Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Holy gently caress what is it with goons suddenly going "Oh, well I'd love to visit North Korea". There's literally nothing to to but stay at the one hotel for foreigners, and be lead around by a tour guide to see the great triumphs of North Korea's prosperous rule. Plus all the money goes directly into the pockets of a tyrannical system. It's like saying you want to visit Syria but only if your money went straight into Assad's pockets.

I'd love to do it to see the unique surreality of the place. I wouldn't do it because of the reasons you mention, and because knowing what I'm not seeing would make it very depressing. It's not complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

KORNOLOGY posted:

Bitching about our lives defines every aspect of being American. Especially the parts that contradict that.

Or to put it another way, no one in the US really disputes American exceptionalism, just what direction it lies in.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I wouldn't doubt it. There are a few countries still using the T-34 today, along with one or two that use the M4 Sherman as well.

If all your tanks are likely to do is roll over some civilians, WWII models work as well as anything.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Isn't "too small to really make a difference but too big to ignore" brinksmanship 101 anyway?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Tias posted:

Yeah, no, we're taking them just fine. Hell, millions of refugees would not bring Europe to it's knees. Sure, our politicians and populations are racist fuckholes who paint it that way, but infrastructurally the problem simply does not exist.

Lebanon, a country of 6 million, with none of Europes hyper-modern infrastructure and economic surplus, took 2 million refugees and has not been 'brought to its knees', whatever that is supposed to mean.

Yeah, it's safer to say that many Europeans were brought right down to the ground by the refugee problem, but only in this sense:

That said, even if China were completely willing and able there would still be massive chaos, suffering, and financial costs involved in a NK refugee crisis, and even were everyone all to agree waiting only makes it worse, it should be no surprise people aren't lining up to pull the trigger.