm particularly curious about is how that worked with regards to the UN and US after the war. Obviously they'd have to be still best buddies and it's not like the US was particularly picky about that sort of stuff during the cold war, but still. Were there any efforts to influence the government to be less lovely or what?

"We fought this bloody war against the communist pigs so you could live under this horrendous dictator. You're welcome!"

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 26, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

quote:

...outlawing miniskirts and rock and roll (a move that, according to the South Korean guitar god Shin Joong-hyun, set back the cause of Korean rock, and opened up the way for the electronic pop music that still dominates today)

Oh poo poo, what a monster!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why doesn't Japan then just pay Vietnam directly? Seems like that would solve the problem for everyone. Unless Vietnam committed war crimes against Japan, in which case it's even better and reparations could be canceled out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PenisOfPathos posted:

I think the modern way of doing a surprise attak is to say you're doing a military exercise and then instead of goofing around in some area you pop across the border.

Or ship the troops in with commercial airlines and pretend they're just tourists or maybe motivated locals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So did nobody care at all about this bomb test or what?

Yeah nobody gives a shot or is impressed and it must drive the Kims mad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Kim got himself a new hostage:

North Korea says it has arrested a US student accused of committing a "hostile act" against the state.

quote:

State news agency KCNA identified him as University of Virginia student Otto Frederick Warmbier.

He had entered North Korea as a tourist with the intention "to destroy the country's unity", said KCNA, which added that the US government had "tolerated and manipulated" him.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35379583

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My guess would be that the guy did something to piss off the NK so they grabbed him. Not that that would be sufficient justification by most measures, but it's NK so this should be expected.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, you should know the risks when you go joyriding in a shitheap. Hope the North doesn't get anything out of this.

Let's go a step further and say that the tour companies should provide all their clients with a cyanide pill, to be deployed in case of capture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not completely unexpectedly, it appears that Kim is a Mac user. Should've just let Bush nuke him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's really sad is that I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give him all the propaganda posters he wanted if he just asked. Of course he's just a dumbass who wanted to do something exciting but the way NK spun this into a huge huge conspiracy is just mind blowing, if not unexpected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well yeah he's a (drunk) dumbass but that choice is still disappointing considering they have masterpieces like these:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
North Korea says its has carried out a live-fire artillery drill simulating an attack on the official residence of the South Korean president.

quote:

The exercise was overseen by North leader Kim Jong-un, said the KCNA state news agency, who called on the military to be ready to "ruthlessly" destroy the government in South.

It is the latest in a series of angry gestures by Pyongyang.

The South's President Park Geun-Hye has ordered the army to be on alert.

But she said on Thursday that "reckless provocations will only become a path to self-destruction for the North Korean regime".
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35897957

Stay classy, Kim!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is the guy who said

quote:

"If the people in this country, or in America, knew that there is a country in the world where there is a free education, free housing, free medical care, then they'd have second thoughts," he had said in one speech.
so yeah, really want to hear from him once he gets debriefed :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course. Russia too, for some reason. Check out the anti-imperialism thread if you think I'm kidding.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KaptainKrunk posted:

"Getting tough" sounds nice, but the strategy hasn't worked for two decades and it won't magically start working now.
We haven't bombed them in two decades yet, so there's always an option to "get tougher"! Also we need a new Team America sequel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, that was the Disneyland guy, right? He was my favorite of the Kim brothers :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They were totally rolling over for Russia and the jet but there's nothing NK can give/take that would matter to them so they went nuts

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the NK breaking any treaties with their nuke testing? Not that it matters in practical terms, just curious but not fully up to speed on current international law (lol) in that area.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of souring good relations by doing stupid poo poo, I'm not sure if we discussed the Malaysian reaction to Kim Jong-nam's death. The whole thing was pretty ugly, with the NK ambassador expelled, and NK basically holding Malaysian travelers hostage in exchange for North Korean suspects and KJN's body.

The two women who claimed they were tricked into poisoning him as part of a TV show prank are on trial for murder.
How would you propose they handled an obvious assassination by state actors on their territory?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

You misunderstand me, I absolutely would expect them to expel diplomats, institute a travel ban on NK nationals, and refuse to release the body to anyone but KJN's family. (Kang, the NK ambassador, made a public and ludicrous demand that they release his body to North Korea without even performing an autopsy.) It's a shame NK was able to hold Malaysian travelers in North Korea hostage to force them to buckle on the latter two issues.

I'd propose ending diplomatic relations entirely, but I assume their mutual trade is too valuable to Malaysia.
My bad, then we're in agreement! This is what happens when you work-post (trying to stick it to the capitalist class, ok).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

If you ever go to Moscow, it's the same principle: the metro stations are deep, and can double as bomb shelters. They're also really pretty.
They're also completely jammed full on regular basis by normal commuters

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

My favorite though has to be "Let us launch an all-people campaign to breed rabbits in schools and work-places!"

I agree.
"We will protect your giant rabbits from the evil pigdogs United"?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure that if you choose to move to NK, the regime would be happy to provide you with a telescope or two especially if you promise to help uncover the capitalist moon landing deception.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lum_ posted:

The point wasn't that everyone died (there was still military command and control in place, and the Speaker of the House was alive) but that the political leadership of the country (Kennedy, Johnson, most of the Kennedy cabinet) that was running the crisis negotiation and could have been a voice for de-escalation was wiped out.

While the one successful Soviet strike on the US decapitating the leadership is a stretch, it was necessary to demonstrate the greater point of the story (that even in the most wildly unreasonable fantasy of "winning" a nuclear war, you still lose - 20 years later the US was a marginalized pariah state).
This really should've been obvious even at the time - the Single Integrated Operational Plan basically had almost no flexibility in terms of response so if even if only DC got bombed, the plan would've been triggered and the USSR, as well as possibly China, were toast. Ike wasn't a fan and neither were many in the military command, but the plank stuck around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

I'm sorry if this is veering too off-topic, but since we're here: Anyone know if the US strategic rocket forces leadership is still dominated by millenarian evangelical psychopaths? That one used to keep me up at night :(

No, it's now dominated by millenial douchebags, so sleep tight.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So is nuclear armageddon on hold for now or what? I might be able to go to SK for a few weeks on vacation and it would be a bummer if it got destroyed while I was there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A NK soldier was shot while defecting at the JSA but made it through and should be able to recover. Thankfully this didn't escalate despite the Northerners firing at least 40 shots at him as he was making his run. It would be interesting to see if there's any video of this - the area would be definitely under surveillance, wouldn't it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41979423

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

A NK soldier was shot while defecting at the JSA but made it through and should be able to recover. Thankfully this didn't escalate despite the Northerners firing at least 40 shots at him as he was making his run. It would be interesting to see if there's any video of this - the area would be definitely under surveillance, wouldn't it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41979423

Ha, so there is a video, and it's as dramatic as you could imagine. I can see them making a movie about this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-42075986/north-korea-defection-footage-of-moment-soldier-flees

And btw the guy is apparently better now and wants to watch SK movies.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No way that was intentional, and he then also gets up into the line of fire of his buddy behind him.

cash crab posted:

I'm quite fascinated by this recent defection. He's certainly not the first, but this seems more highly publicized than other attempts.
Well yeah, he literally ran across the world's most defended border in a hail of gunfire. Nobody gives a poo poo about some peasant sneaking across the Chinese border, but this is a highly visible embarrassment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What about the lovely Red Dawn remake? I dunno how much it has to do with the Kims specifically but it's about NK at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the brighter side, if they do meet in NK maybe we can just leave him there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Have you seen Trump? He's incapable of maintaining good relations with Canada, Australia or the EU, how can this possibly not end in disaster.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chomskyan posted:

How is opening diplomatic talks with North Korea with the stated goal of denuclearization "validating Kim's nuclear program"? Your talking point makes no sense. Also North Korea having nukes is a reality, whether the US 'validates' it or not. And as they further develop their nukes and missile technology their bargaining position only gets stronger.
Because the only denuclearization that will be on the table at this point will involve the US leaving Korea, which, if it works, means that anyone (e.g. Iran) can get their way by just ignoring sanctions and making nukes. Most likely this won't happen though and Kim will just brag about how the Americans crawled begging to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah you’re right, the US Secretary if State attending high level meetings in Pyongyang is just a affirmation of the status quo :jerkbag:
When did that happen?

I'm a bit skeptical because NK would be negotiating from the strongest position yet and I see them only increasing demands in a way that wouldn't be acceptable. But let's see.