Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Has he ever been pictured with a cane before? That seems kind of odd to me. No matter how sick KJI got I never saw him use anything other than a bodyguard to prop him up, although It's certainly possible I just missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

That cane might be a symbol that the Kims are effectively out of power. It does seem like a stretch, but that assertion that a council wouldn't let Un make a fool of himself...well, after those incidents, he disappears, misses an extremely important function, and comes back using a cane. That's tinfoil hat territory, for sure, but the military can't really make a blatant play on Kim's life due to how intertwined the Kim bloodline is with the actual North Korean Government. Deposing a Kim by force could lead to a total breakdown. Instead, he steps out of line a couple of times, you show him who the REAL boss is, and you get these overtures out of the blue.

Or maybe they really are just insane and this is just business as usual and he actually did just give himself gout.

Some bonus vice coverage

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 15, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Is it fair to say this is the worst shape they've been in yet? They're never exactly paragons of stability and I have read about the soldiers barely having enough to eat...god, what a catastrophe.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

No. The 90s famine was definitely the worst in their time. Despite how bad things are now, it actually marks an improvement from the 90s (though it's still a massively worse place than the 80s and especially than the 70s).

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Most sources that I read claim that they never really came back from the 90's famine and it's just been all downhill ever since, but I found that a little hard to believe.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Kim Il Sung and the transformation of North Korea into the totalitarian state it became (like with the countless statues and the development of Juche ideology, etc) after the Korean War? I want to focus specifically on the end of the Korean War to Kim Il Sung's death, but it seems like a lot of documentaries focus on Kim Jong Il instead.

Appreciate the help. :)

Kimjongilia, I think, was pretty good. KJI is what was relevant by the time the western world really started paying attention, which I suppose was after the fall of the Berlin Wall/Soviet Union, so naturally a lot of stuff is going to be about him. I

Watching this will probably get you put on some kind of list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Kbn298m0A

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

here, have an article:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jan/06/north-korea-major-announcement-artificial-earthquake-nuclear-test-site-live

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

For KJU, something like that may well be suicide. His life is an insane balancing act and a large part of his being alive is probably because it's only marginally better than what would happen if he were to die. To me, a nuke test reeks of desperation, KJU might be feeling his support slipping among hardliners.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

So did nobody care at all about this bomb test or what?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Usually people get very upset about any of the DPRK's nuke tests. KJU may have needed world powers to come to the table over something. If there's absolutely no concessions made at all it kinda shifts the power dynamic, but it's been shifting ever since KJI died.

KJU needs allies if he intends to keep the DPRK going as a cohesive political entity. The world can't just say 'gently caress it' and walk away and North Korea just keeps chugging along, it doesn't work like that. Someone's probably going to have to start doing some propping sooner or later, and if absolutely everyone is unwilling or unable who knows what could happen.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I disagree, North Korea is rich in natural resources, has a good geographic location and doesn't cost much to run. It can keep going indefinitely as long as the world politely looks away and some unscrupulous characters exist to purchase those goods. All they need is people to not actively resist their activities and all is well for them.

ayyy lmao

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I think in the case of North Korea, a palace coup than a civil war, but whomever would take over would most likely play more or less the same game they are doing right now. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be that surprised if North Korea has some more missile tests in the near future to more or less project their full capacity. I still don't think they have true ICBM, but even a single/double stage missile armed with a boosted fission warhead is something to ponder (especially if you're Japanese).

That would be all fine and dandy if it wasn't for the cult of Kim being necessary to a functioning government. They could install one of his other idiot kids I suppose, but my guess is when/if KJU goes down it'll take the whole country with him.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Juffo-Wup posted:

This is ignoring the possibility of a messy regime collapse where a firm chain of ownership for those weapons is not assured.

I wonder just how likely this is? A messy regime change I mean.

I also wonder how global warming has affected the DPRK's climate. A couple of bad growing seasons and no way to bargain for aid from a position of strength? Not great.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Juffo-Wup posted:

I honestly don't know. What degree of likelihood do you think would amount to an unacceptable risk?

Honestly, the way that the parties involved reckon risk I think any likelihood is probably too much for them. Even a totally peaceful regime change has so many challenges and problems it's mind boggling.

Juffo-Wup posted:

Yes, if you manage to convince yourself that The Enemy is an irrational brute that will squander any opportunity to advance their interests in favor of short term advantage then there will never be any incentive on our part to extend an olive branch ever again, that's right. Well done, you've doomed the world to perpetual war.

If it's not clear, I'm disputing your account of the historical record.

e:

This report suggests that NK has about 10-15 warheads now, and may have as many as 30-50 by 2020. And it's pretty clear from their testing program that they're working on the deliverability problem. So how much do we want to gamble on the conviction that they're not going to make any progress there?

Honestly, it is astounding to me that I am having to work to convince people that a rogue nuclear state is a Bad Thing. I expected to have trouble convincing people that the Kim regime can be negotiated with, but I really did not expect such a blase attitude about the existence of a growing nuclear weapons program in a nation that is ostensibly hostile to US interests. Bizzarre.

The DPRK has made it beyond clear that they're going to maintain their nuclear program no matter what. The DPRK is like a geopolitical version of the boy who cried wolf. After a while it's just tough to take them seriously at all, and going to maximum red alert every time they do some saber rattling is extremely counter-productive.

Honestly, far more than any kind of movement by the DPRK military I'd be more worried about sharing of nuclear fuel and secrets with rogue actors.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I still can't believe all the crap the VICE guy pulled off. At least he wasn't dumb enough to ask a Korean Citizen point blank if they had any criticisms of the Kim family in front of a camera like Lisa Ling did.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

That period where they tried to make the DPRK the go-to villain in movies was a fun year or two. What's especially funny is that in at least two cases I can think of (Red Dawn and Homefront) they were used at the last minute in place of the Chinese.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Juffo-Wup posted:

For Red Dawn, wasn't it a condition of the film's Chinese release?

http://screenrant.com/red-dawn-villains-china-north-korea-schrad-106177/

quote:

Around the time MGM first delayed the release of Red Dawn, a Chinese newspaper called the Global Times expressed concerns that the film would demonize their state and its citizens (thanks in part to certain leaked images from the set). Evidently, this may have been a factor in scaring off potential distributors who were apprehensive about what effect their involvement with the film would have on future dealings with China.

So without any official complaints from the Chinese government, MGM will spend $1 million to construct a new opening sequence, re-edit several scenes, and digitally change Chinese symbols into Korean. It may sound somewhat ridiculous, but the fact of the matter is that the studio really had no alternative. If the film fails to secure distribution, it could wind up going straight to video – or being permanently shelved.

Nope, they just chickened out! For good reason, probably. The DPRK aren't really credible scary villains either. They have an aging conventional military that's largely been contained, and it really strains credible thought to think that the DPRK would be able to mount an occupation of the western United States.

Halloween Jack posted:

We're more likely to be invaded by aliens and fight them off with battleships than to be invaded by North Korea.

See now that's plausible

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

There's already been a lot of signs that the regime is under a ton of strain, and KJU isn't his father.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Have there? There have been signs that Kim Jong-Un's position is under strain, but that doesn't mean the regime itself is in danger - it just means that KJU himself is in danger of having some tragic accident, like falling down the stairs...into a hail of machinegun fire. Dictatorships run by weak dictators are usually more stable than they appear, because the system isn't overly dependent on a particular Supreme Leader, so it's quite easy for a military coup to kill the current one and swap in a new one at the slightest hint of trouble.

The Kim cult of personality is famous for a reason. He is the state. I don't think there's any real way to predict what would happen if there was a coup that attempted to place someone in power who wasn't a legitimate heir to the Kim dynasty. They might be able to contort some kind of working world view out of it, but there's an equally likely chance of becoming a failed state that requires international support to stabilize.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I think that kids sentence is way too harsh

10 years would have probably been fine, or maybe a public beating. Any 20 year old should be more than able to understand 'North Korea is absolutely not loving around'.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

You seem to be under the impression that North Korea is a rational state governed by the rule of law, with an eye towards proportional punishment. It is not.

I was being glib, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

And, not that anyone noticed, but South Korea's ruling party just not only lost its legislative majority but actually (barely) came in second behind the main opposition group in their legislative elections.

I don't follow Korean politics, so could you elaborate on the implications?